Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 12-12-2022, 10:34 PM #1

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):

Default Romantic Relationships pushed in TV shows & movies?

I saw a poll on YouTube about sexuality in characters, and I was also thinking about Wednesday Addams and relationships in general. Do you ever think romantic relationships get
shoehorned ALOT.... these days into every TV show & movie? .

I was never a big fan of big bang theory,but I still think Sheldon should have stayed single . I always saw characters like Sheldon Cooper , Sherlock Holmes & Wednesday Addams as being Asexual.

I would even go as far as to say Velma in scooby doo ,Elsa in Frozen & Merida in Brave aswell ......were also far LESS interested in Romance . And MORE focused on other stuff in their life ,& perfectly content staying that way .

And I actually wish that was shown more in movies & TV shows. We all know Asexual people exist,but we rarely see it portrayed . .... it's as if it's seen as odd or something strange ,for some to just be single and happy that way .

Then out the blue they get involved with a random love interest ...which feels either contrived ,or too awkward to be believable. Anyway that's my thoughts .

Last edited by GoldHeart; 12-12-2022 at 10:50 PM.
GoldHeart is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 12:09 AM #2
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

I honestly agree with every word that's been said in the OP.

I'm not against romance in a story if it's not intrusive, or that it works in the story for whatever reason.

But a lot of the time fiction can be guilty of shoehorning romance into their story when it would work a lot better without it.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 12:39 AM #3

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
I honestly agree with every word that's been said in the OP.

I'm not against romance in a story if it's not intrusive, or that it works in the story for whatever reason.

But a lot of the time fiction can be guilty of shoehorning romance into their story when it would work a lot better without it.
I would like to see a story for a change , where romance ISN'T the focus. But it seems impossible these days. A person is seen as 'weird' if they're happy to stay single ..... it's even written and joked about in tv shows & movies.

I don't know if you've ever seen Skins ??, but the Third Generation had a character called Franky.... and she was this awkward tomboy misfit trying to fit in , further down the line they completely wrecked and destroyed her character and everything she originally stood for. There's was no growth or anything.

And it was just awful what they did to her , it also turned out in real life all the teenage girls in skins ..... were more or less sexually objectified by the directors/producers in some way, to the point where some of them have spoken out now about how uncomfortable and unprepared they felt.
Old 13-12-2022, 02:20 AM #4

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
I would like to see a story for a change , where romance ISN'T the focus. But it seems impossible these days. A person is seen as 'weird' if they're happy to stay single ..... it's even written and joked about in tv shows & movies.

I don't know if you've ever seen Skins ??, but the Third Generation had a character called Franky.... and she was this awkward tomboy misfit trying to fit in , further down the line they completely wrecked and destroyed her character and everything she originally stood for. There's was no growth or anything.

And it was just awful what they did to her , it also turned out in real life all the teenage girls in skins ..... were more or less sexually objectified by the directors/producers in some way, to the point where some of them have spoken out now about how uncomfortable and unprepared they felt.
I've never watched Skins, but what you've described sounds terrible on and off screen.

And I agree, some Shows/Movies are so obsessed with Romance that they forget that they're meant to develop other storylines and character dynamics as well.

Obviously I understand Soap Operas & other kinds of Romance works being like that, but I'm thinking of Shows that aren't meant to be about Romance, but become really obsessed with it.

And just to add, I agree with you that it's not healthy for characters to just be obsessed with Romance either.

KRO!

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 13-12-2022 at 02:22 AM.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 12:55 PM #5
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

I agree and would add that the WORST thing a show can do - and many are guilty - is shoehorning a relationship between two characters because the fans "ship" that relationship and want to see it happen... even if it doesn't actually fit the characters.

It also never works out as the fans hoped, for that same reason. It works fine in a janky fanfic... but when it's written into the show... it comes across the same; like fanfic.
Soldier Boy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 02:28 PM #6

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Boy View Post
I agree and would add that the WORST thing a show can do - and many are guilty - is shoehorning a relationship between two characters because the fans "ship" that relationship and want to see it happen... even if it doesn't actually fit the characters.

It also never works out as the fans hoped, for that same reason. It works fine in a janky fanfic...but when it's written into the show... it comes across the same; like fanfic.
Yeah it's like when Buffy got with Spike , or when Rachel & Joey had a brief romance . Both these felt contrived and off .

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
movies, pushed, relationships, romantic, shows, tv