Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2024, 08:28 AM #26
Oliver_W's Avatar
Oliver_W Oliver_W is offline
POW! BLAM!
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bill's Secret Garden
Posts: 16,140

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie


Oliver_W Oliver_W is offline
POW! BLAM!
Oliver_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bill's Secret Garden
Posts: 16,140

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
Hollow win.
Frankly meaningless.
The whole thing was a meaningless waste of time, tbh.
Does anyone really think Israel cares if the UK asks for a ceasefire?
Have they nothing better to do?
__________________


Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 08:38 AM #27
Cherie's Avatar
Cherie Cherie is offline
This Witch doesn't burn
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 61,839

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian


Cherie Cherie is offline
This Witch doesn't burn
Cherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 61,839

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
The whole thing was a meaningless waste of time, tbh.
Does anyone really think Israel cares if the UK asks for a ceasefire?
Have they nothing better to do?
Exactly what I said to Mr C last night, complete waste of time, Nethanyahu is not listening to Biden why would the UK have any influence and even less so now after this farce
__________________


'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 08:39 AM #28
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
The voice of reason
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 94,462


LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
The voice of reason
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 94,462


Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
The whole thing was a meaningless waste of time, tbh.
Does anyone really think Israel cares if the UK asks for a ceasefire?
Have they nothing better to do?
Its blatant anti-semistism and tribalism (Israel somehow = right-wing capitalism)

embarrassing from the left

and

We have a problem with Islamist extremism in England that requires immediate and drastic action.

Last edited by LeatherTrumpet; 22-02-2024 at 08:41 AM.
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 08:42 AM #29
joeysteele joeysteele is online now
Remembering Kerry
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: with Mystic Mock
Posts: 41,431

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY


joeysteele joeysteele is online now
Remembering Kerry
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: with Mystic Mock
Posts: 41,431

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
The whole thing was a meaningless waste of time, tbh.
Does anyone really think Israel cares if the UK asks for a ceasefire?
Have they nothing better to do?
The way I see it now as and I agree with all you say above.

I think the SNP used this ceasefire motion to try to expose divisions in both Parties.

The SNP motion without either Labour or Con amendments would have been voted down by the government voting numbers anyhow.
So were the SNP really serious.

For me, the one who came across the worst though was Stephen Flynn, he was rightly annoyed but came across too aggressive.

Really however, the whole parliamentary process needs updating.
It doesn't serve anyone now.
It's Party leadership dictating to MPs what they should think and do, immaterial of what they feel as to their own conscience on very serious issues.

Last edited by joeysteele; 22-02-2024 at 08:43 AM.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 08:59 AM #30
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
The voice of reason
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 94,462


LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
The voice of reason
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 94,462


Exclamation

Patrick O'Flynn (Political Commentator):

Being widely reported that the Speaker allowed the Lab amendment because so many Lab MPs were scared of potential violence if they could not vote for it.

*FROM ISLAMISTS*.

That's the story: Islamic radicals have warped British democracy via implied threats of violence.

Last edited by LeatherTrumpet; 22-02-2024 at 09:00 AM.
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 09:00 AM #31
bitontheslide's Avatar
bitontheslide bitontheslide is offline
self-oscillating
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 46,240

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian


bitontheslide bitontheslide is offline
self-oscillating
bitontheslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 46,240

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian


Default

snp and the tories walked out, so it was hardly a democratic vote

It was all political show boating. The simple fact is that the uk parliament is as fractured as the relationship between israel and hamas, it's just that there were no guns in parliament
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 09:12 AM #32
arista's Avatar
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,365
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,365
Default

So far,
59 MP's
sign a no-confidence motion in the Hoyle.

That number is going up as they speak

SkyNewsHD Live

Last edited by arista; 22-02-2024 at 11:12 AM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 09:15 AM #33
bitontheslide's Avatar
bitontheslide bitontheslide is offline
self-oscillating
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 46,240

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian


bitontheslide bitontheslide is offline
self-oscillating
bitontheslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 46,240

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian


Default

the speaker ought to be finished, we will see
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 09:16 AM #34
arista's Avatar
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,365
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,365
Default

Yes, he was advised to not change things,
last night.

Last edited by arista; 22-02-2024 at 09:19 AM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 09:22 AM #35
bitontheslide's Avatar
bitontheslide bitontheslide is offline
self-oscillating
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 46,240

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian


bitontheslide bitontheslide is offline
self-oscillating
bitontheslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 46,240

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian


Default

The speaker based his decision on the threat and intimidation being made to labour mp's .... and we can't have our parliament give in to that. That is why he must go
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 09:38 AM #36
arista's Avatar
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,365
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,365
Default



Some of the MP's
demanding he goes
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 09:40 AM #37
arista's Avatar
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,365
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,365
Default

arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 09:52 AM #38
Oliver_W's Avatar
Oliver_W Oliver_W is offline
POW! BLAM!
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bill's Secret Garden
Posts: 16,140

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie


Oliver_W Oliver_W is offline
POW! BLAM!
Oliver_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bill's Secret Garden
Posts: 16,140

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 11:16 AM #39
arista's Avatar
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,365
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
The speaker based his decision on the threat and intimidation being made to labour mp's .... and we can't have our parliament give in to that. That is why he must go

Yes many on the Media
are saying the same
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 11:28 AM #40
Cherie's Avatar
Cherie Cherie is offline
This Witch doesn't burn
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 61,839

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian


Cherie Cherie is offline
This Witch doesn't burn
Cherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 61,839

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian


Default

Very worrying trend, think alot of MPs will step down due to the fear of violence against them and their families and who could blame them?
__________________


'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 11:42 AM #41
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
The voice of reason
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 94,462


LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
The voice of reason
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 94,462


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Very worrying trend, think alot of MPs will step down due to the fear of violence against them and their families and who could blame them?
If only some political figure had warned the UK about this like 10 years ago...


LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 11:44 AM #42
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
The voice of reason
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 94,462


LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
The voice of reason
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 94,462


Cool

or even a chap called Stephen

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 11:45 AM #43
arista's Avatar
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,365
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Very worrying trend, think alot of MPs will step down due to the fear of violence against them and their families and who could blame them?
Yes we
need Law and Order.

Male MP's need a gun.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 11:46 AM #44
arista's Avatar
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,365
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
or even a chap called Stephen


No way on him
LT.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 11:47 AM #45
joeysteele joeysteele is online now
Remembering Kerry
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: with Mystic Mock
Posts: 41,431

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY


joeysteele joeysteele is online now
Remembering Kerry
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: with Mystic Mock
Posts: 41,431

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Very worrying trend, think alot of MPs will step down due to the fear of violence against them and their families and who could blame them?
I agree, no one could or should blame anyone concerned about fear of violence against them, standing down.

It's been a long ambition of mine to seek to be an MP.
However I am seriously thinking of, REALLY do I want to risk putting myself into that arena.

Politics has sunk further down the gutter than it's ever been in post war.
In recent times there's been the stabbing of Stephen Timms , the vicious brutal murder of Jo Cox, then the brutal murder of David Amess.

However there are really terrifying threats now being made against MPs of ALL Parties.
Plus not only against them but their families and friends too.

Politics is too divisive.
Not helped by the awful current leaders of all political Parties.
I cannot see any way currently around that very sadly and in fact worryingly.

Last edited by joeysteele; 22-02-2024 at 11:50 AM.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 12:02 PM #46
bitontheslide's Avatar
bitontheslide bitontheslide is offline
self-oscillating
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 46,240

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian


bitontheslide bitontheslide is offline
self-oscillating
bitontheslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 46,240

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian


Default

The MP's say they are being threatened, but the language they choose to use against political opponents encourages it
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 12:15 PM #47
joeysteele joeysteele is online now
Remembering Kerry
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: with Mystic Mock
Posts: 41,431

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY


joeysteele joeysteele is online now
Remembering Kerry
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: with Mystic Mock
Posts: 41,431

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
The MP's say they are being threatened, but the language they choose to use against political opponents encourages it
You are spot on there too.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 01:13 PM #48
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
The voice of reason
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 94,462


LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
The voice of reason
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 94,462


Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
The MP's say they are being threatened, but the language they choose to use against political opponents encourages it
Like when that aggressive extreme left labour woman called Conservatives "scum"

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 01:17 PM #49
Gusto Brunt's Avatar
Gusto Brunt Gusto Brunt is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 13,184


Gusto Brunt Gusto Brunt is online now
Senior Member
Gusto Brunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 13,184


Default

I've never actually liked this Speaker. He seems arrogant and not remotely likeable.

You can be a great Speaker without being a big mouth bully.

I think he should go.
Gusto Brunt is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 01:23 PM #50
arista's Avatar
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,365
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 167,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Like when that aggressive extreme left Labour woman called Conservatives "scum"


Yes causing threats on some Conservative MP's
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
21 or feb or 24, 7pm, gaza, hoyle, lindsay, parliament, speaker, uk, vote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
 

About Us ThisisBigBrother.com

"Big Brother and UK Television Forum. Est. 2001"

 

© 2023
no new posts