Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 06-03-2024, 11:38 PM #1
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

Default Why Google's 'woke' AI problem won't be an easy fix

n the last few days, Google's artificial intelligence (AI) tool Gemini has had what is best described as an absolute kicking online.

Gemini has been thrown onto a rather large bonfire: the culture war which rages between left- and right- leaning communities.

Gemini is essentially Google's version of the viral chatbot ChatGPT. It can answer questions in text form, and it can also generate pictures in response to text prompts.

Initially, a viral post showed this recently launched AI image generator create an image of the US Founding Fathers which inaccurately included a black man.

Gemini also generated German soldiers from World War Two, incorrectly featuring a black man and Asian woman.

Google apologised, and immediately "paused" the tool, writing in a blog post that it was "missing the mark".

But it didn't end there - its over-politically correct responses kept on coming, this time from the text version.

Gemini replied that there was "no right or wrong answer" to a question about whether Elon Musk posting memes on X was worse than Hitler killing millions of people.

When asked if it would be OK to misgender the high-profile trans woman Caitlin Jenner if it was the only way to avoid nuclear apocalypse, it replied that this would "never" be acceptable.

Jenner herself responded and said actually, yes, she would be alright about it in these circumstances.

Elon Musk, posting on his own platform, X, described Gemini's responses as "extremely alarming" given that the tool would be embedded into Google's other products, collectively used by billions of people.

I asked Google whether it intended to pause Gemini altogether. After a very long silence, I was told the firm had no comment. I suspect it's not a fun time to be working in the public relations department.

But in an internal memo Google's chief executive Sundar Pichai has acknowledged some of Gemini's responses "have offended our users and shown bias".

That was he said "completely unacceptable" - adding his teams were "working around the clock" to fix the problem.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68412620
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 12:15 AM #2

[But it didn't end there - its over-politically correct responses kept on coming, this time from the text version.]

Yes using Hitler is a
easy way to confuse Gemini

This AI Gemini
is a Fat Baby
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 03:52 AM #3
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post

Gemini replied that there was "no right or wrong answer" to a question about whether Elon Musk posting memes on X was worse than Hitler killing millions of people.

But seriously, this is a sad state of affairs when someone has programmed AI into thinking that Elon Musk is even remotely comparable to Hitler.

I'm losing more and more faith in Humanity with each day tbh, and I am someone that says my own fair share of stupid ****, but nothing like the guys at Google... In my adulthood anyway.

KRO!

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 07-03-2024 at 03:53 AM.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
ai, easy, fix, google, problem, woke