Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 25-07-2007, 02:01 PM #1
Banned

Banned

Default mud eruption on Mars

do you believe there are living beings out there?

ref:

Quote:
Iranian discovers mud eruption on Mars
Wed, 25 Jul 2007 16:02:34

Iranian researcher Abbas Kangi has explored and discovered a scientific phenomenon dubbed mud eruption on the planet Mars.

Iranian geologist at Shahroud Azad (open) University Dr. Abbas Kangi said on Wednesday that after years of extensive scientific research on the Mars planet, "I've discovered a scientific phenomenon known as mud eruption."

In an interview with IRNA, he said his article themed "Exploration of Mud Eruption on Mars Planet" has been published in Acta Astronautica, a journal of the International Academy of Astronautics.

"Mud eruption follows a massive explosion and emits a very bad smell," he pointed out.

Eruptions on Mars date back to 20 million years, he said.

"Since mud eruption creates a suitable environment for the growth of microscopic organisms, the same might happen in Mars and therefore we assume that fossils of these creatures might be found near the mud volcano," the scientist explained.

Since the shortest distance between the Earth and Mars is about 55 million kilometers, "we have no alternative but to work on Earth as a model", he said.

"In the vicinity of this volcano cone, most of the lava is covered with a thick layer of loose sediments (probably clay). The presence of such sediments at the base of the volcano cone has led to the formation of several major landslides."

"Moreover, water flow on the volcano cone has created a myriad of radial channels. The formation of which is only plausible as a result of eruption of mud from its crater. Besides, the constant discharge of mud-like substances as well as hot water from the volcano set the conditions for the growth and evolution of hydrothermal organisms," he told ISNA in an earlier interview.

rex3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 02:02 PM #2

Not on Mars but somewhere possibly.
cgimusic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 06:59 PM #3

I was disappointed to find the Cydonia face was after all just a rock formation enhanced by shaded area.

Do I believe in life out there ?

I've agreed with Dr Carl Sagans comment about that - "if we are the only intelligent life in the universe, its a hell of a waste of space"

So yes I do, statistically it is a certainty.

Will we ever meet intelligent extra terrestrial life in my lifetime ?

No, unless they come a calling and manage not to crash in some deserted backwater - (again ? ).

Until we have the technical capacity to make proper inroads into space and leave our solar system I think its pretty much certain that we will never discover other lifeforms, why should they come to us, it would be the equivalent of NASA sending a manned space flight to see monkeys in Africa.

Considering the nature of the human animal, to make war on each other and consume our world with no thought for its future - maybe we shouldn't inflict ourselves on any other species or anywhere else we can rape for materials without any due consideration or care for its future .
spacebandit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 07:24 PM #4
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

I think it would be incredibly arrogant of us to think we are the only life in the universe.
lily. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 07:28 PM #5

I would like to know how they know the eruptions have a bad smell. Do the Iranians have better noses than the Americans,,, Sorry it's a serious debate I know but can't stop laughing.......
bananarama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 07:37 PM #6

Space is endless, vast amounts of space out there.

We are merely a dot compared to anything out there and to say we are the only living thing capable of doing anything would as Stropz said, be very arrogant.

I'd love us to be able to comminicate with distant planets who do have life on them but i know this probably won't happen in my lifetime, unless a major breakthrough in technology occurs.
Tanser_Man is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 11:38 AM #7

And for the third time in 3 days. Monty Python.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JSR_6qfXTg
Dr43%er is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 07:59 PM #8

Quote:
Originally posted by Tanser_Man

We are merely a dot compared to anything out there and to say we are the only living thing capable of doing anything would as Stropz said, be very arrogant.

I'd love us to be able to comminicate with distant planets who do have life on them but i know this probably won't happen in my lifetime, unless a major breakthrough in technology occurs.
If intelligent life exists comunication will never realistically be possible in anyones life time now or in the future.

The nearest possibility of life is many many light years away.
If contact was established it would take many many years for them to hear the first message and visa versa.....

As for travelling to another life source one would have to travel near the speed of light to make the trip in one of our life spans......

Unless there is some bizzar twist in nature physical communication with other beings will never happen.
Old 26-07-2007, 08:11 PM #9

Favourites (more):
BB13: Scott
BB12: Louise

Favourites (more):
BB13: Scott
BB12: Louise

There will be other life out there but never ever will we see it
LovelyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 06:13 PM #10

Heres a thought. If we were chatting on a forum coming from another life source 20 light years away and we insult someone there it would take 20 years to hear of a moderators ban..
Old 27-07-2007, 10:58 PM #11
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by spacebandit

I've agreed with Dr Carl Sagans comment about that - "if we are the only intelligent life in the universe, its a hell of a waste of space"

You first need to look at where the Sun is.

Then, you need to measure the distance between the Sun & Earth.

After that, go see if there are any planets or stars with life on them.

After the scientists and astronomers come up blank, then start to go away from the Sun and keep going & going & going, until the planets and stars are much further away from the Sun.

These planets will be less likely to be inhabitable, since the temperature level of the planet will be so-much below freezing, that the chances of life would be impossible.

Then you go even further away and then you get to understand the word "Impossible" and that is the answer to your question.

There is ONLY Earth and that's it, regarding life.......Human, Animal, + other things.....

Regarding the article at hand, what a waste of time worrying about Mars.

The only Mars I am interested in, is the one I eat With chocolate and caramel within

nodisharmony
nodisharmony is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 09:13 AM #12
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Originally posted by bananarama
Heres a thought. If we were chatting on a forum coming from another life source 20 light years away and we insult someone there it would take 20 years to hear of a moderators ban..
Im sure interspace broadband speeds will have shot through the roof in a few years time so no worries their.
Stu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 10:20 AM #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu
Quote:
Im sure interspace broadband speeds will have shot through the roof in a few years time so no worries their.

Broadband faster then light!!! Can't wait.....
Old 29-07-2007, 06:14 PM #14
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Stu
Quote:

Broadband faster then light!!! Can't wait.....
The future is bright , and faster than light , with orange broadband [they paid me to say that].
Stu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 10:51 PM #15

Quote:
Originally posted by nodisharmony
Quote:

You first need to look at where the Sun is.

Then, you need to measure the distance between the Sun & Earth.

After that, go see if there are any planets or stars with life on them.

After the scientists and astronomers come up blank, then start to go away from the Sun and keep going & going & going, until the planets and stars are much further away from the Sun.

These planets will be less likely to be inhabitable, since the temperature level of the planet will be so-much below freezing, that the chances of life would be impossible.

Then you go even further away and then you get to understand the word "Impossible" and that is the answer to your question.

nodisharmony
OMG - I can't decide if that reply is that reply is absolutely hilarious or something else.

You don't even understand the difference between a solar system and a universe.

You pronounce it "impossible" based on your theory that they are too far away from our sun ??

Other stars depend on our sun for light and energy ?

Clearly you think you are far more knowledgable than Dr Sagan was, who's quote I used and which you highlighted - and then tried to shoot down in order to explain what is possible and impossible in the universe as you think it is.
Old 29-07-2007, 11:42 PM #16
Banned

Banned

Quote:

OMG - I can't decide if that reply is that reply is absolutely hilarious or something else.
It is the reply, as it is in this thread and the author of that post is me Anyone reading this thread can read that true fact.

Quote:

Our Solar System is the space which occupies all the planets orbiting the sun. The closest being "Mercury" and the furthest away, being "Pluto".

Now, the hottest planet is obviously the nearest planet to the Sun. Also, the furthest away, will naturally be the coldest planet in our Solar System.

Earth is full of life, as it is positioned (in the right place) in our Solar System. Everything in exactly the right proportion. Temperature, Oxygen, etc.. etc.. This certainly helped things along.

The Universe is naturally much bigger. (Endless) is one word which get's used quite a bit Possibly true?

I do understand the difference between the Solar System and the Universe and words from (the), to the (contrary) are laughable in itself

Quote:

You pronounce it "impossible" based on your theory that they are too far away from our sun ??
To find the answer to that comment, you need to understand what I have just written above first Get past that obstacle, and you'll learn, well, maybe

Pluto is uninhabitable, because........(I'll let you explain what we already know)

Quote:

And? So? Elaborate the significance of that comment?

Quote:

Clearly you think you are far more knowledgable than Dr Sagan was, who's quote I used and which you highlighted - and then tried to shoot down in order to explain what is possible and impossible in the universe as you think it is.
So, I am more knowledgable about astronomy than Dr Sagan??? Where do you get off on that piece of supposition?

Quote:
Admin deleted this quote. Member disputes that he wrote these words.
Answer me this Spacebandit? Where is the next closest Sun to our's?

also...

If you know the answer to that? How long would it take to travel there?

also...

How do we know where the next closest Sun is?

nodisharmony
Old 29-07-2007, 11:56 PM #17

Quote:
Originally posted by Tanser_Man

Space is very big as you say But time is also very very big Our time on Earth is very small compared to the amount of time

So maybe other beings like us have Grown in evolution like us and Then Died out in the Long scale of time
AlexTheGreat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 12:10 AM #18

There's a theory that if intelligent life had ever developed in the universe before life on Earth it should have had time by now to travel to, explore and settle on every planetary system in the universe (or was it galaxy, can't remember).

Therefore no other intelligent life has existed away from the Earth because we don't have any evidence of aliens exploring or colonising this planet in its past. QED.

But it's just a theory...

I watched 2001 on TV the other day again. Great film.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 12:22 AM #19

Quote:

also...

also...

nodisharmony
I wont bother with the rest of your post as you do not understand what you wrote yourself.

Except.....

Closest sun to ours is Proxima Centauri, though it won't always be the closest due to it being in a cluster of the three stars we know as the Alpha centauri system.

We couldn't have a manned flight their with our current level of technology

The next closest sun is Rigil Kentaurus
Old 30-07-2007, 12:34 AM #20
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Considering the nature of the human animal, to make war on each other and consume our world with no thought for its future - maybe we shouldn't inflict ourselves on any other species or anywhere else we can rape for materials without any due consideration or care for its future .
A consideration applied to all human nature?

Personally, I think your view-point only applies to certain humans. Evolution itself defines survival as human nature’s integral facet. The instinct of the ‘hunter - gatherer’ might stop short of anything more than fulfilling one’s needs to survive, given the conscience and empathy of the evolved human being is what sets us so far apart from other animals.

I think what your theory alludes to, spacebandit, is the nature of the bully. The parasite. One who takes and keeps taking. One whose egomania is so rampant that no amount is enough to satisfy, leading to them seeking satisfaction in destruction, with no ability to appreciate that they themselves are merely a part of nature and easily capable of maintaining balance if their conceit and delusion would allow it.

Of course, the egomaniac may claim that “man himself will wipe out man”. Some people become so enamoured by the achievements of the human race, there’s that underlying notion amongst the conceited and delusional that the war-mongers who plan, execute and glorify destruction and in turn gain power or dominance, must therefore be nature’s ideal of the evolved human being. I tend to disagree. I wouldn’t dismiss the theory that the rapid evolution of scientific research and development happens to coincide with the relatively slower evolution of ‘man’, resulting in an almost ‘Catch-22’ scenario where man’s more undesirable, cowardly instincts learn to exploit the triumphs and hard work of others, so as to achieve that power, fulfil that greed and satisfy a lust for chaos (e.g. Any war-monger from history you’d care to name).

So, could man’s wars really wipe out humanity? As I’ve stated, I’m sure the egotistical war-mongers would love to think so. Personally, I think it’s equally as likely they’d just wipe themselves out…
…and, as Jesus Christ supposedly said in his sermon on the mount…“blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth”.

If mother nature proves too strong a force for the ruinous endeavours of some people, I think humanity could, one day, get the opportunity to evolve it’s technological capabilities and pursue the goal of finding extra-terrestrial life-forms, and who knows what else?

Maybe the evolved human race of the future will be a much more appealing race to visit, from the point of view of extra-terrestrials?

Admin edit: removed emphasis of certain words
the_chosen_one is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 12:36 AM #21

Quote:
Quote:

It is the reply, as it is in this thread and the author of that post is me Anyone reading this thread can read that true fact.

Quote:

Our Solar System is the space which occupies all the planets orbiting the sun. The closest being "Mercury" and the furthest away, being "Pluto".

Now, the hottest planet is obviously the nearest planet to the Sun. Also, the furthest away, will naturally be the coldest planet in our Solar System.

Earth is full of life, as it is positioned (in the right place) in our Solar System. Everything in exactly the right proportion. Temperature, Oxygen, etc.. etc.. This certainly helped things along.

The Universe is naturally much bigger. (Endless) is one word which get's used quite a bit Possibly true?

I do understand the difference between the Solar System and the Universe and words from (the), to the (contrary) are laughable in itself

Quote:

To find the answer to that comment, you need to understand what I have just written above first Get past that obstacle, and you'll learn, well, maybe

Pluto is uninhabitable, because........(I'll let you explain what we already know)

Quote:

And? So? Elaborate the significance of that comment?

Quote:

So, I am more knowledgable about astronomy than Dr Sagan??? Where do you get off on that piece of supposition?

Quote:

I would doubt quite obviously, that you don't even come anywhere near someone like him either, in fact, more like 10, 000 times beneath that scale

also...

also...

nodisharmony
Old 30-07-2007, 12:45 AM #22
Banned

Banned

Quote:

I wont bother with the rest of your post as you do not understand what you wrote yourself.
Very typical response Should I add some, no, not necessary. My last post before this explains all

Quote:

Closest sun to ours is Proxima Centauri, though it won't always be the closest due to it being in a cluster of the three stars we know as the Alpha centauri system.

We couldn't have a manned flight their with our current level of technology

The next closest sun is Rigil Kentaurus
Very nice names for the nearest and furthest Sun's, next to our own....

So, can you add any more specifics Like, how do we know of it's existance, when we can't get anywhere near it?

How do we work out it's mass (Size)?

Is it a Telescope job and an assumption made from a good educated guess?

Was a space-shuttle/rocket/whatever sent into deep space and then, the information about the two closest Suns was brought about from that?

If the Sun's do exist and are of a similar mass, then you also need to understand that there must be a planet or planets orbiting that Sun, within a similar or excact location to what we have here with Planet Earth.

The speculation here is emmense.

All those Stars in our sky and amongst them, we see Two Sun's, that are soooooo near and the possibilities are endless due to the Astronomers findings.

But, the evidence is still very thin and when you realise, how far away those two Suns, (Whether real, or not??) are? Everything which goes with that is pretty much speculative.

Many books and information on Astronomy is very interesting, but, distance is the enemy and from what you have said, it could very much stay that way.

nodisharmony
Old 30-07-2007, 12:50 AM #23

Quote:
Very nice names for the nearest and furthest Sun's, next to our own....

So, can you add any more specifics Like, how do we know of it's existance, when we can't get anywhere near it?

nodisharmony
they may indeed be very nice names, I have no opinion on the flowery nature of such specifics in this case, I neither invented them or made it up.

Admin edited
Old 30-07-2007, 12:57 AM #24
Banned

Banned

Quote:

they may indeed be very nice names, I have no opinion on the flowery nature of such specifics in this case, I neither invented them or made it up.
Just a nice observation, due to the lovely names. I know you haven't made them up, as you have found the information on the web or from the book and have amazed us all, with what any of us could easily find out

Admin edited

I shall repeat the question once more:-
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------

Let's try again

nodisharmony
Old 30-07-2007, 12:57 AM #25

No offence nodisharmony but your knowledge of cosmology is too basic to stand in this thread.
Jack is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
eruption, mars, mud