Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:57 AM #26
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Because the strange nurses are drawn to light like moths, so the lamp is important when you want to avoid them.

Light play

Despite the new technical achievemens and the fighting system, it won't change the basic direction of the series. If anyone hopes for a cheap "the zombie jump out at me from the closet in a nudie-shock-scene" they will be disappointed. The horror of Silent Hill is not on the screen, but rather mostly takes place in the player's head. True to the motto "the less one recognizes, the the scarier it is" the designers stregthen the shadows, that flit around before you. One of the most effective scare-factors of the series is of course also here, the typical Silent Hill dim lights, the many dark passages, in which one can hardly see more than the circle of light coming from your flashlightg, one worries not only about the uncomfortable feel of the isolation, but also the player worries about their concentration and is subject to shoch scenes.

In SH5 the horror uses not only your fear, but also the player's ears. If you can remember the unholy shambling in the tunnel in SH2 of the goose-skin-causing sirens, that announce the shift to the otherworld. Thank Dolby Digital aned the sick sounds of Akira Yamaoka which allow all kinds of dimensional effects and nerve shattering noises.

Looks the same, only better!

The designers oriented the visual form on the previous games, to stay true to Silennt Hill and also to opticallt transport the washed out colors, which remind one of a grey winter day. In the Otherworld, strong reds dominate and there is rust everytwhere. To have a cinematic flair, important scenes are shown with long camera shots. Through the freely moving camera and the turning on its axis to get the classic Silent Hill look, there is also of course the noise filter. What is new is that different situations use different filters. In this way, the optical elements and colors (such as blood red) are brought out strongly.

captions: Even in the Gully, you can't be sure if it's safe, because the monsters also hide in the water.

some of the doors really take some getting used to.

----
page 2

.. with which one will send the baddies to hell, in not yet known. Wehope for a return to the zombie-steps of the past. If one likes the visually appealing fights, one should be happy about the possibility of grabbing and kicking around the monsters. The new fighting system is important, because the bizarre creatures and mosters in SH5 aren't very cuddly. One meets them in the foggy streets and and there are some familiar monstrosities, like the sick nurses) and numerous other horrors, whose design the word "sick" serves well. Expect creatures with skulls made out of blades, deformed hybrid hermaphrodite entities, which strange combinations of male and female features. Or an almost human creature covered with disgustingly pulsing blisters that spits out gas. These beasts aren't ust ugly, they're also clever, thanks to the new consle systems and the designers who used their artful intelligence. If you expect the monsters to flit by like in the older games, you'd better check your calculations. The creatures follow you mercilessly, through doors and then desist. This way the fighting varies and the designers promise more endings than in any other SH game.

Interactive Nightmare

A further deficiency in the previous games should be corrected in part 5, the interactivity with objects. In the other games, it's not possible to throw around tables and chairs. With the "havoc object physics" are these things now in the past. The chairs, closets and bottles aren't just scenery, they can be used purposefully in the game. Example: you need to go through a large witing room full of monsters. Instead of fighting your way through, you can make a distracting maneuver to get rid of the bizarre brutes and slip away unnoticed on your way. Similar actions can be done with lighs.

captions:
Did the creator want to express his love of bananas with this monster?

Fresh colors bring life to the room. Alex ferrets out the artist.

page 3

When Konami announced that SH5 would be made by the American studio The Collective, William Oertel and his team were faced with worldwide distrust. The fans feared that an American team would stray from the series' feel or that they would bungle it entirely. We feel that these fears are unfounded, and the Oertel and his team will make sure that SH5 will meet the highest expectations.

New hero, new possibilities

The protagonists of the other games were always average, harmless types who were brought into nightmarish Silent Hill not entriely through their own doing. Instead of fighting with large mouthed monsters the players steer the weak and fearful characters through a world that has become insane. The battles go on crazily in the earlier episodes: , awkward, slow fighting with iron bars and bits of wood as well as pistols and shotguns, which is exactly what you ould expect from heroes like James of Harry. Things are a bit different with Alex. As a soldier, he is experienced with weapons and also with hand to hand combat like no SH-hero before. The combat system in this installment will be very different from that of the previous games, which is quite necessary for the series., since it hasn't changed much since the series' debut on the PSOne.

until the soup sprays!

To make the game more dynamic, the designers worked on a combat system that reminds one of a horror title from Sega (which was not released in Germany). Instead of awkwardly running around the area and beating on the monsters, you can grab the enemy or power up your hit power to hit them mightily, depending on your current weapon and the enemy you're homing in on, it also opens up new combo-possibilities.

page 4

The only person who still means anything to him is his younger brother Jacob.

Catch 22

While the 22 year old soldier was taken into a military hospital due to a serious injury, he was tormented more and more by mysterious visions. He realized that his brother maybe in danger and he left the hospital for New England, more specifically, his hometown of Shepard's Glen. When he gets there, he is greeted with a picture of horror: his mother shivers on the floor and stammers, there is no trace of his father or brother. It's as if the fog covering Shephard's Glen has swallowed them whole.

Veterans of the series will notice already that Shepherd's Glen has, the tradition of the toilets and weird malls, is simply the opening point of a journey that leads once again to a "Special place." To a place, where one finds oneself, where our fear and demons claw with sharp claws through the insanity like stringy black oil dropping in our souls.

Be careful what you wish for!

In the 2005 Leipzig Games Convention a somewhat frustrated William Oertel gave an interview about SH Origins (PSP) and said he'd rather work on a Silent Hill for a newer console system, instead of simply a pocket-sized version of the series. Two years later his wish was fulfilled.
Thanks to Nur_ein_tier of the www.silenthill5.net forums
Scarlett. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:34 PM #27
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Old 09-12-2007, 07:16 PM #28
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Quote:
An old saying says, "all paths lead to Rome." For friends of video games,the paths lead elsewhere, namely, to Silent Hill. Here you see scenes from Silent Hill 5 for the Xbox 360 and PS3. This time it's being designed by an American studio called the Collective instead of from Konami. The inspiration for SH5 was mainly the acclaimed second installment of the series. The protagonist is a war veteran named Alex Shepherd who is in a hospital due to a war injury. The traumatised Alex has problems to cope with because of his experiences. He has a dark vision in the hospital that his young brother is in danger. So he goes back to his hometown of Shepherd's Glen to check things out. Unfortunately, he's too late. When he finds his mother, his brother and father has disappeared off the face of the earth. Though this part takes place in Shepherd's Glen, of course most of the game takes place in Silent Hill, where you see many familiar faces and the nurses without faces. To make things more dynamic they have completely reworked things. It's possible to use new combo moves instead of awkwardly beating on things. You can throw enemies out the window. In contrast with the last installment, SH4 The Room, Sh5 will be more like the classic installments of the series. That means you follow a linear storyline and discover the secrets of the town piece by piece. Of course the parellel dimension is again a very important part of the game. The graphic effect where the otherworld changes is taken directly from the film and gives a look at the blood red and rusty world that is underneath the reality. With the Havoc-Physics-Engine, thing get more and more realistic. For example, when you run into a chair, it will fall over. Ha. You can use this in the buildings to distract enemies.Unfortunately our trip to Silent Hill ends here because that's all the footage we have. Until the release in 2009 we'll be reporting about SH5.
Thanks again to nur_ein_tier of the www.silenthill5.net forums
Old 09-12-2007, 10:57 PM #29
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

My my my, what a busy Silent Hill weekend..

Alex strapped to stretcher

Alex and Nurse

Nurses and TV

Alex and the door

Alex and X-Ray board

Alex and incubators?

Joshua?

Blood trail
Old 11-12-2007, 11:03 PM #30
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

I'm so happy, my SHV video is being linked to games websites, going in magazines and everything
Old 07-01-2008, 05:02 PM #31
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

SHV Travis

SH:0 Travis

Is the who caused Silent Hill to go wrong returning?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:11 PM #32
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Old 11-02-2008, 12:42 AM #33
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Whats been your role in 5's creation?
- My writing partner, Chris Valenziano and I were hired as the game's writers. Now, that term "writer" has a different meaning in electronic gaming than it does in television or film. On a game, the entire design team has a large hand in doing much of the writing. Even before we knew that there was a Silent Hill 5 happening, The Collective had broken story and compiled a summary of the game's events - all of which were written by the lead designer, the lead artist and the lead level designer. So, when Chris and I came on to the game, our first task was to look at that summary — which is several pages long and very detailed — and start to poke holes where needed. Now, this process began almost two years ago. Since then, the story has changed in several places, which is due to the collaborative efforts of the whole team. As you start to produce the game, you realize that certain story elements don't really gel with game play or you might discover that we can't really make more than a dozen separate heads for characters, so you start to whittle down the NPCs in the game. It's a very delicate balancing act between your narrative and all of the elements that go into production.
Unlike writing a movie script, a process in which the writers generally work on their own to produce a 100-page screenplay, writing Silent Hill 5 was written over a series of months, working with the whole team to make sure that the house of cards wasn't going to fall down! Now, on top of all that work, we had to be very conscious of the entire Silent Hill mythology, so everything we worked on as a team, would then go to Konami to make sure that any references to previous characters or any rules regarding the Otherworld shifts fit in the overall lore of Silent Hill. And believe me when I tell you that rules do exist and you can't break them.
On top of working on the story, we had to write all the cinematics, environmental signage, hundreds of dialogue slugs, journal entries and the game manual. All in all, it was the most writing we’ve ever done for a project (and we've written a 300-page novel).

Have you played the games and if so whats your favourite?
I think one of the reasons Konami hired us was because I was such a huge fan of the series, was very knowledgeable of the game's lore and wanted the game to have continued success. I played the original Silent Hill the WEEK it came out and it was the scariest game I had ever experienced. When I started playing that game, I knew I was seeing the future of horror gaming and I couldn't get enough. It's actually an amazing experience to now be a part of the series after having been a fan for so long.
Now, regarding my favorite, I know the fans love Silent Hill 2, and Silent Hill 2 certainly elevated the game to the direction that the series has gone. However, I'm a big fan of Silent Hill 3. I love all the characters - Heather, Cartland, Vincent - they are all so colorful and have great motivations. I also like that installment for its expanding history of The Order. Overall, Silent Hill 3 really feels like a complete experience for me - from great game play to fantastic story.

Since its a survival horror game would you say Silent Hill 5 is the scariest narrative in the series so far?
I think when we talk about Silent Hill and a "scary" story we are talking about two different things. Overall, the game's scares will be the biggest we've had, and that's not just jump scares - the eerie feeling of dread will be heightened because the designers can really immerse you emotionally through amazing environments and wild-looking demons. However, story wise, Silent Hill hasn't typically been “scary,” as it's more about the depths of madness and terror it takes the player. Clearly I can't talk about the story of the game, but I can say that we have worked very hard on making it the most disturbing drama of the entire series. My hope is that players will be affected by the game's end.

Without giving away any spoilers will we learn anything more about the history of Silent Hill?
Hmm...tough question because I would love to spill the beans on some of the story, but that would ruin the fun! Here's what I can say about Silent Hill and this installment - you will discover some new secrets about Silent Hill by way of how its history has influenced a much larger society than you may have previously thought. And that's almost saying too much!

How would you describe the protagonist of Silent Hill?
Alex Shepherd feels very new to the series. He's less a victim of circumstance and more a man of action. Now, I know people are worried that having a soldier as the star of the game means he is somehow Rambo, let me assure you that he is not. However, he does take a much more proactive approach to the world around him. We tried to make him more aware of the strange events that unfold in the story, so if you believe in the theory that the player is the character, then I think he's going to feel more relatable to someone who would make rational decisions based on what he sees in front of him.

Thanks for the questions! I'm sure I haven't really explained much more than what is out there, but I was happy to throw in my thoughts. Good luck with your blog! I believe in horror gaming and hope that continued success of games like Silent Hill can keep horror fans entertained and terrorized at the same time.

Patrick J. Doody
Old 11-02-2008, 01:15 AM #34
Banned

Banned

I can't wait for this game, each nugget of info is making this game more appealing.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:18 AM #35
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Aye! Im glad they have been consulting people on the games past
Old 07-03-2008, 02:14 PM #36
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Old 07-03-2008, 04:50 PM #37
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Does anyone know when its coming out?
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:53 PM #38

The graphics look bad. The more recent Silent Hill games aren't that good in my opinion.
Jack is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:59 PM #39
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Apparently late 2008/Early 2009

I think they are working on the graphics at the moment, All the screenshots we have seen have been of the same areas, we havent even seen the town of Silent Hill yet, these are of Shepherds Glen

The room with the paper work and the corridors are the newest areas
Old 23-04-2008, 05:36 PM #40
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

I have been informed that the release date for SHH is September!
Old 23-04-2008, 05:38 PM #41
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

the new Alex

Also its been confirmed that Travis is making a cameo
Old 24-04-2008, 01:09 PM #42
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

I think the whole story will be more about Travis going back to Silent Hill or going "Home"or his homecoming
Old 27-04-2008, 01:56 PM #43
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Old 27-04-2008, 04:08 PM #44

I hate Silent Hill games they drive me crazy. I also find them really depressinf for some reason
Hugo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 04:09 PM #45
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Lol cause they are supposed to be kind of depressing, but they have such good complex stories
Old 14-05-2008, 12:56 PM #46
Banned

Banned

I liked the other Alex better then the new one, The new one looks too much like Harry I think. A bit generic I think.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 03:41 PM #47
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Im not too sure, he looks more interesting this time round
Old 15-05-2008, 07:10 PM #48
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Old 15-05-2008, 07:19 PM #49
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Videos
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34052.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34057.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34050.html
Old 16-05-2008, 02:41 PM #50
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Last night Konami offered a rather large group of gaming journalists the opportunity to finally get some hands-on with Silent Hill: Homecoming. We were second in line and found everything to be in working order; the eerie sounds, intentionally grainy visuals and unsettling environments are coming along nicely and even the new dodgy-slashy combat system works better than we thought. If you were around last month you'll remember our three-day blowout of Homecoming - it looked like this:

Day 1: Updated impressions | Day 2: Exclusive movies | Day 3: Interview with Akira Yamaoka

Check each for all you could possibly want to know about Alex's life-altering search for his missing brother.

More important than that, however, was the trailer Konami aired prior to the hands-on. In it we clearly saw Pyramid Head rounding a corner, trudging along with his massively oversized sword. What could this mean for the story, we wonder? The SH2 antagonist was originally supposed to be some form of punishment for James's repressed emotions and guilt, but why would he appear to Alex as well? Is he now Silent Hill's go-to guy for meat-cleaving shenanigans? In our confusion, we approached lead designer Jason Allen, saying how we swear we just saw Pyramid Head wandering through that trailer. To this he simply smirked and replied "Was it?"

We're going with a yes - or at the very least some other monster that looks a hell of a lot like our flesh-ripping friend. More soon!

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/si...42011563484013

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
boss, exclusive, hill, homecoming, interview, shh, silent