Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 27-10-2007, 02:41 PM #1

Default Desperate Housewives vs Sex and the City

Which is your faviroute?
Hugo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 02:45 PM #2
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Desperate Housewives everytime. Don't get me started on SATC. Oh go on then since you asked.

SATC started off well but by season four it had become too much about the fashions and not enough about the characters. I hear that even some die hard SATC fans used to watch it just to see what the characters were wearing. There was way too much voice over and the Carrie character dominated the show but I thought she was the least interesting of the four main characters.

DH started brilliantly. That first series had a real macabre feel to it. The other series have been much lighter but it is still very watchable.
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 02:47 PM #3

I love them both but Desperate Housewives is too serious.
Old 27-10-2007, 02:51 PM #4
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

DH too serious? Thats what makes the jokes funny, they're put in the most serious circumstances! Comedic value in timing on the part of DH writers - my favourite two quotes from DH were said at a) a funeral, and b) a domestic fight. The format has stayed the same over many years - based around the same people, yet with minor people coming and going and making comebacks - all intertwining into the large storyline thats now spanned over 4 series.

SATC can't get the humour quite right. They appeal to one kind of audience and thats all the humour is based at. I can appreciate the humour, but wit is not involved. The storylines aren't.... storylines. It started well only to be dominated by a largely female fashion-orientated audience whereby the storylines weren't of importance.
Lauren is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 03:31 PM #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Lauren
DH too serious? Thats what makes the jokes funny, they're put in the most serious circumstances! Comedic value in timing on the part of DH writers - my favourite two quotes from DH were said at a) a funeral, and b) a domestic fight. The format has stayed the same over many years - based around the same people, yet with minor people coming and going and making comebacks - all intertwining into the large storyline thats now spanned over 4 series.

SATC can't get the humour quite right. They appeal to one kind of audience and thats all the humour is based at. I can appreciate the humour, but wit is not involved. The storylines aren't.... storylines. It started well only to be dominated by a largely female fashion-orientated audience whereby the storylines weren't of importance.
Don't get me worng I adore Despo Housewives, I perhaps phrased it worng. i mean you have to follow the storyline carefully and if you miss and episode you are kind of wondering what is going on. But with Sex and the City you know the charaters and it's kind of something different every week.
Old 27-10-2007, 03:41 PM #6

Iv never seen SATC and i like DH so guess which one i voted for....
KKBL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 03:46 PM #7

Over its course of six seasons, "Sex and the City" was nominated for over 50 Emmy Awards, winning seven of them. Among the Emmys the show won were two for Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series (Jennifer McNamara), one for its Costumes, a trophy for Outstanding Comedy Series for its third season in 2001, Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series in 2002 for the episode "The Real Me", and for its final season in 2004, Emmys for Sarah Jessica Parker (Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series for the episode "An American Girl in Paris, Part Deux"), and Cynthia Nixon (Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for the episodes "One" and "Ick Factor"). It has also been nominated for 24 Golden Globe Awards, and won 8. Its wins included Best TV Series — Musical or Comedy, and Best Actress in a TV Series — Musical or Comedy, (Sarah Jessica Parker) for three consecutive years from 2000 – 2002, Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Mini-Series, or Movie for Kim Cattrall, and another one for Parker.
Old 27-10-2007, 03:48 PM #8

I can't wait till Desperate Houseives comes back in January!
Old 27-10-2007, 03:53 PM #9
ylvis♥

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: John & Edward

ylvis♥

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: John & Edward

Desperate Housewives, it's brilliant.;]
Sarah. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 04:04 PM #10

Favourites (more):
CBB8: Tara
BB13 USA: Daniele

Favourites (more):
CBB8: Tara
BB13 USA: Daniele

voted DH it funny and gripping
001steven is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 06:05 PM #11
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by .tooperfect.
Over its course of six seasons, "Sex and the City" was nominated for over 50 Emmy Awards, winning seven of them. Among the Emmys the show won were two for Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series (Jennifer McNamara), one for its Costumes, a trophy for Outstanding Comedy Series for its third season in 2001, Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series in 2002 for the episode "The Real Me", and for its final season in 2004, Emmys for Sarah Jessica Parker (Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series for the episode "An American Girl in Paris, Part Deux"), and Cynthia Nixon (Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for the episodes "One" and "Ick Factor"). It has also been nominated for 24 Golden Globe Awards, and won 8. Its wins included Best TV Series — Musical or Comedy, and Best Actress in a TV Series — Musical or Comedy, (Sarah Jessica Parker) for three consecutive years from 2000 – 2002, Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Mini-Series, or Movie for Kim Cattrall, and another one for Parker.
The acting was always outstanding and, I think, it won most of its awards due to it's edgyness. it was a good show - don't get me wrong - I just think it could have been much better. They should have allowed the other three main characters to develop and not base every single episode around Carrie. They should have stuck to the crude and coarse humour of the first two seasobns and not try to turn it into a comedy darama. And, they should have totally cut down on the voiceover. I personally found it very intrusive.
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 01:15 AM #12

Desperate Housewives by far, especially series one.
geoking66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
city, desperate, housewives, sex