Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:38 PM #51
Banned

Banned

and by the look in your face i think my assumption of "people have more fun in london (more foriengers) than in sheffield" seems to be more truer

etc. USA > UK > HOLLAND > LITHUINIA
usa4eva is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:41 PM #52

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Quote:
Originally posted by usa4eva
and by the look in your face i think my assumption of "people have more fun in london (more foriengers) than in sheffield" seems to be more truer
Thats out of order and uncalled for. This forum is serious debates, not 'lets win an argument through making personal digs'.
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:44 PM #53

Thanks Tom

This member is just getting petty now *ignores*
Matt10k is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:50 PM #54
Banned

Banned

awww how cute "Thanks Tom", I need some one to back me up now

you havent provided nothing but speculation and opinions, with false facts.

calling me petty with speculative facts i just low
Old 06-02-2008, 09:51 PM #55
Banned

Banned

and i only said that comment below is becuase thats what I believed to be your intention of your opinion, becuase its so transparent, mainly becuase you havent SAID WHAT ALL THE COUNTRIES LIKE THE NETHERLANDS, AND BELGIUM AND ETC, ARE WHAT YOU WANT FROM THEM

soo.. i think i was right
Old 06-02-2008, 09:54 PM #56
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):

I think the USA is our closest ally for a number of obvious reasons, and to be honest, without that strong relationship we'd be in a much less politically stable environment. I don't think, however, that we're played like pawns by the US, and it's just a symbol of our political strengths that we agree on almost everything
Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:50 AM #57

Quote:
awww how cute "Thanks Tom", I need some one to back me up now
Obnoxious much? You had just tried insulting him admitted it was incredibly lame on your part. . I always say the one who resorts to petty insults first must have lost the argument. Sorry

Quote:
Its even obsurd to think that the Netherlands have higher technology than in the USA, ...
OMG how absurd! America is No1 at everything right?

Quote:
and i only said that comment below is becuase thats what I believed to be your intention of your opinion, becuase its so transparent, mainly becuase you havent SAID WHAT ALL THE COUNTRIES LIKE THE NETHERLANDS, AND BELGIUM AND ETC, ARE WHAT YOU WANT FROM THEM

soo.. i think i was right
Do you actually have any idea what you mean half the time because I have no clue! Yeah your spelling grammar and general literacy really is THAT bad! And for the record you were wrong. US DOES have higher rates of drug abuse on nearly everything and a slightly higher suicide rate and the fact the population is higher isnt important as the stats are per 100,000 people but you seem to have difficulty understanding this

Quote:
you havent provided nothing but speculation and opinions, with false facts.

calling me petty with speculative facts i just low
No you are petty for far more reasons than that and whos speculating again? Just because matt accused you of speculating. I noticed you refused to accept all evidence given to you. Tell me are you just arguing for the sake of it? You seem like one of those Americans that just want to think america is the best no matter what and will attack anyone that has another opinion. Sort of the problem with the US in general isnt it?

Quote:

etc. USA > UK > HOLLAND > LITHUINIA
Yeah you don’t speculate and arent petty at all right? lol

Anyways back on to the topic this idiot ruined Id say the UK is not the 51st state. As a person thats lived in both Id say they are to different to compare
Abraxas is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:55 PM #58
Banned

Banned

I genuinly cannot believe you followed 3 pages to make a remark, geeez you must hate the fact Cannabis is illegal

Bottom line of my argument (which he seems to be against)

he wants policies that holland, belgium and etc have?

he NEVER stated what those policies THOSE countries have that he wants.

after that he speculated that the UK would be a better place if Cannabis & Prostitution was legalised in the UK... i was getting at the fact that our economies would fall as low as THE NETHERLANDS

... or are you now gonna critisize the social atmosphere on this debate, or maybe grammer, or maybe something , oooo knows..
Old 07-02-2008, 01:20 PM #59

Quote:
I genuinly cannot believe you followed 3 pages to make a remark, geeez you must hate the fact Cannabis is illegal

after that he speculated that the UK would be a better place if Cannabis & Prostitution was legalised in the UK... i was getting at the fact that our economies would fall as low as THE NETHERLANDS

... or are you now going to critisize the social atmosphere on this debate, or maybe grammer, or maybe something , oooo knows..

what has following this discussion got to do with hating cannabis being illegal or otherwise? You jump to a lot of stupid conclusions. And I think you really need to work on your communication skills because theres a way of saying things and you just came off looking silly trying to insult people. Oh and your grammar is pretty awful sometimes since you mentioned it. It can be pretty difficult to understand you at times. On topic Id say im not surprised he or anyone in the UK would rather be like Holland than the US; who wants to be like the US these days seriously? Also how did you come to the conclusion that legalising cannabis and prostitution was the reason behind hollands lower economy? If you look up there GDP per capita its actually level with the US and UK and I find this more accurate prediction of standard of life there than economy
Old 07-02-2008, 01:49 PM #60
Banned

Banned

Old 07-02-2008, 02:11 PM #61

Quote:

I dont just judge whether a country is worth living in or not based on its economy. Did you know Ireland consistently tops life satisfaction surveys and that is a far smaller economy than the US? Also Netherlands economy might be lower but its GDP per capita is the same and this is more important. And you are kinda just repeating yourself over and over and not really listening. Im starting to think you arent worth bothering with
Old 07-02-2008, 02:52 PM #62
Banned

Banned

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HASSSSSSSNNT

STTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAATTTEEEEDD

WHAT

HE

ABOUT THOSE COUNTRIES

POLICIES

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FFSS!! GOD THE BRITISH ARE THE MOST SADDEST DEPRESSED PEOPLE IN THE WORLD

IS THERE ANY WONDER WHY SO MUCH PEOPLE IMMIGRATED TO AMERICA

GOD END OF, I HAVE NO MORE TIME FOR THIS ITS SOO BORING

I JUST KEEP REPEATING MY SELF

HAVE A GOOD TIME LIVING IN SUCH A DEPRESSED AREA OF THE WORLD

WERE THE SUICIDE RATE IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HIGH!

END OF YOUR , YOUR BORING AS HELL
Old 07-02-2008, 02:55 PM #63
Banned

Banned

this is all stemmed from the utter BULLSHIT, that you would want to live in the most boringest place in the WORLD, BELGIUM & HOLLAND

SO YOU WOULD HAVE MORE FUN IN BELGIUM, HOLLAND OR LITHUANA THAN YOU WOULD IN...

IN LA, NEW YORK, CALIFORNIA???????????????????????

THE TRUE ANSWER IS YES, BUT THE REASON YOU BAD MOUTH AMERICA IS BECUASE YOU DONT LIKE THAT BLACK PEOPLE ARE MORE EQUAL THERE
Old 07-02-2008, 03:01 PM #64

I think Im just going to laugh;
Old 07-02-2008, 03:40 PM #65
Banned

Banned

yeahs and id rather live in rotterdahm and lithuania, maybe belgium instead of LA, New York, Texas, California, Miami

oh, the fun im missing out on living here in the USA
Old 07-02-2008, 04:00 PM #66
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):

I don't see anything wrong with Belgium and Holland, apart from the former's politics [with the EU].
Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:35 PM #67

I’d like to pick you up on a couple of points usa4eva:

Suicide rates are actually higher in the US than here in the UK. People think the reason for this is the availability of guns and that shooting is a common method of suicide in the States because it is “easy“.

Another thing: China is set to become the worlds largest economy, will this mean it will suddenly become the best place to live? I think judging countries purely on statistical information to come up with which is “best” is very one dimensional. One size certainly does not fit all.

Overall it’s probably best not to judge a country too much until you have actually lived there for a significant amount of time and that even still this only reflects your own personal tastes and may not apply to everyone. What is boring and what is not is subjective.

I’d also disagree that the US is any more accepting of black people. Racism against blacks in the UK is low, however it is higher towards muslims and immigrants (I believe) but I also think it is the same in the US between Mexicans and other immigrants and these suffer racism in a similar way.

Now to answer the original question, do I think the UK is the 51st state? I’d say we share one or two similarities, we both had a similar view towards Iraq and are often allies during conflicts and of course, we have the same language. Other than that, I don’t think we have much else in common so I don’t think the UK is the 51st state.
Verloren is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:41 PM #68

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Speidi
CBB18: Stephen Bear

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Speidi
CBB18: Stephen Bear

I love the U.S

I've been to Florida, NY, LA and Houston
JeanP! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 07:43 PM #69

Default to summarize ...

America is beautiful, too bad Americans (USA) suck!
nicanadian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 07:54 PM #70
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

This poster is hilarious.

If I remember correctly, Holland and Belgium have a higher GDP per capita than the UK. More wealth per head = better quality of life.

And just lol @ the idea of an American calling the Brits depressed. The States is the birthplace of self-help groups and antidepressants. Hardly a nation of happy bunnies.
No matter that they act like senile 12-year-olds on the Today programme website - smoking illegal fags to look tough and cool. No matter that Amis coins truly abominable terms like 'the age of horrorism' and when criticised tells people to 'fuck off'. Surely we all chuckle at the strenuous ennui of his salon drawl. Didn't he once accidentally sneer his face off?
- Chris Morris - The Absurd World of Martin Amis

BB_Eye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 08:00 PM #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10k View Post
Nah. I think america is quite a lot different to the uk. People like to call us americas lapdog because blair was in bed with bush for a while.

I'd like us to move away from that whole thing now.
I don't think it was just Blair... i think it started long before that.

Churchill coming to the US on his knees begging the US to save Britain from the Nazi's is a more likely beginning to this story...

Then after the war, once again, Britain, crawling to the US begging for money for reconstruction cash after war...

Then, the Soviets taking over half of Europe, once again Britain came calling for America to have a stronger presence in europe, to keep the Soviets at bay...

i think this kind of subservient, begging relationship was formed over many decades...

We love our humble Brit cousins, so we happily obliged.

Last edited by lostalex; 30-12-2010 at 08:08 PM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 08:23 PM #72

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Martin Kemp
BB13: Adam

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
I don't think it was just Blair... i think it started long before that.

Churchill coming to the US on his knees begging the US to save Britain from the Nazi's is a more likely beginning to this story...

Then after the war, once again, Britain, crawling to the US begging for money for reconstruction cash after war...

Then, the Soviets taking over half of Europe, once again Britain came calling for America to have a stronger presence in europe, to keep the Soviets at bay...

i think this kind of subservient, begging relationship was formed over many decades...

We love our humble Brit cousins, so we happily obliged.
Just goes to show how much the yanks drag their feet in doing anything constructive or helpful unless there's something in it for them - altruism is not in their vocabulary as evidenced by the fact that they have to be "BEGGED" to do the decent thing rather than stepping in of their own accord. No such reticence when there's oil or other valuable resources to plunder though, eh?
Angus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 08:28 PM #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus58 View Post
Just goes to show how much the yanks drag their feet in doing anything constructive or helpful unless there's something in it for them - altruism is not in their vocabulary as evidenced by the fact that they have to be "BEGGED" to do the decent thing rather than stepping in of their own accord. No such reticence when there's oil or other valuable resources to plunder though, eh?
Oh what a horrible thing, the American government doing what's best for Americans. How DARE they! You'd think they were elected to look out for their own people or something!

How DARE the Americans do what's best for Americans. What horrible people!
Old 30-12-2010, 08:43 PM #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus58 View Post
Yeah, enter wars late, refuse to take advice from the more experienced, spend massively, lose troops and material needlessly, make enormous profits on replacement weaponry, bring the glory (and the plunder) home - 20th century USA .....
Omah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 08:50 PM #75

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
Oh what a horrible thing, the American government doing what's best for Americans. How DARE they! You'd think they were elected to look out for their own people or something!

How DARE the Americans do what's best for Americans. What horrible people!

You said it!
Angus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
51st, britain, state