Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB5 Nadia, Michelle, Stuart, Jason and the rest of the Big Brother 5 housemates.

Old 20-06-2004, 08:21 AM #1

Default Why we love the house of ill-repute - Melanie Hill

You can't top this year's Big Brother, so get ready for more of the same

Melanie Hill
The Observer

Last night I was at a trendy east London art exhibition. But the buzz was not about the pictures. It was about Big Brother, with the art crowd whispering confessions to each other that they found this highly manipulative television programme utterly addictive.
After last year's bland Big Brother, the production team this year has surpassed itself. The almost subliminal flashes of the 'evil eye' during the ad breaks had me transfixed from the start.

Now, after just a few episodes, 'Evil BB' may have delivered more than Channel 4 bargained for: the anarchist has been evicted for rule breaking; a psychologist quit, not wanting to be associated with the programme; an eruption of violence required security intervention and a police inquiry is underway.

The house, a third smaller than before, with lower ceilings and raised floors, both adding to the claustrophobia, was designed to create conflict, though C4 might have preferred not to have a police investigation. Maybe it regrets having created this emotionally charged arena, which reminds me of a herd of cattle being kept in bad conditions with the occasional poke from a cattle prod to keep up the aggression levels.

This year's herd includes the most extreme and controversial housemates yet: Kitten the lesbian anarchist; Ahmed the homophobic asylum seeker; Marco the camp, asylum-seeker hater; Victor with his embarrassing bravado and eye-candy for everyone. This is also the most handsome herd so far. Michelle's boobs and Emma's lesbian tendencies for the lads; Stuart's intellect and good looks for the girls; Jason's bisexuality and bulging biceps for everyone; Dan's preoccupation with bedding straight men for gay and straight fantasy alike; Vanessa the traditional bit of totty.

With all these beautiful bodies seemingly 'up for it', the sexual tension is phenomenal. Nadia the virgin transsexual is desperate for love, while a bizarre love match between Jason, Daniel and Vanessa and Stuart contends with the bunny-boiler antics of Michelle. No matter how much Davina protests that she is not interested in seeing sex, there seems no denying that the production team has planned for it.

It was the return to the BB house of two gobby brunettes, Michelle and Emma, which actually almost brought the house down. After leaving the house, they had been watching the live feed from a neighbouring bedsit and heard what the others thought of them. Within a few hours of their return, Emma and Victor had had a stand-up row; Jason turned over tables and threatened to 'rip Marco's head off', while Vanessa and Nadia grappled each other. All fuelled by alcohol. Security men were called in to keep the peace and separate the group and Emma was put in isolation to 'cool down'. And, disaster of disasters, the live feed was cut. How could they? Don't they realise that this is what the viewing public wants? The footage for the DVD is already being lined up for another Channel 4 money spinner.

When I was in the Big Brother house in 2000, it was unlike anything we had seen before. Because of this, the fellow housemates were treated with kid gloves and the production team was genuinely concerned for our well-being. The executive producer called me afterwards to check I was OK. This year's contestants are lambs to the slaughter in comparison. They have been plied with alcohol, a rare treat that we had to earn, and manipulated into humiliating themselves. For our mistakes, we only had ourselves (and some clever editing) to blame. Now, the contestants are seen less as people and more as pawns in a game. The once innocent concept allowed to run its own course has become a circus with Big Brother as the ring leader.

What does the future hold for this latest bunch of wannabes? Like past housemates, most will disappear. Fat egos, jealousy and bitchiness will follow for a while, particularly since the series has provided such a spectacle. No doubt, there will be the usual TV appearances, magazine shoots and ligging we now expect from the released housemates.

But generally, past contestants have filtered back to real life, with a few exceptions. Craig is still doing his DIY; Kate and Brian have vanished after successful media stints; Jade will seemingly never go away and Anna is reporting in Ireland. But the rest are the 'road kill' of car-crash TV. There are reports of depression, broken relationships and few options for any future careers.

And what of the audience? This year's extreme characters have attracted not only more viewers but a different type. The real worry is for future series. What more can they possibly deliver after this year's freak show? Do we want more sex and violence? The answer is irrelevant. This year's winning formula will be repeated. Even as we cringe, we have become addicted.

· Melanie Hill was a contestant in the first Big Brother. She is now studying to be a barrister
Amy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-06-2004, 11:27 AM #2

I always liked Mel and I think this is a very well written and thoughtful article.
LEE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-06-2004, 12:45 PM #3

Quote:
She is now studying to be a barrister
Wow!!
Di2001 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-06-2004, 06:24 PM #4
Wacko

Favourites (more):
I'm a Celeb 2012: Ashley Roberts
BB14 USA: Boogie

Wacko

Favourites (more):
I'm a Celeb 2012: Ashley Roberts
BB14 USA: Boogie

I think her calling BB5 a freak show is like the pot calling the kettle black.
DOG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
hill, house, illrepute, love, melanie