Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB 1 - 5 Celebrity Big Brother series 1 to 5 from 2001-2008.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:37 PM #1

Default CBB5 race row a farce?

Last edited by Axiom; 01-04-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Axiom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:38 PM #2

j**e called shilpa a poppadom thats rascist in my eyes
jonsep is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:42 PM #3

Quote:
Originally posted by jonsep
j**e called shilpa a poppadom thats rascist in my eyes
In all honesty, I think Jade is too thick to notice how that comment may have been perceived as racist. And in my eyes, it isn't. If an Indian person called someone from the UK, for example "Dave Fish & Chips" it isn't perceived as being racist, is it? It refers to the country's national cuisine. The same with "Shilpa Poppadom", or if you were French, "Jaques Baguette", because a baguette is a French food. D'you know what I mean?
Old 09-07-2008, 03:49 PM #4

And Jack called her a "tacky" -T +P
officialleafan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:51 PM #5

Quote:
Originally posted by officialleafan
And Jack called her a "tacky" -T +P
Yep, he did.
Except this thread is about how the argument between Shilpa and Jade about stock cubes was perceived as racist, not the comments by Jack, Jo or Danielle.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:53 PM #6

jade had the opotunity to ask shylpa what her name was but she didnt so she thought i no she indian ill call her popodan now thats not right
jonsep is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:54 PM #7

My personal opinion is that, although the girls were not racist, they definitely bullied Shilpa. I'm disgusted at how mean they were to her, but I don't think it had anything to do with race. It's a horrible way to act and I'm not condoning anything they did. I just think that race was not really a factor in any of it.
bigbr0ther is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:57 PM #8

Quote:
Originally posted by jonsep
jade had the opotunity to ask shylpa what her name was but she didnt so she thought i no she indian ill call her popodan now thats not right
Yes, but how can calling somebody a national cuisine be racist?
Old 09-07-2008, 03:57 PM #9

Glynn of BB7 said he loved taking the piss out of the ENGLISH and found it funny when he misdirected the ENGLISH tourists when he saw them.

If Jades comments were deemed racist, why was Glynn allowed to finish 3rd in the final of BB and not ejected as a racist?.
Why was Dale and Stuart not warned for mimicking belinda's singing?

I think the media plays a big part in this, people mimmick my accent I dont find it racist its either done a joke as I would to a brummy or a geordie, or in derogatory means as a mocking of what your saying rather than where you come from, and even if that was the premise for BB ejection why has'nt there been more similar instances as suggested by the thread.
Already Dale, Stuart, Rebecca, Mario in this series have also gone over the line of same abuse yet still remain in the house.
AngRemembered is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:58 PM #10

Quote:
Originally posted by bigbr0ther
My personal opinion is that, although the girls were not racist, they definitely bullied Shilpa. I'm disgusted at how mean they were to her, but I don't think it had anything to do with race. It's a horrible way to act and I'm not condoning anything they did. I just think that race was not really a factor in any of it.
Exactly.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:01 PM #11

Quote:
Originally posted by Angiebabe
Glynn of BB7 said he loved taking the p**s out of the ENGLISH and found it funny when he misdirected the ENGLISH tourists when he saw them.

If Jades comments were deemed racist, why was Glynn allowed to finish 3rd in the final of BB and not ejected as a racist.
I think the media plays a big part in this, people mimmick my accent I dont find it racist its either done a joke as I would to a brummy or a geordie, or in derogatory means as a mocking of what your saying rather than where you come from, and even if that was the premise for BB ejection why has'nt there been more similar instances as suggested by the thread.
Already Dale, Stuart, Rebecca, Mario in this series have also gone over the line of same abuse yet still remain in the house.
I agree with you, but Glyn was a bit of a simpleton, and misdirecting English tourists is not malicious in any way, and he did not directly make fun of or mock the English. English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish, whatever, the UK is one, and we all have the same culture therefore racism between people of the provinces of the UK is quite impossible.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:03 PM #12

Quote:
Spot on, and the whole issue has only made real racism by real racists trivualised to the point everyone screams racist even when Darnell refers to white people as coloured, completely ridiculous.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:06 PM #13

Quote:
Quote:
Spot on, and the whole issue has only made real racism by real racists trivualised to the point everyone screams racist even when Darnell refers to white people as coloured, completely ridiculous.
Exactly. It has to be racists (i.e. the media and press) that refered to this whole incident as race hate because it was them that said it was racist in the first place, and so caused everyone else in the UK to think it was too.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:10 PM #14

Quote:
Originally posted by horcrux92

I agree with you, but Glyn was a bit of a simpleton, and misdirecting English tourists is not malicious in any way, and he did not directly make fun of or mock the English. English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish, whatever, the UK is one, and we all have the same culture therefore racism between people of the provinces of the UK is quite impossible.
As opposed to Jade who was a reincarnation of Einstein, No, Jade too was someone you could be forgiven calling a simpleton.
I suppose in a nutshell there is the hypocrisy, if Jade(who I dont like btw) had called Shilpa a simpleton would she have fared any better? yet in the press names worse than these are used to describe Jade Goody.

And English is a formal ethnicity where ridicule on that basis alone(as Glynn did without mentioning other nationals of the UK or world for that matter) does fit the desription of racial abuse, more so than that applied to Shilpa as it was her 'snobbery' rather than her ethnic background which was being ridiculed.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:12 PM #15

Quote:
as it was her 'snobbery' rather than her ethnic background which was being ridiculed.
I totally agree.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:25 PM #16

Imo there was NO racism. Just bullying.

Jade, Jo and Danielle didnt deserve the treatment they recieved- especially Jade and Jo (Danielle did quite well, but still gets the odd comment)

If Shilpa was Enlgish, Jade etc would have been called bullies, but because shes Indian they were racist. Its pathetic- but it happens in everyday life. I cant count the amount of times Ive been called racist for arguing with a black person.
Chrizzle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:48 PM #17

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrizzle
Imo there was NO racism. Just bullying.

Jade, Jo and Danielle didnt deserve the treatment they recieved- especially Jade and Jo (Danielle did quite well, but still gets the odd comment)

If Shilpa was Enlgish, Jade etc would have been called bullies, but because shes Indian they were racist. Its pathetic- but it happens in everyday life. I cant count the amount of times Ive been called racist for arguing with a black person.
Your right, however I didnt notice untill this thread, so I checked again and Jade did call Shilpa Poppadom, this is near the knuckle but nowhere near what should be deemed racist abuse (to have her ejected) its playground insults.
They were bullying her as you rightly say but no worse than what Mohamed has had to endure, or Rex for that matter yet only one has been ejected.
You should never be called racist for arguing with a black person thats BS, and I'm sure you know that too, dont let PC go mad and dont let it stop you making your point known as dismissing people in that matter is like naomi Campell in her air rage assault, its an excuse to use to race card, and she was an idiot to think we'd fall for it.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:54 PM #18
I'm back! :-)

I'm back! :-)

I think I agree with most things said in this topic. It wasn't racism in my eyes but it is definatelty OTT what Jade and co done. I find it incredibly frustrating that the press would rather ruin Jade's life than step aside and let the public form their own opinion of the incidents. It was like the press were puting words into the publics mouths.
GhettoSuperstar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:41 PM #19

i recall shilpa and jermaine talking about jade and her family and he called them "white trailer trash" yet he was not berrated for this or labelled racist. What is so different from this and jade calling shilpa a 'poppadom' ???
RexorDarnell2win is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:43 PM #20
retro physical

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Lloyd Daniels

retro physical

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Lloyd Daniels

I absolutely agree with you on this.

I never liked Shilpa, and I think it's the only reason she won was for the race row.
but I do think that row itself was not racist.
xDramatick is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:45 PM #21

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Mike ‘The Situation’
BB13: Deana

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Mike ‘The Situation’
BB13: Deana

they only did it to break jade i think!
rayheartbliss is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:12 PM #22

Quote:
Originally posted by RexorDarnell2win
i recall shilpa and jermaine talking about jade and her family and he called them "white trailer trash" yet he was not berrated for this or labelled racist. What is so different from this and jade calling shilpa a 'poppadom' ???
There is no difference, however two wrongs should never make a right, they both have racist connotations and should have warrented a warning.
Indeed IMO the latter is more offensive just for the inclusion of the word "trash" the former is so childish a name call it hardly warrented severe action.
This is the problem with the PC climate we have now, it has exclude the use of common sense and everyone quickly screaming racist like a modern day with hunt.
Nobody benefits at all and it makes life easy for the people who play on the 'race card' when it suits them, which in turn creates a resentment for protecting the minority ethnic groups we have in a very tolerant Britain today.
I would have also liked someone to investigate Naomi Campbell's late accusation that she was abused because "i was black"
Again IMO this was a blatent mis use of the system and one which she was allowed to get away with..why? Campbell's abuse and her comments I quoted were more racist than that of all the examples in this thread, yet a bit of common sense would have either prevented her stupid reasoning, or better still had her punished for it.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:04 PM #23

Quote:
Originally posted by RexorDarnell2win
Jermaine didn't call them "white trailer trash". He was simply quoting someone else.
Wonderwall is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:35 PM #24

Quote:

Your right, however I didnt notice untill this thread, so I checked again and Jade did call Shilpa Poppadom, this is near the knuckle but nowhere near what should be deemed racist abuse (to have her ejected) its playground insults.
They were bullying her as you rightly say but no worse than what Mohamed has had to endure, or Rex for that matter yet only one has been ejected.
You should never be called racist for arguing with a black person thats BS, and I'm sure you know that too, dont let PC go mad and dont let it stop you making your point known as dismissing people in that matter is like naomi Campell in her air rage assault, its an excuse to use to race card, and she was an idiot to think we'd fall for it.
A lot of the things Goody said were absolutely disgusting. Calling Shilpa, "Shilpa F##kawallah" and "Shilpa poppadom" were merely the tip of the iceberg.
Wonderwall is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:39 PM #25

Quote:
Originally posted by Wonderwall

A lot of the things Goody said were absolutely disgusting. Calling Shilpa, "Shilpa F##kawallah" and "Shilpa poppadom" were merely the tip of the iceberg.
True, I'm not excusing her behaviour it was asful, nobody here has done, I'm just putting what she actually done in context with the reason to evict her.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
cbb5, farce, race, row