Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 14-11-2008, 11:49 AM #1

Default The final Countdown for Carol Vorderman as she films emotional last show after 26 years

Quote:
The final Countdown for Carol Vorderman as she films emotional last show after 26 years
Carol Vorderman today ended 26 years with TV quiz show Countdown by recording an emotional farewell.

The co-host is leaving the Channel 4 programme following a bitter dispute with show producers who had wanted her to take a 90 per cent pay cut earlier this year.

But Carol, 47, was all smiles as she took a break from morning filming.

Wearing a figure hugging red cocktail dress as she left the Yorkshire Television studios in Leeds, Miss Vorderman said: 'It is more like a party atmosphere in there.'

She had been sent bouquets of flowers from friends and well-wishers.

Her daughter Katie, 16, and her son Cameron, 11, were in the audience, along with her mother and celebrity friends.

They included former film critic Barry Norman, actor Keith Barron and Gyles Brandreth, who have all appeared in the show's Dictionary Corner.

But she admitted there would be tears later on as she recorded a special 'goodbye Carol' show, in which her past highs and lows would be shown, along with clips of her beloved Richard Whiteley, who died three years ago.

Vorderman, who was the first woman to appear on Channel 4 when the show began in 1982, said: 'I am honestly having a great time, but I will be in tears later when I see Richard on the screen.

'They are going to be showing all his cock-ups and that will be very emotional and the tears will flow.

'It is a very special send-off, but I can't believe it has come to an end.

'I can't believe how kind everyone has been and how many people have been in touch.'

Carol, who earned £1.2 million a year for 40 days' work with Countdown, posed for photographs with her daughter Katie, who also held a bouquet, like her mum.

Katie, who is studying double-maths, physics and chemistry, admitted that she seems to have inherited her mum's famous brain-power.

'I hope I am a chip off the old block,' said Katie.

'I was here as a baby and I have a photo of me here, and now I'm here for the last show. Mum has no real plans for the future.'

Countdown fans Stewart Milnes, 64, and Kirsty Allen, 19, braved the rain to stand outside the studios to say their farewells.

Stewart, who has met Carol on several occasions, said: 'She has always had time to talk to me and I will miss her from the screens.'

Student Kirsty, who got Carol to sign a photograph she had taken with the co-host and comedienne Jo Brand, added: 'She is a truly nice person and always had a smile for her fans.'
Source: Daily Mail
Red Moon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
26, carol, countdown, emotional, films, final, show, vorderman, years