Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 20-11-2008, 06:32 AM #1

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB22: Nick Leeson

Favourites (more):

Default Teenagers being sterotyped

Discuss. We are talking about this in school.

Imo, it quite frankly annoys me, I somethimes wonder that about 80% of people believe that all teenagers are either chavs, thiefs and rude people. Okay, sure the things that are on the newspapers make us look bad, but were not all like that. You come across some elderly people who are nice and friendly to you, but ones I held a door open for them, and they just gave me such an evil look. Its the same when I walk into shops, they look at me expecting to do something.

Has there been any situations when you feel like youa s a teenager is being treated in that way?I want to here some of you stories Im sure its not only me.
*mazedsalv** is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 06:47 AM #2
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Can some of us oldies have a say?

Sometimes when you see a group of teenagers with their hoods up in the middle of the street, it is easy to see why they could be seen as intimidating.
Sticks is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 06:50 AM #3

Quote:
Originally posted by Sticks

Sometimes when you see a group of teenagers with their hoods up in the middle of the street, it is easy to see why they could be seen as intimidating.
But not ALL teenagers wear hoodies and act intimidating.
Axiom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 06:53 AM #4
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

But enough do to give that perception, hence we get that film they put out recently of men hunting teenagers down with shotguns
Old 20-11-2008, 06:58 AM #5

Once, when I and a couple of my mates were going round town, two cops stopped us and said "We've had enough of your ****ing crap. Stop ******** around." We were just totally shocked. I went "Us?" And he was like "Yeah you. Stop ****ing around."
We just gave them evils and continued walking. This was like last year, and I still don't know what made him say that, as we were in a quiet part of the village, not dressed as chavs, and were not doing anything antisocial, just having a laugh. The other policeman who was with him looked sympathetic, though, like he was disagreeing with the one that swore at us.
Old 20-11-2008, 06:58 AM #6
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

This is that film

Produced by Barnardos

Quote:
NOTE: We recommend that children under 13 years old should not view this film without parental consent.

The shocking but real dialogue that features in this film gives a clear indication of how the UK today is demonising children.

A concerning issue present in todays society is the increasingly negative way in which young people are viewed by the general public. A growth in anxiety over the presence of youths in our communities has led to a significant level of social exclusion towards them.

While there are serious offences committed that do require appropriate action, the positive contributions that young people make in their communities is going largely unnoticed.

At Barnardo's, we want people to recognise that children who are troublesome and engage in antisocial behaviour are often those most in need of support. Our work demonstrates that the majority of children who start down the wrong path can be helped to change direction.

Barnardos
YouTube Home page
Old 20-11-2008, 06:59 AM #7

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Some people that wear hoodies and look like chavs are realy the complete opposite. We get judged on what we wear. 90% of the time I wear nice clothes but 10% of teh time when I cant be bothered getting properly dressed, I put on a Nike tracksuit and a hoody, and the way people look at me is really horrible.

And most people dont give off that impression, I know a large number of people that are teenagers, really intelligent and wouldnt hurt a fly, I just hope more people noticed that there are most teenagers that are polite people.
*mazedsalv** is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 06:59 AM #8

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Lauren Simon
BB2023: Chanelle

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Lauren Simon
BB2023: Chanelle

Quote:

Why? Just because you put your hood up doesn't mean your gonna turn around and stab someone
Billy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 07:05 AM #9

Quote:
This is that film

Produced by Barnardos

Quote:
NOTE: We recommend that children under 13 years old should not view this film without parental consent.

The shocking but real dialogue that features in this film gives a clear indication of how the UK today is demonising children.

A concerning issue present in todays society is the increasingly negative way in which young people are viewed by the general public. A growth in anxiety over the presence of youths in our communities has led to a significant level of social exclusion towards them.

While there are serious offences committed that do require appropriate action, the positive contributions that young people make in their communities is going largely unnoticed.

At Barnardo's, we want people to recognise that children who are troublesome and engage in antisocial behaviour are often those most in need of support. Our work demonstrates that the majority of children who start down the wrong path can be helped to change direction.

Barnardos
YouTube Home page
That is sick. People will be destroying the future if they do that.
Old 20-11-2008, 08:37 AM #10
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
UBB: Brian
BB11: Josie
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

Cmon now we all know teenagers are lazy sullen and rude and think the world revolves around them! Remember we were all one once
NettoSuperstar! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 08:40 AM #11

Quote:
Originally posted by horcrux92
Quote:

But not ALL teenagers wear hoodies and act intimidating.
Even if they wear hoods they might be cold. I wear my hood up when im cold. It's understandable if it's in the summer because it's pointless, but Hoodies have hoods for a reason, to keep you head walm. And Sticks your not an oldie mate lol.
Loukas is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 09:07 AM #12

Favourites:
BB11: John James

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally posted by horcrux92
Once, when I and a couple of my mates were going round town, two cops stopped us and said "We've had enough of your ****ing c**p. Stop sh****** around." We were just totally shocked. I went "Us?" And he was like "Yeah you. Stop ****ing around."
We just gave them evils and continued walking. This was like last year, and I still don't know what made him say that, as we were in a quiet part of the village, not dressed as chavs, and were not doing anything antisocial, just having a laugh. The other policeman who was with him looked sympathetic, though, like he was disagreeing with the one that swore at us.
Make a formal complaint.... if they get away with it they'll keep doing it.
ange7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 09:17 AM #13

old people are the most rudest when teens who are sunsible, mature and actually care for there elders,

like when stopping to let them go first and opening the door

they never say thankyou

20% of oldies do
LargeAndInCharge is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 09:27 AM #14

its not just teenagers who get stereotyped i get it myself cos i am a single mum people are very quick to judge on the idea of what is the 'norm' weather that be teenagers single mums gay people etc before knowing all the facts and knowing more about that person cos not every hoodie wearer is a thug not every single mum got pregnant purely for a house and benefits not every gay is camp
pinkmichk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 09:27 AM #15
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

Ohhh there must be more to life than stereotypes!
Old 20-11-2008, 09:29 AM #16

yer, single mum are easy to sterotype
LargeAndInCharge is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 09:32 AM #17

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally posted by LargeAndInCharge
yer, single mum are easy to sterotype
hehe really why is that?... how would you sum up single mums LargeAndInCharge ... we're all ears.
ange7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 11:13 AM #18

Favourites:
BB11: Corin

Favourites:

I do understand why we are Stereotyped. People who live on a Council Estate ware Hoodies and Tracksuit and they are Rough so if you see someone young especially a Male you would get Intimidated.

And a few weeks ago I went to Dominions Pizza shop and I saw a Group of 7-9 Teenagers (Some went to my school) and they went in to the Spar and Came out with a Carrier bag With a 2x 6 pack of beer. Then they started picking a fight with these 2 men about 40 who were both smoking.
Chri$ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 11:58 AM #19
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

You have council estates in Florida? and so near so Spar?
Old 20-11-2008, 12:18 PM #20

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Quote:
Originally posted by Chri$
I do understand why we are Stereotyped. People who live on a Council Estate ware Hoodies and Tracksuit and they are Rough so if you see someone young especially a Male you would get Intimidated.
They're not all like that though, just some of them ...
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 01:03 PM #21

i live in a council house and i am far from being a hoodie wearing chav which exactly what i am saying its quick to judge people on what the stereotypical 'norm' is
pinkmichk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 05:19 PM #22
Z

Z

It's really hard being a teenager nowadays, I speak from the opposite end of the spectrum. I go to a private school, and people judge me on what I do wrong too. If I don't give up my seat to an elderly person, it gets commented on by people on the bus, loudly (I always do when the bus is full, but this is like when all the seats at the front are taken up, and I don't see why the elderly person can't go to the back of the bus.. is that selfish?) or if I'm walking with a group of my friends in school uniform down a street to get onto the high street, in order to catch a bus, and I really can't help walking with people down that street, people are "intimidated" - but we're in school uniform, and it's 3:30, people ought to realise that school kids go down that street at that time every day, instead of complaining about how they feel "threatened" just because of the large number.

I often feel threatened by a group of drunken people walking past me at night, regardless of their age, but only young people get criticised for it. It's really unfair, regardless of what background you come from. I'd go as far as saying that, outside of the huge cities (London, Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool etc) discrimination against young people is a bigger problem than racism, where the populations of ethnic minorities are smaller and therefore not as prominent an issue.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 06:11 PM #23
Banned

Banned

I think it's a big problem it's blatant ageism that's allowed to take place.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 06:21 PM #24

Favourites (more):
UBB: Chantelle

Favourites (more):
UBB: Chantelle

Quote:
This is that film

Produced by Barnardos

Quote:

Barnardos
YouTube Home page
Thats actually quite disgraceful!

And being in South London i think kids around the age of 15-18 are sterotyped wayy too much! I know alot of my primary school friends who went to private schools think that most of the people in my school are gangsters etc.. Im not a gangster and i go to that school? And the majority of the girls in my school are the same!

There may be your fair share of fights etc.. but isnt that the same in every school? I can totally understand why boys/girls in hoodies could be intimidating to others but not EVERY child is like that, there are some good people out there!

Im also going to bring race into this because i know some people actually on tibb [naming no names] who actually really angered me one time when they said something along these lines 'Its mainly black people who do bad stuff in South London isnt it? I mean you dont see a white person on the news everyday being killed/killing do you?'. Just because there are quite alot of young black youths being killed it dosent mean that everyone is like that. And it was totally ignorant of them. I think its stereotyping awful thing to do. But theres two sides to every story i suppose..?
Christina is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 08:25 PM #25

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally posted by NettoSuperstar!
You have council estates in Florida? and so near so Spar?
No I used to live in the UK a few months ago.
Chri$ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
sterotyped, teenagers