Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:05 AM #1

Favourites:
BB17: Jayne

Favourites:
Default Ricky Gervais In Fat Controversy, For Making Fat Jokes

I can't believe these people. Dlisted.com had a pretty funny take on this.

Ricky Gervais Hates Fatties

In Ricky Gervais' new comedy audiobook, he jokes that fat asses who get lipo and the gastric bypass surgery are "lazy fat pigs." Karl Lagerfeld just fell in love (see below).

Ricky said, "If your arse is too ****ing fat, stop eating and go for a run." The Telegraph said Ricky was attacking overweight people. He responded to this on his own blog by saying he will never stop the fat jokes until doctors prove that being a member of the chunk club is something you're born with. Has Ricky never heard of the fat gene?! Anyway, here's what he had to say:

I heard someone on the radio once say that they were tired of the prejudice aimed at the overweight. They said something like "you're not allowed to make fun of gay people, so why are you allowed to make fun of fat people? It's the same thing."

It's not the same thing though, is it? Gay people are born that way. They didn't work at becoming gay. Fat people became fat because they would rather be that way than stop eating so much. They had to eat and eat to get fat. Then, when they were fat they had to keep up the eating to stay fat. For gayness to be the same as fatness, gay people would have to start off straight but then ween themselves onto cock. Soon they're noshing all day getting gayer and gayer. They've had more than enough cock... they're full... they're just sucking for the sake of it. Now they're overgay, and frowned upon by people who can have the occasional cock but not over indulge.

When a doctor tells me that that's how you become gay, I'll stop making jokes about fat people.

"Overgay" is the story of my life. Just ask my doctor. He prescribed me a diet of less Bravo, more Spike and less cock, more Kid Rock. That last part rhymes!

Anybody who has seen Ricky's act knows that he's a fat bitch who makes fun of fat bitches and he knows it. When he makes a blubber joke, he'll follow it up with, "I'm a fatty bo batty myself..." or something like that. Because he's a plumpy himself, it's okay for him to make fun of fatties, right? Right?

And who takes him seriously anyway? He's a ****ing comedian. It's just jokes! Jokes! People get are so damn oversensitive. You can't make fun of fat people, skinny bitches, gays, lezzies, straights, gingers, squirrels, ferns, etc... What else is there left to laugh at? Rocks?! Well, that includes most of Hollywood, so that settles that. We'll only make fun of ****ing rocks!
letmein is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:04 AM #2

Favourites:
BB11: John James

Favourites:

The Telegraph is rubbish.
Ricky Gervais is hilarious .... he probably knocked the telegraph back when they asked for an interview so they wrote that rubbish as an attack to try to keep him in line. ... lol good luck

The "fat gene" sounds like a new version of " oh he's big boned". ie another way to excuse obesity. Now every overweight person is thinking "hey maybe I'm lazy and fat because of my genes...so it's not my fault after all!". Nah that fat gene is only responsible for a few kgs per person and then only in the few that have it. Eat less, exercise more... simple ( to say hehe). I think Ricky's point is stop sounding like a selfish emo kids who blame the world before they look at themselves.

Anyway comedians ought to be allowed to joke about what ever they want ( provided it doesn't incite hate)... it's the only way to tell what a society really thinks and feels about raw and touchy issues.
ange7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:23 AM #3

Favourites:

Favourites:

Yes, there are people who have a genetic predisposition for obesity, but that doesn't mean that you magically gain weight. You gain weight from eating. Different people can only eat a certain portion of food. They are trying to make it normal to be obese. It's not. You have to also remember that if you come from an obese family, you could be in an environment which has unhealthy eating habits. People look for an easy way to excuse their behavior and take no responsibility. No one ever said that losing weight was easy, and no one is saying that anyone should be an asshole to a fat person. But to make it that obesity is normal, is just insane. People are dropping dead left and right from obesity related deaths.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:36 AM #4

Favourites:

Favourites:

yeah dude... I don't think anyone would argue against anything you said. The interesting part was about how far a comedian can go. Telegraph sounds like it's taking the moral high ground to keep 80% of it's readers on side but I'd be interested to know where or even if there is a line to be drawn about what comedians can or can't say.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:12 AM #5

Favourites:

Favourites:

And Gervais is fat. So, he's then putting himself down.

I am probably the only person in the world who finds Ricky kind of hot.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:54 PM #6

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally posted by letmein

lol ...correct.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:00 AM #7
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
UBB: Brian
BB11: Josie
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
UBB: Brian
BB11: Josie

Anyone listened to Ricky and Karl pilkington podcasts. They are so funny! Ricky isnt offensive its just funny and ironic
NettoSuperstar! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:20 AM #8

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally posted by NettoSuperstar!
Anyone listened to Ricky and Karl pilkington podcasts. They are so funny! Ricky isnt offensive its just funny and ironic
lol ..yeah I listened to those as they came out ...

I like how some people use the audio to create these animated movies hehe

my fav was the one about the haunted house that used to be a mental asylum but I couldn't find it.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:37 AM #9

He totally has a point, people who get lipo are just lazy. Get on a healthy diet and run! Its not that hard!
Fom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:15 PM #10
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

I love that Ricky is standing his ground on this issue. It's true what he says; you aren't born fat. You are responsible for your own size/weight. I get fat by eating too much and not exercising enough. I then do the opposite and lose weight. My weight goes up and down a lot.

But, I don't blame anything for it. I don't go around saying, "It's because I’ve had two children, or I’m genetically predisposed to be fat.”

Apart from exceptional cases, being fat is a choice. We all have the choice to gain or lose weight. I’m not saying it’s easy, because I know it’s not, but nor is it impossible.

It is, however, impossible to change your sexuality. So statements like this...

"You’re not allowed to make fun of gay people, so why are you allowed to make fun of fat people? It's the same thing."

...are utter bollocks!
lily. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:20 PM #11

LOL lazy lazy fat people!!

Eat healthy and work out.

Dont be lazy and go for some surgery..

Hate people that complain about being fat whilst they are eating chips and pizza n drinking coke n alcohol...
30stone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:25 PM #12

Favourites (more):
BB16: Jade
CBB15: Cami Li

Favourites (more):
BB16: Jade
CBB15: Cami Li

Quote:
Originally posted by letmein

no, you're not
hannah. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:27 PM #13
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

Ben, I would never get cosmetic surgery. I'd only get operated on if my life depended on it. There's no chance of me ever going under the knife for vanity.

Hannah, seek help. :P
lily. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:56 PM #14

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by Linda
I love that Ricky is standing his ground on this issue. It's true what he says; you aren't born fat. You are responsible for your own size/weight. I get fat by eating too much and not exercising enough. I then do the opposite and lose weight. My weight goes up and down a lot.

But, I don't blame anything for it. I don't go around saying, "It's because I’ve had two children, or I’m genetically predisposed to be fat.”

Apart from exceptional cases, being fat is a choice. We all have the choice to gain or lose weight. I’m not saying it’s easy, because I know it’s not, but nor is it impossible.

"You’re not allowed to make fun of gay people, so why are you allowed to make fun of fat people? It's the same thing."

...are utter ********!
Scientists managed to turn gay sheep straight which suggests it can be done for other animals (possibly humans) so maybe it isn't impossible ...

I hate Ricky Gervais but this is daft and just another example of people complaining over the smallest thing just because they can
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:39 PM #15

lmao, he's well funny. In GTA4 theres a comedy club you can go into and watch him live and all his jokes there revolve around fat people.
Conor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:49 PM #16
ZakJam <3~

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Zak
BBCanada 9: Victoria

ZakJam <3~

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Zak
BBCanada 9: Victoria

They should put down the burgers and coke and go for a jog then.

Christ, I bet some fat people get depressed over his jokes and comfort eat.

Most of the fat people I know (thank God) never complain if someone calls them fat or jokes about them being fat, because they know they are. I can't stand it when people complain that they're fat and don't do anything about it. Its like saying you want money but don't get a job.

[/rant]
LemonJam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:03 PM #17
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Quote:

...are utter ********!
Scientists managed to turn gay sheep straight which suggests it can be done for other animals (possibly humans) so maybe it isn't impossible ...

I hate Ricky Gervais but this is daft and just another example of people complaining over the smallest thing just because they can
Animal experimentation is a dubious enterprise that has no relevance for humans; any perceived relevance is artificial and forced, a mere consequence of the way research grant applications must be written to get public funding.

That whole experiment was lambasted as being a waste of money and resource. As well as the fact that the sheeps brains were later dissected, sheep do not posess the cognitive abilitys we humans do. Abilitys that have shaped language, environment and culture throughout history. And as a result, sexuality.

Also, that was a great post LemonJam. I agree 100% .
Stu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:05 PM #18

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonJam
They should put down the burgers and coke and go for a jog then.

Christ, I bet some fat people get depressed over his jokes and comfort eat.

Most of the fat people I know (thank God) never complain if someone calls them fat or jokes about them being fat, because they know they are. I can't stand it when people complain that they're fat and don't do anything about it. Its like saying you want money but don't get a job.

[/rant]
spot on.
30stone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:44 PM #19

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Quote:

...are utter ********!

Animal experimentation is a dubious enterprise that has no relevance for humans; any perceived relevance is artificial and forced, a mere consequence of the way research grant applications must be written to get public funding.

That whole experiment was lambasted as being a waste of money and resource. As well as the fact that the sheeps brains were later dissected, sheep do not posess the cognitive abilitys we humans do. Abilitys that have shaped language, environment and culture throughout history. And as a result, sexuality.
Which is why I said suggests and maybe ...

And animal experiment can be adapted to humans, hence a lot of products are tested on animals. They don't just do that for fun.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:56 PM #20
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Which is why I said suggests and maybe ...

And animal experiment can be adapted to humans, hence a lot of products are tested on animals. They don't just do that for fun.
I know you said suggests and maybe. And I was still replying with my point. Makes absoloutely no difference. How was I to expect that you would suddenly become so obsessed with simple terminology in lieu of any proper discussion?

I know products are [wrongly] tested on animals. I assumed that was so obvious to everybody that it was not worth my fingers effort to mention the exception. Experiments of a cerebral and/or neurological nature though are an entirely different story. More often than not comparisons between humans and animals are bleak and abstract.

On a side note, I would be interested in seeing how psychedelic experiments performed on humans could asses the impact and causes of diverse sexual orientations in humans, as psychedelic therapy shows huge promise in dealing with emotional issues in cognitive function.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:06 PM #21

I suppose with regards to Tom's post I would have to wonder how many gay people would WANT to have a procedure to make them straight?? crazy world we live in that scientists even thought to pursue this as an experiment.

As for being over weight, well I was fat and like Linda said I went out and did something about it. I sorted my sorry self out and have many photos as evidence to my great size that I keep to remind me that I never want to look like that again.
Sunny_01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:02 PM #22
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunny_01
I suppose with regards to Tom's post I would have to wonder how many gay people would WANT to have a procedure to make them straight?? crazy world we live in that scientists even thought to pursue this as an experiment.
I imagine they are the same stoned lottery winners who make glow in the dark mice using genetics.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:18 AM #23

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Quote:

...are utter ********!

not sure if I'm more shocked by the fact that you think Gervais isn't funny or that your still renewing your subscription to Gay sheep monthly. Keep us updated on any new gay sheep news tom!
Old 07-01-2009, 03:36 PM #24

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunny_01
I suppose some would, although I'd bet on that being a small number and those who literally can't come to terms with it etc. I don't think it was maybe set out for that actual conclusion, perhaps just to see if it could be done or if it actually is impossible?

Quote:
Originally posted by ange7

not sure if I'm more shocked by the fact that you think Gervais isn't funny or that your still renewing your subscription to Gay sheep monthly. Keep us updated on any new gay sheep news tom!
It went under due to the credit crunch
Old 07-01-2009, 03:39 PM #25
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

As a fatty () I agree with what he said, even if it was a joke.
Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
controversy, fat, gervais, jokes, making, ricky