Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:53 PM #1

Default Miss Black Britain.

Something that quite annoys me...

Ok so there is obviously a "Miss England" and "Miss Great Britain" competition..

but there is a "Miss Black Britain"

So why is there no "Miss White Britain" or "Miss Asian Britain" or anything else.

Why is there a "Miss Black Britain" When there is no other compeitions for specific races...
30stone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:13 PM #2

Favourites:
BB17: Jayne

Favourites:
BB17: Jayne

That sounds really stupid. Who started Miss Black Britain?

I guess anyone can start a Miss pageant these days.

We're are the Miss Gay Britain?
letmein is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:16 PM #3
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
UBB: Brian
BB11: Josie
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

do you see many black women in miss britain? Just equalling things up a bit. they do have Mr Gay UK. Miss lesbo UK would be great lol
NettoSuperstar! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:17 PM #4
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

a former Mr gay UK killed his boyfriend and ate him. That was in the news recently
Old 04-12-2008, 01:24 PM #5

Quote:
Originally posted by NettoSuperstar!
do you see many black women in miss britain? Just equalling things up a bit. they do have Mr Gay UK. Miss lesbo UK would be great lol
no you dont doesnt mean they shouldnt enter the usual one though??

it really annoys me that they cant just enter the "Miss Great Britain" and have to be different and need a "Miss Black Britain"

all races are able to enter "Miss Great Britain" so why couldnt they.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:27 PM #6
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by 30stone
Quote:
no you dont doesnt mean they shouldnt enter the usual one though??

it really annoys me that they cant just enter the "Miss Great Britain" and have to be different and need a "Miss Black Britain"

all races are able to enter "Miss Great Britain" so why couldnt they.
Im sure they do enter, but its typically a white brit affair, white judges and so on. I dont really know, but I dont think a black women has ever won it. Minority groups want to raise their profile and status in society its perfectly normal. I dont see anything wrong with it.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:32 PM #7
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

I just had a quick look one asian girl has won the title
Old 04-12-2008, 01:35 PM #8
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

I can see the argument that it encourages segregation rather than integration but if things were more equal maybe they wouldnt have felt the need to do it
Old 04-12-2008, 01:36 PM #9
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

Aneka Johnson, event organiser, said: "It's not segregation at all. We are trying to promote black women.

"If there was more of an even reflection of this then I don't think there would be a need for a Miss Black Britain contest in the first place."

She added that the contest, set up in November 2006, was born out of the frustration with the lack of black British female role models and pioneers especially in the area of fashion and entertainment.

"Miss Great Britain has been dominated by a lot of white girls for a long time and many judges or even the contestants who go ahead for it are mainly white," she said.

I just found this from the organiser
Old 04-12-2008, 01:41 PM #10

Doesnt make it any different to me that they should be just going in for the same competitions as everyone else why should they been promoting black women just because of their skin colour?

There is some beautiful black women and they should enter the "Miss Great Britain" contest and would do perfectly well..
Old 04-12-2008, 01:43 PM #11
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Doesnt make it any different to me that they should be just going in for the same competitions as everyone else why should they been promoting black women just because of their skin colour?

There is some beautiful black women and they should enter the "Miss Great Britain" contest and would do perfectly well..
because there are a lack of positive role models for young black women. like she said if the world of media/fashion was equal then there wouldnt be any need to promote black women out there. Im sure they will continue to be more black/asian women take part in the Miss GB aswell, this could help them become more a part of the mainstream in the long run
Old 04-12-2008, 01:43 PM #12

Quote:
I can see the argument that it encourages segregation rather than integration but if things were more equal maybe they wouldnt have felt the need to do it
more equal they are perfectly equal?
Old 04-12-2008, 01:45 PM #13

Quote:
Quote:

because there are a lack of positive role models for young black women. like she said if the world of media/fashion was equal then there wouldnt be any need to promote black women out there
Yeh but if we had all the top women from the miss black britain join the miss great britain contest there would be its just none of them enter it anymore which is quite dissapointing.

Really dissaprove of things like this..
Old 04-12-2008, 01:46 PM #14
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Quote:
Ok how many black models are there? Naomi Campbell and theres another one I can think of, how many white models? How many white girls enter miss GB and how many black models and then how many get through to the finals? Im sure it is far from equal
Old 04-12-2008, 01:48 PM #15

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ok how many black models are there? Naomi Campbell and theres another one I can think of, how many white models? How many white girls enter miss GB and how many black models and then how many get through to the finals? Im sure it is far from equal
No its simply because a lot of black women arent joining it because it seems that way and there is many more white women then black women in this country so that will always happen.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:49 PM #16
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

because there are a lack of positive role models for young black women. like she said if the world of media/fashion was equal then there wouldnt be any need to promote black women out there
Yeh but if we had all the top women from the miss black britain join the miss great britain contest there would be its just none of them enter it anymore which is quite dissapointing.

yeh but why dont they enter now? How far do they get now? How many of the judges reflect different ethnic backgrounds. I would guess very few get very far and there are very few black judges. Also because there are hardly any role models in that area, most young black women probably wont see it as an option. Miss Black UK could change that perception
Old 04-12-2008, 01:51 PM #17
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No its simply because a lot of black women arent joining it because it seems that way and there is many more white women then black women in this country so that will always happen.
Well I can think of 2 black models one I dont know her name. And countless white models I dont think thats in proportion to the general population. They are under represented in the fashion world, thats what the organiser said
Old 04-12-2008, 01:52 PM #18

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yeh but why dont they enter now? How far do they get now? How many of the judges reflect different ethnic backgrounds. I would guess very few get very far and there are very few black judges. Also because there are hardly any role models in that area, most young black women probably wont see it as an option. Miss Black UK could change that perception
i understand that but its is dissapointing showing that they are making another competition just so a certain race can get more publicity then others...
Old 04-12-2008, 01:54 PM #19
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i understand that but its is dissapointing showing that they are making another competition just so a certain race can get more publicity then others...
I dont think thats the point or that they will get more publicity, the point is to equal things up and get more black role models out there so they can be equally represented

Its all about equality
Old 04-12-2008, 01:58 PM #20

but their doing it in a way that shows their not equal by having a separate competition..
Old 04-12-2008, 02:02 PM #21
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

Quote:
but their doing it in a way that shows their not equal by having a separate competition..
I know what your saying and hopefully things will change when everyone feels equal in society but thats the reason why and I hope it works out well for them and I think it could help to make the actual Miss GB a more equally represented competition too in the long run, which would mean there would be no need for Miss Black GB then. I have a dream... lol
Old 04-12-2008, 02:04 PM #22

Quote:
Quote:
I know what your saying and hopefully things will change when everyone feels equal in society but thats the reason why and I hope it works out well for them and I think it could help to make the actual Miss GB a more equally represented competition too in the long run, which would mean there would be no need for Miss Black GB then. I have a dream... lol
I see it as reverse discrimination really which is that part that annoys me, your white/ asian etc you cant join this competition, yet everyone can join the miss great britain
Old 04-12-2008, 02:06 PM #23
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

Quote:
a former Mr gay UK killed his boyfriend and ate him. That was in the news recently
Proving once and for all that no good can come of pageants.
lily. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:07 PM #24

Quote:

Totally agree.
Categorising different races etc. in competitions like this is a step backwards in my opinion at a time when we are trying to promote equality.
Bells is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:07 PM #25
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I see it as reverse discrimination really which is that part that annoys me, your white/ asian etc you cant join this competition, yet everyone can join the miss great britain
yeh I know but unless youve experienced being in a minority group or what its like for people in a minority with few role models to look up to its hard to understand. I mean white people really have nothing to worry about on that score. you can join Miss GB or do what you like there are no barriers and plenty of role models out there which makes you think its possible

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
black, britain, miss