Notices

BB5 Nadia, Michelle, Stuart, Jason and the rest of the Big Brother 5 housemates.

Old 28-09-2004, 07:09 PM #1

Default Kitten protests against hunting in Brighton

Quote:

'Hunt the rich'

The hunt lobby dominated an overcast seafront but there was a celebrity glimmer from the anti-hunt lobby.

Big Brother's Kitten was ushered away by police when she turned up in fox ears with a fake bloody knife and a "hunt the rich" banner.

The 24-year-old from Brighton told reporters she wanted to show support for hunt saboteurs and animal rights activists.

"The arguments from pro-hunters are really not justified and it is a very cruel sport," she said as a handful of hunt supporters tried to shout her down with horns and bellows of "scum", "you don't know what you're talking about" and one cry of "ban gays".
From BBC News
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-09-2004, 04:08 PM #2

Sorry but as someone who has seen the aftermath of a fox raid on a chicken coop the idea that they are harmless, pretty animals who are treated badly does not ring true with me. My grandfather used to have a smallholding and I can remember the carnage that foxes used to leave. They didnt eat the chickens but just killed them and many of them actually died of fright. Hunting results in a quick kill, whereas shooting can leave animals hurt and dying. Find a quick guaranteed way to kill foxes other than hunting and I will be behind it, but they are pests and have to be controlled.

Sorry for the rant, but people like Kitten who jump on any bandwagon which is anti-establishment really annoy me.
BusyBee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-09-2004, 03:13 PM #3

Hunting is a quick Kill. Indeed......Rubbish..What about the chase that runs it till its heart is bursting.

So foxes kill for food. oh dear Oh dear Oh dear Big bad fox. Don't humans KILL for food. Don't humans kill chickens. Oh yeah thats different aint it.......

If foxes need to be culled then it should be done by pest control experts and not a bunch of blood thirsty clowns on horse back with a pack of hunting dogs seeing the death of the animal purly for ENTERTAINMENT.
bananarama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-09-2004, 08:19 PM #4

Totally agree with Bananarama on this.
Teacup is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 12:56 PM #5

Quote:
Originally posted by bananarama
Hunting is a quick Kill. Indeed......Rubbish..What about the chase that runs it till its heart is bursting.

So foxes kill for food. oh dear Oh dear Oh dear Big bad fox. Don't humans KILL for food. Don't humans kill chickens. Oh yeah thats different aint it.......

If foxes need to be culled then it should be done by pest control experts and not a bunch of blood thirsty clowns on horse back with a pack of hunting dogs seeing the death of the animal purly for ENTERTAINMENT.
I usually agree with you on most things bananarama, but on this issue I don't.

Hunting has been a part of our culture for centuries. For a lot of country folk it is a way of life most townies fail and refuse to understand. It's also wrong to presume that only hooray-henry's go fox hunting. That's the sort of image the anti-hunt lobby like to portray in order to get support.

Would you rather chickens get ripped apart by a fox with their remains scatterered over a small area depriving that farmer of his income, or humanly killed in an abortoire to end up at the frozen food section at your local supermarket for human consumption?

I believe we should eradicate the fox completely from these shores. The creature is vermin and I am fully behind fox hunting and any means to see this creature killed whatever means possible.

Tally-ho!
AndyJK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 04:06 PM #6

Dog fighting and a certain type of bird fighting used to be a . A "WAY OF LIFE" .!!! That is a stupid reason for continuing something that is fundamentally evil. Tally-ho....
Old 10-10-2004, 12:07 PM #7

I've never been hunting having lived most of my life in the city. However, I have to listen to the country folk and respect their way of life even if its alien to me. If these people are strongely opposed to a ban on fox hunting because it would destroy their livelihoods and way of life, then I couldn't possibly support any legislation that would see that happen.

A lot of exageration and misrepresentation is always being used in some newspapers to get public support from those who live away from country life. Parasites, like Kitten, are utterly selfish, bigoted and utterly impervious to reason. A description which could also be applied to many of the Labour MPs sitting in the House of Commons.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:36 PM #8

Exaggeration works both ways. The pro hunt brigade want people to believe they are doing a public service.

All they are doing is supporting an evil practice that has become a way of life. Sadistic monsters like fox hunters will not give up their need to get high on the chasing of and tearing to bits an animal. JUST FOR ENTERTAINMENT.

Listening to one of the creeps being interviewed on the day of protest. She said of fox hunting. Oh well it a good day out for the children.

Ok children lets go and have a jolly happy day and see a fox slaughtered by a bunch of sadistic and sick idiots on horse back along with a pack of blood thirsty dogs. Oh yeah that a jolly day for the children. That’s a fine example of civilized behaviour to show their children.

As for conservatives and there pro hunt stance. That come as no surprise from the Zimmer frame party with a well entrenched and well practiced inability of being able to recognise right from wrong.....
Old 10-10-2004, 04:46 PM #9

I'm totally against fox hunting - it's got to be one of the cruellest things imaginable. Hearing it was going to be banned was one of the highlights of this year!
Julia L is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 05:53 PM #10

Quote:
Originally posted by bananarama
Exaggeration works both ways. The pro hunt brigade want people to believe they are doing a public service.

All they are doing is supporting an evil practice that has become a way of life. Sadistic monsters like fox hunters will not give up their need to get high on the chasing of and tearing to bits an animal. JUST FOR ENTERTAINMENT.

Listening to one of the creeps being interviewed on the day of protest. She said of fox hunting. Oh well it a good day out for the children.

Ok children lets go and have a jolly happy day and see a fox slaughtered by a bunch of sadistic and sick idiots on horse back along with a pack of blood thirsty dogs. Oh yeah that a jolly day for the children. That’s a fine example of civilized behaviour to show their children.

As for conservatives and there pro hunt stance. That come as no surprise from the Zimmer frame party with a well entrenched and well practiced inability of being able to recognise right from wrong.....
I'm just seeing regurgitated phrases you'd see in Hunt Saboteur Monthly. Words like "evil", "sadistic monsters" are quite powerful, and intended to be, but are certainly not an accurate portrayal of countryside folk partaking in fox hunting. Your sentiments could easily have been confused with describing an Al-Khada terrorist.

Foxes are a menace. Living in the city I'm beginning to see more of them hanging around my garden. I do know they kill cats and other small domestic animals, and that's what worrys me, and why I have no liking for this creature.

As for the Conservative party, they have a lot of MPs representing rural communities, and have a duty to put the concerns of their constituents to the House Of Commons. They also want to preseve the country way of life which is constantly under threat from city dwellers and townies who have no idea or interest in country life. To them igorance is bliss.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:22 PM #11
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

The fact of the matter is that fox hunting is tied up with so many other aspects of the countryside

Farmers can get rid of fallen stock by passing it along to the hunt kennels

Some aspects of horse activities, such as dressage and point to point depend on the fox hunting infra structure

Even drag hunting relies on the fox hunting facilities.

A lot of knock on jobs depend on hunting.

The idea of killing a creature for sport seem abhorrant and out of place, yet these and many interconnections seem to be ignored by people in the towns.

As I said elsewhere
Quote:
Posted on forumjunkies
As a townie, what right do I have to say what a countryside person can do. This has become town versus country, the perception being that townies have a romantic version of a rural idle, when country people know nature is cruel in tooth and claw.
I sometimes think that in the debate over fox hunting we forget that there are other welfare issues

Quote:
Posted on forumjunkies
We worry about the occasional fox that gets killed by a fox hunt yet what about tolleration of poor animal husbandry and "cheap" meat from abroad where animal welfare is not as high as here.

We worry about the occasional fox that gets killed by a fox hunt yet we ship live animals incredibly long distances because European legislation has forced the closure of local abbatoirs.

We worry about the occasional fox that gets killed by a fox hunt yet every year puppys are abandoned because someone thought it would make a great Christmas present for a child

We worry about the occasional fox that gets killed by a fox hunt yet still people buy battery farmed eggs, because they are cheaper.

We worry about the occasional fox that gets killed by a fox hunt yet annimals needlessly suffer to make sure that beauty products wont cause any problems or to test medicines on animals who have a totally different physiology to us, thus limiting their value.

We worry about the occasional fox that gets killed by a fox hunt yet ....

Get the picture

Sometimes

Do we have the focus right?
On this issue I seem to have ended up on the fence, not the easiest place to be
Sticks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 11:44 AM #12

I really don't want to get into this one at all Sticks. However, just to point out, on the Dressage/showjumping front, that my neice competes successfully in both of these in the Netherlands. Neither she, or her horse, or her friends and their horses had ANYTHING whatsoever to do with foxhunting!
Romantic Old Bird is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 04:21 PM #13

What amazed me was the number of MPs who actually attended the debate on this subject. They had already made their minds up before they voted and couldnt be bothered to show the country that they were actually listening to a debate. How many actually consulted their constituency members? Are they just jumping on the bandwagon? This is what annoys me in many respects our MPs are supposed to be representing us, but seem to do their own thing.

Find an alternative way to control the fox population which is going to be guaranteed then I am all for it, but shooting is not always successful and poisoning could lead to other animals being affected.
BusyBee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 04:28 PM #14
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Romantic Old Bird
I really don't want to get into this one at all Sticks. However, just to point out, on the Dressage/showjumping front, that my neice competes successfully in both of these in the Netherlands. Neither she, or her horse, or her friends and their horses had ANYTHING whatsoever to do with foxhunting!
I can not speak for the set up in the Netherlands, but on Farming Today on Radio 4, they did point out that a number of other horse activities did depend on the stables provided by various fox hunts.

Also a number of horse related industries, like farriers and blacksmiths, rely on work put their way by the various hunts as there "bread and butter" work.

It seems that things out there in the sticks, if you pardon the expression, are more interconnected than people realise.

I find the idea of killing an animal for sport an anathma, and I would prefer people switched to drag hunting, but that too is dependant on the various fox hunts for the stabling of the horses and the hounds

But if fox hunting is banned, then the next targets are shooting and fishing - and I have seen the anti-angling literature. The arguments given to ban fishing will be those that they used for foxhunting, in much the way they are using the arguments used to ban bear baiting, badger baiting and cock fighting to ban fox hunting.

I feel caught between two factions, and if I had been an MP, I would havd had to do what our MP did and abstain.
Old 13-10-2004, 08:34 PM #15
Oldgit

Oldgit

I read somewhere recently that foxes are deliberately bred for hunting in some parts, as long as bloodthirsty people want to hunt them, they'll make sure they are never eradicated. In no way is foxhunting a form of control.

As a townie, I love foxes. We have them round where I live. When local youths (and some old enough to know better) dump half their fried chicken and chips on the floor after closing time, the foxes clear it up before the rats arrive!

Foxes or rats? One is inevitable, and I know what I'd prefer!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2004, 08:59 PM #16
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

[diversion]
In case anyone thought I was using a rude term, I was not, I was being historical.

See this link as defence exhibit A

[/diversion]

The rise of the urban fox is a phenomenon that should shame us at the way we have taken away these creatures habitat, and those of the rat

Old 20-10-2004, 04:29 PM #17

Quote:
I'm just seeing regurgitated phrases you'd see in Hunt Saboteur Monthly. Words like "evil", "sadistic monsters" are quite powerful, and intended to be, but are certainly not an accurate portrayal of countryside folk partaking in fox hunting. Your sentiments could easily have been confused with describing an Al-Khada terrorist.
For the record I have never heard of let alone seen Saboteur Monthly. The sentiments I quote have not been taken from any second hand source. The sentiments I quote are based on the knowledge of civilized behavour and knowing right from wrong.

In a way fox hunters are like terrorists in the sense that they have no value for life. They don't value the fact they are learning their children to kill for pleasure. They don't value the dogs of which are often killed by trains. They are mindless of civilized standards.

No amount of verbal semantics can change the fact that KILLING for ENTERTAINMENT is wrong. If you cannot see that then I am sorry for you.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
brighton, hunting, kitten, protests