Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB 1 - 5 Celebrity Big Brother series 1 to 5 from 2001-2008.

Old 23-01-2009, 05:14 AM #1

Default Serious question about racism and sexism

I am still confused as to why it is OK for the men, in particularly Foolio in this series and lets not forget Rex and Darnell in the previous one as well, to behave in a sexist manner whereas racism isnt tolerated (rightly so). The defence for this behaviour has been that Foolio has been joking and winding them up, or that he is doing it to get them to walk (his excuse) or the women he is winding up are being too sensitive and cant take a joke, and should ignore it or answer back. I think thats the reasons given.

So lets say I, as a white man, went into the house and claimed the house was mine and I was going to make everyone leave by winding them up. I then do this by saying to a black contestant that he should do all my cooking make my bed and that black people are slaves to the white man. When someone says thats not fair, I say to them that they are all "n word" and that "I dont give a *****". When the black person I have said this to, complains and even may cry and get upset, I claim that they are deliberately targetting me and making me look bad because they know how these shows work, and really all I was doing was having a laugh and I have now been victimised.

OK so thats my example, and I just dont see why one is more acceptable than the other. Without attacking me, as I'm trying to ask a sensible question, can someone explain why it is OK for this type of "jokey behaviour" to be aimed at women but not at a different race?
bradley27 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 06:20 AM #2

Because BB has had racist complaints before. That's all it is I think. BB don't want to lose Coolio.
TheMac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 06:36 AM #3

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_mitb
Because BB has had racist complaints before. That's all it is I think. BB don't want to lose Coolio.
but there was quite a bit of grief with complaints about Darnell and Rex's treatment of Sarah in the summer's BB.

I suppose what I'm saying is I cant tell a difference. Both to me are sickening and shouldnt be allowed in this day and age
Old 23-01-2009, 11:23 AM #4

I think its a shame that apart from mr_mitb, no one has tried to offer up anything to this. Maybe the point is there is no difference and as it cant be argued those that defend the actions, are not able enter the debate, which is a shame, because I'd really like to understand why
Old 23-01-2009, 11:35 AM #5
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
UBB: Brian
BB11: Josie
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

Well for a start Coolio is on the wind up and having a laugh and no it hasnt gone over into harrassment like Rex etc and secondly your ignoring the whole historical and social context.
NettoSuperstar! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 11:39 AM #6

Great post, coolio has gone as far as rex did toward rachel he got a warning for it. I think coolio at least deserves that.
30stone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 11:42 AM #7
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

Rex's warning was for harassing Sara with Mo and whoever else it was, they over stepped the mark in making personal remarks about her sexuality. Coolio hasnt done anything like that
Old 23-01-2009, 11:43 AM #8

Quote:
Originally posted by 30stone
Great post, coolio has gone as far as rex did toward rachel he got a warning for it. I think coolio at least deserves that.
Sorry 30 how can you put rex an coolio in the same category?rex was fookin herendous coolio was annoying going on about her a ben but he was only pointing out the obvious,rex was was a bully coolio is not.
jonsep is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 11:43 AM #9

Its called the brickwall syndrome. When a FM keep saying the same things over and over again, and have discussed the same issues lots of times, there is really nothing else to add.
As far as I know, this is all you talk about, and your position does not and will not change. I am guessing most of the people you were hoping to reply, have already had this conversation with you, but you seem to be like a brickwall.

So to answer the question, most people dont think its the same, and theyve already told you, but you dont seem to accept it. So good luck with your debates.
There are other things to talk about, but if you want to be a broken record, be my guest.
Wildcat! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 11:46 AM #10

Quote:
Originally posted by jonsep
Quote:
Sorry 30 how can you put rex an coolio in the same category?rex was fookin herendous coolio was annoying going on about her a ben but he was only pointing out the obvious,rex was was a bully coolio is not.

Not all the time as rex was worse but on certain days like when coolio was talking to lucy and she was just standing there n that and one day to michelle, most of the time hes not as bad but theres been a couple of times where he's gone to far for my liking to be honest.
30stone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 11:46 AM #11
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

Yeh agreed AMA
Old 23-01-2009, 11:54 AM #12

He's tempered his behaviour since Toyota 'ADVISED' HIM TO TONE IT DOWN....either that or he's only got Ulrika left to have a go at anyway. No question, he has a problem with girls who don't fall at his feet, and 'show' signs of preferring somebody else. Rex and Darnell were more bullying than just plain sexist.
robb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 11:56 AM #13

so if he had a problem with women who dont fall at his feet then why hasnt he had one with toya.
Old 23-01-2009, 11:58 AM #14

Quote:
so if he had a problem with women who dont fall at his feet then why hasnt he had one with toya.
LOL! I was just about to say that! And he seemed only seriously flirting with Latoya, the one who dont seem to fall AT HIS feet!
Wildcat! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 12:02 PM #15

Quote:
Originally posted by NettoSuperstar!
Well for a start Coolio is on the wind up and having a laugh and no it hasnt gone over into harrassment like Rex etc and secondly your ignoring the whole historical and social context.
I think thats the point I'm making. If I made those remarks and I then stated I was winding everyone up, would it mean that the racist comments were OK to be made as I was, using your expression, "on the wind up".
Old 23-01-2009, 12:04 PM #16
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

No because racist comments are racist comments its not a wind up! Coolio has said nothing racist and hasnt over stepped the line towards the women! But I see you just dont get it so I have nothing furthur to say!
Old 23-01-2009, 12:08 PM #17

Quote:
Quote:
interestingly though I did tend to find with Rex it wasnt so much what he said but the amount of time he persisted with the comments, wearing the person down. You would see that much better on the live feed because it would carry on for a couple of hours, but on the h/ls it didnt seem as bad due to the fact, for obvious reasons they were unable to show the relentlessness of it.

Maybe due to no l/f this time, this comments lack the same bite as Rex. obviously its impossible to say, but on the h/ls the comments looked similiar, but we cant tell this time whether the l/f would have provided the answer.

However my main point was about what is the difference between what has been done in this case and what would be done if I was making similiar comments but on a racist viewpoint rather than what we have here. I cant see my excuse that I'm winding people up being accepted and I dont think it should.
Old 23-01-2009, 12:10 PM #18

this is what happens when thers no livr feed you dont get the full picture
Old 23-01-2009, 12:10 PM #19

Quote:
Originally posted by Aint_mad_atcha
Its called the brickwall syndrome. When a FM keep saying the same things over and over again, and have discussed the same issues lots of times, there is really nothing else to add.
As far as I know, this is all you talk about, and your position does not and will not change. I am guessing most of the people you were hoping to reply, have already had this conversation with you, but you seem to be like a brickwall.

So to answer the question, most people dont think its the same, and theyve already told you, but you dont seem to accept it. So good luck with your debates.
There are other things to talk about, but if you want to be a broken record, be my guest.
shame but I expected someone to make it personal. If you want to enter a debate, maybe you could explain why you believe it not to be the same rather than just saying it isnt?
Old 23-01-2009, 12:16 PM #20

Quote:
No because racist comments are racist comments its not a wind up! Coolio has said nothing racist! But I see you just dont get it so I have nothing furthur to say!
I wasnt suggesting he had said anything racist, I was making the point that if I had gone into the house and made racist comments like the ones I had mentioned in the OP, would they be excused if I just said I was winding people up or trying to get people to leave, which were the reasons given for what he did with nearly all the women in there. My point was I cant see why sexism is excuseable if you say you are just winding people up, but not racism.

My feelings are neither should, but it seems here just as in the summer, sexism, whether as a joke or serious, has been acceptable with very little comeback. In fact the people who have been most upset by it have been criticised more for making a big song and dance about it
Old 23-01-2009, 12:18 PM #21

Quote:
this is what happens when thers no livr feed you dont get the full picture
exactly, like I said in a previous post, this summer it wasnt so much what Rex said but the amount of time badgering. On the h/l show it didnt look so bad.
Old 23-01-2009, 12:19 PM #22
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

Coolio is not the most PC but I dont think he has been that disrepspectful/sexist towards the women in there tbh and I would be the first to say If I thought he had.
Old 23-01-2009, 12:21 PM #23

Im sure if it did or didnt happen it will all come out in the red tops when the shows over.
Old 23-01-2009, 12:22 PM #24

Quote:
Coolio is not the most PC but I dont think he has been that disrepspectful/sexist towards the women in there tbh and I would be the first to say If I think he had.
fair enough, I guess at the end of the day, it all boils down to our own interpretations of actions. However I wonder if a 2racist windup" would be allowed, and that is basically my point. Whether he is doing the sexism thing as a wind up or not, what makes that more allowable then a racist wind up?
Old 23-01-2009, 12:23 PM #25

Quote:
Im sure if it did or didnt happen it will all come out in the red tops when the shows over.
only if they find out about it. Remember we or the papers didnt hear all the stuff with Jade the last time until the Ofcom report and that was while we had l/f

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
question, racism, serious, sexism