Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 19-03-2009, 04:01 PM #1
Frozen

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Sam Callahan
CBB 11: Rylan Clark

Frozen

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Sam Callahan
CBB 11: Rylan Clark

Default Fritzl sentenced to life

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090319/...n-41f21e0.html

Josef Fritzl has been sentenced to life in prison for locking up and raping his daughter in a cellar for over 24 years.

The 73-year-old had pleaded guilty to incest, rape, enslavement, coercion and murder, by neglect, in the death of a newborn boy underground.

He initially denied the murder and slavery counts but reversed his plea after watching 11 hours of videotaped testimony from daughter Elisabeth screened in court on Tuesday.

She described how he imprisoned her in a dungeon underneath their home and repeatedly raped her, fathering seven children.

The eight-person jury accepted the argument of prosecutors that Fritzl was responsible for murder, the gravest charge, in the death of a boy born underground because he failed to seek help despite knowing the infant's health was in danger.

He surprised his legal team in Austria when he changed his plea to guilty on all charges.

"I cannot do anything more about (what happened) ... I regret this from the bottom of my heart," Fritzl said in his closing statement at his trial.

Court officials in St Poelten, west of Vienna, said Fritzl would return to a regional jail for the time being before being transferred to an institution for mentally ill offenders where he could get therapy.

They said his condition would be re-evaluated in 15 years and, in theory, if he were deemed cured, he could be released. But both Fritzl and his lawyer has said they expected he would have to spend the rest of his life incarcerated.

Elisabeth was 18 when she was imprisoned in the cramped, windowless cell her father built beneath the family's home in the town of Amstetten.

She and her six surviving children, who range in age from six to 20, have spent months recovering from their ordeal in a psychiatric clinic and at a secret location.

DNA tests prove Fritzl is the biological father of all six of Elisabeth's surviving children, three of whom never saw daylight until the crime came to light 11 months ago.

Three of the children grew up underground in Amstetten and the other three were taken upstairs to be raised by Fritzl and his wife, Rosemarie, who apparently believed they had been abandoned.

Prosecutors said Fritzl refused to speak to his daughter during the first few years of her ordeal, coming downstairs only to rape her.

They said the rapes sometimes occurred in front of the children, and described Elisabeth as a "broken" woman.
Harry! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 04:18 PM #2
can't nobody hold us down

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Joe McElderry

can't nobody hold us down

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Joe McElderry

That poor family.
MarkWaldorf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 04:19 PM #3
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
UBB: Brian
BB11: Josie
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
UBB: Brian
BB11: Josie

...as expected
NettoSuperstar! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 04:19 PM #4

After reading more about this, I feel almost as sorry for Fritzl as I do for his daughter. He's obviously a deeply troubled man, stemming from a dark childhood.
TheMac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 05:04 PM #5
Nah

Nah

Not really surprised. Rapists should have their balls cut.
I hope the family is going to be ok. The Austrian authorities changed their names and stuff so it might help them having a new life. And I hope they will. They deserve it.
Captain.Remy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
fritzl, life, sentenced