X Factor 2013: Sam Callahan
CBB 11: Rylan Clark

Frozen

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Sam Callahan
CBB 11: Rylan Clark

Default Simon Cowell launches attack on Susan Boyle

http://www.people.co.uk/

Simon Cowell has launched an astonishing attack on Susan Boyle, warning that she risks turning herself into a "gimmick".

He told the cat-loving virgin to focus on her singing - or risk wrecking her chances of super-stardom.

Cowell, 49, said: "The problem is with all the sub-stories about the cat and how she looks.

"I'm tired of hearing about the way she looks or the kissing, or this or that. Susan mustn't become a gimmick." The Britain's Got Talent hot favourite, 48, was pictured outside her home in West Lothian, Scotland, on Friday sporting a new makeover - including haircut, fake Burberry scarf and specs.

In an admission that will infuriate Cowell, she said she was "excited" by the offer of Hollywood film roles.

Urging her to concentrate on the ITV1 show, he warned: "It could all go horribly wrong now because there are so many other distractions." In a message to Susan he added: "Get yourself together, sweetheart, for the big one - which is the semi-finals.

"Choose the right song, focus yourself, shut your front door, maybe take a holiday and come back to the person you want to be and not as the person you think you should be." Cowell refused to say if he would sign Boyle to his multi-million pound Syco label when the talent show ends - admitting he was not sure she could live up to the hype. He said: "First she's got the next stage." The judge was said to be incensed yesterday by Boyle's brother John, who told The People he wanted to take her to America next month.

The singer's performances have been viewed more than 120million times on YouTube.

Admirers include actress Demi Moore and US TV host Jay Leno.

Susan signed a contract which forbids her from cashing in on her fame elsewhere until after the ITV1 show has finished.

But John is worried about a delay and called for her to rush out a record release, insisting: "The world is waiting." John, who has put the launch of his new business on hold to act as his sister's manager, added yesterday: "Every entertainer wants to crack America and Susan would love to go over and let everyone hear her sing.

"I haven't read the terms of her show contract, but I want to see her go over.

"Things are mad at the moment, there's just so much interest in her.

Susan has had to change her telephone number to put a stop to all the calls." However, a Britain's Got Talent source insisted: "She won't be going to America until our show is over."
Harry! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 07:56 AM #2
more more more

Favourites (more):
BB16: Jade
BB15: Ashleigh

more more more

Favourites (more):

He's right.
M X is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 07:57 AM #3
more more more

Favourites (more):

more more more

Favourites (more):

btw misleading title.
M X is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 11:09 AM #4
Classic

Classic

She can tell him to fek off! Even if things go OTT about the cat and her coat, all she has to do is sing..

Work will come to her, with or without Simon Cowell.
andyman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 11:12 AM #5

Quote:
Originally posted by TheMichaelO
He's right.
Dom:D is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 11:19 AM #6
Banned

Banned

He's just worried she'll go sign up with someone else after BGT. He wants to sign her up badly and if she's getting film offers and the like she definately won't stay with Simon. I think the criticism she's getting isn't fair. She doesn't invite the press they force their way in and they are making it out like she's some middle aged socialite or something.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 11:27 AM #7

Quote:
Originally posted by Dezzy
He's just worried she'll go sign up with someone else after BGT. He wants to sign her up badly and if she's getting film offers and the like she definately won't stay with Simon. I think the criticism she's getting isn't fair. She doesn't invite the press they force their way in and they are making it out like she's some middle aged socialite or something.
Badly? CMon, lets not go over board here. I mean, sure its a great story and all, but that woman is not exactly a marketing dream. After the show she will have some TV appearances, maybe guest in sopas, etc, but eventually, she will fade away. She is not gonna sell millions of records or anything like that. I think Simon is absolutely right. I mean if she comes in the show, looking all glamorous and things like that, her likeability is gonna go away. Even most people who liked her story, are getting a bid tired of it, and the competition havent even started yes the press are after her, but she can avoid most of the things that have happened so far.
Wildcat! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 11:41 AM #8
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Aint_mad_atcha
Quote:
Originally posted by Dezzy
Badly? CMon, lets not go over board here. I mean, sure its a great story and all, but that woman is not exactly a marketing dream. After the show she will have some TV appearances, maybe guest in sopas, etc, but eventually, she will fade away. She is not going to sell millions of records or anything like that. I think Simon is absolutely right. I mean if she comes in the show, looking all glamorous and things like that, her likeability is going to go away. Even most people who liked her story, are getting a bid tired of it, and the competition havent even started yes the press are after her, but she can avoid most of the things that have happened so far.
2 words, Paul Potts. Face of an ogre but he still had a platinum album and is getting paid loads for opera performances. This is a repeat of that the first BGT. They got tired of Paul Potts as well if I remember right, he still won though. She'll win. Have one or two HUGE albums and then will do a lot of theatre work. Her fame probably will fade but she'll be successful and very well known on stage I think. I haven't even talked about potential american offers. They're still going crazy for her.
Old 26-04-2009, 12:07 PM #9

I think Susan will sell millions of records if she wins or not now, she is one of the most watched videos on youtube... too many people have seen her now to just let her fade away.
Fom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 12:12 PM #10

LOL! Most people watch her because her story is linked to that video in Yahoo, msn and other main sites. SO people watch it out of curiosity and her story. Of course she is gonna get a gazillion amount of viewers. It doesnt mean they are gonna buy her album. Can someone tell me they are looking forward to buying her album?
Old 26-04-2009, 12:17 PM #11
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Aint_mad_atcha
LOL! Most people watch her because her story is linked to that video in Yahoo, msn and other main sites. SO people watch it out of curiosity and her story. Of course she is going to get a gazillion amount of viewers. It doesnt mean they are going to buy her album. Can someone tell me they are looking forward to buying her album?
She's got hundreds of fan groups and millions of fans already, you saying that someone won't take advantage of that audience and sign her up? I've done all about target audiences and Marketing for three years I know that someone wouldn't miss a potential audience like that. Plus we're not even counting the classical audiences and theatre fans yet. She's a lot easy to market then you think.
Old 26-04-2009, 12:23 PM #12

I know all about target audiences and marketing. those internet fans dont mean anything. Especially during a talent show competition. We all saw how that worked out for Diana Vickers. It doesnt mean they are gonna get her to win, or buy her records. She is not maretable at all. Of course she will be signed! She will be a novelty act that will have a minimal amout of success at first. She is nothing extraordinary, whe it comes to classical audiences, they are a lot of established artists in that cathegory. SHe was surprisingly good compared to what people expected, but when that wears off, there is nothing special left.
And again, she has sung once!!
Old 28-04-2009, 12:19 PM #13

To prove Simon's point, the backlash is already starting with the over exposure. Chec out this US article, and read the comments

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/rea...ent-sensation/

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
attack, boyle, cowell, launches, simon, susan