Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Announcements / Suggestions / Help Announcements from Admin, member suggestions and forum help

Old 04-06-2009, 12:03 AM #26
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Originally posted by andyman
What does ILY mean? Only see it in this forum.
I love you.
Lauren is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:48 AM #27
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

FAO does mean For the Attention Of .. you were right Lauren.

Mark, I'm thinking I'm one of the "three" you referred to.. and I'm thinking Stu is another of them... but I'm not sure who the third is.. :P
lily. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:05 AM #28

i for one have no issue with swearing so think it should just be got rid of considering the majority on here are here to watch bb and how much swearing goes on in there shame there isnt a way to put a block on all the ily ikr ftw and so on
pinkmichk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:29 AM #29
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmichk
i for one have no issue with swearing so think it should just be got rid of considering the majority on here are here to watch bb and how much swearing goes on in there shame there isnt a way to put a block on all the ily ikr ftw and so on
Exactly. At least swearing consists or real, honest to god words. We should have a forum poll on it or something, but that will never happen.
Stu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:45 AM #30
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

No. It won't. The filter will stay. That much has been decided.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:55 AM #31
Bitch is BACK!

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Olly Murs

Bitch is BACK!

Favourites:

I actually swear a lot in real life and dont take it offensively at all, although people may not like to accept this, I think swearing is something that people just ignore these days. Its not a completely shocking thing like it used to be.
Annie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:56 AM #32
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

I agree Annie.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:05 AM #33

Quote:
Originally posted by Lauren

Just testing.
MR.K! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:17 AM #34
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Originally posted by Annie
I actually swear a lot in real life and dont take it offensively at all, although people may not like to accept this, I think swearing is something that people just ignore these days. Its not a completely shocking thing like it used to be.
Yeah I hate how people assume you are a lesser individual or you are abusing the English language just because you swear. I love swearing. Absoloutely love it.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:19 AM #35

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu
Quote:
Originally posted by Annie
Yeah I hate how people assume you are a lesser individual or you are abusing the English language just because you swear. I love swearing. Absoloutely love it.
i am the same although i dont swear half as much these days cos i have a impressionable 4 yr old who given half the chance would go round copying things but when i dont have with me its a different matter
pinkmichk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:04 AM #36
can't nobody hold us down

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Joe McElderry

can't nobody hold us down

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Joe McElderry

I didn't even realise that worked LOL
MarkWaldorf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:27 PM #37
Z

Z

Why do people feel the need to swear on the forum? It's entirely possible to convey your point without swearing; why are people trying to get rid of the swearing filter? It'd be annoying if you were trying to say something like "assassinate" and 'ass' was blocked, therefore you've got ******inate and it makes no sense to anyone else, but the filter's there to just block outright swearing. What advantage is there to swearing? The forum's meant for 13 year olds and up, not all people of the minimum age are going to know what swear words are or which words count as swear words, and to gain that kind of knowledge over an Internet forum isn't the best way to learn.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:38 PM #38
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Originally posted by Zee
Why do people feel the need to swear on the forum? It's entirely possible to convey your point without swearing; why are people trying to get rid of the swearing filter? It'd be annoying if you were trying to say something like "assassinate" and 'ass' was blocked, therefore you've got ******inate and it makes no sense to anyone else, but the filter's there to just block outright swearing. What advantage is there to swearing? The forum's meant for 13 year olds and up, not all people of the minimum age are going to know what swear words are or which words count as swear words, and to gain that kind of knowledge over an Internet forum isn't the best way to learn.
But they show up anyway, when we say "****" rather than ****. So they're going to see them regardless.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:42 PM #39
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Originally posted by Zee
Why do people feel the need to swear on a forum? Because they swear in real life quiet a bit, and it pours out into keyboard speak naturaly as a result. By the same token, why do people feel the need to complain about it?

If people thirteen years and up cant handle a bit of swearing, they dont belong on the internet full stop. Why dont we ever cater for the majority on this forum and not censor everyone in the emergency event that a five year old gains access to the forum and asks his mommy what various curse words mean?
Old 04-06-2009, 12:46 PM #40
BURLESQUE

Favourites:

BURLESQUE

Favourites:

I only ever really see lili and MichaelSpears do it.
MrGaryy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:48 PM #41
Z

Z

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Zee
But they show up anyway, when we say "****" rather than ****. So they're going to see them regardless.
Yeah but that's my point; why do people feel the need to cheat the system? I swear in real life too, but I rarely use swear words on TiBB, and when I do I tend to forget that the filter is there; it doesn't bother me that the word is filtered out, people still get the point that I've sworn.

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu
Why do people feel the need to swear on a forum? Because they swear in real life quiet a bit, and it pours out into keyboard speak naturaly as a result. By the same token, why do people feel the need to complain about it?

If people thirteen years and up cant handle a bit of swearing, they dont belong on the internet full stop. Why dont we ever cater for the majority on this forum and not censor everyone in the emergency event that a five year old gains access to the forum and asks his mommy what various curse words mean?
Yeah but I've trained myself to just not use swear words when I post on here, it's like (oh dear) when people use the word "like" as filler when they're speaking; they don't use it as much/at all when they're posting on the Internet because it adds nothing to conversation. Some thirteen year olds aren't going to be up to speed on swearing when they join an Internet forum, when you hear words in real life and you don't know what they mean, you'll ask the person who used it to explain what it means. A thirteen year old who doesn't know what swearing is (without sounding patronising; this is just a hypothetical thirteen year old) is going to face ridicule if they ask what certain words are over the Internet.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:52 PM #42
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Originally posted by Zee

Yeah but that's my point; why do people feel the need to cheat the system? I swear in real life too, but I rarely use swear words on TiBB, and when I do I tend to forget that the filter is there; it doesn't bother me that the word is filtered out, people still get the point that I've sworn.
No it's not cheating the system, it happens automatically unless the word is by itself. Sometimes i'll be typing a sentence and it'll just so happen that the swear word has punctuation by it, like if I say ****-wit or something. I've seen it happen loads of times by accident, and if I've seen it, then 13 year olds have seen it.

Tbh, they're on an internet forum, they've seen worse things, and they've seen swearing before.
If there is to be a swear word filter, then surely its to avoid people seeing swear words - and it doesn't? So what's the point in it.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:52 PM #43
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

I think you are really pushing your argument into the realm of hillarity with this hypothetical thirteen year old, to be honest. And even if they dont know swearing, their is always google...

...besides which, why do some of us have to suffer because one hypothetical thirteen year old who is probably never going to realisticaly exist on this forum question a swear word?

The last thing this forum needs is more would be mods playing mother goose. And like Lauren said, words show up anyway. And like I said, the made up speech on this forum is far more annoying than any curse word my brain could muster.

Argue all you want, but I am not quiet sure what you are trying to protect people from. Theirs no point even debating it, because nobody is getting offended. Only incredibly bored people who are going to pretend to be outraged and fight for justice. And if a thirteen year old DOES decide to sue the forum, I will eat my hat.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:53 PM #44
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
UBB: Brian
BB11: Josie
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

"****"...heheh love it!
NettoSuperstar! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:00 PM #45
Z

Z

And I don't really understand what you're trying to achieve by wanting rid of the swearing filter. It's there to filter swear words; clearly it is, in the eyes of the admins, a negative thing to have swear words showing up on the forum. It's not necessary to use swear words when you're posting, you can find alternative words in place of swear words, and in any case, people have found ways around the system, which by the looks of things will just end up in an unnecessary ban if persisted with. Lauren, people who are using the italics tags to use swear words are cheating the system, the thing you described isn't, because it's unintentional, but the use of italics is cheating the filter, and in my view it's unnecessary.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:01 PM #46
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):

Im a cheating "****" lol
NettoSuperstar! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:01 PM #47
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Originally posted by Zee
And I don't really understand what you're trying to achieve by wanting rid of the swearing filter. It's there to filter swear words; clearly it is, in the eyes of the admins, a negative thing to have swear words showing up on the forum. It's not necessary to use swear words when you're posting, you can find alternative words in place of swear words, and in any case, people have found ways around the system, which by the looks of things will just end up in an unnecessary ban if persisted with. Lauren, people who are using the italics tags to use swear words are cheating the system, the thing you described isn't, because it's unintentional, but the use of italics is cheating the filter, and in my view it's unnecessary.
I know, but my point is - the accidental filter cheat happens all the time, I sometimes do it by accident and have to edit my posts and things, but I still see it around. If I have, then 13 year olds have too.

The whole point of the swear word filter is to filter swear words, and it doesn't?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:04 PM #48
Z

Z

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Zee
I know, but my point is - the accidental filter cheat happens all the time, I sometimes do it by accident and have to edit my posts and things, but I still see it around. If I have, then 13 year olds have too.

The whole point of the swear word filter is to filter swear words, and it doesn't?
Yeah, but I'm more concerned that people are trying to get rid of the filter, not improve the success of it.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:07 PM #49
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Admins have said they can't improve the success of it (It would require them entering in every possible combination manually I think) - so I think it's pointless as it stands, cos it doesn't do it's job.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:11 PM #50
Z

Z

Quote:
Admins have said they can't improve the success of it (It would require them entering in every possible combination manually I think) - so I think it's pointless as it stands, cos it doesn't do it's job.
It's not pointless, it does filter out swear words on their own, but people are going around the system specifically so they can swear, and until somebody can give me an example of why they would validly need to swear, I can't really accept the view that we should just get rid of the swearing filter. It's maybe not possible to block out all swear words, but we, as users, should respect this one rule and just keep the swearing to a minimum. It's not hard to avoid swearing, I find it offensive when people are going out of their way to go round the filter to swear - maybe that makes me boring or whatever, but I don't see the point in it.

The F word would be easiest to block combinations of; anything that goes -f... or f...- (e.g. mindf... or f...wit) would be a universal thing; I don't think there are any words that contain those four letters in that combination bar the swear word?

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
fao, italicising, james, part, swear, words