Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Announcements / Suggestions / Help Announcements from Admin, member suggestions and forum help

Old 04-06-2009, 01:12 PM #51
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Originally posted by Zee
And I don't really understand what you're trying to achieve by wanting rid of the swearing filter. It's there to filter swear words; clearly it is, in the eyes of the admins, a negative thing to have swear words showing up on the forum. It's not necessary to use swear words when you're posting, you can find alternative words in place of swear words, and in any case, people have found ways around the system, which by the looks of things will just end up in an unnecessary ban if persisted with. Lauren, people who are using the italics tags to use swear words are cheating the system, the thing you described isn't, because it's unintentional, but the use of italics is cheating the filter, and in my view it's unnecessary.
What are my trying to achieve? I would like to see a system that can be cheated removed. To be honest, I dont really care either way. My main argument is why people should care anyway. And so far the only argument you have given me is this riddiculous hypothetical thirteen year old. Seems like you are trying to care for the sake of caring.
Stu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:18 PM #52
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu
Quote:
Originally posted by Zee
And I don't really understand what you're trying to achieve by wanting rid of the swearing filter. It's there to filter swear words; clearly it is, in the eyes of the admins, a negative thing to have swear words showing up on the forum. It's not necessary to use swear words when you're posting, you can find alternative words in place of swear words, and in any case, people have found ways around the system, which by the looks of things will just end up in an unnecessary ban if persisted with. Lauren, people who are using the italics tags to use swear words are cheating the system, the thing you described isn't, because it's unintentional, but the use of italics is cheating the filter, and in my view it's unnecessary.
What are my trying to achieve? I would like to see a system that can be cheated removed. To be honest, I dont really care either way. My main argument is why people should care anyway. And so far the only argument you have given me is this riddiculous hypothetical thirteen year old. Seems like you are trying to care for the sake of caring.
I agree with the point you made that people swear in real life conversations and it would be a case of "holier than thou" if someone tried to lecture you on that; but people also use the word "like" in real life conversations. Neither of them serve any purpose in conveying your point in a conversation, e.g. "And I said that you're like such a f'ing moron"; remove 'like' and 'f'ing' and it still has the same meaning. I care because it irritates me when people are swearing for the sake of swearing, maybe that's just because of the way I've been brought up, but it just looks really cheeky when you're (not you specifically) using italics or speech marks just to use a swear word.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:21 PM #53
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Originally posted by Zee
Quote:
Originally posted by Stu
Quote:
Originally posted by Zee
I agree with the point you made that people swear in real life conversations and it would be a case of "holier than thou" if someone tried to lecture you on that; but people also use the word "like" in real life conversations. Neither of them serve any purpose in conveying your point in a conversation, e.g. "And I said that you're like such a f'ing moron"; remove 'like' and 'f'ing' and it still has the same meaning. I care because it irritates me when people are swearing for the sake of swearing, maybe that's just because of the way I've been brought up, but it just looks really cheeky when you're (not you specifically) using italics or speech marks just to use a swear word.
Their is a big difference. 'Like' fits in with tone of voice, rate of speech, and dialect. All of which are pronounced in every day life. But not on the internet. Curse words on the other hand are full, bona-fide words. Sure, your right, it is not a nessecity to use them, but by the same token, is it a nessecity for you to care? Just let people use them if they want to. You cant really bring up the whole 'it's pointless' argument when you yourself are spending precious minuets of your day trying to vent against people using words.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:28 PM #54
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu
Quote:
Originally posted by Zee
Quote:
Originally posted by Stu
Quote:
Originally posted by Zee
Their is a big difference. 'Like' fits in with tone of voice, rate of speech, and dialect. All of which are pronounced in every day life. But not on the internet. Curse words on the other hand are full, bona-fide words. Sure, your right, it is not a nessecity to use them, but by the same token, is it a nessecity for you to care? Just let people use them if they want to. You cant really bring up the whole 'it's pointless' argument when you yourself are spending precious minuets of your day trying to vent against people using words.
Is it necessary for anyone to care about anything? No; but I do care, and if I was the only one who did, the filter wouldn't exist in the first place. I'm on exam leave with no exams left, I can afford to spend all day arguing this point . As I said, I'm just unable to accept that being able to freely swear on the forum has any benefit until somebody can present to me an example of where using a swear word is necessary.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:32 PM #55
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Originally posted by Zee
Is it necessary for anyone to care about anything? No; but I do care, and if I was the only one who did, the filter wouldn't exist in the first place. I'm on exam leave with no exams left, I can afford to spend all day arguing this point . As I said, I'm just unable to accept that being able to freely swear on the forum has any benefit until somebody can present to me an example of where using a swear word is necessary.
Because they WANT to swear. Is being on this forum necessary? No. But we WANT to be on it!
Old 04-06-2009, 04:34 PM #56
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

Because I like to effing swear. Fact.

Because when I get annoyed I convey my annoyance by swearing. Fact.

Because sometimes Shaun is so effing funny, I have to PMSFL and not just PMSL! Fact.
lily. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:35 PM #57
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Pissing, fucking & laughing all at the same time?

Typical Scot.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:39 PM #58
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

Aye.
lily. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
fao, italicising, james, part, swear, words