Notices

Music This forum is for discussing artists, singles, albums, the charts and anything music-related.

Closed Thread

Old 18-06-2009, 04:19 PM #1

Default Why they shouldn\'t mic Britney

BRITNEY Spears made an embarrassing on-stage gaffe last night when she forgot what city she was performing in.

The 27-year-old singer stunned fans in Manchester by shouting out: "What's up, London?"

The blunder drew boos, jeers and a few laughs from the packed MEN arena.

One fan said: "It was really odd.

"I'm not sure if she noticed as she then continued with the performance."

The concert was the controversial star's only British date outside the capital on her current Circus tour. Once again she mimed all her hits.

Source

I was wondering. How many of you would be happy to pay for concert tickets to go and see somebody mime? I certainly wouldn't.
Old 18-06-2009, 04:20 PM #2
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Hahah, I remember a playful study showing that a lot of American's thought that our whole country was called "London". Obvs not Britney, cos she travels.
Old 18-06-2009, 04:21 PM #3
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Oh and in response to the question - no.

I only like either powerful shows, or small intimate gigs. Preferably the latter. No miming.
Old 18-06-2009, 04:22 PM #4

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Favourites (more):

IMO if she can't perform live then she shouldn't tour at all
Old 18-06-2009, 04:23 PM #5
Team Flack

Team Flack

No I wouldn't be happy. I would rather slighty bad vocals and a live performance than miming.

Take That manage to dance,sing,unicycle(lmao) and put on an amazing show. Oh and play instruments! They even did one song where they put on clown make-up while singing.
Old 18-06-2009, 04:23 PM #6
BURLESQUE

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Olly Murs

BURLESQUE

Favourites:

I'm not sure what to choose. Technically I have, as I bought Britney tickets. However I really see it more as a big rave than a concert as I only got them as I figured it would be a fun night, not because I absolutely love her.

I think I'll go for no way as, if it was an artist I truly loved or was going to because of their music and they mimed I would be pissed off. I have no respect for Britney as a performer these days, its not even fair to say it okay if she mimes cos she puts on a great show - because she doesn't, Her dancing is beyond mediocre, it's the backup dancers that do all the work.
Old 18-06-2009, 04:24 PM #7

I really don't care if she mimes, there's such issues as world hunger and proverty in the world and haters get so hung up on Britney Spears miming her concerts. She's not ripping people off because her fans know EXACTLY what they're going for, a show, a spectacle, if we wanted on-point live vocals we'd go to an intimate gig, which to be honest I would find a bit drab. I would rather go see someone strut their stuff, jump, dance and mime around a stage than watch someone sitting, on a stool, boringly singing their songs. Each to their own though.
Old 18-06-2009, 04:26 PM #8
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Originally posted by DamonJ
there's such issues as world hunger and proverty in the world and haters get so hung up on Britney Spears miming her concerts
Silly point, really.

No-one is allowed to complain about anything, ever. Because there's always worse?
Old 18-06-2009, 04:26 PM #9

Quote:
Originally posted by MrGaryy
I'm not sure what to choose. Technically I have, as I bought Britney tickets. However I really see it more as a big rave than a concert as I only got them as I figured it would be a fun night, not because I absolutely love her.

I think I'll go for no way as, if it was an artist I truly loved or was going to because of their music and they mimed I would be p****d off. I have no respect for Britney as a performer these days, its not even fair to say it okay if she mimes cos she puts on a great show - because she doesn't, Her dancing is beyond mediocre, it's the backup dancers that do all the work.
Wrong, don't judge until you actually attend the tour. She dances her ass off. Honestly, videos on YouTube do her no justice at all.
Old 18-06-2009, 04:27 PM #10

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I really don't care if she mimes, there's such issues as world hunger and proverty in the world and haters get so hung up on Britney Spears miming her concerts. She's not ripping people off because her fans know EXACTLY what they're going for, a show, a spectacle, if we wanted on-point live vocals we'd go to an intimate gig, which to be honest I would find a bit drab. I would rather go see someone strut their stuff, jump, dance and mime around a stage than watch someone sitting, on a stool, boringly singing their songs. Each to their own though.
So do you think its right that its about £50 a ticket to see Britney mime, when other big artists do a live concert for pretty much half of that price?
Old 18-06-2009, 04:27 PM #11
BURLESQUE

Favourites:

BURLESQUE

Favourites:

Quote:
To be totally fair though, it is possible to do both - just look at Beyonce, Christina, GaGa. They all put on big, big shows but manage to sing live and pull it off well. I'm not saying that Britney is capable of this so it's not really fair to expect it of her.
Old 18-06-2009, 04:27 PM #12
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Good to see the Brit fans are still around. The problem is, by stating the show is 'live' she's conning her fans.
Old 18-06-2009, 04:28 PM #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Lauren
Quote:
there's such issues as world hunger and proverty in the world and haters get so hung up on Britney Spears miming her concerts
Silly point, really.

No-one is allowed to complain about anything, ever. Because there's always worse?
I'm not saying that, I'm saying that people make SUCH a big deal out of Britney Spears miming at a concert, and blow it up to be SUCH a problem in the media, when they know EXACTLY that she'll mime anyway. People get SO hung up on it and seem to forget about every other artist who mimes on stage, oh no cause as long as they're slamming Britney Spears it doesn't matter if they're being hypocritical or not.
Old 18-06-2009, 04:29 PM #14
Team Flack

Team Flack

Eh hello Take That dance and sing and put on a huge show all at the same time.

I think if it was anyone but Britney people wouldn't be happy with it. But if the fans are alright with not hearing a live performance then whatever.
Old 18-06-2009, 04:29 PM #15

Favourites:
BB11: Josie

Favourites:
BB11: Josie

lol that would have been funny and Princess I agree,any artist worth any credit should be experienced and skilled in unicycling whilst singing,its just a basic,every fan deserves it.
Old 18-06-2009, 04:30 PM #16

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Quote:
So do you think its right that its about £50 a ticket to see Britney mime, when other big artists do a live concert for pretty much half of that price?
Why should I see a problem with it when myself and the whole of Britney's fan base knows she mimes? It's my prerogative whether I want to go see something like that. I'd rather go see a spicy show which features an artist with stage presence than a dull boring artist attempting to dance whaling their 'meaningful' songs into a microphone.
Old 18-06-2009, 04:31 PM #17
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lauren
Quote:
Silly point, really.

I'm not saying that, I'm saying that people make SUCH a big deal out of Britney Spears miming at a concert, and blow it up to be SUCH a problem in the media, when they know EXACTLY that she'll mime anyway. People get SO hung up on it and seem to forget about every other artist who mimes on stage, oh no cause as long as they're slamming Britney Spears it doesn't matter if they're being hypocritical or not.
Fair enough, but people who aren't "haters" can also discuss it. The question was just asking whether we'd see a band if they weren't live, not specifically asking about Britney, that was just a preface as it's topical.
Old 18-06-2009, 04:32 PM #18
BURLESQUE

Favourites:

BURLESQUE

Favourites:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by MrGaryy

I think I'll go for no way as, if it was an artist I truly loved or was going to because of their music and they mimed I would be p****d off. I have no respect for Britney as a performer these days, its not even fair to say it okay if she mimes cos she puts on a great show - because she doesn't, Her dancing is beyond mediocre, it's the backup dancers that do all the work.
Wrong, don't judge until you actually attend the tour. She dances her ass off. Honestly, videos on YouTube do her no justice at all.
Well that's a fair point I suppose. I can make a full judgement then. From what I've seen though, she does more strutting and hand movements than actual dancing.
Old 18-06-2009, 04:32 PM #19
Team Flack

Team Flack

Quote:
Originally posted by supernoodles!
lol that would have been funny and Princess I agree,any artist worth any credit should be experienced and skilled in unicycling whilst singing,its just a basic,every fan deserves it.
LMAO

They didn't actually sing while unicycling but whatever! I still think putting on make-up while singing WELL was quite good-I could never manage that!
Old 18-06-2009, 04:33 PM #20

nope i wouldnt i would be rather peed off at that robbie at milton keynes performed live through a throat infection that near on had him puking on stage through singing and moving about all over the stage (he didnt) but then its what britney has always been like so her fans know this and happily pay money to see their idol lip syncing her way through it its cos her songs are so edited she wouldnt stand a chance singing live
Old 18-06-2009, 04:36 PM #21

HOWEVER, I do agree that although her confidence has been knocked an awful lot since her breakdown, I do at least think she should have attempted 'Everytime' live, and maybe centered the setlist around more ballads to prove she still has an amazing voice. And it's obvious she has because on For The Record, clips are shown of her in the recording studios and demos leaked in 2007 with no editing whatsoever were amazing. I think all she needs is a kick and she would be excellent live.
Old 18-06-2009, 04:36 PM #22

Quote:

It was a general question. I didn't ask "How many of you would be happy to pay for concert tickets to go and see Britney mime? It was an extension to a story I found amusing.
Old 18-06-2009, 04:37 PM #23
can't nobody hold us down

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Joe McElderry

can't nobody hold us down

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Joe McElderry

Sigh. This question has been answered MANY times on here before.

Britney fans don't care if she mimes, $61,000,000 made in America alone on ONE leg proves this. Britney isn't known for having an 'amazing' voice, she's known for being a popstar i.e has catchy songs, hip dance moves and good looks. I'm not going to a Britney show for Mariah Carey live vocals, I go to see a spectacle and be entertained - that's what she's good at.

Obviously people who don't like Britney or are just against miming would say its wrong, and that's fair enough. But some people don't care.And Gary, don't judge on the YT clips. When I saw her dancing it was crisp, in-time and those videos did it no justice!

Now I'm leaving this thread because I'm expected to be attacked for having this opinion. ttyl.
Old 18-06-2009, 04:37 PM #24
Z

Z

I'd rather hear a singer hitting a couple of bum notes while performing live than hear a flawless rendition of the song at the expense of hearing it live.
Old 18-06-2009, 04:38 PM #25

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Quote:
Why should I see a problem with it when myself and the whole of Britney's fan base knows she mimes? It's my prerogative whether I want to go see something like that. I'd rather go see a spicy show which features an artist with stage presence than a dull boring artist attempting to dance whaling their 'meaningful' songs into a microphone.
But in comparison to other artists who also put on shows and sing live do you think the price is fair when some are cheaper?
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
britney, mic, shouldn't