Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: Afterlife/reincarnation thoughts
I believe in the afterlife but not in reincarnation/life cycles (or vice versa) 6 19.35%
I believe in the afterlife but not in reincarnation/life cycles (or vice versa)
6 19.35%
Fully believe in both 3 9.68%
Fully believe in both
3 9.68%
Y.O.L.O. and that’s that 13 41.94%
Y.O.L.O. and that’s that
13 41.94%
On the fence 6 19.35%
On the fence
6 19.35%
Other 3 9.68%
Other
3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-04-2019, 07:50 AM #51
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
I've written about this before but when my Grandad died he promised if there was anything on the "other side", he would come back and tell me. I spent 6 months ****ting it after he died that he would be sat on my edge of my bed in the middle of the night.....but nothing.

Then when my mum was in the hospice about 24 hours before she died, the weirdest thing happened. She had been completely unresponsive for 2 days, breathing but no reaction to anything around her. She hadn't been with it for around a week but for 2 days there was nothing. However, she opened her eyes, looked into the corner.of the room, smiled and put her arms up as if she was hugging someone, she didn't look at any of us and as soon as her arms.met she was out of it again. One of the hospice nurses said similar things happen quite often with people near death and some say it's when previously passed loved ones come to "get" their spirits / souls, whatever.

Now I know.its probably some brain activity triggered by approaching death but I would love to think it was her dad coming to greet her. She died about 24 hours after that happened. My heart says there's something after, my head says there isn't.

TLDR : I'm on the fence
Fascinating read that.

So many things even from my teens I've come across has convinced me of more after human physical death.

I agree with the conflicts of mind and heart too.

However, already in my life,.I find my best decisions and how I approach issues, are the ones from my heart.

The mind is too practical and clinical mostly and often when I let my mind rule my heart.
They are my less good choices.

Great read AnnieK, thanks for posting it.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 08:31 AM #52
Right Flower

Right Flower

lets just deal with some science and facts that we all live our lives by and run the universe we live in

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 08:32 AM #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
lets just deal with some science and facts that we all live our lives by and run the universe we live in

Let’s have a bit of respect for people’s opinions going forward.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 08:37 AM #54
Right Flower

Right Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
Let’s have a bit of respect for people’s opinions going forward.
people can believe any stuff they want but there already is a scientific answer and its one that the laws of science that run the universe are based on

now you can either accept them or think that they are all wrong and that some anecdote is right - entirely your choice of course
Old 22-04-2019, 09:04 AM #55

Quote:
people can believe any stuff they want but there already is a scientific answer and its one that the laws of science that run the universe are based on

now you can either accept them or think that they are all wrong and that some anecdote is right - entirely your choice of course
What rigid dogmatists fail to understand is that nothing’s proven for an absolute fact. Nothing.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.
Old 22-04-2019, 09:21 AM #56
Right Flower

Right Flower

Quote:
What rigid dogmatists fail to understand is that nothing’s proven for an absolute fact. Nothing.
so we can wexect to see you jump out an airplane with no parachute?

refute that pesky gravity and biology and physics
Old 22-04-2019, 09:27 AM #57

Okay.

Old 22-04-2019, 09:32 AM #58
Right Flower

Right Flower

Old 22-04-2019, 09:34 AM #59

We don’t have the same background or experiences re. spirituality and it shows.

Old 22-04-2019, 02:14 PM #60
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Like I said earlier, just weeks after my husband died I was on a thread like this with people telling me to accept that when people die they just rot in the ground, with no thought to what those left behind go through. I mean, if that's what you believe, fine. But I'm so tired of people stating stuff as fact because a scientist said it. No one knows for sure, none of us will have a clue what happens until we shuffle off this mortal.... and that is the truth.

Last edited by Livia; 22-04-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 02:24 PM #61
Right Flower

Right Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Like I said earlier, just weeks after my husband died I was on a thread like this with people telling me to accept that when people die they just rot in the ground, with no thought to what those left behind go through. I mean, if that's what you believe, fine. But I'm so tired of people stating stuff as fact because a scientist said it. No one knows for sure, none of us will have a clue what happens until we shuffle off this mortal.... and that is the truth.
Id rather listen to hundreds of years of peer reviewed scientific reasearch, research that has doubled life expentancy in the last 100 years and got us to the moon, than some book written 5000 years ago or an anecdote.

when people go into hospital they rely on science and human knowledge they dont get cured by bibles or praying, or a wise anecdote
Old 22-04-2019, 02:27 PM #62
-

-

Quote:
There is no such thing as absolute fact, that much is true, the entire universe could (quite easily) be a dream or illusion.

However,

There being nonsuch thing as absolute certainty does not mean that all possibilities are assigned an equal share of probability. Which is something that I personally find a lot of specifically religious people (rather than openly spiritual people) fail to understand.

So whilst Christian heaven, reincarnation, or the idea that we all spring violently into another dimension via LT's butt hole are all theoretically possible, that doesn't make them probable, and in my opinion, any organised religious concept of afterlife is accurate is so highly improbable that it becomes functionally false.

The only viable (probable) answers are 1) there's simply nothing, or 2) it's something no one has thought of yet and that is likely beyond current human understanding completely.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 02:31 PM #63
-

-

Quote:
Livia if someone came onto an unrelated thread and said those things to someone who had experienced recent loss, or worse came onto a thread about that loss to say things like "I don't think there's an afterlife sorry" then that would be reprehensible and awful. But... If it's a thread that's specifically about people's opinions on the afterlife (or lack of) then I don't think people can really be expected to share anything other than their genuine opinion on that topic; and it's inevitable that people will not always be in the place to be involved in or read that sort of discussion and should just avoid.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 22-04-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 22-04-2019, 02:33 PM #64
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Where do ghosts fit into all this?

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 02:36 PM #65
Right Flower

Right Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
ever seen a black one, or one dressed in a hoody and Nike?
Old 22-04-2019, 02:37 PM #66
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Some would say "the spirits of the dead lingering", others might argue that they're echoes in time, like memories stuck on a loop. Interestingly, you don't have to believe in anything supernatural or religious to believe in the second type of "ghost", you only have to understand that "time" is more complicated than it seems...
Old 22-04-2019, 02:43 PM #67
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Livia if someone came onto an unrelated thread and said those things to someone who had experienced recent loss, or worse came onto a thread about that loss to say things like "I don't think there's an afterlife sorry" then that would be reprehensible and awful. But... If it's a thread that's specifically about people's opinions on the afterlife (or lack of) then I don't think people can really be expected to share anything other than their genuine opinion on that topic; and it's inevitable that people will not always be in the place to be involved in or read that sort of discussion and should just avoid.
You weren't here at the time so I have no real interest in you explaining to me why I was wrong.
Old 22-04-2019, 02:48 PM #68
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Id rather listen to hundreds of years of peer reviewed scientific reasearch, research that has doubled life expentancy in the last 100 years and got us to the moon, than some book written 5000 years ago or an anecdote.

when people go into hospital they rely on science and human knowledge they dont get cured by bibles or praying, or a wise anecdote
It was sixty years between learning to fly and landing on the moon.... we have truly been here for an insignificant moment in the scheme of things. we know **** all, Trumpet. And after all those triumphs you've stated, what have we done to the planet in the course of it? Oh yeah, we're all really clever us humans.

And you know, I don't think I mentioned religion. We were talking about what happens when you die. And like I said... no one really knows. And beating people down with what is essentially your own unfounded opinion doesn't make you any more right.

Last edited by Livia; 22-04-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 22-04-2019, 02:50 PM #69
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:

Absolutely right and very well said.

I don't think actually either that all Scientists would discount the possibility of something after death.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 02:54 PM #70
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
Absolutely right and very well said.

I don't think actually either that all Scientists would discount the possibility of something after death.
I always talk about my cousin who is a physicist and a devout Jew. There are plenty of religious scientists... even thought I've had a few discussions on here with people who refuse to believe a devoutly religious person could also be a successful scientist. I don't understand why a person's personal view has to be knocked if it's different from someone else's. We might all be right! Or we might all be wrong... there's only one way to find out and I don't think any of us are ready to find out for sure.
Old 22-04-2019, 02:59 PM #71
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

i was asked the question if I believed in the afterlife just after a close relative died. I don't think it is something that one can answer because it means so many things both spiritual and scientific. You are formed from your biological parents, so children by definition are a form of afterlife. Ask someone else and they could easily take another definition.

For those that are a bit older, how many times have people thought, what would my old Dad have thought of that, or acted in a particular circumstance. That is also a form of afterlife. A spiritual definition doesn't have to be the only viable option.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 03:01 PM #72
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Agree with all that Bots. It's a massive question, isn't it.
Old 22-04-2019, 03:40 PM #73

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
Love Island 5: Amber

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
Love Island 5: Amber

Nobody knows what happens for sure, but why put your eggs in the basket of a 5000 year old book that has been proven to be scientifically inaccurate?
Elliot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 04:14 PM #74

Quote:

Having scientific views is one thing but rudely telling someone who’s lost a spouse that she’ll never see him again just because you’re a conc. rationalist is low. That’s all I meant when I excluded hardline rationalists from this thread initially but that didn’t go down well with swathes of this forum.

Old 22-04-2019, 04:21 PM #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
There is no such thing as absolute fact, that much is true, the entire universe could (quite easily) be a dream or illusion.

However,

There being nonsuch thing as absolute certainty does not mean that all possibilities are assigned an equal share of probability. Which is something that I personally find a lot of specifically religious people (rather than openly spiritual people) fail to understand.

So whilst Christian heaven, reincarnation, or the idea that we all spring violently into another dimension via LT's butt hole are all theoretically possible, that doesn't make them probable, and in my opinion, any organised religious concept of afterlife is accurate is so highly improbable that it becomes functionally false.

The only viable (probable) answers are 1) there's simply nothing, or 2) it's something no one has thought of yet and that is likely beyond current human understanding completely.
Like I say we’re not all empiricists. Personal experience in the spiritual realm isn’t something you can shake no matter how much you try. Some people live outside of academia and feel things in a deeper realm.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
afterlife, rigid dogmatists excluded