Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB 1 - 5 Celebrity Big Brother series 1 to 5 from 2001-2008.

Old 16-01-2007, 04:55 PM #26

i do think that danielle, jack, jade, jo have taken it too far and are being mean to shilpa but if they were doing it to somebody from a different part of england what would people call it then? racism in your own country riiight
i agree with james about it was unpleasant for jackie to keep calling shilpa "that indian" because to me that came across racist
the others have said oh i dont like shilpa because shes indian or said anything about her colour and about the accents: her and everyone with the whale thing and dirk cant understand jo and jade sometimes does that make him racist too
so basically in all summary i do think jade, jack, jo and danielle are being mean to shilpa BUT i think the whole racism thing has been blown out of porportion eg. sky news
stacey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 05:02 PM #27

Quote:
Originally posted by James
Jackiey's constant 'Indian' digs at Shilpa were very unpleasant, and that set the tone, but she's gone now.

I think for the Jade gang the main reason they targeted Shilpa for their bullying was because of their cultural ignorance rather than it being a racial matter.

Put it this way, if there had been instead, say, a French housemate they would have reacted in a similar manner as they do with Shilpa.

But if there was a British Asian girl (similar in age and upbringing to them) in the house I think Jade and co would have accepted her presence. So I think their problems are to do with ignorance of other cultures rather than racial predjudice.

What do you think?
I agree. It's purely about cultural differences.
AndyJK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 05:03 PM #28

Quote:
Jackiey's constant 'Indian' digs at Shilpa were very unpleasant, and that set the tone, but she's gone now.

I think for the Jade gang the main reason they targeted Shilpa for their bullying was because of their cultural ignorance rather than it being a racial matter.

Put it this way, if there had been instead, say, a French housemate they would have reacted in a similar manner as they do with Shilpa.

But if there was a British Asian girl (similar in age and upbringing to them) in the house I think Jade and co would have accepted her presence. So I think their problems are to do with ignorance of other cultures rather than racial predjudice.

What do you think?
Yes, I think that's true. I don't think it's about skin colour, or the fact that she is from India (although it could have been in Jackiey's case). They're just too ignorant to even try and understand any culture other than their own.
Ruth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 05:04 PM #29

Ignorance dosent make it acceptable tho
Psylocke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 05:07 PM #30

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyJK
Quote:
Originally posted by psylocke
Quote:
Originally posted by ttw
Quote:
Mocking somones accent in a nasty way is racism in my book.
You therefore cannot deny that Shilpa is racist as she too has mocked Jade's , Jackiey's , Jo's and Danielle's accent.

She also burst out laughing at Jade's pronounciation of the word "whale"

READ what i said,i said IN A NASTY WAY.
So Shilpa is racist for mocking Jade's accent then. Yes?
Can we assume from Psylocke's unwillingness to answer this question that, by his logic, shilpa is a racist?

Quote:
Originally posted by x-stacey-x
i do think that danielle, jack, jade, jo have taken it too far and are being mean to shilpa but if they were doing it to somebody from a different part of england what would people call it then? racism in your own country riiight
i agree with james about it was unpleasant for jackie to keep calling shilpa "that indian" because to me that came across racist
the others have said oh i dont like shilpa because shes indian or said anything about her colour and about the accents: her and everyone with the whale thing and dirk cant understand jo and jade sometimes does that make him racist too
so basically in all summary i do think jade, jack, jo and danielle are being mean to shilpa BUT i think the whole racism thing has been blown out of porportion eg. sky news
Yep, it has been completely blown of proportion. Also the accused i.e. Jade and co are unable to respond to the accusations so all we are doing is speculating.

What can not be denied is that Shilpa is being bullied.
Old 16-01-2007, 05:10 PM #31

I personally don't think it's racism really, and have never said it was. IMO the people picking on Shilpa just don't understand her, her culture or the way she's been brought up. But the fact is they don't even seem to WANT to understand, or know - so they're ignorant and pick on her instead. The fact that Shilpa's Indian is just an additional factor so they can do things like make fun of her accent as well (which of course I'm not condoning, since it's so ignorant and childish). Frankly, the closed-minded people (well, some of them anyway) simply have weak and bitchy personalities, and don't know how to deal with Shilpa's respectable personality.
Bells is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 05:10 PM #32

i think there is a kind of "it aint half hot mum" racism going on in the house and that show and its ilk got left behind in the early 80's because its nasty and does cause offence.
easypeasy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 05:12 PM #33
Banned

Banned

Suggesting an Desi Asian girl bleaches her face because she wants to be white, is racist.
The_Hitman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 05:19 PM #34

Quote:
Sorry but I think these calls of racism against Shilpa is a load of a ********.

As much as I loathe Jade, Jack and Danielle, I don't think even they would stupid enough to be overtly racist in front of cameras and millions of people. We've already had people misread a bleeped four letter word as '****' which was never said but has already been taken as fact and discussed at length by viewers.

From what I've read on this board (bearing in mind I haven't seen the programme since last week) it does appear that poor Shilpa is being bullied by a nasty bunch of girls, but I don't think its because she is Indian. There is no way C4 would tolerate it and allow it to be televised if that was the case.

As for this mocking of Shilpa's accent and calling it racist, please, don't be so small-minded will you. Is doing a funny French or American accent racist too then? Would I be racist for mocking a Geordie or Brum accent? My boss at work is from Cheshire and I'm forever mocking the way he speaks! He doesnt call me racist. You people are being really silly over this. No wonder we Brits have lost our sense of humour because we've so worried about being accused of racism over the smallest of things.

Yet again you've all shown yourselves as being typical tabloid armchair judge and jury, spewing out accusations and devaluing the word 'racism'.
I totally agree, as far as i see it they are just a bunch of girls bitching and being nasty! If Shilpa was, English, Irish, Scottish, or even an Eskimo!! would they have still treated her in the same way...? Yes, i think they probably would! so her nationality is not the issue and niether is racism!

Personalities clash, both in the house and out, it's life...get over it people!
rooterwar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 05:35 PM #35

I don't agree with the 'it's just a bunch of schoolgirls' thing that has been mentioned (not necessarily here, but elsewhere) as an excuse for the bullying.

I think what has been going on is much more serious and nasty than that line implies really.

I read somewhere that bullying was on the increase amongst girls and it was being blamed on there being bitchy female characters in soaps, and no doubt reality shows have an effect also.

Bullying in schools and workplaces can literally ruin lives so it should be made clear that it is never acceptable.

Quote:
I wasn't excusing them because they are ignorant - far from it. Indian culture is also foreign to Dirk and Jermaine also and they get on fine with Shilpa.

It just shows the Jade gang's nastiness that they will use these cultural differences to seperate themselves from her.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 06:11 PM #36
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Didn't Jack Tweed call her a *********g p*ki. Channel four will not confirm or deny it as the actual word was bleeped out.

Those girls are going to be so embarrased when they come out. they don't seem to believe they're doing anything wrong. Danielle clearly has gone in there to boost her carrer but I think she'll be untouchable if she continues in this vain.

They continually mock her accent, they question whether chickens are cooked differently in India, they question whether this is why Indian people are so skinny, they ask if people in India eat with their hands and Danielle states that she doesn't know where Shilpa's hands have been. It's all starting to add up.

Are they racist? I am British and of Jamaican descent and I'm not going to be drawn on that question. However, I will say that there is some extreme ignorance in that house.

I am a huge die hard big brother fan but I have said for a number of years that they need to get more educated and less stupid people in the house as the kind of ignorance that Jade and Danielle are exhibiting should not be given a platform no matter how entertaining it can be.

The worst thing that Shilpa could do is walk but I see from the bookies she is second favourite to walk. She's got to tough it out so that she can hold walk out of there with her head held high. After all what has she done to them apart from be polite, friendly and charming. It's a disgrace.
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 06:17 PM #37

Quote:
Originally posted by GRiT
Didn't Jack Tweed call her a *********g p*ki. Channel four will not confirm or deny it as the actual word was bleeped out.
I believe that Channel 4 have now said it was the 'c word'. Still a pretty nasty thing for a man to say about a woman, but not the same as what was alleged.
Old 16-01-2007, 06:18 PM #38

Quote:
I don't agree with the 'it's just a bunch of schoolgirls' thing that has been mentioned (not necessarily here, but elsewhere) as an excuse for the bullying.

I think what has been going on is much more serious and nasty than that line implies really.

I read somewhere that bullying was on the increase amongst girls and it was being blamed on there being bitchy female characters in soaps, and no doubt reality shows have an effect also.

Bullying in schools and workplaces can literally ruin lives so it should be made clear that it is never acceptable.

Quote:
I wasn't excusing them because they are ignorant - far from it. Indian culture is also foreign to Dirk and Jermaine also and they get on fine with Shilpa.

It just shows the Jade gang's nastiness that they will use these cultural differences to seperate themselves from her.
I think it would be much more productive if people discussed the bullying rather suggesting its racism because there is clear evidence of bullying.

What I find strange is that when Jade asked BB a question about eskimoes and saying something stupid that they turn into ice men, apprently people thought it was all funny. Could that not have been racism too, or was it more likely down to Jade's ignorance of these people's culture? To me its the latter. And that's why Jade and the others are laughing at Shilpa's cultural habits.

Could English people who laugh at Scots wearing kilts racist too?
Old 16-01-2007, 06:20 PM #39

Quote:
i completley agree with you.
xcharleyx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 06:28 PM #40

Quote:
What I find strange is that when Jade asked BB a question about eskimoes and saying something stupid that they turn into ice men, apprently people thought it was all funny. Could that not have been racism too, or was it more likely down to Jade's ignorance of these people's culture? To me its the latter. And that's why Jade and the others are laughing at Shilpa's cultural habits.

There's no Eskimoes (or Inuit people to give the politically correct term ) in the Big Brother house though.

The English and the Scots are nationalities not races so that can't be racism.

Of course, you can say the same about India and England (there countries, not races) so maybe a more accurate description of what has been going on is xenophobia not racism.
Old 16-01-2007, 06:58 PM #41

Quote:

I totally agree with you there. Plus all the remarks about 'Dontknow where her hands been' etc etc. Danielle has bad bad poison mouth - she is pure nasty -wonder where her hands been ?? Holding her Teddy? She really looks ugly when she sniggers - her boyfriend must be so proud of his classy girlfriend. She is a real low-life inspite of all the designer gear she wears. I have never seen anyone so ugly before - besides Jade and Jack of course.
Asiana is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 07:04 PM #42

Quote:
Quote:

There's no Eskimoes (or Inuit people to give the politically correct term ) in the Big Brother house though.

The English and the Scots are nationalities not races so that can't be racism.

Of course, you can say the same about India and England (there countries, not races) so maybe a more accurate description of what has been going on is xenophobia not racism.
Race is defined by people who are united by common history, language, cultural traits. For example, I am part of the English race because my parents and Granparents are English and I can trace my heritage back centuries in England.

Nationality defines more where one is born or lives. For example, people born to English parents in England who later emigrate and live in Australia would change their nationality to Australian and get an Australia passport but their race would be English.

But you're right about the inuits who I think see the term Eskimoes as derogatory
Old 16-01-2007, 07:08 PM #43

Quote:
Originally posted by ttw

She also burst out laughing at Jade's pronounciation of the word "whale"
It was one word. She didn't understand it and made the comparision of how she says it and how she heard it when Jade and Jo said. She did it in front of them and not like the bitcher group who do it behind her back, because they know its a wrong thing to do and dare not do it in front of her

The girls don't mock words of Shilpa, they mock the entire package that is Shilpa
S2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 07:12 PM #44

But Jo has 'mocked Shilpa's accent before in front of her, hasn't she? Or was I imagining that? lol
lilmissnaughty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
claims, racism