Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: Should the Brexit vote be respected?
Yes, elections and referendums should have consequences 12 66.67%
Yes, elections and referendums should have consequences
12 66.67%
No, the referendum was not binding and the UK is better off in the EU 6 33.33%
No, the referendum was not binding and the UK is better off in the EU
6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-09-2016, 02:49 AM #1
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
CBB9: Karissa & Kristina Shannon
BB13 USA: Rachel
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
CBB9: Karissa & Kristina Shannon
BB13 USA: Rachel
Default Should the Brexit vote outcome be respected? (Even if you voted against it)

I know most people on here were for Remain but, your personal views aside, do you think the outcome of the vote should be respected? Or are you okay with the government ignoring the will of the majority? Would you want the UK to remain in the EU even if it meant ignoring democracy?

Last edited by Liberty4eva; 21-09-2016 at 02:54 AM.
Liberty4eva is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 02:51 AM #2
No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Amanda Barrie

No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Amanda Barrie

It probably should be but at the same time it's quite clear the government have absolutely no idea how to actually make any of it happen or how to make a success of it. I think it really needs to be considered that at least half of the exiters voted for quite the wrong reason.
Old 21-09-2016, 04:35 AM #3
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..of course it should be respected but I still don't see it as a good outcome, though...(and it would be the same if it had slightly favoured Remain also..)..just because it's been a fairly split vote..so really a dividing vote, which could never be good for a country, surely..it's more now..(and this is the unknown for the moment/unknown is always a little scary..)...how other countries will view us in terms of trade etc and just generally...will us being seen as a divided country cause a reluctance to trade with us..?../I honestly don't know...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 06:13 AM #4

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Tia Kofi
Strictly 2020: Ranvir Singh

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Tia Kofi
Strictly 2020: Ranvir Singh

No it shouldn't be respected as the Brexit campaign was built on false hope and lies
Where's the promised Ł350m to the NHS every week or month of whatever it was

There needs to be another vote where both sides are honest because so many were manipulated into thinking Leave was better when it's all just lies
Old 21-09-2016, 07:28 AM #5
-

-

There are two answers to this really. If it is a process that is feasible without utterly destroying the country then yes it should be respected and we should move forward with that.

If however it turns out to be the case that it is practically impossible to make it happen, or impossible without knowingly destroying the country, then theres no "honour" in simply forging forward "because democracy". To be clear, I don't mean it being up for debate and some people thinking it will be bad, but rather it becoming straight up fact upon examination that untangling from the EU is all but impossible without creating a failed state.

In that case I would 100% blame the government of the time for offering a vote on something when they didn't even know if it would be possible to realistically make it happen.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 07:44 AM #6
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

of course it should be respected. To not respect it would fail democracy. So we exit and all is not perfect, so what. Was life perfect in the EU? No, it wasn't, life isn't perfect. We deal with situations as they arise, we react to events around us, and we will be able to do that much more effectively on our own than in the EU. So the result didn't go the way many wanted it to, again, so what. Life isn't going to change in a generation at least. We may see some fluctuation in prices, but again ... is that the be all and end all of life? People live with their families in their communities, and it has feck all to do with being in the EU or not.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 07:50 AM #7
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
of course it should be respected. To not respect it would fail democracy. So we exit and all is not perfect, so what. Was life perfect in the EU? No, it wasn't, life isn't perfect. We deal with situations as they arise, we react to events around us, and we will be able to do that much more effectively on our own than in the EU. So the result didn't go the way many wanted it to, again, so what. Life isn't going to change in a generation at least. We may see some fluctuation in prices, but again ... is that the be all and end all of life? People live with their families in their communities, and it has feck all to do with being in the EU or not.
....hmm, I don't know...for some it might be.../many families can't sustain a recession is a thing as well...
Old 21-09-2016, 07:59 AM #8

Yes it must be respected
it was a rare event in the UK
more came out to vote on it.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 08:03 AM #9
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
....hmm, I don't know...for some it might be.../many families can't sustain a recession is a thing as well...
Well, if you compare that to what the Russian people had to deal with in our recent history, where all government effectively broke down. Where shops literally had no food in them. Where people actually had to go to the zoo and kill animals for food to survive. We are never going to have life that hard. Many here have no real concept of what hardship is on the mass scale that other countries have had to endure. That's not to play down the extreme hardship of some, but just some realistic comparison. People are resilient, they can overcome almost any challenge put in front of them. I was a remain voter, and proud of it, but I accept democracy, and look forward to the challenges that life brings. We shape our own futures in the circumstances we find ourselves in. That's life!

Last edited by bitontheslide; 21-09-2016 at 08:03 AM.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 08:05 AM #10
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 08:06 AM #11
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Well, if you compare that to what the Russian people had to deal with in our recent history, where all government effectively broke down. Where shops literally had no food in them. Where people actually had to go to the zoo and kill animals for food to survive. We are never going to have life that hard. Many here have no real concept of what hardship is on the mass scale that other countries have had to endure. That's not to play down the extreme hardship of some, but just some realistic comparison. People are resilient, they can overcome almost any challenge put in front of them. I was a remain voter, and proud of it, but I accept democracy, and look forward to the challenges that life brings. We shape our own futures in the circumstances we find ourselves in. That's life!
Again I agree
Old 21-09-2016, 08:08 AM #12
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

The only other thing I would add is given we don't know the "terms" of the exit, if they are extremely different to what people thought they were voting for then maybe there should be another vote?
Old 21-09-2016, 08:14 AM #13
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy

Cant get over the remain campaign and thier lack of respect for democracy, no wonder they want to be a part of the quasi dictatorship that is the EU. Disgusting people.

Last edited by UserSince2005; 21-09-2016 at 08:15 AM.
UserSince2005 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 08:14 AM #14
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
..it never really lessens any anxieties/any fears/stresses and worries etc to be aware that others are worse off../it just doesn't work that way...our own realities are our own realities and some are very, very scary and hard to struggle through with and so are as huge as any other..there is no 'rating' these things for those living them and no comparison....it will be harder for some than others is the fact and the truth, I think and not all will survive sadly, for different reasons ..and that's life but hard to think that it could have been a different outcome and not an inevitable thing....anyways it is what it is and I should never get into serious threads, when I'm just going off ..so you have a good day.....
Old 21-09-2016, 08:17 AM #15
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
The only other thing I would add is given we don't know the "terms" of the exit, if they are extremely different to what people thought they were voting for then maybe there should be another vote?
..I'm not sure that would be an option because the vote from Europe would surely be 'no confidence'/get out and don't show your face again....what I mean is that it's not really our decision, as a country we made ours so the decision would be of the EU....
Old 21-09-2016, 08:27 AM #16

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

It needs to be respected, that's the whole point.

Whether Scotland should be taken out of the EU though is a different story.
Firewire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 08:29 AM #17
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron

Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron

Brexit won on a **** ton of lies (and because some Brits were quite done with the professionals). A lot of Brits still wanted out, a lot of Brits wanted in so a compromise seems more logical. Not that our opinion should have mattered, the proffesionals should have decided alone really. Lets think about how many people want Trump president.. People are idiots and are self-imploding with power.

Last edited by Withano; 21-09-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Withano is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 10:39 AM #18
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

It was a democratic vote. There were lies told on BOTH sides. The outcome was as clear as it was in the Scottish independence referendum. Scotland voted to stay part of the UK. The UK then voted to leave the EU.

There is nothing else to say.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 10:45 AM #19

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
It was a democratic vote. There were lies told on BOTH sides. The outcome was as clear as it was in the Scottish independence referendum. Scotland voted to stay part of the UK. The UK then voted to leave the EU.

There is nothing else to say.
Exactly
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 11:09 AM #20
0_o

0_o

I think yes. BUT it would have been nice to have most people actually knowing what the hell they were voting for, given how important it is. It should never have been allowed the campaign of scaremongering and outright lies. I know people so pissed off with their vote (mainly outs, but some ins too) as they believed all the **** they were told. Which tbf most people will..not that many actually look at these things properly. I tried to look into it but couldn't really find any info I could trust so voted to stay as better the devil you know and all of that, also the more blatant lies (to me) appeared to be being made by the out campaign so I felt I could trust out even less. But it would have been nice to make a more informed choice.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 21-09-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 11:11 AM #21

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Yes bc democratic vote etc xo but obviously I'd love our Theresa to be like 'go **** yourselves' and we remain in the EU
Black Dagger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 11:14 AM #22
Banned

Banned

I have no respect for it but I'm against the idea of another vote.

Like rubbing a dog's nose in it's own **** to toilet train it, people must face the consequences of their decision in order to learn to make better choices in future. People voted for brexit and now they must deal with the inevitable fallout it'll bring when we eventually leave. They've made their bed, now they must lie in it.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 11:14 AM #23
0_o

0_o

Quote:
There are two answers to this really. If it is a process that is feasible without utterly destroying the country then yes it should be respected and we should move forward with that.

If however it turns out to be the case that it is practically impossible to make it happen, or impossible without knowingly destroying the country, then theres no "honour" in simply forging forward "because democracy". To be clear, I don't mean it being up for debate and some people thinking it will be bad, but rather it becoming straight up fact upon examination that untangling from the EU is all but impossible without creating a failed state.

In that case I would 100% blame the government of the time for offering a vote on something when they didn't even know if it would be possible to realistically make it happen
Indeed. It is ****ing ridiculous that the vote went ahead without ANYONE knowing wtf would happen if it was out. Noone expected it, but even so, these things should be thought out beforehand. Its clear noone knows what to do given Cameron crapped his pants and left and May is stuttering on about it now. I think shes a bit crazy personally for choosing to take leadership while this steaming pile of shite is going on. Personally, I can see the only way we can continue to trade the way we do, is to allow freedom of movement aswell and I do think the Eu will stick to that. And if we do that, a lot of peoples reasons for voting out are no longer 'valid' as the majority (not all) voted because of immigration.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 11:15 AM #24
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

What I find funniest is the government is now faced with Brexit, but have no idea how to actually do it.
Old 21-09-2016, 12:06 PM #25
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I have no respect for it but I'm against the idea of another vote.

Like rubbing a dog's nose in it's own **** to toilet train it, people must face the consequences of their decision in order to learn to make better choices in future. People voted for brexit and now they must deal with the inevitable fallout it'll bring when we eventually leave. They've made their bed, now they must lie in it.

I don't think that method is proven to work

Far from people lying in a bed of their own making which seems quite a bizarre stance to take given the amount of misinformation on both sides and that we still don't know what we actually voted for, I would like us to move forward now and just get on with it, whatever "it" is

Last edited by Cherie; 21-09-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
brexit, outcome, respected, vote, voted