Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: Should the Brexit vote be respected?
Yes, elections and referendums should have consequences 12 66.67%
Yes, elections and referendums should have consequences
12 66.67%
No, the referendum was not binding and the UK is better off in the EU 6 33.33%
No, the referendum was not binding and the UK is better off in the EU
6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-09-2016, 12:15 PM #26
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob! View Post
It probably should be but at the same time it's quite clear the government have absolutely no idea how to actually make any of it happen or how to make a success of it. I think it really needs to be considered that at least half of the exiters voted for quite the wrong reason.
Evidence please?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 12:17 PM #27
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
I don't think that method is proven to work

Far from people lying in a bed of their own making which seems quite a bizarre stance to take given the amount of misinformation on both sides and that we still don't know what we actually voted for, I would like us to move forward now and just get on with it, whatever "it" is
I wouldn't know, I thought it was just a saying.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 12:19 PM #28
Mr Rocket League

Mr Rocket League

People already think politicians don't give a stuff about what us plebeians have to say. Can't imagine it will go down well if they backtrack now especially up here for us Northern Scum.
Kyle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 12:26 PM #29
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Indeed. It is ****ing ridiculous that the vote went ahead without ANYONE knowing wtf would happen if it was out. Noone expected it, but even so, these things should be thought out beforehand. Its clear noone knows what to do given Cameron crapped his pants and left and May is stuttering on about it now. I think shes a bit crazy personally for choosing to take leadership while this steaming pile of shite is going on. Personally, I can see the only way we can continue to trade the way we do, is to allow freedom of movement aswell and I do think the Eu will stick to that. And if we do that, a lot of peoples reasons for voting out are no longer 'valid' as the majority (not all) voted because of immigration.
The crux of it is that no-one can read the future accurately, its only when you are actually in a situation that you know what the outcome would be. For example, on trade, no-one would entertain offering us a trade deal while we were still in europe.

There were so many lies coming out from both sides, both equally bad in my opinion, because any lie is a bad lie and they just shouldnt have done it.

The whole point about negotiation, is that you do so from a position of strength. We are in a strong position, and those in the EU can huff and puff as much as they like, but money talks. Also, by this time next year, France and Germany will both be under scrutiny by their people. There is a massive groundswell for limiting immigration throughout europe, so the people saying that's not negotiable now, may not be in a job at the point where we negotiate (Our negotiations will start from a 2 year minimum position) and even then, a deal could be struck to reduce immigration over 5, 10, 20 years ... who knows. The point being that the bluster coming from the EU at the moment is protectionism from people who are hanging on to jobs by the skin of their teeth. The world is changing, and the EU will need to move with the times.

Last edited by bitontheslide; 21-09-2016 at 12:27 PM.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 12:29 PM #30
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Evidence please?
Depends how you define 'wrong' doesn't it. I would take that to mean they voted on immigration reasons and I don't really think this can be denied, given the leave campaigns main point was immigration? And that immigration is not realistically going to change if we are to strike any kind of trading deal with the EU. So in effect, a fair few were 'duped' into voting as it appears changes to immigration (nor the fund to the NHS, which people believed also) are actually unlikely.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...t-immigration/

Quote:
Lord Ashcroft'smega-poll of 12,369 voters after the referendum suggested as such, finding that one third of Leave voters chose to back Brexit as they saw it "offered the best chance for the UK to regain control over immigration and its own borders." This was the second biggest motivation for Leave voters, just behind “the principle that decisions about the UK should be taken in the UK”.
Poll at the bottom too. Majority of people who voted leave did so because of immigration, of people who took the poll.

Of course, some remainers feel duped too. Of people I speak to a few regret voting stay (even though their vote made no difference anyway) because they were scared they would lose their pensions, which apparently was a huge lie. Some regret being scared of losing their jobs, as it appears now they won't no matter what happens. I think its a bit too early to be breathing a sigh of relief just yet about your job though, given nothing has even been set in stone yet and companies may well bugger off.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 21-09-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 03:03 PM #31

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
Brexit won on a **** ton of lies (and because some Brits were quite done with the professionals). A lot of Brits still wanted out, a lot of Brits wanted in so a compromise seems more logical. Not that our opinion should have mattered, the proffesionals should have decided alone really. Lets think about how many people want Trump president.. People are idiots and are self-imploding with power.
What makes you think the brexit campaign influenced many people? My mind on the EU was made up a long time ago. Boris et al could have been talking telly tubby for all I cared.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 21-09-2016 at 03:05 PM.
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 03:23 PM #32
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
What makes you think the brexit campaign influenced many people? My mind on the EU was made up a long time ago. Boris et al could have been talking telly tubby for all I cared.
I mean.. The numbers of undecided voters constantly becoming smaller each day until the refferendum is conclusive evidence.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
brexit, outcome, respected, vote, voted