Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 15-10-2016, 11:37 AM #326

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

Favourites (more):

-waits for Lostie to attack her again before updating-
Cal. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 11:57 AM #327

Sorry I'm behind I'll try and catch up over the weekend though!

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 05:41 PM #328
-

-

Yeah I decided to watch the 2013 remake of Carrie last night after seeing the original and it really didn't do anything for me. I just found it to be a pale imitation of the original without any new or interesting material. The characters were bland when compared to their original counterparts and you don't really feel any sympathy at all for Carrie in the remake as you do with Sissy in the original. I also didn't like Carrie using her hands in the remake whenever she was using her powers.

One thing I did like though was Chris and Billy's death. It was much longer and drawn out than the original and probably my favourite scene in the remake. Overall it's not an awful remake but it's not particularly good either. It's just the epitome of 'meh' for me. 5/10

Watching Cherry Falls tonight btw

Last edited by Jason.; 15-10-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Jason. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 08:31 PM #329

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Saturday 15th October - Jeepers Creepers (2001)

After making a horrific discovery in the basement of an old abandoned church, Trish (Gina Philips) and her brother Darry (Justin Long) watch their routine road trip home from college turn into a heart-stopping race for their lives. They find themselves the chosen prey of an indestructible force that relentlessly pursues them and gives a new and chilling meaning to the old song "Jeepers Creepers."

Last edited by Cal.; 15-10-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 15-10-2016, 11:07 PM #330
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Cherry Falls

Cherry Falls was treated terribly in the US by censors. Apparently it was much more graphic but it was hacked at and whole scenes had to be shortened and refilmed without most of the cast.

One thing I love is the odd relationships in the movie, for me it added lots of depth to throw away characters like Jody's mum who openly flirts with her daughters boy friend and the ralationshup between Jody and her dad is odd but compelling.

I enjoyed the story line that a killer is offing virgins but it didn't really make that much sense as the football player at the start wasn't that virginal to me and some scenes were messy and felt out of place but you have to blame the censors (the second kill in the movie where a girl is tied to her roof was cut so badly she had a chase scene </3)

Also a victim of the censors were most scenes with Jody's best friend Timmy who I thought added a little zest.

I loved the killer and their reasons for going on the rampage and especilly for who they target and one kill I love is the 'let's split' cop. I wish the censors had left the movie alone - I think it's a film with all the right ingredients but it was left undercooked because of over zealous MPAA being dicks.

7/10

Last edited by Amy Jade; 15-10-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Amy Jade is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 01:50 AM #331
-

-

Cherry Falls

It's funny how I Know What You Did Last Summer and Urban Legend have a reputation for being 'knock-offs' of Scream and even though they cashed in on the success of it, I think Cherry Falls fits that mould much more than the other two do. I found that a lot of scenes in this film were quite identical to Scream, but nevertheless I still enjoyed this one quite a bit.

I find the idea of a killer hacking up virgins to be a really nice touch and quite original when compared to your standard slasher and the horror clichés that usually come with it; the virgin always lives and if you have sex...RIP. I found it quite funny how all the virgins at the school threw an orgy to save themselves so they don't get picked off. I also really enjoyed the school chase scene and I quite liked the look of the killer too.

The killer was good, even though I guessed who it was about a third into the film. The reveal was strong and I did really enjoy the motive behind the killer's actions.

However this film isn't without its flaws. My main gripe with this is the relatively small body count, and for a slasher film it's certainly lacking in the kills department. There's only really a few kills in this and they either take place in the first half hour or they're off-screen to some extent. It could've done with a couple more kills in the middle to really balance things out, especially during the orgy.

6.5/10

Last edited by Jason.; 16-10-2016 at 01:58 AM.
Old 16-10-2016, 02:24 AM #332
-

-

The fact it came out post-Columbine probably explains why it was so heavily censored.
Old 16-10-2016, 10:55 AM #333

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Cherry Falls (2000)

I've been meaning to see this film all summer, ask Jason. But I finally got to watch it and I wasn't disappointed at all. I thought the killer was really scary with the black wig with the grey streak and the whole Lora Lee look<3 Brittany Murphy was excellent as Jody (but obviously it's Brittany Murphy</3) and I really enjoyed the characters of Timmy (very bold for the time period having him gay and having such a distinct look), Kenny, Jody's mum and her dad. I knew there was something off about Jody's dad from the self defence scene where he falls on top of Jody and just lays there for a moment - it was quite weird. I'm glad all of Lora Lee's rapists were brought to justice but I think making Mr. Markinson the killer, the son of Lora Lee AND Jody's half brother all in one go was a bit much. I liked the killer and son of the real Lora Lee angle but implying that he was Brent's son instead of the other 3 rapists was a bit odd - especially considering he tried to kill Jody several times throughout if he was saving the big reveal for her and her dad. The orgy scene was such a mess but having Mr. Markinson chase Jody and Kenny to the orgy seemed like a lame attempt at tying it all together to me. I felt they should have focused less on the orgy angle or had the killer attack the orgy before the big reveal with Brent, Jody and Kenny but idk. Overall it was enjoyable and it's sad that it never got a release into cinemas because I think it would have done well. I'd give it a 7/10.
Old 16-10-2016, 10:57 AM #334

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

A very clear winner so far
Old 16-10-2016, 11:38 AM #335
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

This is a great article as to why Cherry Falls was treated so badly

http://bloody-disgusting.com/editori...-cherry-falls/
Old 16-10-2016, 11:44 AM #336
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason. View Post
The fact it came out post-Columbine probably explains why it was so heavily censored.
Sadly you are right, the things you quite rightly say were missing (a higher body count and a more gore filled orgy scene) were in the original cut - in the commentary on the blu-ray they explain that the death of the girl hung in her house was much more graphic and prolonged and the orgy scene had lots of death scenes but the MPAA demanded it all cut (including ALL nudity) it's actually a shame because I think the movie is pretty smart and it's kept a freshness around it that some late 90's slashers lack
Old 16-10-2016, 02:12 PM #337

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Jeepers Creepers (2001)

I haven't seen this film in years so I'd forgotten exactly what happens in it. I forgot it was as good as it is. I love how it spirals just from a simple car ride home in the country with brother and sister and ends in such a harrowing and horrible way. I enjoyed the dynamic between Trish and Darry (Trish is probably one of my favourite horror heroines after this rewatch and I liked that the director decided to make them brother and sister to stop any sexual tension between the actors and to keep the audience focused on their plight from the creeper and not on if they were going to have sex or whatever) and I think the scenes before darkness falls are some of the most nervewracking in a movie I've seen. My one qualm with it is that the writing sometimes goes wrong, in the beginning Trish is portrayed as the smart and mature one who doesn't think they should go back to the pipe (AND THEY REALLY SHOULDN'T HAVE) and Darry is the one who makes the stupid choices but by the end Trish is being stupid and immature by refusing to listen to Jez the physic even though she's telling the truth and Darry is the one being mature and intelligent but whatever. The ending is one of my favourites in horror and I like how they referenced it throughout with the Jeepers Creepers song and focusing on 'eyes'. The Creeper and his truck are really menacing and scary and I liked how they fully explained his origins in the middle so they didn't have to retcon him further down the line in the sequels like they did with other horror villains like Michael and Jason. But yeah, a thoroughly enjoyable suspenseful horror film and I'm really glad it made the list. 8/10.

Last edited by Cal.; 16-10-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 16-10-2016, 03:11 PM #338
Marc

Favourites (more):
BB10: Marcus
BB6: Science

Marc

Favourites (more):
BB10: Marcus
BB6: Science

Bye i am so sorry for not doing this
Babayaro. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 03:35 PM #339

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babayaro. View Post
Bye i am so sorry for not doing this
Old 16-10-2016, 06:48 PM #340
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Jade View Post
This is a great article as to why Cherry Falls was treated so badly

http://bloody-disgusting.com/editori...-cherry-falls/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Jade View Post
Sadly you are right, the things you quite rightly say were missing (a higher body count and a more gore filled orgy scene) were in the original cut - in the commentary on the blu-ray they explain that the death of the girl hung in her house was much more graphic and prolonged and the orgy scene had lots of death scenes but the MPAA demanded it all cut (including ALL nudity) it's actually a shame because I think the movie is pretty smart and it's kept a freshness around it that some late 90's slashers lack
Aww that's unfortunate. It was unlucky to come out when it did as had it came out 2-3 years earlier it probably would've got more recognition and a theatrical release that some of the other late-90s slasher films got. It does strike me as one of the more obscure flicks and that's probably because it was made into a TV-movie in the end. I'm glad Scream Factory have picked it up though and given it a proper release.
Old 19-10-2016, 01:08 AM #341
-

-

Jeepers Creepers

Jeepers Creepers is no more than your average teen horror movie but that doesn't stop it from being highly enjoyable. This is definitely one of my favourite modern horror movies. It's suspenseful from start to finish and builds up a mood of sinister expectation right from the beginning.

I love the relationship between Darry and Trish and how realistic it is. Like Cal said, I like how it's a brother and sister relationship as opposed to a group of friends or boyfriend and girlfriend as that's something we rarely see in these teen horror films, especially during the time in which this came out.

My favourite aspect of the film are the ominous clues throughout such as the license plate on the Creeper's truck reading "BEATNGU" (Be Eating You) and the Jeepers Creepers song, which foreshadows Darry's fate heavily with the lyrics "Jeepers Creepers, where’d ya get those peepers?" is enough to send a shiver down your spine. The end scene where the camera slowly fades to Darry's eyeless and motionless corpse as the camera zooms into the Creeper's eyes staring through his empty skull, whilst the song we all know too well plays on the phonograph in the background is chilling to say the least.

If I had to find a gripe with this film, it would be the director's extremely reprehensible criminal past (which I won't dwell on too much in this review) that's quite off-putting, especially towards a film like this but then again, that's more to do with the director as opposed to actual film itself.

Overall, a creepy albeit fun little horror flick that gets better everytime you watch it. Looking forwards to the third one supposedly coming out next year with Gina Philips from this film reprising her role as legend Trish.

8/10

Last edited by Jason.; 19-10-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 19-10-2016, 03:59 PM #342

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Trick R Treat tonight!
Old 19-10-2016, 04:14 PM #343
Namaste

Namaste

I'll watch Jeepers Creepers later
Lostie! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 06:07 PM #344

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Wednesday 19th October - Trick R Treat (2007)

Interwoven stories demonstrate that some traditions are best not forgotten as the residents (Anna Paquin, Brian Cox, Dylan Baker) of a small town face real ghosts and goblins on Halloween. Tales of terror reveal the consequences of extinguishing a Jack-o-Lantern before midnight and a grumpy hermit's encounter with a sinister trick-or-treater.

Last edited by Cal.; 19-10-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 19-10-2016, 06:31 PM #345
Banned

Banned

Carrie

A classic, if a little dated. It's well acted and I like how they held back on the gore and needless spectacle unlike the remake where it felt more like 'Jean Grey: the teen years' rather than Carrie. I felt Carrie was a lot more sympathetic in this version than in the needless remake too.

8/10

Cherry Falls

I like how it turns certain slasher tropes on their heads but I found the film kind of boring. It's a film that was made because of Scream's success and it shows.

4/10
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 06:38 PM #346

I'm so behind sorry! I am definitely going to catch up though

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 06:51 PM #347

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Thank you for all the reviews and no worries Jamie
Old 19-10-2016, 06:56 PM #348
-

-

really sorry cal I'm gonna catch up asap
Jake. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 09:04 PM #349
Namaste

Namaste

Jeepers Creepers: 8/10

The first half of this movie is easily a 9 for me and if the whole film was like that it would top the current ranking without a doubt. It's one of the most genuinely unsettling first acts of a movie I can remember, everything from the sharing of a scary urban legend on a lonely road, the truck's first ominous appearances (that one shot as it silently approaches in the background was inspired), the discovery of the "house of pain" is all extremely effective in building dread and tension.

That's why it's a shame that the second half becomes much more of a generic everyday horror movie as it becomes more about the gross-out moments and less about maintaining the atmosphere so brilliantly built up. It's not awful though, just nothing special. That said, the inclusion of Jez for the second half was a great move as her warnings about what's to come provide a creepy sense of unease that would otherwise be missing at that point. I also like that they make you think you know which sibling will die then flip the script at the very end. The final scenes also salvage some of the earlier atmosphere with an effective final scene with the reveal of Darry's fate as Jeepers Creepers plays in the background.

To be honest, a whole movie akin to the second half would probably get a 7 but it gets bumped up to 8 for the brilliant first half, it's just a shame it wasn't a full 9 as it could have been. The Creeper was creepier (hehehe) the less we saw of him.

Ranking:
1. Carrie (8/10)
2. Jeepers Creepers (8/10)
3. The Shining (8/10)
4. The Hills Have Eyes (7/10)
5. Cherry Falls (6/10)
Lostie! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 08:12 PM #350
Will.

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
CBB20: Brandi Glanville

Will.

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
CBB20: Brandi Glanville

Cherry Falls - 7/10

Loved it! The killer was really freaky and overall the characters were great, really enjoyed and haven't heard of the movie before, nice to watch something never heard of. Quite similar to the films such as Scream/IKWYDLS however I love films like that so it's fine! Wasn't that many kills for a slasher film, the killer was a little obvious towards the end but overall the motive was really interesting and thoroughly enjoyed the film.

Jeepers Creppers - 9/10

One of favourite horror films ever, it's one of the first scary films I've ever watched and it didn't disappoint. It's very creepy and kept me entertained for a long time, I loved the characters and the Jeepers Creepers song gives me chills, very frightening. The movie progresses well and it's quite gruesome in parts. I find the Creeper very scary and it haunted me when I was younger. I'm looking forward to the third film when it's hopefully released in the next couple of years. The ending was very memorable and I found it quite disturbing looking back. I did find it had lost some of it's good qualities in the second part of the film, especially the atmosphere which was superb in the first half. Overall loved it and can watch it many times and not get bored.

Last edited by Will.; 21-10-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Will. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
1976, 1980, 2000, 2006, 2016, 7 or page, carrie, cherry, closed, countdown, creepers, eyes, falls, films, halloween, hills, jeepers, open, page, revealed, shining, suggestions, tibb, top, vote