Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:20 PM #51
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.winter.has.come View Post
Also: there will always be hungry people around the world. Why even bother feeding five of them. It's pointless.

As they say at Tesco: every little helps.
How does protesting a bank note help anything or anyone?

Animals aren't killed for their fat, they're killed for their meat. The fat used to create Tallow is often a byproduct. Should we just be wasteful with the materials for the sake of faux outrage? What's the point of that? It doesn't help anyone and the same amount of animals will still be killed regardless.

The Native Americans had it right, if an animal must be killed then we must make use of as many parts of it as possible.

Last edited by Tom4784; 03-12-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:20 PM #52
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Also: there will always be hungry people around the world. Why even bother feeding five of them. It's pointless.

As they say at Tesco: every little helps.
that is a fake advertising slogan

Do you know how many cows are killed on roads every day?

why are the VV's not doing owt about that?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:26 PM #53

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christmas Sherry View Post
I wonder how many would say keep the change in that instance
Do you know how much Quorn you can buy for a fiver?
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:35 PM #54
swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):
BB19: Brooke
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post

Animals aren't killed for their fat, they're killed for their meat. The fat used to create Tallow is often a byproduct. Should we just be wasteful with the materials for the sake of faux outrage? What's the point of that? It doesn't help anyone and the same amount of animals will still be killed regardless.

The Native Americans had it right, if an animal must be killed then we must make use of as many parts of it as possible.
It helps that extra animal that had to be killed because of it.
It's giving another reason why to kill animals, instead of giving this brutal act less reasons.
Is it necessary to put that fat in the money? No.
Can they do it with other material? Yes.
So why with?
Why justify one horribly violence with another one.
Why are you supportive of this idea instead of saying "what kind of idiocy is putting animal fat in money"?
Why protesting against this idea is being silly and not the idea itself being silly?

Will you say the same if it was animal fat of dogs who died for the Chinese market? Cats who died on the roads?

Spoiler:

Shifra, Tzabar, Ranin. BBIL 2008.
y.winter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:43 PM #55
swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):

swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Christmas Great Again View Post
that is a fake advertising slogan

Do you know how many cows are killed on roads every day?

why are the VV's not doing owt about that?
1. Yes, it's advertising slogan, but you know what I mean.
2. Who said they're not doing anything about that?
3. Can they do anything about it? Can they do anything about the money? One case can be easily avoided, I'll let you guess which one. (Clue: it has been avoided so far).
4. Why must it be all or nothing at all with you? Must we choose between money and roadkills or can we work to minimise both of them?

Spoiler:

Old 03-12-2016, 02:53 PM #56
Namaste

Namaste

Quote:

I'm not one of the people planning a boycott or whatever because I don't see how on earth that will work but I have to disagree with you here, I don't see what "faux outrage" has to do with anything (and if I'm being honest I think that term has become a much too convenient way of dismissing certain opinions). If someone who genuinely feels very strongly about animal rights is taking issue with this, I think it's clear that their anger is very real. I don't think there's anything anybody can really do about it and as I said, I don't see how a boycott would work (like are people just going to refuse one of these notes if they receive it with their change? I've no time for stuff like that for the sake of making a statement) but I still think people who feel this strongly about this stuff are entitled to voice their grievances with it.

Also, it's not really about people who abstain from using animal products being deluded enough to think that they're stopping animal slaughter. For example I'm under no assumption that me not eating meat has an effect on the amount of animals being killed for food. The point is that people who feel this way about animals simply don't want to be involved in using animal products in their daily life. We can choose to stop eating meat and to not wear materials from skinned animals etc but something like this takes that choice away. Nobody is eating or wearing it but they're being forced to partake in this attitude of animals being treated as not much more than materials for humans to use rather than living creatures (whether they were killed specifically for the fat or not, even being killed just for the meat this is a result of that and therefore the very thing vegetarians / vegans don't wish to be involved in).

But yeah, all of that said, it is what it is unfortunately. There comes a time when you have to just deal with the situation you have and this is one.
Lostie! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:57 PM #57
baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

baddie

Favourites (more):

Lol imagine being vilified for not wanting animal fat in their money.

Last edited by armand.kay; 03-12-2016 at 03:00 PM.
armand.kay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:09 PM #58
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan McChristmas. View Post
Lol imagine being vilified for not wanting animal fat in their money.
Its a lot worse the other way around when you analyse the actual facts and ditch the hysteria..

Old 03-12-2016, 03:11 PM #59
baddie

Favourites (more):

baddie

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Christmas Great Again View Post
Its a lot worse the other way around when you analyse the actual facts and ditch the hysteria..

I'm not that bothered about it but i understand why someone would be, so no i don't really need to ditch anything

Old 03-12-2016, 03:16 PM #60

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

I'd like to know how many of the people who complained and signed the petition use other animal products in their everyday lives, like their couches, or their car seats, their wallets/purses/bags, their shoes? I obviously don't have a problem with vegetarians or vegans because I'm not stupid, however, the militant vegetarians and vegans that believe they're better than everyone else because they eat plants and quinoa are the worst.

I don't see the harm in something being made with an animal byproduct, the animal was already dead, having not being killed for this specific reason, so should the rest of the animal be wasted and just thrown away somewhere, rather than all of the animal having a proper use?
Old 03-12-2016, 03:37 PM #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
I'd like to know how many of the people who complained and signed the petition use other animal products in their everyday lives, like their couches, or their car seats, their wallets/purses/bags, their shoes? I obviously don't have a problem with vegetarians or vegans because I'm not stupid, however, the militant vegetarians and vegans that believe they're better than everyone else because they eat plants and quinoa are the worst.

I don't see the harm in something being made with an animal byproduct, the animal was already dead, having not being killed for this specific reason, so should the rest of the animal be wasted and just thrown away somewhere, rather than all of the animal having a proper use?
What I thinks interesting though, is that if animals aren't killed for this purpose, that means that this particular byproduct isn't needed for the notes... so why use it? I doubt it's for the sake of 'wasting' dead animal parts (I mean it might be I suppose but I can't see the banks basing their decisions on that). And since vegans/vegetarians are against animals being killed in the first place they probably don't see it as being a 'waste' if it isn't used, it's a completely different perspective.

So could they not just use something else and keep everyone happy?

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:21 PM #62
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Screw moral, ethical or religious sentiment!! This is money and money is EVERYTHING!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2016, 05:05 PM #63
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Corbynmas View Post
Screw moral, ethical or religious sentiment!! This is money and money is EVERYTHING!!!!!!
You bet it is

Old 03-12-2016, 05:09 PM #64

Quote:

Yes Dezzy
they are killed for meat
its just the left overs.
All bits must be used
or its a Whole Waste of Time.

One Pure Vegan Girl worker
on CH5HD AM last week
could not make up her mind up- Live on Air

Last edited by arista; 03-12-2016 at 05:09 PM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:18 PM #65
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

If I hear, 'it's only a tiny bit' one more time...... :/ I eat meat and I can see why this is wrong.
Candles and stuff... blah blah yes they have ingredients listed, money does not.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:10 AM #66
Banned

Banned

Quote:
It helps that extra animal that had to be killed because of it.
It's giving another reason why to kill animals, instead of giving this brutal act less reasons.
Is it necessary to put that fat in the money? No.
Can they do it with other material? Yes.
So why with?
Why justify one horribly violence with another one.
Why are you supportive of this idea instead of saying "what kind of idiocy is putting animal fat in money"?
Why protesting against this idea is being silly and not the idea itself being silly?

Will you say the same if it was animal fat of dogs who died for the Chinese market? Cats who died on the roads?
I don't think I've ever heard of animals being killed just for their fat. It's a byproduct so it's very doubtful that more animals are being killed just to harvest it so I completely disregard that point of yours until you can prove otherwise.

The animal is dead either way so why waste perfectly good materials? Again, would you rather the carcass be discarded and ultimately wasted? Remember that with or without Tallow, that animal will still be dead. Better to make use of it's parts than let it go to waste.

I'm not supportive of the idea, I ultimately don't care about Tallow being used on bank notes, I just think it's dumb to act like it's outrageous when the kinds of people that will protest this don't mind the animal parts being used in their clothes, shoes and other everyday items.

Like I said before, I believe in the native american principle of using as much of an animal as possible. Dogs will be killed for their meat in China regardless so why not use something that would ultimately be thrown away otherwise? Same goes for cats.

Same goes for me, I've got a donor card because I'd rather have my organs be used then left to rot or burn.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:48 AM #67
swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):

swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I don't think I've ever heard of animals being killed just for their fat. It's a byproduct so it's very doubtful that more animals are being killed just to harvest it so I completely disregard that point of yours until you can prove otherwise.

The animal is dead either way so why waste perfectly good materials? Again, would you rather the carcass be discarded and ultimately wasted? Remember that with or without Tallow, that animal will still be dead. Better to make use of it's parts than let it go to waste.

I'm not supportive of the idea, I ultimately don't care about Tallow being used on bank notes, I just think it's dumb to act like it's outrageous when the kinds of people that will protest this don't mind the animal parts being used in their clothes, shoes and other everyday items.

Like I said before, I believe in the native american principle of using as much of an animal as possible. Dogs will be killed for their meat in China regardless so why not use something that would ultimately be thrown away otherwise? Same goes for cats.

Same goes for me, I've got a donor card because I'd rather have my organs be used then left to rot or burn.
As Jamie said - why is a fat animal waste such a concern? it wasn't used before, it can be stay unused after. If it should worry anyone, it should be the meat industry who'll be happy earning a few more quids. Since when animal fat waste is the only answer to making money?! It's absurd. This is industry is not really environment friendly to say the least, it's not like they're green peace all of a sudden.

I hold a donor card too, and that's where the difference lies - I decided to do so, the animals didn't agree to take part in this and become a product and get slaughtered and being used like a "material" instead of... being an animal.

We should be more graceful with our surroundings. instead we're going calculated, cold and numb.

Spoiler:

Old 04-12-2016, 12:01 PM #68
Banned

Banned

Quote:
As Jamie said - why is a fat animal waste such a concern? it wasn't used before, it can be stay unused after. If it should worry anyone, it should be the meat industry who'll be happy earning a few more quids. Since when animal fat waste is the only answer to making money?! It's absurd. This is industry is not really environment friendly to say the least, it's not like they're green peace all of a sudden.

I hold a donor card too, and that's where the difference lies - I decided to do so, the animals didn't agree to take part in this and become a product and get slaughtered and being used like a "material" instead of... being an animal.

We should be more graceful with our surroundings. instead we're going calculated, cold and numb.
So you'd gladly waste useful resources for no valid reason. The animals whose fat are harvested for Tallow are dead when it happens, they would be dead either way as these animals are killed for their meat. not their fat.

You say we should be more graceful with our surroundings but how can you say that in the same post where you are basically endorsing being wasteful? Hypocritical.

Animals are going to die for their meat, fact so what valid reason do you have for not making use of what would otherwise be considered a byproduct and likely disposed in a non-environmentally friendly fashion? Better to make use of what we can.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:51 PM #69
-

-

Quote:
So you'd gladly waste useful resources for no valid reason. The animals whose fat are harvested for Tallow are dead when it happens, they would be dead either way as these animals are killed for their meat. not their fat.

You say we should be more graceful with our surroundings but how can you say that in the same post where you are basically endorsing being wasteful? Hypocritical.

Animals are going to die for their meat, fact so what valid reason do you have for not making use of what would otherwise be considered a byproduct and likely disposed in a non-environmentally friendly fashion? Better to make use of what we can.
To play devils advocate though, looking at it from the veggie/vegan POV (where as I understand it, they basically consider the animals to be just like humans) ... Would we be OK with human remains being used in the manufacturing industry so long as the people died of natural causes? Like if money contained baby skulls, would it be OK if they were all stillbirths?

I think that's essentially the thinking of it. I dunno. As I say just playing devils advocate as I am very much NOT vegan and frankly wouldn't be that bothered if there was an entire cow in every fiver .
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:51 PM #70
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

There would be no waste, how do you think supermarkets can sell 20 burgers for Ł1?.... Nothing is wasted.

Or they grind up what's left of a cow and feed it back to cows.... that's how the BSE crisis was identified.

Last edited by Kizzy; 04-12-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:09 PM #71

Update: the new fiver tears quite easily.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:29 PM #72
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by December View Post
Update: the new fiver tears quite easily.
Not as easily as a paper fiver . I think people expected them to be indestructible .

One of the main problems with them though, is that they can shrink / warp if they are exposed to heat, e.g. Accidentally tumble-dried... I've had a couple of people try to pay with "mini" fivers.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:18 PM #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Santa View Post
Not as easily as a paper fiver . I think people expected them to be indestructible .

One of the main problems with them though, is that they can shrink / warp if they are exposed to heat, e.g. Accidentally tumble-dried... I've had a couple of people try to pay with "mini" fivers.

Sell them on Ebay

This new Note is saving the bank Big Money
No money should be near Heat.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:30 PM #74
baddie

Favourites (more):

baddie

Favourites (more):

Also them using the animal fat weather it's a byproduct or not is putting money into the pockets of those running the toxic meat industry and some people might not be happy about that...

Old 06-12-2016, 02:08 PM #75
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I'm disturbed by this. Many people do not eat various animals on religious grounds. It caused a whole bloody mutiny in India, having gun catridges made with fat from a cow for Indian troops to use. I thought in this "right on" climate someone would have thought about that.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
note, pound, suitable, vegetarians