Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:29 AM #51
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
They fought for you to have the freedoms you have, that is really disrespectful to older people imo.
The majority of people who voted Tory would not be old enough to have fought in World War 2 so this is a false statement.

Plus they voted for Theresa May who said that she'd 'rip up' Human Rights laws to combat terrorism which is an ACTUAL insult to all that have sacrificed and died to ensure the rights we enjoy. Try again.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:31 AM #52
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Generally older people need the NHS more than the young so that really makes no sense.
As I've always said, most people are inherently stupid and will vote against themselves, The Tories took focus away from their plans for the NHS by repeating vague rhetoric and appealing to the prejudices of the voters.

Mention immigration or terrorism and most people will be gullible enough to vote for you regardless of what you are actually saying.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:53 AM #53
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Also have to say... A bit of irony to see people complaining about ageism against the older generations, whilst in the same post being ageist about young people. it does work both ways, you know. For every "inexperienced" young voter, there's an "out of touch" elderly voter.
No irony at all TS, I posted this because of all the finger pointing that was done to "old people" voting in the EU referendum and how they would be dead before the consequences would be felt etc, shame a lot of the same finger pointers didn't feel the need to vote in the mass numbers as they obviously did this time round, so as the old saying goes, sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander the good thing to come out of this is that people are realising how important their vote is...20 votes the difference in safe seat Kensington...also TS I didn't resort to using insulting terms to describe young voters

Last edited by Cherie; 10-06-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:02 PM #54
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
No irony at all TS, I posted this because of all the finger pointing that was done to "old people" voting in the EU referendum and how they would be dead before the consequences would be felt etc, shame a lot of the same finger pointers didn't feel the need to vote in the mass numbers as they obviously did this time round, so as the old saying goes, sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander the good thing to come out of this is that people are realising how important their vote is...20 votes the difference in safe seat Kensington...
Hmm you responded to one of my posts, and I ignored it because I didnt really understand it.. but if this was your reasoning, then that wasnt my intention. I was simply pointing out that 100% of the young is outnumbered by 100% of the old, 100% of 18-30s are still outnumbered by 50% of 50+'s. I was talking quantities, this isnt speculative.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:18 PM #55
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
Hmm you responded to one of my posts, and I ignored it because I didnt really understand it.. but if this was your reasoning, then that wasnt my intention. I was simply pointing out that 100% of the young is outnumbered by 100% of the old, 100% of 18-30s are still outnumbered by 50% of 50+'s. I was talking quantities, this isnt speculative.
There is an age distribution gap, and one that will always be there.

Politics and outcome doesn't need to be governed by age though, in the same way that north/south divides don't need to be the deciding factor.

Also, lets highlight the most obvious example. Corbyn is approaching being 70 years old. He is past normal retirement age already and here he is championing the causes that the young demographic identify with.

Politics just isn't that simple, and can't be generalised so easily.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:19 PM #56
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It is speculative as you are assuming in that scenario that all oldies vote one way...the days of people voting one party for ever is over ask UKIP
Old 10-06-2017, 12:23 PM #57
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post

Politics and outcome doesn't need to be governed by age though, in the same way that north/south divides don't need to be the deciding factor.

Also, lets highlight the most obvious example. Corbyn is approaching being 70 years old. He is past normal retirement age already and here he is championing the causes that the young demographic identify with.

Exactly
Old 10-06-2017, 12:26 PM #58
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post

Im still just talking quantities. There are literally more old than young, and they have historically voted differently to one another.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:28 PM #59
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It is speculative as you are assuming in that scenario that all oldies vote one way...the days of people voting one party for ever is over ask UKIP
But your post was in response to me suggesting, that this time, a lot of the old voted with the young instead of against them.. youve fought for both sides now!
Old 10-06-2017, 12:30 PM #60
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
As I've always said, most people are inherently stupid and will vote against themselves, The Tories took focus away from their plans for the NHS by repeating vague rhetoric and appealing to the prejudices of the voters.

Mention immigration or terrorism and most people will be gullible enough to vote for you regardless of what you are actually saying.
As you keep repeating, and most are not buying.

Immigration is a problem when too many with a Middle Ages mindset are squeezed into small areas among those of a modern democratic mindset. The evidence is there and we are all painfully aware of it.

You can shout your opinion until you explode - it doesn't make it correct and it doesn't make everyone with a different opinion stupid. To think that is stupid.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:33 PM #61
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
But your post was in response to me suggesting, that this time, a lot of the old voted with the young instead of against them.. youve fought for both sides now!
No I'm not because for all you know the same people might have voted the same way in 2015 but the young weren't out in force so we will never know will we
Old 10-06-2017, 12:33 PM #62
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

I think youth turnout was so high because they didnt feel as if they were voting against the old. The young know they live in an ageing population, and they know they'd have to vote 3:1 to outnumber them - this is impossible when the older turnout is like 80%.

But the youth didnt feel as if they were voting against them, they knew the elderly wanted their retirement, and younger adults were keen on school meals. They werent fighting against them (as much) in this election.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:34 PM #63
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
No I'm not because for all you know the same people might have voted the same way in 2015 but the young weren't out in force so we will never know will we
Oh. No not really

Old 10-06-2017, 12:39 PM #64
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Oh. No not really

You would need to compare it to 2017 averages to get a definitive picture surely
Old 10-06-2017, 12:42 PM #65
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Though it's interesting that the percentage of 18 to 29s who voted UKIP isn't far behind the over 60s
Old 10-06-2017, 12:43 PM #66
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
You would need to compare it to 2017 averages to get a definitive picture surely
I'm very interested to see those results, either way I think the youth turnout was higher this time because they at least believed the below could be true.

Quote:
I think youth turnout was so high because they didnt feel as if they were voting against the old. The young know they live in an ageing population, and they know they'd have to vote 3:1 to outnumber them - this is impossible when the older turnout is like 80%.

But the youth didnt feel as if they were voting against them, they knew the elderly wanted their retirement, and younger adults were keen on school meals. They werent fighting against them (as much) in this election.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:45 PM #67
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I'm very interested to see those results, either way I think the youth turnout was higher this time because they at least believed the below could be true.
Maybe I think a combination of the Corbyn appeal , his polices, Brexit backlash and May's many U turns helped they must be wetting themselves in Brussels
Old 10-06-2017, 12:47 PM #68
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Maybe I think a combination of the Corbyn appeal , his polices, Brexit backlash and May's many U turns helped they must be wetting themselves in Brussels
Yeah, I think Corbyns manifesto made the young wake up a bit, and Mays manifesto made the older switch a bit.. I dont think the age divide will be massively significant this time round
Old 10-06-2017, 12:52 PM #69
Banned

Banned

Quote:
As you keep repeating, and most are not buying.

Immigration is a problem when too many with a Middle Ages mindset are squeezed into small areas among those of a modern democratic mindset. The evidence is there and we are all painfully aware of it.

You can shout your opinion until you explode - it doesn't make it correct and it doesn't make everyone with a different opinion stupid. To think that is stupid.
I don't give a **** about whether or not you buy it, it's the truth and all you can do is deny it and that doesn't matter given how you wilfully ignore the Tories' actions yet slate Labour for things that the Tories are guilty of.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:01 PM #70
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
The majority of people who voted Tory would not be old enough to have fought in World War 2 so this is a false statement.

Plus they voted for Theresa May who said that she'd 'rip up' Human Rights laws to combat terrorism which is an ACTUAL insult to all that have sacrificed and died to ensure the rights we enjoy. Try again.
Absolutely,the war ended near 72 years ago,I doubt there are that many 90+ people voting now.
Also,at the end of that war most of those who likely fought and those keeping things going at home,their families.
Turned to Labour in the election of 1945,turfing out Churchill and giving Labour a landslide victory.

That's what people who lived and fought during that war decided to do the moment they got the chance.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:44 PM #71
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Yeah, I think Corbyns manifesto made the young wake up a bit, and Mays manifesto made the older switch a bit.. I dont think the age divide will be massively significant this time round
I really don't know what she thought was going to happen by attacking her core voters with the winter fuel allowance and dementia tax, maybe she thought they would just suck it up because she was strong and stable and would deliver a hard Brexit, when it comes to their own pockets the pensioners are as defensive as anyone other group
Old 10-06-2017, 01:49 PM #72
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
Absolutely,the war ended near 72 years ago,I doubt there are that many 90+ people voting now.
Also,at the end of that war most of those who likely fought and those keeping things going at home,their families.
Turned to Labour in the election of 1945,turfing out Churchill and giving Labour a landslide victory.

That's what people who lived and fought during that war decided to do the moment they got the chance.
I bet their families still respect what they fought and died for. And it wasn't for what this country is becoming. They fought to protect us not expose us to risk.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:05 PM #73
Banned

Banned

Quote:
I bet their families still respect what they fought and died for. And it wasn't for what this country is becoming. They fought to protect us not expose us to risk.
And you are arguing for destroying rights they died to protect.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:12 PM #74

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Quote:

She didn't say ALL and everybodys human rights ,she said she would get human rights altered for terrorists,so she can deport the ones she can easier,that's how I understood it anyway.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:14 PM #75
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
She didn't say ALL and everybodys human rights ,she said she would get human rights altered for terrorists,so she can deport the ones she can easier,that's how I understood it anyway.
That is silly, you can't pick and choose when it comes to Human Rights, it's all or nothing. Her words were an attack on Human Rights as a whole.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
1824, 72, bracket, cent, turn