Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 11:03 AM #101

Favourites:
BBUSA16: Derrick

Favourites:
BBUSA16: Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasown View Post
Funny old thing I would look up what the immigration policy is that prevents Argentinian immigrants, before gobbing off about something you obviously know very little about.
lol don't you know who you are talking to, good luck with that
Old 03-03-2012, 11:03 AM #102
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
enlighten us all plzzz. go on...don't be vague.
Its a British Dependency(Overseas Territory), that means the Foreign Office of the United Kingdom are responsible for the immigratioon policy in line with European policies( well fancy that eh?).

Immigration is not run by the FI Government, though it does administer central government policies.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:05 AM #103

Quote:
Its a British Dependency(Overseas Territory), that means the Foreign Office of the United Kingdom are responsible for the immigratioon policy in line with European policies( well fancy that eh?).

Immigration is not run by the FI Government, though it does administer central government policies.
so yur saying it's the UK government, not the local Malvinas Islander's policy that prevents it, umm, so what's yur point? You're just proving my point, which is that it's UK policy, not an ISlander's policy that is the problem...

Last edited by lostalex; 03-03-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:06 AM #104
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Mars III View Post
Its my good deed for the day, either offering freindly info to prevent doughnuts showing themselves to be complete and utter balloon knots..... or helping old ladies cross busy roads
Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 AM #105
Jesus.

Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
They're three hundred miles away from Argentina. They just look close on a map of the world.
8000 miles from the UK.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 AM #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Mars III View Post
again, yu have nothing to say, just attacking me. Try adding something to the conversation on the TOPIC, i dare you.

As interesting as i am, i am NOT the topic here.

Last edited by lostalex; 03-03-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:11 AM #107
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
so yur saying it's the UK government, not the local Malvinas Islander's policy that prevents it, umm, so what's yur point? You're just proving my point, which is that it's UK policy, not an ISlander's policy that is the problem...

Please make your mind up as to whether the British Government is being racist by insisting that Argentinian citizens follow the same immigration policy as any other non EU citizen.

Or is racist just the new word you intend to throw around to all and sundry in each and every of your badly thought out inflammatory posts.

Answers on a postcard to someone who gives a flyer.......

Last edited by Shasown; 03-03-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:16 AM #108

Quote:
Please make your mind up as to whether the British Government is being racist by insisting that Argentinian citizens follow the same immigration policy as any other non EU citizen.

Or is racist just the new word you intend to throw around to all and sundry in each and every of your badly thought out inflammatory posts.

Answers on a postcard to someone who gives a flyer.......
Oh you don't give a "flyer" then why the hell are you wasting my time??? stop trying to be cute.

please explain how it makes sense that the EU immigration policy should apply on the other side of the world.

It's clear the UK only uses that policy to prevent Argentinians from free immigration there. There's no reason that the Malvinas should be part of the EU free movement policy. It makes much more sense for it to have a free movement policy with South America than with EUROPE.

If you don't see that well then there's no talking to you. And Argentina has every right to block trade with you. Every nation has every right to choose who it does business with, just like the US and CUBA embargo.

Last edited by lostalex; 03-03-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:23 AM #109
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Quote:
Oh you don't give a "flyer" then why the hell are you wasting my time??? stop trying to be cute.

please explain how it makes sense that the EU immigration policy should apply on the other side of the world.

It's clear the UK only uses that policy to prevent Argentinians from free immigration there. There's no reason that the Malvinas should be part of the EU free movement policy. It makes much more sense for it to have a free movement policy with South America than with EUROPE.

If you don't see that well then there's no talking to you. And Argentina has every right to block trade with you. Every nation has every right to choose who it does business with, just like the US and CUBA embargo.
I don't think anyone disputed that, Argentina can do whatever they like, as long as they don't stage another illegal occupation of the Falklands.

They follow EU law due to being an overseas territory, the EU law isn't really an "opt out" sort of thing.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:25 AM #110
75% Trish

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB14: Charlie
75% Trish

Favourites (more):

I don't think having this on every border to the country is really helping the issue either
Old 03-03-2012, 11:29 AM #111

This isn't even about just UK and Argentina anymore, This is about Europe thinking they are still colonial masters over all of The Americas. North America, South America, and the Caribbean, Europe should have NOTHING to say to us anymore.

The Western Hemisphere is FREE now, get OVER IT!

Last edited by lostalex; 03-03-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:31 AM #112
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:

Sorry where are these Malvinas you talk about?

You might think you are being awfully clever going with the Spanish name personally I think it make you look a bit foolish(intentionally mispelt).

Immigration policy for EU countries has been tucked and shaped by EU over the last few years- didnt you realise that? And yes we know the Falkland Islands is in the South Atlantic its one of those strange little anomylies that happens when we you have owned half the world.

Of course they can decide who they want to trade with, just as we can decide we dont want to trade with Argentina, we could also decide to stop giving the Aid packages we give, those arent given on a conditional agreement that they are nice to us, nor are they written in stone.

I wonder how they would feel if we just upsticks and pulled out all businesses and investments we have in Argentina, think we are currently about 6th on their list of overseas investors, should spoil thier economists year.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:42 AM #113
75% Trish

Favourites (more):
75% Trish

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Sorry where are these Malvinas you talk about?

You might think you are being awfully clever going with the Spanish name personally I think it make you look a bit foolish(intentionally mispelt).

Immigration policy for EU countries has been tucked and shaped by EU over the last few years- didnt you realise that? And yes we know the Falkland Islands is in the South Atlantic its one of those strange little anomylies that happens when we you have owned half the world.

Of course they can decide who they want to trade with, just as we can decide we dont want to trade with Argentina, we could also decide to stop giving the Aid packages we give, those arent given on a conditional agreement that they are nice to us, nor are they written in stone.

I wonder how they would feel if we just upsticks and pulled out all businesses and investments we have in Argentina, think we are currently about 6th on their list of overseas investors, should spoil thier economists year.
as far as I'm aware, technically the 'Malvinas' is actually derived from a French name, it's not Spanish at all.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:38 PM #114
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruit_cake View Post
as far as I'm aware, technically the 'Malvinas' is actually derived from a French name, it's not Spanish at all.
Hate to burst your balloon Fruit cake.

The word may have been derived from a French word originally, but it was changed and is now and has been in use in Spanish speaking countries for a long long time.

Technically that makes its a Spanish word.

Interestingly enough the islands were named after the sound in 1690. By an Englishman using the name Falkland. French Settler's werent there till around 1760.

Another interesting fact this time about languages, about 28% of the English language is derived from French words, does that mean we stop calling those affected words english ones?
Old 03-03-2012, 12:45 PM #115
Jesus.

Jesus.

Another interesting fact - Argentina didn't really exist in it's current state when the English first inhabited the islands, so we can't really use the fact that we were there longer, as any kind of argument.

If Argentinians were occupying an important island (in terms of potential resources) fairly close to the UK, then we'd be screaming blue murder.

Last edited by Jesus.; 03-03-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:50 PM #116
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
This isn't even about just UK and Argentina anymore, This is about Europe thinking they are still colonial masters over all of The Americas. North America, South America, and the Caribbean, Europe should have NOTHING to say to us anymore.

The Western Hemisphere is FREE now, get OVER IT!
The Falklands is in the Southern Hemisphere.

Silly boy the Eastern/Western hemisphere thing doesnt apply to us Brits, we made the damn lines up and are ballsy enough to straddle the divide between East and West. (The Prime Meridian which divides east from west in this man made constrict is in fact the Greenwhich meridian which flows through, yes thats right Greenwich London)

Go look it up, then away to your room wee man and study a little more, you have a nasty wee habit of engaging fingers before brain.

Last edited by Shasown; 03-03-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:11 PM #117
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus.H.Christ View Post
Another interesting fact - Argentina didn't really exist in it's current state when the English first inhabited the islands, so we can't really use the fact that we were there longer, as any kind of argument.

If Argentinians were occupying an important island (in terms of potential resources) fairly close to the UK, then we'd be screaming blue murder.
Whilst there are no Argentinians occupying any important islands up here, we do have other neighbours who we allow to run thier own countries, you know like France and Germany even the Spanish.

What part of self determination are people, like the Argentinian govenrment etc failing to understand.

It wasnt too hard to understand when they wanted it for themselves while living under the various dictators and juntas they have had to bear over the last hundred years or so.

Seems like lessons may need repeating.

Last edited by Shasown; 03-03-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:29 PM #118
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
8000 miles from the UK.
I know that. However, I don't think that simply because it's closer to Argentina they should have dibs on it. The bottom line for me is that the Islanders themselves want to remain British. If they ever change their minds, Argentina and the UK should talk.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:50 PM #119

Quote:

Interesting fact, Great Britain really didn't exist in it's current ENGLISH form for thousands of years, Britain was CEltic before the Germanic Anglo's came along, so give back Britain to the Celts too plzzz.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:53 PM #120
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Interesting fact, Great Britain really didn't exist in it's current ENGLISH form for thousands of years, Britain was CEltic before the Germanic Anglo's came along, so give back Britain to the Celts too plzzz.
Err.. that post was actually arguing in favour of giving Argentina the Falklands
Old 03-03-2012, 01:58 PM #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Err.. that post was actually arguing in favour of giving Argentina the Falklands
it'sa almost 7am here, and i havn't slept, it's very unfair of you to expect me to still make sense.

Last edited by lostalex; 03-03-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:02 PM #122
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Fair enough, should go hit the hay
Old 03-03-2012, 02:05 PM #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Fair enough, should go hit the hay
you speak the truth.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:14 PM #124
Jesus.

Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I know that. However, I don't think that simply because it's closer to Argentina they should have dibs on it. The bottom line for me is that the Islanders themselves want to remain British. If they ever change their minds, Argentina and the UK should talk.
What do you think a British government would say about it if the roles were reversed. Why can't the islanders remain British, but the land be Argentinian?

Nationality is a different issue altogether. It is land that our empire claimed by sticking a flag in it, it doesn't make sense in the modern world.

If I go and live in Argentina now, I would still be British, there is no law that would make them have to change their nationality. The people are British, because they come from a long line of Brits, and they've maintained a "British" way of life. Ex-pats have communities around the world on foreign soil.

I personally think that a dual ownership agreement might be beneficial to us. Brazil support Argentina (as does most of S.America), and they are about to become a powerhouse on the world stage. If we're not careful, we'll be hounded out of there in 50 years with nothing to show for it.

Strike up a trade agreement, and work together.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:17 PM #125
Jesus.

Jesus.

Quote:
Whilst there are no Argentinians occupying any important islands up here, we do have other neighbours who we allow to run thier own countries, you know like France and Germany even the Spanish.

What part of self determination are people, like the Argentinian govenrment etc failing to understand.

It wasnt too hard to understand when they wanted it for themselves while living under the various dictators and juntas they have had to bear over the last hundred years or so.

Seems like lessons may need repeating.
You have it a bit skewed. Moving people across the world to a different part of the globe, doesn't suddenly make that land British soil. Using the arguments of neighboring countries does your argument no favours either, as it's a bit nonsensical.

The Argentinians wanted self determination from their own fascist Junta, but they were still living in their own country at the time, they just wanted a change of politics.

Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
argentina, ban, falklands, firms, operating, threatens