Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

The X Factor 2004-'08 [S1-5] Discussion of previous series (2004-2008) and the contestants. Winners were Steve Brookstein, Shayne Ward, Leona Lewis, Leon Jackson and Alexandra Burke.

Old 20-12-2005, 04:55 PM #26
Z

Z

I think he's a weak singer too, but he'd have gotten the votes that Shayne received for (OMG I LOVE SHAYNE HE'S SO FIT LOLZ) Factor.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-12-2005, 06:39 PM #27

By the way, although I do think that Shayne's looks definitely helped him in this competition, I didn't mean to imply in my previous post that he had no talent. I do think he has talent, although no more talent than either Andy or Journey South. Admittedly he will definitely appeal to a wider audience than Andy would have done, but that's a whole different issue to talent. As for Journey South, I honestly think that out of all three finalists, they are the act with the best chance of longevity. Latest news I heard is that they have been given a record deal (which was inevitable), so maybe we'll be able to come back and compare notes in a year or so!

To be honest, I did think that Andy performed That's My Goal better than Shayne on Saturday night, although I did only have half of each song to compare, because halfway through each rendition, I got so bored of the song that I fast forwarded through to the end. I ended up feeling relieved on behalf of Journey South that they don't have to release that drivel as their first single.

Apparently Shayne has said that he is happy to release whatever Simon wants him to, and if Simon wants him to release an album of cover versions he will be happy to do so. Well of course he would be - he's a 20(?) year old lad who believes that he has just been given the ticket to a better life. I honestly wish him well. However, I do hope that Simon doesn't send him down the route of syrupy ballads and un-necessary cover versions, because if he does, I think in a year's time, we will all be saying, "Shayne who?" But with the right song choices, he has a chance of success.

I did want Journey South to win, because I thought that they were the most talented act in the competition. However, previous competitions of this ilk have shown that it isn't always the winner who does best out of it. Lemar, Girls Aloud and Liberty X all came second (third in Lemar's case) and all have subssequently done better than the acts who beat them (don't ask me to explain how Girls Aloud manage to have continued success - I think they are one of the least talented acts I have ever had the misfortune to hear).

So I guess only time will tell what lies in store for the three finalists. I doubt we will hear much from Andy, which is a shame, because when he was good he was excellent. Shayne could do well, providing that Simon gives him some good songs to sing, and Journey Sout - I'm optimistic for them!
Ruth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-12-2005, 07:51 PM #28

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruth
By the way, although I do think that Shayne's looks definitely helped him in this competition, I didn't mean to imply in my previous post that he had no talent. I do think he has talent, although no more talent than either Andy or Journey South. Admittedly he will definitely appeal to a wider audience than Andy would have done, but that's a whole different issue to talent. As for Journey South, I honestly think that out of all three finalists, they are the act with the best chance of longevity. Latest news I heard is that they have been given a record deal (which was inevitable), so maybe we'll be able to come back and compare notes in a year or so!

To be honest, I did think that Andy performed That's My Goal better than Shayne on Saturday night, although I did only have half of each song to compare, because halfway through each rendition, I got so bored of the song that I fast forwarded through to the end. I ended up feeling relieved on behalf of Journey South that they don't have to release that drivel as their first single.

Apparently Shayne has said that he is happy to release whatever Simon wants him to, and if Simon wants him to release an album of cover versions he will be happy to do so. Well of course he would be - he's a 20(?) year old lad who believes that he has just been given the ticket to a better life. I honestly wish him well. However, I do hope that Simon doesn't send him down the route of syrupy ballads and un-necessary cover versions, because if he does, I think in a year's time, we will all be saying, "Shayne who?" But with the right song choices, he has a chance of success.

I did want Journey South to win, because I thought that they were the most talented act in the competition. However, previous competitions of this ilk have shown that it isn't always the winner who does best out of it. Lemar, Girls Aloud and Liberty X all came second (third in Lemar's case) and all have subssequently done better than the acts who beat them (don't ask me to explain how Girls Aloud manage to have continued success - I think they are one of the least talented acts I have ever had the misfortune to hear).

So I guess only time will tell what lies in store for the three finalists. I doubt we will hear much from Andy, which is a shame, because when he was good he was excellent. Shayne could do well, providing that Simon gives him some good songs to sing, and Journey Sout - I'm optimistic for them!
I think Journey South could do well if they release their own material and people like it. If they go down the route of just doing Bon Jovi covers then they will not last very long.I hope they can produce some good original song's, it would perhaps be better for them to wait a while and write an album that they are happy with and then bring it out rather than a rush job.I think they were better off not winning tbh like Lemar, Liberty X and G4.,

Girls Aloud never really came 2nd as their was no proper winner of popstars the rivals.

Shayne has the potential to do really well should they provide him with the right song choices. I agree that if he get's a load of covers he may well be finished before he's even started but I'm sure Simon will get some good writers for him. The real test will be the 2nd album for him imo, Will Young and Lemar wrote some good quality song's on their albums, will Shayne be able to follow suit? I suppose he may go down the route of Westlife when it come's to song's though and it might prove successful, we will have to wait and see.

I really hope Andy get's a record deal, I think he's got an absolutely brilliant voice and I'm sure I would buy his album, I remain optimistic he will get a deal because he was a very close 2nd and obviously has quite a few fan's.

The level of talent in the final 12 this year was much better than last year. I fear a few talented artists may not get a record deal though because they did not reach the final.
Dan_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-12-2005, 09:56 PM #29

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Ricky Norwood
Strictly 2016: Greg Rutherford

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Ricky Norwood
Strictly 2016: Greg Rutherford

Yeah i agree with Dan I hope that andy gets a record deal and also Jourrney South not to mention a few others. Im going to the tour in February so ill be able to form my own opinions then. Regarding Girls Aloud they won because the winner of popstars the rivals was the 1 who got the Christmas number 1 which GA did. Its always intresting to see who does the best as well
BigSister is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-12-2005, 10:46 PM #30

Quote:

Talent alone doesn't tend to do you many favours in the music business, though. Charisma is as much, if not more of a factor, and in that department, Andy's a loser and Journey South would be found severely lacking. I'd be surprised if any major labels took a chance on Journey South, unless they've been sitting on some pretty remarkable self-penned tunes all this time without anyone noticing. They may get signed and release an album consisting mostly or entirely of covers, but it would be a daring move indeed to release an album of original material from them, and not one that any of the majors seem likely to gamble on.

I've said all along that Andy has a fantastic voice, but his biggest stumbling block has always been that he has the 'so what?' factor rather than the X Factor. The arrangement, as well as the vocal styling, of course differed for each of them. When you listen to the structure of the song itself, it screams musical theatre. That's perhaps why some seem to like it, and some don't - not many seem to be saying 'it's a good song, but not really my scene'. When Shayne sang it last Saturday, as it built to its dramatic conclusion, it crossed my mind what an achievement it was on his part not to blush at the sheer tackiness of the song, and I wanted it to end for his sake. When Andy sang it, I wanted it to end for my own sake. I'd sooner massage my ears with nettles than endure that ever again.

Simon said on Saturday that they'd been getting calls from respected (his interpretation, not mine) songwriters, offering to write for Shayne. Normally, they'd have been approached and asked if they'd be interested. So that sounds promising at least, even though it in no way guarantees quality material will be the outcome. But at least it dismisses the possibility of an album of covers being released. I suppose that they'll put a few of the most popular songs he performed during the series on the album, but he only sang 9 anyway and 3 of them are already on the single. I'm sure if he's successful, by the time it comes to planning his second album he'll have a lot more bargaining power.

I think Girls Aloud's appeal is pretty obvious. Young girls want to be them (or to have the clothes, glamour and styling that comes with the package) and boys/men want them - full stop. I do think that that they have talent as well, even though they don't appeal to me personally. They could easily get away with being a trio, but the whole idea was to appeal to as many demographics as possible, as it was with the Spice Girls before them. We're always hearing claims that they mime and/or can't cut it live. I can't really comment on that, as I hardly follow their career closely. But I've seen the likes of Kelly Clarkson & Christina Aguilera perform live (on tv) and deliver appalling performances - yet nobody ever doubts their ability. And we know that they can indeed all sing, because we saw them doing so every week on Popstars: The Rivals. The songs that they're given to record are extremely well-crafted pop - you don't have to declare yourself a fan or buy their material to appreciate that.
CharlotteSometimes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-12-2005, 12:18 AM #31

I remember watching the Popstars: The Rivals live shows and thinking at the time that none of the girls that got in the group were particulary good singers. Javine was better than any of them, and three of One True Voice were actually quite talented.

The contestants in that show only had to get in the final ten to get through to a recording deal. Someone like Cheryl Tweedy woudn't have got far on another show.

I thought in The X Factor that vocally Andy is the equal, at least, of Shayne. We have to be realistic though about how much support a record company will give someone who is launching his musical career in his 40s and has made his name singing songs from the 1950s. A record company will think there is a market for a record of covers and no more. A Robson and Jerome type thing (which did sell a lot).

I pretty much enjoyed The X Factor but I fealt getting disillusioned with it towards the end. That was partly, I think, to do with the circumstances surrounding Maria getting voted off, and partly because that thing Louis Walsh did where he resigned and then 'changed his mind'.

Shayne winning makes me feel not bothered in a way also because, I believe, it's the first time the judges' favourite has won one of these singing talent shows. The public usually makes a point of voting of voting for someone that goes against the grain in someway.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-12-2005, 08:12 AM #32

I forgot that Girls Aloud got the number one. I thought One True Voice had got it and then sunk without trace. Whoops!
Old 21-12-2005, 08:23 AM #33

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlotteSometimes
Talent alone doesn't tend to do you many favours in the music business, though. Charisma is as much, if not more of a factor, and in that department, Andy's a loser and Journey South would be found severely lacking.
Well, that's kind of what I was saying when I said that Shayne would appeal to a wider audience than Andy. And there's no doubting that for a lot of people, Shayne's looks and style are his appeal - which is why I said that Shayne's looks had helped him in the competition. But what's new? I've been a fan of Duran Duran for about 20 years, and when I was about 14 years of age, I honestly thought I would marry John Taylor one day (if he's reading, I'd still consider it)! But I liked their music too, and still do. A lot of their appeal was their looks, but it doesn't mean that they had no talent.

Quote:
I'd be surprised if any major labels took a chance on Journey South, unless they've been sitting on some pretty remarkable self-penned tunes all this time without anyone noticing. They may get signed and release an album consisting mostly or entirely of covers, but it would be a daring move indeed to release an album of original material from them, and not one that any of the majors seem likely to gamble on.
I've heard that it's actually Simon Cowell who has signed them. So what I said about hoping that he doesn't send Shayne down the route of syrupy ballads and un-necessary cover versions would also apply to them. It was someone at work who told me that Simon had signed them - it may or may not be right, but it wouldn't surprise me if he had taken them on.

Quote:
I've said all along that Andy has a fantastic voice, but his biggest stumbling block has always been that he has the 'so what?' factor rather than the X Factor. The arrangement, as well as the vocal styling, of course differed for each of them. When you listen to the structure of the song itself, it screams musical theatre. That's perhaps why some seem to like it, and some don't - not many seem to be saying 'it's a good song, but not really my scene'. When Shayne sang it last Saturday, as it built to its dramatic conclusion, it crossed my mind what an achievement it was on his part not to blush at the sheer tackiness of the song, and I wanted it to end for his sake. When Andy sang it, I wanted it to end for my own sake. I'd sooner massage my ears with nettles than endure that ever again.
Purely a matter of opinion though - some people love the song - I hated it, when both of them sang it. I just thought Andy sang it better.

Quote:
Simon said on Saturday that they'd been getting calls from respected (his interpretation, not mine) songwriters, offering to write for Shayne.
But you've posted a few times during the course of the show that Simon has told lies and been dishonest. If that's right, how do you know whether he was being honest or not when he said this?

Quote:
I think Girls Aloud's appeal is pretty obvious. Young girls want to be them (or to have the clothes, glamour and styling that comes with the package) and boys/men want them - full stop.
Yes their appeal is obvious. I was being sarcastic before, but I honestly don't think they have much talent.

Quote:
The songs that they're given to record are extremely well-crafted pop - you don't have to declare yourself a fan or buy their material to appreciate that.
I didn't watch Popstars (X Factor is the first show of this ilk that I have watched), but judging from what I've seen and heard of GA since, I don't think they are talented. There are plenty of people who I do think are talented, but whose music I don't like. I don't think that everyone whose music I don't enjoy has got no talent.

The songs that they are given certainly are well crafted pop - that is a testament to the talent of the songwriters, not GA themselves.
Old 21-12-2005, 12:22 PM #34
Z

Z

Girls Aloud have been marketed well, and haven't had a turkey yet. They're the only band to come out of any talent shows as winners, and actually become winners. I mean Hear Say collapsed, Michelle McManus.. pfft. Will Young is too inconsistent in releasing songs. He's got his own agenda. Brookstein. Well, we all know about that one. Waiting to see what Shayne can do!
Old 21-12-2005, 04:20 PM #35

Will Young inconsistenet in releasing songs? What's that supposed to mean?

Every single he's released has gone top 10 and he's had 3 succesful albums.He's been more succesful in terms of sales and chart posistions than Girls Aloud yet you call them winners, I don't see your logic.
Old 22-12-2005, 06:24 AM #36

Will Young has been very successful.

Regarding what I said earlier about Simon signing Journey South, it is true - he has signed them.
Old 22-12-2005, 09:05 AM #37

Quote:

But you've posted a few times during the course of the show that Simon has told lies and been dishonest. If that's right, how do you know whether he was being honest or not when he said this?

The songs that they are given certainly are well crafted pop - that is a testament to the talent of the songwriters, not GA themselves.
Well, we'll know the answer to that in March. Apparently, he's already had the fastest selling single this year, and the most (legally) downloaded single ever in the UK (according to local news last night). His own mother was queuing to have her copy of his single signed, for some strange reason.

True, but the songs don't sing or front themselves. A quick Google search revealed that they wrote a song each on their second album, which isn't bad considering that the standard version had just 12 tracks.
CharlotteSometimes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-12-2005, 03:51 PM #38

I'd be very surprised if they each wrote a song - arew we expected to believe that all of them are songwriters now, as well? Didn't the Spice Girls get a songwriting credit for Wannabee, when in fact the only line they wrote was "Zig a zig ah"?!
Old 22-12-2005, 04:13 PM #39
Z

Z

**By inconsistent I mean in releasing songs. He waits months on end. Sorry if that confused you!
Old 22-12-2005, 06:33 PM #40

Ah right, yer I agree with that, on his last album there was quite big gaps between releases. Think he's changing that for this album lol.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
2005, shayne, txf, winner