Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Announcements / Suggestions / Help Announcements from Admin, member suggestions and forum help

Closed Thread

Old 13-02-2007, 05:44 PM #26
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Are you demeaned every time you use Word? That has a spell checker facility. Even my web mail has a spell checker .

And I went to a normal comprehensive school, not a public school.
Old 13-02-2007, 05:52 PM #27

I don't have the spell checker on when I use Word anyway because its annoying.
Old 13-02-2007, 05:53 PM #28

I'm sorry but its hardly a crime to spell the odd word incorrectly. I have had years and years of people picking up on my spelling and I dont need to come onto a friendly forum when my mistakes are being picked up...... this sort of a thread has been started before a couple of months ago about forum members not using they're. there and their correctly.

I dont pick up on other peoples disabilities so please dont pick up on mine.
Old 13-02-2007, 06:00 PM #29

as long as people who i want to read my post can i aint arsed
Old 13-02-2007, 06:32 PM #30

My dyslexia is awful ,and has always been an accute embarrassment for me.Words actually seem to move when I read and I have spent a lifetime trying to solve the problem.You would be amazed at some of the words I have to check,and often they are right, but just look wrong.I do use spell check and will try and get this firefox installed.
The reason I wanted to post was because I was pleased to notice that members seem to see that there is a bigger picture as to why it is so much harder for some to spell than others, like a million and one other things in this world.
Old 14-02-2007, 05:53 AM #31

Favourites:
BB12: Anton
X Factor 2011: The Risk

Favourites:
BB12: Anton
X Factor 2011: The Risk

Some people have trouble spelling including myself, i don't see why we need a spell check aslong as people don't use text speech it should be fine, i don't see a rule that say's spell properly so i don't see what the problem is.
Old 14-02-2007, 06:56 AM #32
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

A specially crafted script can be likened to making specially crafted furniture out of wood. Words are our tools. How can you make good furniture or good capentry if your tools are blunt or broken?. I have just used two words which sound the same but convey two different meanings there "our" and "are" If you mix up the two you can scramble meaning. If you were submitting a paper for an exam or a letter applying for a job, would spelling "not matter" so long as you were understood?

A spell checking utility only helps people, and nobody need ever know one was used. Even I have to consult the spell checker or a dictionary occasionally.

Sometimes it is quite hard to read postings here, either because of text messaging language or because of the spelling. In this global community we have those whose first language is not English, and poor spelling is an additional barrier to their communication
Old 14-02-2007, 09:17 AM #33

And that's todays lesson over with kiddywinks. Maybe you should move into the 21st century Sticks and stop going on about values when you were at school. Remember, you are a lot older than many people on here (40 yrs of age I believe, correct me if I'm wrong). The education system is a lot different nowadays to when we were at school (I myself being 38 yrs old). Whilst I applaud you wanting everyone to take time to try and better themselves at spelling, there are many reasons people have problems with this. I try to make sure my posts are gramatically correct, even editing them if I notice a spelling or punctuation error. But I can also understand text message language etc, and have never had a problem reading a post.
Old 14-02-2007, 10:10 AM #34

Quote:
Originally posted by Sticks
A specially crafted script can be likened to making specially crafted furniture out of wood. Words are our tools. How can you make good furniture or good capentry if your tools are blunt or broken?. I have just used two words which sound the same but convey two different meanings there "our" and "are" If you mix up the two you can scramble meaning. If you were submitting a paper for an exam or a letter applying for a job, would spelling "not matter" so long as you were understood?

A spell checking utility only helps people, and nobody need ever know one was used. Even I have to consult the spell checker or a dictionary occasionally.

Sometimes it is quite hard to read postings here, either because of text messaging language or because of the spelling. In this global community we have those whose first language is not English, and poor spelling is an additional barrier to their communication
capentry is spelt carpentry.

You should have used a more accurate adjective than "quite" at the start of the third paragraph.

There should have been a full stop at the end of the last sentence.

Overall 8 out of 10. Sorry you don't get the Job of English Teacher.
Old 14-02-2007, 10:14 AM #35

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Moon
Quote:

capentry is spelt carpentry.

You should have used a more accurate adjective than "quite" at the start of the third paragraph.

There should have been a full stop at the end of the last sentence.

Overall 8 out of 10. Sorry you don't get the Job of English Teacher.

Well spotted! PMSL! Don't you just find that sooooo ironic. Didn't you use your spellchecker Sticks??!!
Old 14-02-2007, 10:19 AM #36

Quote:
A specially crafted script can be likened to making specially crafted furniture out of wood. Words are our tools. How can you make good furniture, or good carpentry, if your tools are blunt or broken?. I have just used two words, which sound the same, but convey two different meanings. there "our" and "are". If you mix up the two you can scramble the meaning. If you were submitting a paper for an exam, or a letter applying for a job, would spelling "not matter" so long as you were understood?

Sometimes it is quite hard to read postings here, either because of text messaging language or because of the spelling. In this global community we have those whose first language is not English, and poor spelling is an additional barrier to their communication.

I had to point out some other errors that have been highlighted above also! there should be They're, and there is an awful lot of punctuation missing. I would only give 5 out of 10, due to the 10 mistakes I noticed. You are not a very good role model are you Sticks? Practise what you preach! It could also be argued that you need more commas in there, to control the flow of speech.
Old 14-02-2007, 10:27 AM #37
can't nobody hold us down

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Joe McElderry

can't nobody hold us down

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Joe McElderry

PMSL!!!! Wow. How ironic.
Old 14-02-2007, 10:59 AM #38

The point is Sticks this is a forum and not schoolroom. It's not pleasant to have your posts taken apart and analyzed for spelling mistakes or grammatical mistakes.

As someone has pointed out in a previous post if you want to use a spell checker on the site switch to using Firefox. Adding one to the forum would only take up the servers processing power and slow down the site.
Old 14-02-2007, 11:13 AM #39
Administrator

Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Moon
As someone has pointed out in a previous post if you want to use a spell checker on the site switch to using Firefox. Adding one to the forum would only take up the servers processing power and slow down the site.
Absolutely.

And on that note, as the original question has now been answered, and before things start to get too personal as they did the last time this topic was discussed, I'll close the thread.
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
checker, spell