Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 21-04-2017, 06:20 PM #1
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Default Rises to Tax, NI and VAT

but no cut in Foreign Aid

Thanks Teresa!
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 07:43 PM #2
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Old 21-04-2017, 08:06 PM #3

Quote:
General election 2017: No cut to UK aid spending, says May
3 hours ago

Theresa May has ruled out cuts to the UK foreign aid budget if she wins the election but doubts have been cast on other existing Conservative pledges.

The prime minister said the commitment to spending 0.7% of national income on aid "will remain" although it must be spent "in the most effective way".

It follows speculation she was ready to drop it from the Tory manifesto.

But she declined to guarantee existing spending on state pensions which ensures a minimum 2.5% annual increase.

Meanwhile, Chancellor Philip Hammond has hinted that a pledge in the 2015 Conservative manifesto not to raise income tax, VAT or National Insurance before 2020 could be abandoned.

The 0.7% aid commitment was adopted by David Cameron when he became prime minister in 2010 and later enshrined in law.

The UK has met the international target - which originates in United Nations aspirations from the 1970s - every year since 2013. There has been talk it might be among a number of high-profile policies championed by Mrs May's predecessor that she might drop to ease pressure on the public finances.

But asked about its future at an election campaign event in Berkshire, Mrs May said: "Let's be clear, the 0.7% commitment remains and will remain.

"What we need to do though is look at how that money is spent and make sure that we are able to spend that money in the most effective way."

Former chancellor George Osborne welcomed Mrs May's pledge, tweeting that it was the "morally right" thing to do and would maintain the UK's global "influence".

Leading aid organisations, including Unicef and Save The Children, expressed delight at the development, which comes 24 hours after Microsoft founder and philanthropist Bill Gates warned that ending the commitment would cost lives.

But the Taxpayers Alliance campaign group said it was disappointed that the "arbitrary and meaningless" target was not being dispensed with.

Foreign aid has been ringfenced from public spending cuts over the past seven years and has been one of the few areas to see a large increase in budgets.

In 2015, the last year for which figures are available, the UK spent £12.1bn on overseas development assistance. This was projected to rise to £13.3bn in 2016.
'Better off'

This has proved unpopular with some Tory MPs at a time of austerity in domestic public services and amid media reports about waste in certain aid projects.

The BBC's political correspondent Chris Mason said a senior Conservative source, familiar with the aid budget, refused to be drawn as to whether this amounted to an acceptance of how aid spending is currently defined, or could potentially include a broadening of what would count as aid spending in future.

Asked about another of the Conservatives' 2015 election manifesto commitments - the so-called "triple lock" on the state pension which guarantees an annual rise of at least 2.5% - Mrs May declined to confirm it would stay in force.

"What I would say to pensioners, is just look what the Conservatives in government have done," she said.

"Pensioners today, £1,250 a year better off as a result of action that has been taken. We were very clear about the need to support people in their old age and that's exactly what we've done".

The triple lock - which pegs the state pension to annual increases in prices or earnings, whichever is higher, or a minimum of 2.5% - was introduced by the Conservative-Lib Dem coalition government in 2010.

A review carried out by the former CBI boss John Cridland earlier this year recommended it be ended. He warned that if it remained in place, an extra 1% of GDP - equivalent to £19.5bn in current prices - would probably have to be spent on pensions by 2036-37.

Labour, which has vowed to retain the lock and other pensioner benefits such as the winter fuel allowance if elected, said its opponents were "abandoning older people".

Speaking in Washington DC, Mr Hammond also cast doubt on David Cameron's 2015 pledge not to raise income tax, VAT or National Insurance before 2020.

He told the BBC that while no final decision had been taken, the government needed "flexibility" on taxes.

The BBC's economics editor Kamal Ahmed said it was the clearest hint yet that Mr Hammond - who was forced to backtrack on his proposed Budget rise in NI contributions for the self-employed - would like to see the promise significantly amended if not ditched altogether.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39670703
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 08:17 PM #4
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Risking the gray vote?....she must have this election rigged then as that would be political suicide.
Old 21-04-2017, 08:40 PM #5

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:

Double lock pensions would be much fairer.
In line with inflation or wages sounds good, when nurses are being offered 1% some pensioners will feel quite guilty automatically getting 2.5% year on year, especially as it tends to help out the better off pensioners on the new pension rather than the older pensioners on the old scheme.
Quite happy for the overseas aid not to be reduced this year, far too many countries in need at the minute with war and famine, however I would like to see it used better and perhaps reduced in more stable years.
As to the taxes, I will hold back until it is all officially announced.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 08:52 PM #6
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

It would seem they are expecting bad news for the economy hinting at these changes.
It's only 2 years ago recall,they promised no changes to these areas of policy for the next 5 years from 2015 at least.

Is this why she is really having an election, as she knows the bad news to come as to the economy after 7 years of Conservative led rule and endless austerity cuts.

Last edited by joeysteele; 21-04-2017 at 08:53 PM.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 09:00 PM #7
Lion Queen

Favourites (more):
BB14: Dexter
I'm a Celeb 2012: David Haye
Lion Queen

Favourites (more):
BB14: Dexter
I'm a Celeb 2012: David Haye

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
In line with inflation or wages sounds good, when nurses are being offered 1% some pensioners will feel quite guilty automatically getting 2.5% year on year, especially as it tends to help out the better off pensioners on the new pension rather than the older pensioners on the old scheme.
Quite happy for the overseas aid not to be reduced this year, far too many countries in need at the minute with war and famine, however I would like to see it used better and perhaps reduced in more stable years.
I feel the aid should be reduced and given back to our country like our NHS and to help the disabled and homeless.

Me
Tozzie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 09:03 PM #8

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post
I feel the aid should be reduced and given back to our country like our NHS and to help the disabled and homeless.
I would agree with this normally Tozzie, but I feel we need to try and help the refugees that are actually in Syria, or people suffering famine through war and famine, however I don't agree with sending it to India or any African dictators.
Old 21-04-2017, 09:12 PM #9
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
oh please, what happened to the JAMs the just about managing Teresa was so concerned about 9 months ago, and as for holding off for an official announcement I think we got it at the last budget with the NI increases they tried to put through for self employed until it was pointed out it was an election pledge not to raise NI .... and you want the nurses to get an extra 1.5 per cent only for it to be clawed back through VAT, NI and tax rises...okay

Last edited by Cherie; 21-04-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 21-04-2017, 09:13 PM #10
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree.
Absolutely right.
Old 21-04-2017, 09:17 PM #11
User banned

User banned

Quote:
I agree Tozzie, charity begins at home - we need the money ourselves.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 09:23 PM #12
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Risking the gray vote?....she must have this election rigged then as that would be political suicide.

she is looking at the polls...Cameron got a majority because his policies appealed, can't see foreign aid being held while rising taxes at home being a vote winner personally
Old 21-04-2017, 09:25 PM #13

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
oh please, what happened to the JAMs the just about managing Teresa was so concerned about 9 months ago, and as for holding off for an official announcement I think we got it at the last budget with the NI increases they tried to put through for self employed until it was pointed out it was an election pledge not to raise NI .... and you want the nurses to get an extra 1.5 per cent only for it to be clawed back through VAT, NI and tax rises...okay

I don't want any tax rises, full stop.
I would like the nurses to get the same pay rise as the pensioners...but reality tells me we can't afford it
Old 21-04-2017, 09:31 PM #14
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I don't want any tax rises, full stop.
I would like the nurses to get the same pay rise as the pensioners...but reality tells me we can't afford it
we can't afford much can we, we can't afford decent social care for our elderly, we can't afford to fund our disabled, yet we are all taxed to the hilt and about to be taxed more, its nothing more than a national scandal that energy bills are vat rated, heating is hardly a luxury! , but we still afford the same percentage of foreign aid, makes no sense to me, direct the aid where it is needed most, let the charities who rake in further millions make up the rest.
Old 21-04-2017, 09:35 PM #15
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
she is looking at the polls...Cameron got a majority because his policies appealed, can't see foreign aid being held while rising taxes at home being a vote winner personally
One would hope it would lose her votes but if taking shockingly near £30 a week off sick and disabled people in the ESA (wrag) group, still gets this rotten Govt.support, then that may be doubtful.
Old 21-04-2017, 09:39 PM #16

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
we can't afford much can we, we can't afford decent social care for our elderly, we can't afford to fund our disabled, yet we are all taxed to the hilt and about to be taxed more, its nothing more than a national scandal that energy bills are vat rated, heating is hardly a luxury! , but we still afford the same percentage of foreign aid, makes no sense to me, direct the aid where it is needed most, let the charities who rake in further millions make up the rest.
I agree with the public shouldn't be paying VAT on fuel, it is not a luxury, the ruddy energy companies should pay it all. ( after all it is them that are making the profits at our cost) .
Old 22-04-2017, 07:32 AM #17
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

The simple fact they are not now clearly ruling these changes out, in my view is a testing the water exercise to explore the best way to word,plan ad cloud any thinking to backtrack on the policies.
If they had no thinking as to changing the triple lock or possible tax rises,a simple 'no changes at all' would have sufficed.

The fact they have muddled these issues should speak volumes,I myself for one suppose certainly,as to a hidden agenda.
Old 22-04-2017, 07:47 AM #18

I am drawing up plans as we speak to add V.A.T to every poem I write - delboy told me - this time tomoz - I am going to have no hair
waterhog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 10:48 AM #19

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

To be fair this is only hearsay ATM. There is no real evidence that it's going to happen.

It's funny because you often see people say they'd happily pay more tax to fund the NHS but when it comes down to it people often get really upset when there is a sniff of raised taxes. I think it would be fairer to raise taxes a touch than rob the disabled or elderly personally. And I'm sure those bleeding hearts on the forum who were shouting recently about our foreign aid being vital will be delighted to pay some more tax to cover it. Won't you?

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 22-04-2017 at 10:50 AM.
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 11:11 AM #20
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
To be fair this is only hearsay ATM. There is no real evidence that it's going to happen.

It's funny because you often see people say they'd happily pay more tax to fund the NHS but when it comes down to it people often get really upset when there is a sniff of raised taxes. I think it would be fairer to raise taxes a touch than rob the disabled or elderly personally. And I'm sure those bleeding hearts on the forum who were shouting recently about our foreign aid being vital will be delighted to pay some more tax to cover it. Won't you?
There has already been hike in council tax though, 5.5 per cent (3 per cent to pay for social care) in my Borough in addition to an extra 50 quid to pick up green waste, and what about all the money we are going to save in two years time when we no longer pay into the EU? Where will that money go?

Last edited by Cherie; 22-04-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 22-04-2017, 11:38 AM #21
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
There has already been hike in council tax though, 5.5 per cent (3 per cent to pay for social care) in my Borough in addition to an extra 50 quid to pick up green waste, and what about all the money we are going to save in two years time when we no longer pay into the EU? Where will that money go?
Doesn't sound to me like there will be much or any money left from the Brexit, there will,unless this govt.stops doing so,still need the current funds to regions from the EU,still getting those funds once the UK is out.
Old 22-04-2017, 11:46 AM #22
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
Doesn't sound to me like there will be much or any money left from the Brexit, there will,unless this govt.stops doing so,still need the current funds to regions from the EU,still getting those funds once the UK is out.
we will be paying back the bill to leave for years, as well as paying subsidies to that is if they continue to pay them of course...

they government have already reneged on their no tax rises by reducing funding to councils, and now schools where parents will be asked to fund books and items they never previously funded, a nice back door stealth tax
Old 22-04-2017, 12:08 PM #23

another scare story
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 12:13 PM #24
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Tories can probably announce the first annual purge for Feb 2018 and people will still be like 'yh but at least theyre going through with brexit, and i dont think corbyn is much of a leader anyway'.
Old 22-04-2017, 01:15 PM #25
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
another scare story
It doesn't need to be any story at all.
All she has to say is she is keeping the promise of 2015 as to the triple lock on pensions.
All Hammond and May need to say is they are sticking to their 2015 promise of no tax rises too.

It is the 'fact' they will not without hesitation give those guarantees, that has fuelled the story and suspicions.

Last edited by joeysteele; 22-04-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
ni, rises, tax, vat