Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:32 PM #26
You know my methods

You know my methods

I think it's great young people have opinions

I just think we shouldn't listen to them till they are at least 30
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:43 PM #27

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

All snowflakes melt eventually and new spring growth appears.
There is hope for us all.
Doesn't matter how old you get you still learn something new on a regular basis..well I do one here that's for sure.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:46 PM #28

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

Jeez,I wish snowflake was the worst i got called at school.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:51 PM #29
Banned

Banned

Like with Anti-PC people often being the most PC people of all, the right coined a phrase in Snowflake that is more apt towards right leaning attitudes than that of the left.

Nothing more snowflakey than your (sadly all too common) typical Right Winger when they are confronted with the thought of diversity.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:39 PM #30
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

i think Vicky summed it up rather well, and I see no correlation with the term and politics directly. It may come up when someone cant stand the heat as it were but to say its right or left wing specifically just reflects ones own bias
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:33 AM #31
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Like with Anti-PC people often being the most PC people of all, the right coined a phrase in Snowflake that is more apt towards right leaning attitudes than that of the left.

Nothing more snowflakey than your (sadly all too common) typical Right Winger when they are confronted with the thought of diversity.
That is such total ballony. If people like you did not constantly try to shut down opposing opinions with petty name-calling and other exclusion attempts, terminology such as snowflakes in its current form would not exist. If you want to place blame for the existence of such terminology you should look closer to home.

Last edited by Brillopad; 07-12-2017 at 05:21 AM.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:47 AM #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
That is such total ballony. If people like you did not constantly try to shut down opposing opinions with petty name-calling and other exclusion attempts, terminology such as snowflakes in its current form would not exist. If you want to place blame for the existence of such terminology you should look closer to home.
There's a difference between shutting down an argument because its verging on the side of racism. You of all the people in here, refuse to take on board any opinions that appose yours; at least when it comes to your ongoing rant about a certain religious group. You may go quiet when your opposes come back with some sort of proof to back up what they are saying but within a few days, the same old hymn sheet starts all over again.Neither of these opinions/debates/rants are 'snowflakey'. This is not what the word 'snowflake' was termed for.

In my mind a 'snowflake' is someone who can't listen or join in a debate about a certain subject because they are too sensitive but will go out of their way to shut that debate down, by other means, because they don't like it.

An example of that could be a debate or conversation about bullying. The 'snowflake' who has in the past been bullied and indeed traumatized by that bullying, does not want to join in this conversation because it triggers all sorts of memories. Instead of walking away as an act of self protection, they hang around and tell everyone that they shouldn't be having this discussion because it upsets them on a personal level. They aren't a snowflake because of what happened to them in the past and they aren't a snowflake because they are traumatized by their past. They are a snowflake because they are shutting down a debate because of their own self pity.

Last edited by DemolitionRed; 07-12-2017 at 06:57 AM.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:03 AM #33
You know my methods

You know my methods

One of the problems is of course social media and virtue signalling

Youngsters (not exclusively but for this example)will pepper their posts with how they want to be perceived based on the current mood of the day. SO they want to be seen as the most inclusive, free-thinking, all encompassing SJW they can to get likes. Hence you get a plethora of "wow, Ant that is NOT COOL" etc comments when they mishear Ant say Avvo and think he says ABBO. Its not that they give a tuppney fck about Aborigines or racism per se but they do care about their friends and followers thinking they do
Old 07-12-2017, 07:17 AM #34

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I first heard it a few years ago.It started out as “special snowflake” and it was for the young American liberal SJW types that thought they deserved some kind of special treatment(i.e a safe space) because their feelings were hurt when they encountered opinions that didn’t match their own liberal ideology.The same people who get triggered by clapping so they click their fingers or use jazz hands to show their appreciation.These are a special kind of liberal from university culture.
The term has expanded abit now though.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:37 AM #35
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
I first heard it a few years ago.It started out as “special snowflake” and it was for the young American liberal SJW types that thought they deserved some kind of special treatment(i.e a safe space) because their feelings were hurt when they encountered opinions that didn’t match their own liberal ideology.The same people who get triggered by clapping so they click their fingers or use jazz hands to show their appreciation.These are a special kind of liberal from university culture.
Thats what I thought it meant actually.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:28 AM #36
-

-

Yep, the idea that it means delicate or easily offended is a misconception / a new adaptation of the meaning... it's originally about the fact (?) that every snowflake crystal has its own slightly different shape and structure and no two are ever the same. It's about uniqueness / "being special in the world" a-la the Fight Club rant;

"You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile"

A counter to the idea that has been IMPOSED ON WESTERN - ESPECIALLY AMERICAN - CHILDREN SINCE THE 80's... that everyone is super-special and unique and can be the best at something (which is obviously, logically, false). But yeah. If millenials are snowflakes, then the blame lies squarely with the people who raised millenials to believe that they are special.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 07-12-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:53 AM #37
You know my methods

You know my methods

YOLO!

Old 07-12-2017, 09:03 AM #38
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Santa View Post
Yep, the idea that it means delicate or easily offended is a misconception / a new adaptation of the meaning... it's originally about the fact (?) that every snowflake crystal has its own slightly different shape and structure and no two are ever the same. It's about uniqueness / "being special in the world" a-la the Fight Club rant;

"You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile"

A counter to the idea that has been IMPOSED ON WESTERN - ESPECIALLY AMERICAN - CHILDREN SINCE THE 80's... that everyone is super-special and unique and can be the best at something (which is obviously, logically, false). But yeah. If millenials are snowflakes, then the blame lies squarely with the people who raised millenials to believe that they are special.
Probably where all the made up genders come from too.

Oliver_W is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:07 AM #39
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Hogfather View Post
Probably where all the made up genders come from too.
I'd be hesitant to say that it's always this... But yes... I do think that a lot of the new "gender or genderless" pronouns and the need to have a seemingly endless list of descriptors on dating / social media profiles is, at least in part, linked to the need to "have something different" and "be unique".

The irony of course being that at this point it has actually become extremely conformist.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:50 AM #40
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Projection.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:55 AM #41
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Santa View Post
I'd be hesitant to say that it's always this... But yes... I do think that a lot of the new "gender or genderless" pronouns and the need to have a seemingly endless list of descriptors on dating / social media profiles is, at least in part, linked to the need to "have something different" and "be unique".

The irony of course being that at this point it has actually become extremely conformist.
I agree with that, tbh. Male, female, Non-binary. That's enough to cover all the boxes.

Pansexuality is something else that bugs me tbh, it's just a pretentious way of saying bisexual and the justification for it is silly, 'oh we aren't attracted to gender, we're attracted to PEOPLE!' that's just bisexuality.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:09 PM #42
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I agree with that, tbh. Male, female, Non-binary. That's enough to cover all the boxes.
tbh I don't even acknowledge "non-binary", there's no science behind it. From what I can tell, it came from Tumblr.

Quote:
Pansexuality is something else that bugs me tbh, it's just a pretentious way of saying bisexual and the justification for it is silly, 'oh we aren't attracted to gender, we're attracted to PEOPLE!' that's just bisexuality.
This I agree with. Sexuality is based on being attracted to males, females, or both. If someone thinks they're a "grey gender agender nonbinary leprechaun" or whatever nonsense they come up with, they still look male or female, and would attract people accordingly.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:12 PM #43
Banned

Banned

Quote:
tbh I don't even acknowledge "non-binary", there's no science behind it. From what I can tell, it came from Tumblr.

This I agree with. Sexuality is based on being attracted to males, females, or both. If someone thinks they're a "grey gender agender nonbinary leprechaun" or whatever nonsense they come up with, they still look male or female, and would attract people accordingly.
I see non-binary is just a catch all phrase tbh, I have no issue with it being unofficial umbrella term.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:16 PM #44
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I see non-binary is just a catch all phrase tbh, I have no issue with it being unofficial umbrella term.
But it's what falls under the umbrella I take issue with, as it involves all the nonsense terms. Male and female is all we need.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:19 PM #45
Banned

Banned

Quote:
But it's what falls under the umbrella I take issue with, as it involves all the nonsense terms. Male and female is all we need.
I disagree with that because transgender is a thing.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:19 PM #46
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I disagree with that because transgender is a thing.
Transpeople are still male or female though.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:24 PM #47
Banned

Banned

I do agree with that but some trans people like to make the distinction.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:29 PM #48
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
There's a difference between shutting down an argument because its verging on the side of racism. You of all the people in here, refuse to take on board any opinions that appose yours; at least when it comes to your ongoing rant about a certain religious group. You may go quiet when your opposes come back with some sort of proof to back up what they are saying but within a few days, the same old hymn sheet starts all over again.Neither of these opinions/debates/rants are 'snowflakey'. This is not what the word 'snowflake' was termed for.

In my mind a 'snowflake' is someone who can't listen or join in a debate about a certain subject because they are too sensitive but will go out of their way to shut that debate down, by other means, because they don't like it.

An example of that could be a debate or conversation about bullying. The 'snowflake' who has in the past been bullied and indeed traumatized by that bullying, does not want to join in this conversation because it triggers all sorts of memories. Instead of walking away as an act of self protection, they hang around and tell everyone that they shouldn't be having this discussion because it upsets them on a personal level. They aren't a snowflake because of what happened to them in the past and they aren't a snowflake because they are traumatized by their past. They are a snowflake because they are shutting down a debate because of their own self pity.
Some on here like to elect themselves as judge and jury over people whose opinions differ to theirs. I think it makes them feel moraly superior, it doesn't of course. Opposing Islam is not racist - you and others can state it until you are blue in the face but it will not make it so. Trying to force and shame people into your way of thinking, or at the very least not question your thinking is and never will be well-balanced or well-informed because, like you accuse me, you see what you want to see.

You would be within your rights to accuse people of that who were being verbally abusive towards Muslims, threatening them is some way or saying very derogatory things that were clearly recognisable to all as Racist, none of which you can accuse me of doing. I simply oppose the religion because of its second-class treatment of women both here and in the Middle-East, in fact all over the world. We see it every day - to try and claim it is the behaviour of the few is ridiculous. Islam is causing problems all over the world, but hell lets just accuse those that challenge and criticize it as racists rather than address the problems with the religion and the people that blindly follow it. I have yet to see any of you present any actual proof that Islam is a just and tolerant religion who the rest of the world have got completely wrong. You certainly could not convince most that it doesn't treat women as second-class citizens.

Even more we need to address those superior souls who think they are the mouthpiece for every Muslim in the world and speak with such knowledge and wisdom with a belief they have right on their side and in a position to judge everyone else. So boring.

There you are - there is rant for you. But not a word of racism in it, although no doubt you will invent some.

Have fun.

Last edited by Brillopad; 07-12-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:29 PM #49
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I do agree with that but some trans people like to make the distinction.
Doesn't mean they're not male or female. They can make whatever distinctions they like, doesn't make it so.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:33 PM #50
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
That's my understanding of the term.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
mental, problems, snowflakes