Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 28-08-2018, 05:17 PM #26

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Niall
BBUSA20: Haleigh

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Niall
BBUSA20: Haleigh

a cinematic masterpiece!
ethanjames is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 09:04 PM #27
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

ahhhh so after the premiere this evening the film has been met with RAVE reviews

The Guardian, 5 out of 5 stars:
Cooper directs and co-stars in this outrageously watchable and colossally enjoyable new version, supercharged with dilithium crystals of pure melodrama. He appears opposite a sensationally good Lady Gaga, whose ability to be part ordinary person, part extraterrestrial celebrity empress functions at the highest level at all times.—Peter Bradshaw https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...bradley-cooper

The Telegraph, 5 out of 5 stars:
Gaga's big final number, performed almost entirely in a single-take close-up, gives the film the knee-weakening send-off it earns. This is a musical for lovers and loathers of the genre alike: deluxe studio entertainment like they used to make.—Robbie Collin https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/...-musical-ages/

Variety, positive:
Lady Gaga, in her fetching and accomplished movie-star debut, as Ally, an ingenuous, fresh-faced singer-songwriter who becomes his lover and stage partner before rocketing on her own into the new pop stratosphere. Cooper directed the movie himself, working from a script he co-wrote with Eric Roth and Will Fetters, and to say that he does a good job would be to understate his accomplishment.—Owen Gleiberman https://variety.com/2018/film/review...er-1202922858/

The Wrap, positive:
Cooper and Lady Gaga are dynamite together; this is a story that lives and dies by the central relationship and the instant chemistry that must blossom between them, and these two have it in spades. The musical numbers take immediately catchy songs and present them in an electrifying way.—Alonso Duralde https://www.thewrap.com/a-star-is-bo...ady-gaga-2018/

TIME, positive:
A Star Is Born is just on the right side of tasteful, which is to say it’s slightly on the wrong side: It could stand to be more nutso in its expression of grand human emotions and dismal human failures. But it works anyway: You come away feeling something for these people, flawed individuals who are trying to hold their cracked pieces of self together—or to mend the cracks of those they love.—Stephanie Zacharek http://time.com/5382763/a-star-is-born-review/

US Weekly, 3 out of 4 stars:
A Star Is Born tries very, very hard to be the most emotional movie of 2018. I’m not convinced it wins on that front, but I can say it gets the prize for most hysterical melodrama. Take it as a compliment.—Mara Reinstein https://www.usmagazine.com/entertain...-early-review/

Entertainment Weekly, B+:
Gaga's serious-actress transformation for her first major film role will undoubtedly lead the conversation, and she deserves praise for her restrained, human-scale performance as a singer whose real-girl vulnerability feels miles away from the glittery meat-dress delirium of her own stage persona.—Leah Greenblatt https://ew.com/movies/2018/08/31/a-star-is-born-review/

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:01 AM #28
Senior

Favourites (more):
IAC2018: Noel Edmonds
CBB18: Saira Khan
Senior

Favourites (more):

Jesus was the star who was born. The Wise Men followed the star that Gabriel sent to his birth place
glibberglobber is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:09 AM #29
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
ahhhh so after the premiere this evening the film has been met with RAVE reviews

The Guardian, 5 out of 5 stars:
Cooper directs and co-stars in this outrageously watchable and colossally enjoyable new version, supercharged with dilithium crystals of pure melodrama. He appears opposite a sensationally good Lady Gaga, whose ability to be part ordinary person, part extraterrestrial celebrity empress functions at the highest level at all times.—Peter Bradshaw https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...bradley-cooper

The Telegraph, 5 out of 5 stars:
Gaga's big final number, performed almost entirely in a single-take close-up, gives the film the knee-weakening send-off it earns. This is a musical for lovers and loathers of the genre alike: deluxe studio entertainment like they used to make.—Robbie Collin https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/...-musical-ages/

Variety, positive:
Lady Gaga, in her fetching and accomplished movie-star debut, as Ally, an ingenuous, fresh-faced singer-songwriter who becomes his lover and stage partner before rocketing on her own into the new pop stratosphere. Cooper directed the movie himself, working from a script he co-wrote with Eric Roth and Will Fetters, and to say that he does a good job would be to understate his accomplishment.—Owen Gleiberman https://variety.com/2018/film/review...er-1202922858/

The Wrap, positive:
Cooper and Lady Gaga are dynamite together; this is a story that lives and dies by the central relationship and the instant chemistry that must blossom between them, and these two have it in spades. The musical numbers take immediately catchy songs and present them in an electrifying way.—Alonso Duralde https://www.thewrap.com/a-star-is-bo...ady-gaga-2018/

TIME, positive:
A Star Is Born is just on the right side of tasteful, which is to say it’s slightly on the wrong side: It could stand to be more nutso in its expression of grand human emotions and dismal human failures. But it works anyway: You come away feeling something for these people, flawed individuals who are trying to hold their cracked pieces of self together—or to mend the cracks of those they love.—Stephanie Zacharek http://time.com/5382763/a-star-is-born-review/

US Weekly, 3 out of 4 stars:
A Star Is Born tries very, very hard to be the most emotional movie of 2018. I’m not convinced it wins on that front, but I can say it gets the prize for most hysterical melodrama. Take it as a compliment.—Mara Reinstein https://www.usmagazine.com/entertain...-early-review/

Entertainment Weekly, B+:
Gaga's serious-actress transformation for her first major film role will undoubtedly lead the conversation, and she deserves praise for her restrained, human-scale performance as a singer whose real-girl vulnerability feels miles away from the glittery meat-dress delirium of her own stage persona.—Leah Greenblatt https://ew.com/movies/2018/08/31/a-star-is-born-review/

...ditto.......great reviews...I loved Barbra’s version..her character portrayal...?...and I’m usually a bit sceptical of a remake when I’ve loved a character portray so much by someone who is such a favourite as well../..I adore Barbra...but somehow, I was never sceptical when I read GaGa was doing it...I immediately felt she would be amazing...and it’s lovely to see the reviews confirming it......
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:15 AM #30
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Will you be going to see this ammi?

Old 02-09-2018, 05:31 AM #31
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Will you be going to see this ammi?
..oh most definately...it’s a great story anyway and yeah the GaGa edition Is something I’ve been looking forward to..and obviously the new songs and soundtrack as well.....I know it’s going to be a movie that I’ll want to watch multiple times so I’ll be buying the DVD when it comes out as well..but that’ll be a little way off so I’ll be going to the cinema to watch it...I’m quite excited about it..
Old 02-09-2018, 11:25 AM #32
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Ugh

I’ve had a look at my local cinema and as of yet they’re not showing it

Like wtf?!

Old 02-09-2018, 01:37 PM #33
Banned

Banned

I'm quite looking forward to this, I don't think it'll do that well though since the Queen film is getting a lot of attention and they release within a similar window but it does look great.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:48 PM #34

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Favourites (more):

Nobody gives a **** about the Queen. Gaga is queen.
Black Dagger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:30 PM #35
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dagger View Post
Nobody gives a **** about the Queen. Gaga is queen.
Not the Queen, Queen.

It's managed to cut off ASIB at the knees so far in the promotion stakes which is unfortunate as they both look good but one of them is going to suffer the consequences of being high profile music films released in the same window and it's probably gonna be ASIB since Bohemian Rhapsody has all the oscar buzz atm.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:34 PM #36

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Oh lmao. I do want to see that as well. I love Rami.
Black Dagger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:04 PM #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Not the Queen, Queen.

It's managed to cut off ASIB at the knees so far in the promotion stakes which is unfortunate as they both look good but one of them is going to suffer the consequences of being high profile music films released in the same window and it's probably gonna be ASIB since Bohemian Rhapsody has all the oscar buzz atm.
Tbf, the potential for that movie bombed when they lost their original choice for Freddie.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:40 PM #38
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
I'm quite looking forward to this, I don't think it'll do that well though since the Queen film is getting a lot of attention and they release within a similar window but it does look great.
Quote:
Not the Queen, Queen.

I personally haven’t seen any promotion for the BR, ASIB has Oscar buzz whereas I haven’t seen anything in terms of predictions for BR either https://awardswatch.com/2018/08/31/f...rn-boy-erased/ the only thing mentioned is Rami for Leading Male, whereas ASIB has picture, director, actor and actress and it’s pretty much the same on other websites too, there’s no mention of BR, ASIBs opening weekend predictions have now moved to $35million - $55 million and it’s predicted to do $135m domestically, I think if people want to see both films they will anyway but being released first just means word of mouth is gonna have more impact for ASIB anyway

Old 02-09-2018, 09:04 PM #39
Banned

Banned

It's a matter of knowing how the Academy works though, ASIB is an old favourite for the academy which will benefit it but I dunno, I think BH will end up pipping it in the noms in the end. It's got crossover appeal whilst dealing with Academy friendly subject matter.

I think the only chance ASIB has is if it really does go the distance in terms of audience popularity but I don't really see that happening, the trailers for both were released at similar times iirc and I think BH generally trended more and got more views. I'm seeing both but I think, looking at both films, BH is going to do better at the awards although I do predict that Gaga will get a fair few noms, judging by the critics reactions to her. I predict she'll have at least a Golden Globe by the time awards' season ends. Potentially an Oscar too but that depends on the other competition.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:10 PM #40
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Don’t you mean ANOTHER golden globe

I mean either way I’d be happy with nominations, I wouldn’t expect her to win an Oscar for her first film, Glen Close is currently fave anyway, but she might snatch one for the soundtrack considering everyone knows she was robbed last time and she has a pretty good relationship with the academy after her previous performances.

Eh as long as the film performs well and is well received (so already halfway there) I’m happy

Old 02-09-2018, 09:13 PM #41
Senior

Favourites (more):
Senior

Favourites (more):

is this the nativity 21st century style
glibberglobber is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:50 PM #42

I can't see Bohemian Rhapsody getting nominated for awards when Bryan Singer is still credited as director.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:20 PM #43
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I can't see Bohemian Rhapsody getting nominated for awards when Bryan Singer is still credited as director.
omg MESS I thought he’d been totally kicked out of Hollywood

ASIB coming to knock BR out the park

Old 02-09-2018, 10:33 PM #44

Not to mention regardless of who or what is involved, Bohemian Rhapsody actually looks like a parody rather than a serious movie.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:35 PM #45

Omg and Peter Beale in a bad wig.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:26 AM #46
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if they did everything they could to get his name stricken from the credits tbh. He was fired from the film after all so it wouldn't be hard.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:00 AM #47
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..it’s a shame they’re both similar release times...Freddie’s story is so interesting and obviously factual...Star is Born is a fictional remake ...so they’re completely different in every which way...but both music based obviously, so I guess will be directly compared...both trailers look incredible and it’ll be like Sophie’s Choice thing to me I’m sure ..in terms of which is the better...I WON’T CHOOSE...no one can make me...
Old 03-09-2018, 10:39 AM #48

Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me if they did everything they could to get his name stricken from the credits tbh. He was fired from the film after all so it wouldn't be hard.
It's because of Directors Guild of America rules he gets credited. I think the usual rule is - when a film has multiple directors - that the person who directs more than 50% of the film gets sole credit.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:31 PM #49
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..I’ve just googled Bryan Singer...I had no idea of the allegations...I’ve been living in a bubble...
Old 03-09-2018, 04:44 PM #50
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..it’s a shame they’re both similar release times...Freddie’s story is so interesting and obviously factual...Star is Born is a fictional remake ...so they’re completely different in every which way...but both music based obviously, so I guess will be directly compared...both trailers look incredible and it’ll be like Sophie’s Choice thing to me I’m sure ..in terms of which is the better...I WON’T CHOOSE...no one can make me...
You don’t need to chose you can see both

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
93%, absolutely, born, bradley or gaga, brilliant, classic, clips, guardian, instant, male or female, meta, metacritic, oscars, positive, predicting, premiere, review, reviews, rotten, rt, star, sweep, tomato, trailer, variety