Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 28-08-2018, 05:32 PM #51
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
You said it matters our standing in the world, but didn't support it with an argument... why does it matter and what is it's value?

Note that I haven't said it doesn't. However, putting that at the forefront of our culture's philosophy has created major side-effects... and is different than what is being discussed in media and talk radio which is usually messaging and political nonsense...

I guess for me the difference is, I don't come to SD to American-splain to others. Much of my conversation(s) here are of recreational value (believe it or not). We don't really learn anything new from folk who are too similar to us. Our cultures share a similar set of principles in the over-arching philosophy that is Western culture. However, if we both have the same pressures and issue(s) in our culture and are criticizing one another, I don't feel like either of us is objective enough to really put our problems in full view... we share the same interests and, imo, the same narcissistic tendency to protect national image in light of what is happening across the world... basically, of all the cultures in the world, the Americans and British are very politically-oriented (by nature of our shared governing philosophy)... this is not always a good thing and it has had side-effects... and I'm one of those kind of people that love feedback, so it's not a matter of not wanting feedback... but rather, when does self-obsession with national image/identity go too far for us? (Americans)

Edit: BTW, sorry in advance if some of this is unclear... writing on a break -_-
..but I don’t have an argument though, I wasn’t arguing or even debating ...when I read some of the thread I picked up something another poster said and your response to them..or a specific part of your response, I should say..?..in that you had no care for what others thought..?...and that’s what many individuals think but as a country...you do, I do etc...but as a country it is important what other countries think of us because that’s a countries whole standing...how they’re perceived internationally...because we all have allies and trade deals and agreements etc...those things might not be affected if others feel our countries may be going through politically messy times..but these things equally can effect...exactly as with what the American guy said in the radio interview about Jeremy Corbyn being a political leader of a main party...that we in the UK should be looking at ourselves in terms of any criticisms laid at US politics...it takes away all credibility ...so it really does matter what other countries think of us...those are thoughts I was having ...no argument at all, Maru...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 06:41 PM #52
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..but I don’t have an argument though, I wasn’t arguing or even debating ...when I read some of the thread I picked up something another poster said and your response to them..or a specific part of your response, I should say..?..in that you had no care for what others thought..?...and that’s what many individuals think but as a country...you do, I do etc...but as a country it is important what other countries think of us because that’s a countries whole standing...how they’re perceived internationally...because we all have allies and trade deals and agreements etc...those things might not be affected if others feel our countries may be going through politically messy times..but these things equally can effect...exactly as with what the American guy said in the radio interview about Jeremy Corbyn being a political leader of a main party...that we in the UK should be looking at ourselves in terms of any criticisms laid at US politics...it takes away all credibility ...so it really does matter what other countries think of us...those are thoughts I was having ...no argument at all, Maru...
No argument here, Ammi.. just civil discussion..

I'd say the only things our "standing" effects is those things like trade deals as you say, economics, military/international policy, mitigating any externalities that may impact others outside our own soil (including ecologically)... things of self-interest really, because not every country even cares about its own externalities... a vast majority of that is political though. Both our cultures have a penchant for politics in our make-up, but beyond that, the details are usually lost on most folk...

2S as I understood it was talking about culture & national identity in a round-about introspective manner... and I said before, I think that America's influence on folk in the UK in that aspect is very limited. Just like in American cultural we're virtually isolated by what happens politically in Europe short of the things like the price of gas at the pump... Individuals get bits and pieces by reading articles and becoming more aware of the world, but I think it takes more than that to leave a lasting imprint in culture very limited without there being issues created by a foreign country here on our own soil (such as Mexico's drug war, etc)...

But even then, I don't even know how they view themselves much less how they self-govern without searching and searching on my own and reading their media in that language. I'm limited geographically and to a larger extent than what most people tend to accept, I'm also limited ideologically. Everything I read is going to be compared to my own cultural POV... I would need a lot more than just some articles and a panel of folk bickering on CNN to reshape my world in order to see things any differently...

The difference from that which you and I were talking about and where I quoted 2S, we were focused on the importance of standing when shaping culture, not policy... that's why I said appreciation is not helpful... if it's about encouraging our culture to self-refine their culture and to "be better", then our conversations on the internet or having a radio host from the UK come over is going to have a very limited effect on how Americans see themselves and their own country... outside of their already well-formed POV... despite having a shared culture in Western philosophy to boot that preaches all in this pack must "be better"... "be better", however, is still usually within the purview of local culture.

Anyway, I tend to separate the two because what happens in trade deals and militarily has marginal impact on cultural philosophy overall. as I tend to think politics is downstream from culture (still musing on that one)... most people here are barely aware of how any of that actually works and like the OP video says, we are vaguely aware of where a lot of these places are even on a map... and tbf, our understanding is even worse than that, because we don't really even learn in school the sensitive dealings between individual countries... it's usually broken down only to a continental (yes, our understanding is that low resolution) and who was/wasn't throwing shade at who during da warz...

Last edited by Maru; 28-08-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 12:44 AM #53
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Enzo
BBCanada 8: Jamar
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by montblanc View Post
we are GORGEOUS people
Tea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by montblanc View Post
we literally have our own flag and Texas pledge

in school we would have to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance AND the Texas Pledge
Never knew that
Old 29-08-2018, 12:54 AM #54
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):

Ok watching the video now and this guy is an IDIOT first of all!

American sports >>>>>>>>

The rest of the world is dumb with spelling. Why add extra u's to words and pronounce words that aren't the way they're spelled?

ARE WE AMERICANS REALLY THAT LOUD?

Americans have the best food in the world. The British love some of the grossest foods I've ever seen and heard of!
Old 29-08-2018, 01:59 AM #55
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):

I mean Americans serve heart attacks on a plate tbf... but that's how you KNOW it tastes good.

Had the new Jalapeno King from Burger King today and it was absolutely AMAZING
Old 29-08-2018, 02:06 AM #56

My Taid (Grandad) always said "they'll bloody applaud anything".

Like watching Ellen and other American chat shows is an absolute nightmare!

Ellen: How are you doing?
Guest: I'm Okay
Audience:

Last edited by LaLaLand; 29-08-2018 at 02:06 AM.
LaLaLand is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 02:11 AM #57
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):

Americans do like to applaud too much for some reason, that's definitely true
Old 29-08-2018, 02:29 AM #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyWins View Post
The rest of the world is dumb with spelling. Why add extra u's to words and pronounce words that aren't the way they're spelled?
It's France's fault.
Ashley. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 05:19 AM #59
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Americans do like to applaud too much for some reason, that's definitely true

Spoiler:

Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 05:40 AM #60
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley. View Post
It's France's fault.
...the French can add and rearrange and use the alphabet any which way they want to, Ashley...when their language is so much the passion and flamboyance and body/hand movement expression that it is...for me, they fairly much rule every alphabet in the world...it’s an international law.....
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 11:04 AM #61
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Ok watching the video now and this guy is an IDIOT first of all!

American sports >>>>>>>>

Americans have the best food in the world. The British love some of the grossest foods I've ever seen and heard of!
Is it lying day in America today?

You've told a few whoppers there.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 11:19 AM #62
Nah

Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley. View Post
It's France's fault.
Gurl BYE, France is amazing! We are never to blame apart from strikes and eating snails.
Captain.Remy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 11:20 AM #63
Nah

Nah

Quote:

yes you are loud as hell! Why so loud for?

And no, you definitely DO NOT have the best food. Not even close to it.
The British have it worse I agree.
And obviously France and Italy have the best food. Everyone knows that.

Last edited by Captain.Remy; 29-08-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 29-08-2018, 11:45 AM #64
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Remy View Post
Gurl BYE, France is amazing! We are never to blame apart from strikes and eating snails.
Being French and into Rugby, do you have any thoughts on the Catalans Dragons making history last weekend by becoming the first non English team to win the Rugby League challenge cup?

Did you know about that? was it big news in France?
Old 29-08-2018, 11:57 AM #65
Nah

Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Being French and into Rugby, do you have any thoughts on the Catalans Dragons making history last weekend by becoming the first non English team to win the Rugby League challenge cup?

Did you know about that? was it big news in France?
It was on the news even though Rugby XIII is less popular than the other one.

I do believe that if the team has been invited to play for 12 years, they should be able to win. I can understand some people are upset, but then again it is the decision of the Rugby League Federation to allow them to play and potentially win the cup.
So to me it is fair, they won fairly, and congratulations to the boys! Well played!
Old 29-08-2018, 01:58 PM #66
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Remy View Post
It was on the news even though Rugby XIII is less popular than the other one.

I do believe that if the team has been invited to play for 12 years, they should be able to win. I can understand some people are upset, but then again it is the decision of the Rugby League Federation to allow them to play and potentially win the cup.
So to me it is fair, they won fairly, and congratulations to the boys! Well played!
Hopfully this victory can make rugby League more popular in France. Les Catalans are already an established Super League club and Toulouse are still in with a chance of making Super League for next year (although it will be tough and maybe a year too soon).

England needs France to have a good international team to give us a competitive match on this side of the World. Our only competitive matches at the moment are Australia and New Zealand. It's the lack of International competition that is holding the sport back. It's the greatest sport on Earth, and people need to discover this, at the moment they're too brainwashed by football, with all the exposure they get of it.
Old 30-08-2018, 07:15 AM #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post

Spoiler:

TOUCHE. Brilliant.

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
americans, annoying, things