Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 24-03-2019, 07:30 PM #76
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by armand.kay View Post
It's really easy to say this from the prospective of a cis person who's never gone through the trauma of feeling like you're in the wrong body. while this may not seem like a big deal to you to trans people misgendering can be extremely hurtful.

Yeah her voice is deep but I've met old ladies with deeper voices. If they can see she's clearly presenting as female I don't see why they would get confused.
So hurtful £2500 compensation will make her feel better though...

Not saying I know how she feels but truthfully she doesn't look or sound feminine so mistakes will happen, she never even corrected the first person and the second denied doing it so is likely to have seen her or heard her for a split second and never thought much of it, is thst really worth compensation?
Old 24-03-2019, 08:34 PM #77

Thing is though, the people who say "She's clearly presenting as female" are the same ones who say "Well, why is it a female attribute to be in a dress? People can wear whatever irrespective of gender!" Yet, when one sex/gender is identifying as another they do so with cliche stereotypes.

This lady in the OP seems more like a crossdresser to me. Never in their life felt like they were in the wrong body but suddenly found they enjoyed wearing women's clothes, that doesn't necessarily translate to 'want to be a woman'.

Last edited by Marsh.; 24-03-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 09:54 PM #78
Mokka

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Mokka

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Thing is though, the people who say "She's clearly presenting as female" are the same ones who say "Well, why is it a female attribute to be in a dress? People can wear whatever irrespective of gender!" Yet, when one sex/gender is identifying as another they do so with cliche stereotypes.

This lady in the OP seems more like a crossdresser to me. Never in their life felt like they were in the wrong body but suddenly found they enjoyed wearing women's clothes, that doesn't necessarily translate to 'want to be a woman'.
Even at that, when watching drag, we all call the guys she and her when in drag, and he/him when out of drag.
We are all born naked and the rest is drag... as it goes.
You've entered the post apocalyptic ruins of a site about a dead show, where every battle imaginable has already been fought a hundred times over. A cynical world of hardened arseholes where the mods have stopped caring, and the administrator is watching Tetris championships while the rest of us bicker in here.
Mokka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 09:55 PM #79

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
Love Island 5: Amber

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
Love Island 5: Amber

Quote:
Saying that someone fits into the conventional way we view gender and saying that conventional gender norms are harmful are two completely different things tbh
Elliot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 10:00 PM #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
Saying that someone fits into the conventional way we view gender and saying that conventional gender norms are harmful are two completely different things tbh
Not really. They're either harmful or they're how we identify gender, you can't have it both ways.

She clearly says she's never gone through life feeling as though she was in the wrong body and it was only dressing up in women's clothes that she said she found it "comfortable". Sounds more like a man feeling more comfortable wearing what is conventionally women's clothes rather than this "I like wearing dresses therefore I am now a woman" story being sold.

Either that or she explained her story terribly in the interview.
Old 25-03-2019, 12:47 AM #81
baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

baddie

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Jade View Post
So hurtful £2500 compensation will make her feel better though...

Not saying I know how she feels but truthfully she doesn't look or sound feminine so mistakes will happen, she never even corrected the first person and the second denied doing it so is likely to have seen her or heard her for a split second and never thought much of it, is thst really worth compensation?
The £2500 compensation will probably make southern rail think a bit more about how seriously they take complains like her's, from the sounds of it when she flagged it up she was dismissed.

also no offence to old ladies but a few of them are a tad masculine.

Last edited by armand.kay; 25-03-2019 at 12:53 AM.
armand.kay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 12:52 AM #82
baddie

Favourites (more):

baddie

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Not really. They're either harmful or they're how we identify gender, you can't have it both ways.

She clearly says she's never gone through life feeling as though she was in the wrong body and it was only dressing up in women's clothes that she said she found it "comfortable". Sounds more like a man feeling more comfortable wearing what is conventionally women's clothes rather than this "I like wearing dresses therefore I am now a woman" story being sold.

Either that or she explained her story terribly in the interview.
The interview pretty short and wasn't really focused on her transition and her mental process before and throughout. She gave a really brief summary of when how her transition started. You really don't have enough info to make this assumption.
armand.kay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 02:03 AM #83

Quote:
The interview pretty short and wasn't really focused on her transition and her mental process before and throughout. She gave a really brief summary of when how her transition started. You really don't have enough info to make this assumption.
Well, I did say "unless she explained her story terribly".

BUT, she also explicitly says she's never had ANY form of thoughts about being a woman, wanting to be a woman or not feeling right in her body she was born with. So, contrary to your reply, I have exactly the right amount of information to REPEAT what she said. It's not an assumption, it's what she says.
Old 25-03-2019, 07:07 AM #84
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Quote:
A previous interview of hers backs up Marsh's summary:

Quote:
Earlier this year, Katie underwent surgery and is now female, four years after starting her transition.

She hopes to encourage and inspire others in a similar position to her.

But what led to her making such a life-changing decision?

‘It all started back in 2014. I previously identified as a gay male,’ she says.

‘I went to a fancy dress party, wearing a dress.

‘I’d never worn a dress before. I didn’t really have any thoughts about being transgender.

‘But I went to this party and had a really good evening.

‘For several weeks after that I started to think about how comfortable I felt, not just because I was in a dress but because of my femininity.’

‘The only time I wear jeans is when I go out first thing in the morning to take the dog for a walk. The rest of the time I wear dresses or skirts because it embraces my femininity.’

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 07:19 AM #85
-

-

So Marsh's summary is that this person felt physically more comfortable in dresses and that's why she chooses to wear them, is backed up by a statement that makes it abundantly clear that she is referring to feeling more comfortable as an individual / as an identity (and not the physical comfort of the softer fabric ) oh and also states that she has actually had her male genitals removed.

But yes all of this clearly would lead to the conclusion that this is just "just a bloke who felt more physically comfortable in female clothes so wears dresses".

Clear as day.

No what is in fact going on here is that people are OK with trans so long as the individual looks and sounds feminine and pretty, but "ugly trans" isn't allowed and those blokes should get their overalls back on. Amirite? Disgusting pervs, how DARE they not have dainty features .
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 07:22 AM #86
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
So Marsh's summary is that this person felt physically more comfortable in dresses and that's why she chooses to wear them, is backed up by a statement that makes it abundantly clear that she is referring to feeling more comfortable as an individual / as an identity (and not the physical comfort of the softer fabric ) oh and also states that she has actually had her male genitals removed.

But yes all of this clearly would lead to the conclusion that this is just "just a bloke who felt more physically comfortable in female clothes so wears dresses".

Clear as day.

No what is in fact going on here is that people are OK with trans so long as the individual looks and sounds feminine and pretty, but "ugly trans" isn't allowed and those blokes should get their overalls back on. Amirite? Disgusting pervs, how DARE they not have dainty features .
What's going on here from my point of view is that this person is making this story up, and this should have never made the TV.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 07:28 AM #87
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
What's going on here from my point of view is that this person is making this story up, and this should have never made the TV.
Whether or not the train story is true is completely irrelevant to everything I've said in the post you quoted, Alf.

Though I see no reason to think that it's "made up". The demand for compensation is a bit much and an apology should be enough but it being a complete fabrication is a stretch.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 11:30 AM #88

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

if YOU YOURSELF accidentally called this trans woman a "SIR" or "HE" and she went ballistic calling you prejudice and blah blah?? , what if you apologised and she still reported you and went on national TV moaning about it and demanding compensation? .

Sometimes genuine mistakes happen and people get misgendered, it's not the end of the world. If there was name calling & mocking then that's different . But to call a slip of the tongue a "hate crime" is just stupid . , Some people get confused as sometimes its cross dressers and so on .

And this person obviously just wants attention! as she didn't even correct the first person who called her "sir", and the second person again might of genuinely thought she was a man by hearing the voice .yet she insists on forming a complaint and going to court and getting compensation .
Old 25-03-2019, 12:02 PM #89
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Quote:
The £2500 compensation will probably make southern rail think a bit more about how seriously they take complains like her's, from the sounds of it when she flagged it up she was dismissed.

also no offence to old ladies but a few of them are a tad masculine.
I don't get why money would help with that? Just comes across as greedy really.

She never rectified the first guy and the second claims he said something else entirely. I hope she loses her case.
Old 25-03-2019, 01:38 PM #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post

Clear as day.

Oh dear. Bitter are we?

If you'd like to take a stab at what I actually said and not this pathetic attempt at baiting I might respond.

Instead of putting words in people's mouths, offer your own opinion. Or do you remain incapable?

Last edited by Marsh.; 25-03-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
apology, called, demanding, rail, service, sir, transgender, woman