Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: ?
Right, the unborn baby is not human and it's up to the mum 19 35.85%
Right, the unborn baby is not human and it's up to the mum
19 35.85%
In most cases 12 22.64%
In most cases
12 22.64%
Only in exceptional circumstances (e.g. rape/disability) 6 11.32%
Only in exceptional circumstances (e.g. rape/disability)
6 11.32%
Wrong, the baby still has a soul/is still human unborn or not 4 7.55%
Wrong, the baby still has a soul/is still human unborn or not
4 7.55%
Wrong, but it's still the mother's choice 7 13.21%
Wrong, but it's still the mother's choice
7 13.21%
Other 5 9.43%
Other
5 9.43%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25-08-2014, 04:12 PM #1

Default Abortion - right or wrong?

I know this thread has been done to death on here but the latest controversy over Richard Dawkin's comments on Down Syndrome got me thinking about the whole issue in a broader context, not just for disabled babies ... do you agree with abortion or do you disagree?
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 04:21 PM #2
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I agree insomuch as it's the right of the woman to choose, and so long as it's done in the early stages, definitely under 12 weeks unless it's a medical emergency. I don't believe in abortion as a form of contraception and I don't believe in women being allowed repeated abortions.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 04:21 PM #3
Banned

Banned

Their body, their choice. I don't think men should get much of a choice in the matter, we don't carry the child or the risks involved in doing so. Whether a woman wants to go through with a pregnancy or not is their choice and their choice alone.

Last edited by Tom4784; 25-08-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 04:29 PM #4
User banned

User banned

in right if rape or health risk, otherwise it is wrong and should be outlawed
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 04:30 PM #5
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

IMO it's totally wrong... I think there's a disgusting 'idea' if you will, that if people have unprotected sex, they thing 'well if worse comes to the worse, abortion'. I think people dont realise how wrong it is in most cases. It's so easy to get an abortion here, i know quite a few girls that have. and I personally think it's wrong.

However, I do think it's it's just as wrong to 'force' someone to have that baby. I guess I'd rather people 'abort' their unwanted baby, than raise a baby they never wanted.

I just wish these people who wanted to abort their babies would give adoption a thought. It rarely happens in this country and I think it's such a shame. I think a hell of a lot more needs to be done. My worst hate in the world is bad parents. Some people just shouldn't be them... I find that in most cases, the parents are the worst are ones who didn't plan on having them/hardly even like kids. I just wish they'd realise that kids aren't just something you can raise with having no clue about. You have to care about them and do everything you can for them... Anyway, that's going OT...

Too long didnt read - I don't really believe in it, but I think it's better than allowing people who might not handle being a parent, become a parent.
Old 25-08-2014, 04:32 PM #6
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninastar View Post
IMO it's totally wrong... I think there's a disgusting 'idea' if you will, that if people have unprotected sex, they thing 'well if worse comes to the worse, abortion'. I think people dont realise how wrong it is in most cases. It's so easy to get an abortion here, i know quite a few girls that have. and I personally think it's wrong.

However, I do think it's it's just as wrong to 'force' someone to have that baby. I guess I'd rather people 'abort' their unwanted baby, than raise a baby they never wanted.

I just wish these people who wanted to abort their babies would give adoption a thought. It rarely happens in this country and I think it's such a shame. I think a hell of a lot more needs to be done. My worst hate in the world is bad parents. Some people just shouldn't be them... I find that in most cases, the parents are the worst are ones who didn't plan on having them/hardly even like kids. I just wish they'd realise that kids aren't just something you can raise with having no clue about. You have to care about them and do everything you can for them... Anyway, that's going OT...

Too long didnt read - I don't really believe in it, but I think it's better than allowing people who might not handle being a parent, become a parent.
Great post. Aborting a child is the cowards way out.
Old 25-08-2014, 04:33 PM #7
got dat coffee sh*tz

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Trisha Paytas
BB18: Isabelle
got dat coffee sh*tz

Favourites (more):

I AM PRO-CHOICE

Doesn't need to be if health risks or rape. If you are not ready to bring a baby into this world and you feel for you abortion is right then do it if you want to. It would be better if you just used protection but if you ever find yourself in this situation then at least after it all, don't get yourself in it again.

coffee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 04:35 PM #8
Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

oh and before people jump on me for saying that it's easy enough to get an abortion, I mean to go to the doctors and ask for one. Not the actual process... i imagine that cant be very nice.
Old 25-08-2014, 04:38 PM #9

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
CBBUSA: Omarosa Manigault

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
CBBUSA: Omarosa Manigault

I am an adoptee, so I guess I'm glad my mother didn't believe it was the right thing to do!

Saying that, I am 100% pro-choice, with more or less the provisos Livia has already expressed.
Old 25-08-2014, 04:45 PM #10
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
BB19: Lewis F
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun

It's wrong to abort imo, but the mother should have every right to abort the baby under the correct circumstances (eg. rape).

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 04:46 PM #11

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

I'm male, I shouldn't have an opinion other than it should be up to the woman.
Firewire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 04:51 PM #12
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
Great post. Aborting a child is the cowards way out.
Spoken like a truly ignorant man who'll never know what it's like to be pregnant. Don't judge someone for their actions when you'll never be in their situation.

Last edited by Tom4784; 25-08-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 04:54 PM #13
got dat coffee sh*tz

Favourites (more):
got dat coffee sh*tz

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Spoken like a truly ignorant man who'll never know what it's like to be pregnant. Don't judge someone for their actions when you'll never be in their situation.

coffee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 04:57 PM #14
0_o

0_o

I am pro-choice. However I completely disagree with people who have multiple abortions and use it as a contraceptive almost (I know these people are few and far between though)
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 04:58 PM #15

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):

I believe that you shouldn't get yourself into a position where you have an unwanted pregnancy in the first place (Obviously not including rape) but it happens, so if a woman feels that she wouldn't be able to cope with having a baby and isn't ready for one, then It's their choice and their choice alone whether or not to have an abortion, considering the women are the ones who have to go through with either the pregnancy or abortion, then it is 100% down to the woman and her wants, no-one else should have a say in the matter.

Last edited by Liam-; 25-08-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Liam- is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 05:13 PM #16
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
spoken like a truly ignorant person who doesnt care about the mass murder of millions of healthy babies, in addition to the pressure put on women to have abortions and the lack of time taken to offer them and the fathers time , counselling and support to show them all the options open to them, including adoption, shame on you

Last edited by the truth; 25-08-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 25-08-2014, 05:15 PM #17

the truth should be banned from threads like this
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 05:15 PM #18
-

-

I don't believe that it should be made illegal, purely because of the massive can of worms that prohibition (in any form) opens up. People will always do what they want, whatever it is, making something illegal only serves to de-regulate and push actions underground. Which is never a good idea.

However - I personally find "convenience abortions" morally abhorrent ("I'm not ready", "It's too expensive", "I just don't want one", "blah blah blah economic position snore"... etc.). I honestly fully believe that anyone who isn't ready to accept the POSSIBLE consequences of having sex, shouldn't be having sex in the first place. Contraception used properly is almost completely effective but anyone (female OR male) "going all the way" should deal with the consequences. My eldest was conceived when I was 22 and my (now) wife was 20. I'm not going to pretend that I was like "oh, how lovely!". We were in a blind ****ing panic for months. But we just dealt with it, because we chose to have sex, and when it comes down to it... sex = babies. If you are ABSOLUTELY 100% definitely not ready to accept the possibility of parenthood, there are a myriad of other sexual activities that you can engage in that carry zero risk of pregnancy.

Finally... following on from the Dawkins thread - I'm not "hardcore pro-life" in all circumstances. There ARE circumstances under which I actually think it's the "right" choice - there are some genuinely horrific and agonising birth defects that essentially guarantee a few weeks / months of pain, followed by inevitable death. I don't think any good can come of an existence like that. There are also "mid-level" disabilities where I think it's a bit of a grey area but again, for me, really what it comes down to is whether or not there will be actual physical suffering and to what degree.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 05:18 PM #19
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamPRW View Post
I believe that you shouldn't get yourself into a position where you have an unwanted pregnancy in the first place (Obviously not including rape) but it happens, so if a woman feels that she wouldn't be able to cope with having a baby and isn't ready for one, then It's their choice and their choice alone whether or not to have an abortion, considering the women are the ones who have to go through with either the pregnancy or abortion, then it is 100% down to the woman and her wants, no-one else should have a say in the matter.
time should be taken to give the mothers and fathers all the information and all the options, rather than rushing into killing babies. thousands of women and men later regret this decision, they often complain they felt pressurised or rushed and crucially they say they dont feel their were well informed enough about the options open to them , such as adoption and fostering etc
many live to regret this killing of the baby, it haunts the rest of their lives. in some cases these parents can never conceive again either. so much misery, so much pain and tragedy so much massive eternal regret , so must lost promise , lost opportunity, lost love, so many millions of lost innocent babies and broken hearted parents. and why all this misery? to satisfy the femi nazis
Old 25-08-2014, 05:19 PM #20

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
spoken like a truly ignorant person who doesnt care about the mass murder of millions of healthy babies, in addition to the pressure put on women to have abortions and the lack of time taken to offer them and the fathers time , counselling and support to show them all the options open to them, including adoption, shame on you
At the point of being allowed to have an abortion, it isn't a baby, it hasn't got any sustainable advancement.. and the 'pressure' put on women to have abortions? I'm pretty sure no-one is pressured into having abortions.
The point of having an abortion is to put a stop to an unwanted pregnancy, so why would adoption be a better option for someone who doesn't want to go through with one?
Old 25-08-2014, 05:19 PM #21
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
the truth should be banned from threads like this
yey lets have fascism...typical radical liberal, free speech for all unless you disagree with me, what a sick joke

yes ban the truth, without the truth all thats left is lies and millions of dead innocent babies
Old 25-08-2014, 05:20 PM #22
-

-

I do also wish that more people would consider adoption as an option. People often quote the "over-stretched care system" as a reason not to, but that is in fact only because of older children entering care. There is a HUGE demand (from infertile and same-sex couples) for adoption of newborn babies. I've heard people argue against it saying that it isn't fair because of how hard it would be for the mother to give up the child but... wtf? When the alternative is just killing it in the womb? Ummmm...
Old 25-08-2014, 05:22 PM #23
User banned

User banned

Quote:
At the point of being allowed to have an abortion, it isn't a baby, it hasn't got any sustainable advancement.. and the 'pressure' put on women to have abortions? I'm pretty sure no-one is pressured into having abortions.
The point of having an abortion is to put a stop to an unwanted pregnancy, so why would adoption be a better option for someone who doesn't want to go through with one?
pretty sure? you havent got aclue what your etalking about , tens of thousands of women complain they felt pressured and rushed into having abortions and felt that no one took the time to explain all the other options available. the pressure can come from the medical staff, the her parents, her family, her partner , her new partner etc etc vast numbers of women regret it forever, so too do many fathers
Old 25-08-2014, 05:23 PM #24
-

-

Quote:
the 'pressure' put on women to have abortions? I'm pretty sure no-one is pressured into having abortions.
There is pressure, often from family or the "father" but also the pressure of societal exectation.

There are many women who have rushed (or been rushed) into choosing abortion who go on to regret it for the rest of their life. There are women who regret it almost instantly after it's too late and go on to suffer from depression or even post-traumatic stress disorder. To try to claim otherwise is just false... and grossly offensive to anyone who has chosen, and later, regretted, abortion.
Old 25-08-2014, 05:23 PM #25
0_o

0_o

Quote:
I do also wish that more people would consider adoption as an option. People often quote the "over-stretched care system" as a reason not to, but that is in fact only because of older children entering care. There is a HUGE demand (from infertile and same-sex couples) for adoption of newborn babies. I've heard people argue against it saying that it isn't fair because of how hard it would be for the mother to give up the child but... wtf? When the alternative is just killing it in the womb? Ummmm...
I'm not sure the argument against it is quite that it would be hard to give up the child...more along the lines of hard to go through 9 months of pregnancy (from my experience that is NOT easy at all) and then labour, and then to give the child up. I know we are more medically advanced today too but there is also still risks involved with labour and birth. I very nearly needed a blood transfusion with my latest child :S
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
abortion, wrong