PDA

View Full Version : Hollyoaks is criminally underrated

Tom4784
05-10-2009, 06:50 PM
I think it's shocking how much everyone rags on it really, the only fair point they have is that the acting's a bit spotty with some actors but when you think that most of these actors are young and it's ussually one of their first jobs. Nobody perfects their craft when they begin, Hollyoaks is like a training ground really and generally everyone improves as they go on.

anyway reasons why it's better then most people think.

1. They aren't afraid to try new things
Compared to other soaps I like how Hollyoaks is always trying new things and using new methods to tell stories. Recent examples include Newt's Schizophrenia which we see from his point of view, we see his hallucinations which is never really done in other soaps doing similar stories. Other good examples include the Non linear week where Gaz got attacked.

2. The pacing is much better then other soaps
There's always an interesting storyline in hollyoaks and in most cases no storylines drag which is a problem other soaps have. When there is a long storyline (Such as the Niall storyline) there's ussually a good pay off for it (The showdown with the McQueens in the church). Which puts stories such as Eastenders' 'Danielle' storyline to shame.

3. They aren't afraid to break Soap conventions
This is kinda similar to the first point but oh well. I like How Hollyoaks uses Incidental music, montages and metaphors to portray character's feelings and such. It's not done much in other soaps and it's quite interesting. I also think the 'Later' Spin off shows tend to be quite good.

4. The cast is more diverse then any other soap
I really like the characters and I like how they aren't afraid of bringing in characters that other soaps might not have.

5. It's critically acclaimed
Whether you like it or not, critically it's very successful. I think it was last year when it basically stormed the critic's choice categories at the soap awards. I think the only reason it doesn't win many viewer's choice awards is because Eastenders and Corrie have bigger audiences.

xDramatick
05-10-2009, 06:52 PM
I totally agree!
They have loads of gay/bi/lesbian characters too, which is nice to see for once.

I don't watch it that much anymore though.

InOne
05-10-2009, 06:53 PM
I like the Newt storyline. I think it will be good this week.

Billy
05-10-2009, 06:59 PM
It usually is, but it's been dreadful since Lucy Allan overtook.

Scarlett.
05-10-2009, 07:49 PM
It usually is, but it's been dreadful since Lucy Allan overtook.Agreed, although tonights episode was good

InOne
05-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Newt is the only good one out of the brat pack really. The rest are pretty annoying.

Tom4784
05-10-2009, 08:12 PM
I think Lucy's done a good job, She's taken over in the midst of a narrative dry patch but it's still watchable unlike Eastenders and Corrie's dry patches.

The only brat pack member I don't like is Lauren, I think the rest are good.

Scarlett.
05-10-2009, 08:26 PM
I don't really like Theresa, or the McQueens, or Anita, or Lauren...I only really like Newt (his new look is weird xD)

*mazedsalv**
05-10-2009, 08:32 PM
I agree, yes it is on C4 and the other soaps get higher people watching as they are on BBC1 and ITV, but Hollyoaks for the last few years has been better than other soaps.

They have done what hasnt been done before, also with the serial killers, death moments and storylines, they are more superior than other soaps.

Also, im not sure if its just because i and all my friends are all teens but everyone is more embarassed to be fans of EE, CS and Emmerdale, but Hollyoaks for everyone watching it, there are die hard fans and love it and dont get embarssed saying they are fans.

Shaun
05-10-2009, 08:38 PM
The acting's terrible, the stories are absurd and it's still a soap.
No fanx.

Billy
05-10-2009, 08:44 PM
No fanx.

For someone who hates soaps you seem to watch alot of it to be able to come to those conclusions?

InOne
05-10-2009, 09:00 PM
It is good Jake is getting out, although he was getting annoying. Nancy really needs to go, hate her.

Tom4784
05-10-2009, 09:15 PM
I like Nancy, It's Sasha and Lauren I can't stand.

InOne
05-10-2009, 09:28 PM
I like Nancy, It's Sasha and Lauren I can't stand.

Yeah, the Valentines have never done too good. They keep having to mix the family up.

Princess
05-10-2009, 09:32 PM
I can't stand Lauren or Zoe much. Or Ash,but he's gone so it's all gone! Calvin makes up for it all :P

It's a brilliant soap,completely argee with what you said,so underrated!

andyman
05-10-2009, 11:05 PM
I like it.. :dance:

Tis rare i like soaps due to me being amazing and great n stuff, but Hollyoaks is dam good!.. Been watching one and off since 1995, think it was 95..

Tom4784
05-10-2009, 11:53 PM
I don't think the stories are that absurd really, The Ste storyline about that couple strying to kidnap Loukas was a bit sublime but in comparision to Eastender's Gangster flood and Fairground explosion.....As well as a few odd stories in Corrie over the years.

Jords
05-10-2009, 11:57 PM
Eastenders & Corrie ftw

Tom
06-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Hollyoaks Later = proof Hollyoaks has still got it and when Hollyoaks is good, its VERY good, but at the other extreme when its bad, it is absolutely shocking. Its currently in a low patch but all soaps go through them, I'm sure it will be out of it soon. I don't really bother with it anymore though but if Sarahs death doesn't win best exit at the next soap awards then yeah, Hollyoaks is criminally underrated. Also some of the Hannah bulimia scenes were some of the best in soap history

Scarlett.
06-10-2009, 12:22 AM
Hollyoaks Later = proof Hollyoaks has still got it and when Hollyoaks is good, its VERY good, but at the other extreme when its bad, it is absolutely shocking. Its currently in a low patch but all soaps go through them, I'm sure it will be out of it soon. I don't really bother with it anymore though but if Sarahs death doesn't win best exit at the next soap awards then yeah, Hollyoaks is criminally underrated. Also some of the Hannah bulimia scenes were some of the best in soap history It should win, but I dont think anything from Later can win, as it is a spin off, not a soap D: unless they change the rules to include it :3

Fom
06-10-2009, 12:52 AM
Dean I usually agree with you but no matter how much people try and praise Hollyoaks... it is still Hollyoaks. It is soaps in general for me, as someone who studies acting it is just painful to watch. Maybe it is because I analyze it... but they are really really bad actors. All of them... most people on soaps are.

Scarlett.
06-10-2009, 12:59 AM
Dean I usually agree with you but no matter how much people try and praise Hollyoaks... it is still Hollyoaks. It is soaps in general for me, as someone who studies acting it is just painful to watch. Maybe it is because I analyze it... but they are really really bad actors. All of them... most people on soaps are.

I know how that feels, like cause I study media, I tend to over analyse the shots they do xD

but I dont mind acting, as long as it is better than Rosie Websters

Tom
06-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Hollyoaks Later = proof Hollyoaks has still got it and when Hollyoaks is good, its VERY good, but at the other extreme when its bad, it is absolutely shocking. Its currently in a low patch but all soaps go through them, I'm sure it will be out of it soon. I don't really bother with it anymore though but if Sarahs death doesn't win best exit at the next soap awards then yeah, Hollyoaks is criminally underrated. Also some of the Hannah bulimia scenes were some of the best in soap history It should win, but I dont think anything from Later can win, as it is a spin off, not a soap D: unless they change the rules to include it :3

Stuff from the last Hollyoaks Later was nominated/won

Scarlett.
06-10-2009, 11:51 AM

Stuff from the last Hollyoaks Later was nominated/won Really? Oh well, I was wrong xD

Shaun
06-10-2009, 12:08 PM
No fanx.

For someone who hates soaps you seem to watch alot of it to be able to come to those conclusions?

Some people base their opinions and arguments on actual experience.