PDA

View Full Version : Larry Lamb Interview on Archies Death!

Patrick
25-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Not only is he at the heart of the gripping EastEnders whodunnit which sees warped Archie Mitchell bumped off in the Queen Vic, but the actor, 62, will also bid farewell to Mick Shipman as the third and final series of Gavin and Stacey draws to a close next week.

Not that any of this means we've seen the back of Larry.

With a host of projects in the pipeline, including his one-man show which he takes on a tour in February, he's not going very far.

And especially eagle-eyed viewers might even be able to spot him at Archie's funeral in the New Year... Speaking exclusively to the Mirror, Larry says: "It was just a laugh, really. I spoke to the director and she said it was a good idea.

"It's possible I'll appear on screen, but even if I do you wouldn't know it was me. I was dressed up in a black overcoat and trilby. The viewers certainly won't see Archie's face because that would make it all a bit silly.

"But that would give me a little flutter in the New Year.

"It was funny seeing the look on everyone's faces. I was the last person anyone expected to see. Barbara Windsor knew I was coming because we'd had a little joke about it over the phone, but the others had no idea.

"They were all dressed up and ready to go and bury Archie when suddenly there he is!

"My daughters Roxy and Ronnie (Rita Simons and Samantha Janus) were particularly amused by it."

After 18 months on the BBC soap, Larry's thrilled that Archie is getting such a big send off. But not even he knows who is responsible for his bloody demise, courtesy of a wallop on the head with the Queen Vic bust.

SUSPECTS

Prime suspects include Phil, Ronnie, Peggy and Janine, the temptress who seduced Archie into bed and a marriage proposal.

"Ah, Janine. The old boy still had a bit of steam left in him," says Larry with a smile.

"He was still a bit of a player and hadn't given up the ghost. She's a minx that one!

"But I very definitely don't know who murders Archie and neither do I want to.

"Actually, I don't know if anybody knows whodunnit yet. It's not going to be revealed until they do the performance on February 19 and knowing the way they work, it's possible the actor playing the guilty character may not know at this moment."

While Archie meets his maker, Larry will celebrate Christmas Day at his house in France with actress Claire Burt and their children Eloise, 10, and Eva Mathilde, six. But he'll tune in to raise a glass to Archie as he bows out.

"Oh, he's been fabulous to play and it's going to be sad to see him planted and gone. Archie wasn't bad on purpose, he's just a misguided, screwed-up male. As so many of us are.

"I feel quite sad about it but that's the life of an actor. You play these people, they live and they die. You move on."

Stacey.
25-12-2009, 08:55 PM
aw,thats sweet :thumbs:
He actually seems quite a decent man!! :)

Patrick
25-12-2009, 08:56 PM
aw,thats sweet :thumbs:
He actually seems quite a decent man!! :)

Yeah.
Archie was a legend, felt sorry for him.