PDA

View Full Version : Corrie planning TWO live episodes? Plus Hilda Ogden's return!?

Scarlett.
21-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Coronation Street is sensationally plotting to bring back its most famous character Hilda Ogden for blockbuster 50th anniversary live episodes.

In a move that could blow EastEnders' huge 25th birthday show last Friday out of the water, a galaxy of Street legends is set to return.

They could also include Mavis Wilton, Curly Watts and Tracy Barlow, as well as a guest appearance by Oasis star Noel Gallagher.

Advertisement

Show chiefs have been hatching plans for dramatic shows featuring movie-style stunts for Corrie's birthday in December.

And they were encouraged when the EastEnders anniversary episode drew a huge 16.6million viewers to see Bradley Branning fall to his death off and Stacey Slater confess she killed Archie Mitchell. The outcome had been one of the Square's best kept secrets. Lacey Turner, who plays Stacey, only learned she was the murderer 20 minutes before the live broadcast.

But ITV are confident Corrie's 50th anniversary will be even bigger and better. Producer Kim Crowther said: "We are planning lots. It will be must-see television. I'd love to see Hilda back."

Insiders revealed that Corrie is hoping to show at least two live birthday episodes - with a sizzling storyline that will put the Archie Mitchell whodunnit in the shade.

A mole said: "EastEnders was brilliant but Corrie is twice as old and is planning to be twice as jaw-dropping, like nothing seen before. Corrie is cooking up ways to really blow fans' minds. The fact they want Hilda back, shows they want it to be the stuff of soap legend."

Live episodes of Corrie were transmitted weekly in its early days and a live show for its 40th anniversary in 2000 drew 17.5million viewers.

Hilda, played by 83-year-old Jean Alexander, was last seen on the Street in 1987, when her final scenes attracted 27million viewers.

In an online chat, producer Kim suggested they may also talk to Kate Ford, 32, who played Tracy Barlow. She said: "There may well be some exciting returning cast. It would be fab to see Tracy Barlow back, wouldn't it? "Noel Gallagher would be great as well. There are also plans for some new faces in the factory."

Our mole added: "This year is the ultimate war of the soaps. EastEnders set the bar high on Friday but Corrie will want to smash it. Whatever happens, they will make it go with a bang."

The People

Patrick
21-02-2010, 12:23 PM
:rolleyes:

'Smash Eastenders'

'Bigger and Better than Eastenders'

Like you said Yesterday Chewy, I do love the rivarly :joker: It should be good to see the ratings and the reception but it will be very hard for them to beat Eastenders even with 2 Live shows as they dont have that big a storyline.

Ruth*Star
21-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Ugh :rolleyes:

Scarlett.
21-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Cant say they're copying EE, Corrie did a live episode 10 years ago xD plus the show was originally filmed live in 1960 :p

Patrick
21-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Cant say they're copying EE, Corrie did a live episode 10 years ago xD plus the show was originally filmed live in 1960 :p

Was it? :shocked: So they went live in the first place?

I know there not copying EE I did hear somthing about a Live Corrie episode in the past but they mentioned EE about 3 Times in that post obviously there going to try and be better than it but it just wont work because EE had a massive storyline, the anniversary, live episode, and a death.

They will have an anniversary, live episode and some women returning you know?

I will tune in though just to see if any mistakes are made, But I might start watching on its anniversary week just to follow the story.

Scarlett.
21-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Was it? :shocked: So they went live in the first place?

I know there not copying EE I did hear somthing about a Live Corrie episode in the past but they mentioned EE about 3 Times in that post obviously there going to try and be better than it but it just wont work because EE had a massive storyline, the anniversary, live episode, and a death.

They will have an anniversary, live episode and some women returning you know?

I will tune in though just to see if any mistakes are made, But I might start watching on its anniversary week just to follow the story.
Blame the people who wrote the article, or this mole xD

The storyline is already starting with it, Gail Platt will apparently be one of the central characters for the episodes, and Tracy Barlow too I imagine :p

MissKittyFantastico
21-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Hilda Ogden! Mavis! Curly! :shocked:

That will be amazing! Good old Corrie, I love both these soaps but lean towards Corrie being my fave.

Great stuff!

Callum
21-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Doubt this is true.

Scarlett.
21-02-2010, 01:03 PM
I hope at least one of the old legends return, Bet Lynch should come back! xD

flemin
21-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Sounds good. I can't believe it's been ten years since they did their last live episode.

Scarlett.
21-02-2010, 01:21 PM
I wonder if any Royals will make an apperance this time? :D

Smithy
21-02-2010, 01:26 PM
I just read this in the paper :p
Bringing back hilda would be huge, hope they dont bring curly back though, dont reall se his appeal :(

Scarlett.
21-02-2010, 01:28 PM
I loved Curly! :eek:

Smithy
21-02-2010, 01:29 PM
No, just though he was a bit too Dorky, they should bring back Hilda then kill her off, that would bring in huge ratings.

Or kill off Ken (not that i want that to happen, its just it would bring in ratings :P)

flemin
21-02-2010, 01:30 PM
I though Jean Alexander has said she would never go back and that she doesn't watch it anymore.

Scarlett.
21-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Ken cant be killed off! Not when he is about to become the worlds longest serving actor!

Smithy
21-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Ken cant be killed off! Not when he is about to become the worlds longest serving actor!

That would be the point, it would be such a shock, the show of the decade.

They should bring back Bet Lynch, i liked her :p

Alf
21-02-2010, 01:45 PM
soap characters dont come bigger and better than hilda ogden
if they market it well, she'll pull in a huge audiance

Alf
21-02-2010, 01:46 PM
I wonder if any Royals will make an apperance this time? :D
jim might do it (my arse)

Scarlett.
21-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Haha that'd be great

Stacey.
21-02-2010, 02:21 PM
oh my god.. not another old one coming back? :bored:

Scarlett.
21-02-2010, 02:22 PM
^ That's what makes Corrie different, it remember's it's history

Smithy
21-02-2010, 02:24 PM
oh my god.. not another old one coming back? :bored:

because Eastenders great at hiring a new cast, look at the last few arrivals

Bianca
Ricky
Kat
Alfie
Nasty Nick

.....oh wait

Stacey.
21-02-2010, 02:26 PM
because Eastenders great and not bringing back a load of oldies

Bianca
Ricky
Kat
Alfie
Nasty Nick

.....oh wait

no... Im on about literally old [as in age]
She looks about 90!

Smithy
21-02-2010, 02:30 PM
She looks about 90!

:shocked:

Your so ageist then, theres nothing wrong with haveing old people on the street,
gives a more realistic idea of the UK population demographic.

Stacey.
21-02-2010, 02:32 PM

Your so ageist then, theres nothing wrong with haveing old people on the street,
gives a more realistic idea of the UK population demographic.

LOL im not ageist.
:confused:
i just prefer to see new, young faces! :)
Who can create new storylines, and more drama :D

Scarlett.
21-02-2010, 02:32 PM
She looks about 90!

So? She's a Corrie legend

Stacey.
21-02-2010, 02:33 PM
So? She's a Corrie legend

maybe.
i wasnt around in the 60s or whenever she was about! :hugesmile:

Scarlett.
21-02-2010, 02:35 PM
maybe.

Oh...well sorry, the world never existed before you was born then?

Smithy
21-02-2010, 02:35 PM
LOL im not ageist.

Old people can probably have more drama.

People who are older are more likely to suffer from diseases, which can really raise awareness for people

flemin
21-02-2010, 02:36 PM
LOL im not ageist.
Corrie has more older characters because it's been around for so much longer than the rest. EE will be the same in 25 years time.

Anyway, I love the oldies like Norris, Rita and Emily. They're great at the comedy scenes :hugesmile:

Stacey.
21-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Oh...well sorry, the world never existed before you was born then?

:bored:
Just not my scene, thats all!!

Scarlett.
21-02-2010, 02:38 PM
:bored:
Just not my scene, thats all!!

Well then...why are you bothered? It's obviously other people's "scene" why concern yourself with it?

Stacey.
Old people can probably have more drama.

People who are older are more likely to suffer from diseases, which can really raise awareness for people

Diseases?
no thanks!
thats depressing!
We want fun, drama! :)

Stacey.
Well then...why are you bothered? It's obviously other people's "scene" why concern yourself with it?

i was only commenting!
You could have just left it. :shrug:

Smithy
maybe.

So, everyone has seen her clip where she breaks down over her husbands glases.
Its legendary a legendary soap moment.

Smithy
21-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Diseases?
no thanks!
thats depressing!
We want fun, drama! :)

Because "Ronnielle" was just hilarious wasnt it

Scarlett.
21-02-2010, 02:40 PM
i was only commenting!
You could have just left it. :shrug:
Fair enough you was just commenting, but you kept commenting, therefore derailing the thread

Stacey.
21-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Because "Ronnielle" was just hilarious wasnt it

it wasnt depressing though..
It kept you hooked on the whole story for ages :hugesmile:
it was exciting!

flemin
21-02-2010, 02:42 PM
it was exciting!
It kept me hooked, but the ending where she dies was pure headline grabbing.

btw I do like EE.

Smithy
21-02-2010, 02:42 PM
it was exciting!

It was depressing, especially at then end of it where they just kill her off. The whole story was pretty pointless tbh. No-one even mentions her anymore.

Scarlett.
21-02-2010, 02:43 PM
I remember when Mike Baldwin got alzhimers back in 2005, it was one of the saddest storylines I have seen in Corrie, a big character like him become what he came was sad, but it made good viewing and was one of my fave storylines

Smithy
21-02-2010, 02:44 PM
I remember when Mike Baldwin got alzhimers back in 2005, it was one of the saddest storylines I have seen in Corrie, a big character like him become what he came was sad, but it made good viewing and was one of my fave storylines

Yep, raised awareness too, id never heard of it before.

Now theres no Baldwins on the street :(

Scarlett.
21-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Indeed, I miss Danny :(

bbfan1991
21-02-2010, 02:45 PM
^ That's what makes Corrie different, it remember's it's history

Good for them but Eastenders does remember theirs too but actually move things forward present tense. IMHO now Corrie haven't got a chance of catching EE but I hope they have a great 50th anniversary:).

Smithy
He was gonna return too wasnt he :(

I really liked frankie too, she should come back for just a couple of episodes

Stacey.
It was depressing, especially at then end of it where they just kill her off. The whole story was pretty pointless tbh. No-one even mentions her anymore.

it was a great storyline :p
You probably never watched properly anyway :rolleyes:
because it was far from pointless, and she is still mentioned!

Smithy
21-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Good for them but Eastenders does remember theirs too but actually move things forward present tense. IMHO now Corrie haven't got a chance of catching EE but I hope they have a great 50th anniversary:).

:laugh2:

How are corrie not in the present may i ask?

Smithy
21-02-2010, 02:46 PM

I did actually watch it, and it was so predictable she'd get killed. They never let anyone have a happy moment in Eastenders.

Smithy
21-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Chewy, why didnt you put this in the Corrie thread and just change the title :p

flemin
21-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Oh come now. EE is full of misery which makes alot of people who watch it (including me) feel depressed. That's what it's known for, it's not necessarily a bad thing. We're all different and entitled to our opinions afterall ;)

flemin
21-02-2010, 02:50 PM
I did actually watch it, and it was so predictable she'd get killed. They never let anyone have a happy moment in Eastenders.
LoL, it always has to end in death on that show.

bbfan1991
21-02-2010, 02:50 PM
:laugh2:

How are corrie not in the present may i ask?

They're old fashioned;). Corrie is more like a comedy than a soap... Eastenders is a drama.

Smithy
21-02-2010, 02:52 PM
They're old fashioned;). Corrie is more like a comedy than a soap... Eastenders is a drama.

Thats rubbish.

How is a man murdering his wife's toyboy, divorcing her. Getting it on with the guy he killed's widow then trying to kil his ex and two elderly men a comedy?

flemin
21-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Soaps aren't necessarily dramas. They can be anything, and since Corrie came first, surely it defines the genre.

I do agree though, they need more drama. Take note Phil!

MrGaryy
21-02-2010, 03:12 PM
I agree with Stacey tbh. I love Corrie but it is seriously lacking in a more youthful cast.

This all sounds great however, I can't wait!

flemin
21-02-2010, 03:15 PM
I agree with Stacey tbh. I love Corrie but it is seriously lacking in a more youthful cast.

This all sounds great however, I can't wait!
I agree that they need more young'uns however I disagreed with the way she bashed the older cast.

Smithy
21-02-2010, 03:17 PM
tbh i dont think the street needs to many young people. It wouldnt be realisitc

They have; Rosie, Sophie, Ryan, Sian, David, Graehme, Chesney & Gary.

(does amy barlow and simon count too)

MrGaryy
21-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Rosie and David are the only ones who ever get very much screen time however.

where as Dev, Norris, Rita, Liz, Audrey, Gail, Sally, Ken, Deirdre, ect. are never off our screens.

Smithy
21-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Rosie and David are the only ones who ever get very much screen time however.

where as Dev, Norris, Rita, Liz, Audrey, Gail, Sally, Ken, Deirdre, ect. are never off our screens.

Well Sian and Sophie have an upcoming lesbian plot.
Garys army storyline is also supposed to be quite big this year too.

Rita has been on a cruise for the past four months btw.

MrGaryy
21-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Well Sian and Sophie have an upcoming lesbian plot.
Garys army storyline is also supposed to be quite big this year too.

Rita has been on a cruise for the past four months btw.

yeah I know but prior to that and now afterwards, she alwasy gets a lot of air time.

I hadn't heard of the Sophie and Sian story, that should be great!

Smithy
21-02-2010, 03:27 PM
yeah I know but prior to that and now afterwards, she alwasy gets a lot of air time.

I hadn't heard of the Sophie and Sian story, that should be great!

Yep, the streets first lesbian kiss

Mrluvaluva
21-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Love to see Hilda back. 27 million viewers in 1987 was some mean feat.

Scarlett.
21-02-2010, 05:50 PM
indeed it was!

sooty
21-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Coronation Street is sensationally plotting to bring back its most famous character Hilda Ogden for blockbuster 50th anniversary live episodes.
The People

Really? really? really?:amazed:

*mazedsalv**
21-02-2010, 05:58 PM
I hope it doesnt beat them in the ratings though.

Mrluvaluva
21-02-2010, 05:59 PM
We only had 4 channels back in those days I think or was SKY already around in then? I cannot remember.

Scarlett.
21-02-2010, 06:10 PM
In the 1980's? nah, I think it started in the 90's :p

Mrluvaluva
21-02-2010, 06:15 PM
I just checked on Wiki and it says Sky 1 started in 1982 even before Channel 4. I did not think it was that early.

Scarlett.
21-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Whoa! Neither did I O_O

flemin
21-02-2010, 06:17 PM
I thought Sky was quite recent, like late 90s. Who even had Sky in 1982?

Mrluvaluva
21-02-2010, 06:23 PM
I think I only had it originally about early to mid 90s. Most of the channels were pretty crap at that time.

flemin
21-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Most of the channels still are crap imo

Mrluvaluva
21-02-2010, 06:48 PM
That is true. We have so much choice now but sometimes I still find it difficult to choose something to watch. Programmes like Corrie got more viewers back then because the choice was more limited. I don't think Sky took off until a fair few years after it started.

flemin
21-02-2010, 06:52 PM
I think the problem with Sky is that most of the channels are unnecessary and full of repeats. Back in the days before I had it I'd be less picky and more likely to just watch what's on.

Mrluvaluva
21-02-2010, 07:06 PM
You are right about repeats. So many programmes and series are repeated over and over again. Look at Friends for example.

Alf
21-02-2010, 08:25 PM
some hilda clips, couldn't find much

8UtBOeY7pXM

poor sound quality, but you get to hear her do her famous stanleyyyyy yell
yzmTcaFC4a8

UKKjc5v6r-M

cant find a part 1 to this (shame)
6OyJ4_qv06Q

Smithy
21-02-2010, 08:28 PM
I was trying to find her crying clip to show stacey, but i couldnt find it

Alf
21-02-2010, 08:30 PM
I was trying to find her crying clip to show stacey, but i couldnt find it
CXhp1J0Usng&feature=related

Smithy
21-02-2010, 09:02 PM

Thats it, TY.

sooty
25-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Those clips,,,,.

Wow:amazed:

Tom4784
25-02-2010, 09:15 PM
I hate the sound of it, Corrie might have done a live episode first but it was terrible in comparision to EE's and it's like Corrie's copying them now. I just can't care, I'm more bothered about Tracey coming back really then this poor attempt to cash in on EE.

sooty
25-02-2010, 09:50 PM
I hate the sound of it, Corrie might have done a live episode first but it was terrible in comparision to EE's and it's like Corrie's copying them now. I just can't care, I'm more bothered about Tracey coming back really then this poor attempt to cash in on EE.

Yes, but I think in order to atract more young viewers, Corrie has no alternative but to adapt like EE storylines.

Tom
25-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Yes, but I think in order to atract more young viewers, Corrie has no alternative but to adapt like EE storylines.

Corrie has always had older viewers so its not as though once everyone over 50 is dead, they won't have any viewers left.

Corrie has always been much more calmer, less dramatic and has much more humour than Eastenders does. They're both completely different shows, the only similarity is that they are both long running.

Corrie is what it is, and they don't have to adapt at all. It has lasted 50 years for a reason.

Corrie's live episode was for nothing more than going back to its roots when it went out live every day and it was a sort of tribute show and iirc they broke down the barrier and thanked viewers for watching ... for Eastenders it was for completely different reasons.

Tom4784
26-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Corrie's live episode was for nothing more than going back to its roots when it went out live every day and it was a sort of tribute show and iirc they broke down the barrier and thanked viewers for watching ... for Eastenders it was for completely different reasons.

So they've decided to do these set of live episodes for reasons completely unrelated to EE's recent success? You're right about the first live one but this pair is just cashing in from EE's success.

sooty
26-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Corrie has always had older viewers so its not as though once everyone over 50 is dead, they won't have any viewers left.

Corrie has always been much more calmer, less dramatic and has much more humour than Eastenders does. They're both completely different shows, the only similarity is that they are both long running.

Corrie is what it is, and they don't have to adapt at all. It has lasted 50 years for a reason.

I hope so.

sooty
26-02-2010, 02:31 PM

Ha ha ha Stacey, you are only 14, but you have more guts than I do.:hugesmile:

Stacey, there are full of Corrie fans here. You are getting what you are asking for.:wink:

Tom
26-02-2010, 05:16 PM
So they've decided to do these set of live episodes for reasons completely unrelated to EE's recent success? You're right about the first live one but this pair is just cashing in from EE's success.

It probably is and EE has probably set the benchmark- they need something equally as gripping. But I'm just saying the original anniversary episodes were made with different motives.

MeMyselfAndI
26-02-2010, 05:17 PM
I prefure Eastenders :(.

Tom4784
26-02-2010, 05:22 PM
It probably is and EE has probably set the benchmark- they need something equally as gripping. But I'm just saying the original anniversary episodes were made with different motives.

Fair point, I just hope they can match EE really and aren't just gonna do a normal episode live for the hell of it.