PDA

View Full Version : Hollyoaks stars fear show faces axe

Scarlett.
07-04-2010, 12:21 PM
The cast of Channel 4 soap Hollyoaks fear that the drama will be axed due to poor ratings, a report has claimed.

Over the Easter holidays, the teen serial slumped to 850,000 viewers - a mere 10,000 above the programme's all-time ratings low of 840,000, which occurred on New Year's Eve.

Hollyoaks is currently undergoing a major revamp following the arrival of new series producer Paul Marquess, who has already culled a string of characters, shaken up the show's production team and begun casting for a new family.

However, despite Marquess's attempts to turn the soap's fortunes around, one senior cast member is quoted by the Daily Star as saying: "It's a really worrying time for everyone connected to the show. Not only have we had a new boss come in and cull a load of characters, we've had some of the worst viewing figures in years.

"It doesn't inspire confidence both on screen and off it. Watching The Bill being axed just shows that anything is possible. No-one is sure what the future holds. We're keeping everything crossed that we can pull through this."

Playing down the report, a Channel 4 spokesman insisted: "Hollyoaks remains a strong part of Channel 4's schedule. And as the flagship soap it is still the only long-running nightly drama for young British audiences.

"Fans can look forward to explosive storylines in the coming months when new episodes from Paul Marquess hit the screens."

Digital Spy

InOne
07-04-2010, 12:57 PM
The glory days are over, goodbye Hollyoaks

Barbie
07-04-2010, 01:05 PM
i don't like hollyoaks, i link it to T4 alot, which i dont like either but lets not go there!

I don't think a revamp will help it really, it might be aimed at teenagers but with long runnings soaps like Eastenders and Corrie i dont think it will work. I watched it for a week in december i think it was and just thought it was awful.

Scarlett.
07-04-2010, 01:08 PM
I dont think it was the right time to axe half the cast either, it will destablise the show quite a bit

bbfan1991
07-04-2010, 02:36 PM
I've watched HO for ages now and would be gutted if the show was axed:(. About this revamp something had to be done to try and change it or else the show would have just got more dreadful and stale... C4 seem to say that they still have faith in the show but then again they said that about Big Brother:rolleyes:.

I'm looking forward to what the new producer has planned tbh:hugesmile:.

Princess
07-04-2010, 02:49 PM
I havn't watched it in a while and I don't like how they're getting rid of some many good cast members.

DrunkerThanMoses
07-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Its obvious it will be anyway

arista
07-04-2010, 03:25 PM
The glory days are over, goodbye Hollyoaks

Even Filmed in HD now.

As we have E4HD now.

Its up to the writers.

bbfan1991
07-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Even Filmed in HD now.

As we have E4HD now.

Its up to the writers.

I thought you would have been worried about the potential loss of the sexy babes:p.

Stacey.
07-04-2010, 03:34 PM
i dont mind Hollyoaks - watch it occasionally.
hope they dont axe it :(

arista
07-04-2010, 03:48 PM
I thought you would have been worried about the potential loss of the sexy babes:p.

No as so many more New ITV dramas are now being made
more than the Bloated BBC, infact.

They move around on projects.

Rob
07-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Playing down the report, a Channel 4 spokesman insisted: "Hollyoaks remains a strong part of Channel 4's schedule.
Digital Spy

A few years ago that said the exact same thing about Big Brother, looks like its bye bye hollyoaks then doesn't it!

Beastie
07-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Too many teeny boppers or they are just a bunch of slags. Shoot the lot of them.

WOMBAI
07-04-2010, 04:46 PM
The cast of Channel 4 soap Hollyoaks fear that the drama will be axed due to poor ratings, a report has claimed.

Over the Easter holidays, the teen serial slumped to 850,000 viewers - a mere 10,000 above the programme's all-time ratings low of 840,000, which occurred on New Year's Eve.

Hollyoaks is currently undergoing a major revamp following the arrival of new series producer Paul Marquess, who has already culled a string of characters, shaken up the show's production team and begun casting for a new family.

However, despite Marquess's attempts to turn the soap's fortunes around, one senior cast member is quoted by the Daily Star as saying: "It's a really worrying time for everyone connected to the show. Not only have we had a new boss come in and cull a load of characters, we've had some of the worst viewing figures in years.

"It doesn't inspire confidence both on screen and off it. Watching The Bill being axed just shows that anything is possible. No-one is sure what the future holds. We're keeping everything crossed that we can pull through this."

Playing down the report, a Channel 4 spokesman insisted: "Hollyoaks remains a strong part of Channel 4's schedule. And as the flagship soap it is still the only long-running nightly drama for young British audiences.

"Fans can look forward to explosive storylines in the coming months when new episodes from Paul Marquess hit the screens."

Digital Spy

No loss - biggest load of crap!

Mrluvaluva
07-04-2010, 06:29 PM
I don't like this deluge of new characters. Something needs to be done to change it around. They have quite a job on their hands to get it back to what it was.

Are the figures just from the Channel 4 viewings? I ask because I never watch it on Channel 4. I watch the E4 episodes each day and I am sure a lot of others too.

Smithy
07-04-2010, 08:30 PM
They need to do what Emmerdale did, the show was failing so have a massive disaster (plane crash in Emmerdale's case) and bring in a load of new cast members. They just need to re-vamp the show

Tom4784
07-04-2010, 08:34 PM
They won't cancel it yet yet unless it drops much lower then that and stays there. C4 ratings are always low, newspapers just like to compare ratings to BBC/ITV to create 'axe' narratives.

2k9david2k10
07-04-2010, 08:50 PM
I agree tht holloaks is not what it used to be but i think the revamp thats happening over the next few month could save it with new cast mebers such as sheree murphy joning as anitas mother and footballers wives star Phina Oruche as the mother of a new mixed race family could be just what it needs :P

Phina Oruche
http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Shows/A_F/Fi_Fp/FootballersWives/season5/footballers-wives-x13.jpg

Sheree Murphy
http://www.celebrity-pictures.ca/Celebrities/Sheree-Murphy/Sheree-Murphy-i157228.jpg