PDA

View Full Version : Hundreds left furious over Eastenders dropped on Tuesday Night.

Patrick
14-05-2010, 04:00 PM
It is the first hung parliament for 36 years and the first coalition government since the Second World War.

But hundreds of BBC viewers were left furious because the broadcaster dropped episodes of EastEnders and Holby City to broadcast a news special on Gordon Brown’s resignation.

The programme showed the Prime Minister's resignation speech, detailed the end of 13 years of Labour rule, and David Cameron's arrival and speech at Downing Street.

Despite historic changes in the real world, it seems many would have preferred to have watched the fictional goings on around Walford’s market stalls and in Holby’s hospital.

Astonishingly by last night more than 1,000 had made formal complaints to the corporation, angry at the interruption to their television schedule on Tuesday night.

One viewer said: ‘I don't feel that there is any point showing a election broadcast, which is just showing Gordon Brown going to Buckingham Palace!'

'If I or any one else wants to see this, theres the BBC News Channel, or online. This has ruined my television pleasure today when I just wanted to watch EastEnders.’

The BBC instead broadcast the two dramas on Wednesday night, but this had a knock on effect on Wednesday night programming.

School drama Waterloo Road has been pushed two weeks which also resulted in the BBC receiving hundreds of complaints, while the billed edition of DIY SOS was dropped and has yet to be rescheduled.

In a statement the broadcaster defended its position, stating: ‘The events that unfolded on 11 May 2010 will have a major significance for the whole of the UK.

‘Gordon Brown's resignation was of national importance. This also started proceedings of installing a new Prime Minister and the first coalition government in the UK for 70 years.

‘As public service broadcaster we are expected to cover such events and viewers come to BBC1 to experience such moments.’

The BBC News Special pulled in a peak audience of 11.5 million on BBC1.

Ruth*Star
14-05-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm not surprised people complained after seeing some of the comments on Facebook and Twitter, I was a bit annoyed on the night but got over it but i wouldn't waste my time complaining over it, It was aired 24 hours later, whats the problem, Its not like it was cancelled never to be aired again.

Vicky.
14-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Some people are pathetic :rolleyes:

One missed episode and there is an uproar?!

Jessica.
14-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Some people are pathetic :rolleyes:

One missed episode and there is an uproar?!

Exactly :joker:

Patrick
14-05-2010, 04:05 PM
I complained LOL

I just did it to do my bit because I was bored tbh, but I complained on Wednesday over somthing IMO much more important.

Waterloo Road has been pushed back 2 weeks, thats just out of order.

Smithy
14-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Patrick was it just you complaining hundreds of times under different names?

You have been a little less active the past couple of days...

Stacey.
14-05-2010, 04:06 PM
i don't think there's any need for people to go to that extreme! lol.
like, it was annoying, but it was on again the next night.

Jack_
14-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Laughable. Absolutely laughable. Seriously.

If anyone believes for one moment that a fictitious soap opera is more important than coverage of one of the biggest moments in British politics for a long, long time, then you are completely deluded. They don't even compare. And it was only postponed for 24 hours anyway, it's hardly something worth throwing your toys out of the pram for. These complaints are even more ridiculous than those sent in regarding Big Brother. What a joke.

Loukas
14-05-2010, 04:26 PM
I was pissed off with them taking off Eastenders. But it CAN wait. That was a moment that is going down in history and BBC1 were right to move Eastenders!

ILoveTRW
14-05-2010, 04:29 PM
you could still watch the episode on BBC3 at 10pm anyway

Jackie
14-05-2010, 04:45 PM
I was annoyed but not that serious to complain about it lol.

Patrick
14-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Patrick was it just you complaining hundreds of times under different names?

You have been a little less active the past couple of days...

LOL

I cba posting that much thats why, theres not been much hype about BB11 as I thought there would be in May so im just waiting on the eye to kick it off.

I really was looking forward to seeing how much complaints they got, it makes me proud to know I was one of those 1,000 that complained. :p

Patrick
14-05-2010, 04:48 PM
you could still watch the episode on BBC3 at 10pm anyway

No you couldnt.

BigBrotherfan4ever
15-05-2010, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE=Vicky.;3228355]Some people are pathetic :rolleyes:

One missed episode and there is an uproar?![/QUOTe
:thumbs:

Scarlett.
15-05-2010, 01:13 PM
What a bunch of knobheads, what is the point in complaining, Parliament is more important than anything on TV

BigBrotherfan4ever
15-05-2010, 01:17 PM
What a bunch of knobheads, what is the point in complaining, Parliament is more important than anything on TV

100% agree:thumbs:

ILoveTRW
15-05-2010, 01:22 PM
No you couldnt.

im sure it was on bbc3 on tuesday

Patrick
15-05-2010, 01:25 PM
im sure it was on bbc3 on tuesday

It said it was but it wasnt.

Barbie
15-05-2010, 01:44 PM
I was annoyed they did it, and think that most of the viewers were probably waiting for eastenders or holby, it could have easily moved to the news channel like someone said, however i dont think the news channel is avaliable to everyone, like people who don't have sky etc
The news was important and eastenders can wait for the next day, its not as if the Queen and Gordon Brown will wait till eastenders is over.

So although i was a bit annoyed there's no way i would complain.

Iceman
15-05-2010, 01:45 PM

exactly.....

Scarlett.
15-05-2010, 01:49 PM
I was annoyed they did it, and think that most of the viewers were probably waiting for eastenders or holby, it could have easily moved to the news channel like someone said, however i dont think the news channel is avaliable to everyone, like people who don't have sky etc
The news was important and eastenders can wait for the next day, its not as if the Queen and Gordon Brown will wait till eastenders is over.

So although i was a bit annoyed there's no way i would complain.

The BBC is a public broadcasting service, this means it has obligation to provide news like this to EVERYONE, meaning it had to be on BBC One, as this is the channel everyone watches most, if they hadnt shown it on terrestrial, the BBC would be in trouble

Barbie
15-05-2010, 02:24 PM
The BBC is a public broadcasting service, this means it has obligation to provide news like this to EVERYONE, meaning it had to be on BBC One, as this is the channel everyone watches most, if they hadnt shown it on terrestrial, the BBC would be in trouble

Hold on, i agreed that they were right to show it, because the news channel isn't avaliable to everyone?

Scarlett.
15-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Hold on, i agreed that they were right to show it, because the news channel isn't avaliable to everyone?
Oh yeah...xD I sometimes quote someone, meaning to say something, then go off a completely different path :p

Barbie
15-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Oh yeah...xD I sometimes quote someone, meaning to say something, then go off a completely different path :p

Haha don't worry, :)

I think you have my birhtday in your sig

28th may if i read it right :)

EDIT: yes i did read it right lol

Scarlett.
15-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Haha don't worry, :)

I think you have my birhtday in your sig

28th may if i read it right :)

EDIT: yes i did read it right lol

lol well, happy birthday for then! xD

WOMBAI
15-05-2010, 03:24 PM
It is the first hung parliament for 36 years and the first coalition government since the Second World War.

But hundreds of BBC viewers were left furious because the broadcaster dropped episodes of EastEnders and Holby City to broadcast a news special on Gordon Brown’s resignation.

The programme showed the Prime Minister's resignation speech, detailed the end of 13 years of Labour rule, and David Cameron's arrival and speech at Downing Street.

Despite historic changes in the real world, it seems many would have preferred to have watched the fictional goings on around Walford’s market stalls and in Holby’s hospital.

Astonishingly by last night more than 1,000 had made formal complaints to the corporation, angry at the interruption to their television schedule on Tuesday night.

One viewer said: ‘I don't feel that there is any point showing a election broadcast, which is just showing Gordon Brown going to Buckingham Palace!'

'If I or any one else wants to see this, theres the BBC News Channel, or online. This has ruined my television pleasure today when I just wanted to watch EastEnders.’

The BBC instead broadcast the two dramas on Wednesday night, but this had a knock on effect on Wednesday night programming.

School drama Waterloo Road has been pushed two weeks which also resulted in the BBC receiving hundreds of complaints, while the billed edition of DIY SOS was dropped and has yet to be rescheduled.

In a statement the broadcaster defended its position, stating: ‘The events that unfolded on 11 May 2010 will have a major significance for the whole of the UK.

‘Gordon Brown's resignation was of national importance. This also started proceedings of installing a new Prime Minister and the first coalition government in the UK for 70 years.

‘As public service broadcaster we are expected to cover such events and viewers come to BBC1 to experience such moments.’

The BBC News Special pulled in a peak audience of 11.5 million on BBC1.

Not bothered - don't watch it any more - just got bored with it!

Beastie
15-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Eastenders is sh!t anyway.