PDA

View Full Version : EastEnders goes HD

Scarlett.
28-05-2010, 11:17 AM
BBC soap EastEnders will broadcast in high definition for the first time in the autumn, it has been announced.

The Walford serial's switch to HD ties in with the BBC's plans to simulcast "the majority" of BBC One programming before the end of the year.

Other programmes scheduled to make the transition include Holby City, Waterloo Road and Casualty.

Last year, former executive producer Diederick Santer revealed that some parts of the Albert Square set didn't "pass muster" in the high quality filming format.

He said: "Until we've either completely refurbed the exterior set or moved the programme somewhere else and built it from scratch, then we're not going to be going HD."

Preparations are currently afoot at the soap's home at Elstree Studios in Borehamwood, Herts, ahead of its move to HD production within the next few months.

In September, EastEnders revamped its title sequence, replacing the old blue, green and grey map with a three-dimensional version, for HD broadcast.

Hollyoaks became the first of the Big Four UK soaps to air in HD in June 2008.

On Monday, Coronation Street makes it debut on ITV HD with its stripped week of 9pm editions featuring Tony Gordon's prison break and factory siege. ITV recently unveiled new-look titles ahead of its first transmission.

Digital Spy

Copycats :whistle: :joker: :p

Jords
28-05-2010, 11:19 AM
HD :hello:

Firewire
28-05-2010, 11:20 AM
It was going to happen anyway.

But yay!

Scarlett.
28-05-2010, 11:21 AM
They'll need to update the sets massively, the houses arent even made of real brick are they?

Firewire
28-05-2010, 11:23 AM
They'll need to update the sets massively, the houses arent even made of real brick are they?

tbh I'm not. I thought they were real. I knew the Queen Vic wasn't though. That's like wooden.

Firewire
28-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Are the Corrie ones real?

Or was it less of a problem because Weatherfield isn't a Victorian town?

Scarlett.
28-05-2010, 11:29 AM
tbh I'm not. I thought they were real. I knew the Queen Vic wasn't though. That's like wooden.

I might be out of date not sure, but I remember hearing all the houses are facades

Scarlett.
28-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Are the Corrie ones real?

Or was it less of a problem because Weatherfield isn't a Victorian town?

Corrie's are fully red brick houses :p the back street ones arent though xD and neither is Rosamund Street xD

http://www.aerial-manchester.co.uk/coronation-street.jpg

Firewire
28-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Oh okay. I think the EE ones are fake though. Do they film interior scenes in the actual builidngs, or in a studio like EE?

Scarlett.
28-05-2010, 11:35 AM
All soaps usually film indoors, the only soap that didnt was Brookside, they fitted cameras into the walls of the houses, Corrie's houses only have the basic layout (for door scenes, where you can see the stairs in the background) the new Victoria Street extention will probably all be facades though, for some places on Corrie they do have real interiors (The chippy, bookies and the butchers)

Firewire
28-05-2010, 11:37 AM
All soaps usually film indoors, the only soap that didnt was Brookside, they fitted cameras into the walls of the houses, Corrie's houses only have the basic layout (for door scenes, where you can see the stairs in the background) the new Victoria Street extention will probably all be facades though, for some places on Corrie they do have real interiors (The chippy, bookies and the butchers)

Oh okay. The only place in EE where they have a real interior is the Minute Mart. Same with the basic door scenes.

Firewire
28-05-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm looking forward to Corrie's siege week though. Not a huge watcher, but I watch when something big is happening.

Scarlett.
28-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Oh okay. The only place in EE where they have a real interior is the Minute Mart. Same with the basic door scenes.

It will be interesting to see if there are any noticeable changes on the EE set :p

Firewire
28-05-2010, 11:40 AM
It will be interesting to see if there are any noticeable changes on the EE set :p

Yeah lol. It's easy with the interior though. It's because Walford is a Victorian Town, everything is 19th Century.

Scarlett.
28-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Aye, interiors are easy to do up :P just slap some new wallpaper on xD

Funny, I though Emmerdale would be the first to go HD after Hollyoaks, now its the last

Firewire
28-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Aye, interiors are easy to do up :P just slap some new wallpaper on xD

Funny, I though Emmerdale would be the first to go HD after Hollyoaks, now its the last

Yeah. I would have thought Emmerdale would've went HD before Corrie. I was sure EastEnders would've waited at least a few years.

Scarlett.
28-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Yeah, Emmerdale got HD cameras like back in 2008 and were looking into it then, though apparently they will go HD next year when the Yorkshire studios are done up

I think Corrie going HD has made the EE producers buck up their ideas xD

Firewire
28-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Yeah, Emmerdale got HD cameras like back in 2008 and were looking into it then, though apparently they will go HD next year when the Yorkshire studios are done up

I think Corrie going HD has made the EE producers buck up their ideas xD

Yeah lol.

I don't think the time is right for EE though. They haven't even decided what they're gonna do and just decided 'HD over next few months'.

Scarlett.
28-05-2010, 11:50 AM
I think they might have a big HD launch week like Corrie are next week

Oh, and EE's titles are HD ready....but Corrie's are 3D ready xD

Firewire
28-05-2010, 11:51 AM
I think they might have a big HD launch week like Corrie are next week

Oh, and EE's titles are HD ready....but Corrie's are 3D ready xD

I just realised EE's were lol. Imagine a 3D Thames coming out of your screen lol.

Scarlett.
28-05-2010, 11:53 AM
lmao xD that'd be weird, there isnt really anything they could do in 3D in EE's title, unless they zoomed in proper close xD

Firewire
28-05-2010, 11:55 AM
lmao xD that'd be weird, there isnt really anything they could do in 3D in EE's title, unless they zoomed in proper close xD

Yeah and that'd look stupid.

They could have 3D clouds or something.

Scarlett.
28-05-2010, 11:56 AM
ah yeah, good point :p

Firewire
28-05-2010, 12:01 PM
lol.

I think it's a good idea though with the new Exec. Producer. His first ep airs on June 4th.

Smithy
28-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Copycats :whistle: :joker: :p

:laugh:

Patrick
01-06-2010, 11:21 PM
LOL Fail at them saying 'Other shows schedualed for the transition include Holby, Waterloo Road and Casulatity.'

Waterloo Road has been HD for this entire season.