PDA

View Full Version : Ben Mitchell and Lucy Beale Recast

Smithy
07-06-2010, 11:17 AM
EastEnders bosses have decided to recast young characters Ben Mitchell and Lucy Beale, Digital Spy can confirm.

The pair, currently portrayed by 13-year-old Charlie Jones and 17-year-old Melissa Suffield, will remain as regular fixtures of the Walford soap with new faces playing the parts.

Ben, whose departure from the BBC serial was announced last month, is still expected to bow out temporarily as his current storyline involving stepsister Louise (Brittany Papple) reaches its climax. However, he will subsequently make a comeback played by another actor.

Producers had also previously confirmed that Suffield is to make her final appearance as Lucy later this year. A new actress will now be recruited to take over the role of Ian Beale's wayward daughter.

Speaking of the decision to recast both characters, an EastEnders spokesperson commented: "It's common practice in continuing drama to recast actors employed as children to take on more challenging adult storylines."

Meanwhile, a Walford insider told DS: "They were both suited to playing younger versions of their characters but sometimes a higher level of experience is needed as their characters mature."

EastEnders is currently undergoing a cast overhaul following the arrival of the soap's new executive producer Bryan Kirkwood.

Jords
07-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Im glad Lucy Beale's character is being recasted and not written out but I think the current actress really suits her down to a T. :(

Ben Im not so bothered about.

Smithy
07-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Ben could be quite good, it's just currently the actor is a complete ******

bbfan1991
07-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Not bothered about Ben. I wish the new actress who will play Lucy best of luck although I think that role totally suited Melissa:(.

Lewis.
07-06-2010, 03:27 PM
That sucks. I think Melissa was perfect for the role and, like Lacey Turner, shows huge potential to be the leading lady of Eastenders in the next 10 years :(

Ramsay
07-06-2010, 03:39 PM
melissa is perfect for lucy
the new actress will fail
id much prefer if theyd just kill off ben altogether

InOne
07-06-2010, 03:47 PM
I remember when they recast Stephen or whatever when he came back from NZ. Just didn't fit at all.

Firewire
07-06-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm happy they're recasting Ben. It's a shame Melissa is being replace, I doubt any one else could take over the role, Melissa made Lucy her own.

Stacey.
07-06-2010, 04:13 PM
i like Lucy as she is. :( Melissa is a great actress.

Jase
07-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Not botherd about ben but melissa :( Stupid idea

Patrick
07-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Oh dear.

No.

Jordan.
07-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Ugh i hate when they re cast people!

I think they are making a big mistake with Lucy.

Jessica.
07-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Noooo

Mac Hiavellian
07-06-2010, 05:07 PM
I'm glad Ben's being recast because his character has potential to do more. It's just Charlie Jones was an awful actor and I'm fed up of people saying "But he's just a kid" because there are plenty of fine young child actors out there and regardless of his age, he's on a national soap opera and thus he, like any actor, should expect praise and criticism alike

With Lucy, it's her own fault. Melissa was apparently warned about her behaviour before the axe. Similar to the Daniella Westbrooke-to-Kim Medcalfe recasting of Sam Mitchell, I feel the actress had her chance and she blew it. Yes we've seen her progress the character, but who knows? Perhaps like Kim Medcalfe the new Lucy can make the character their own. And, what's to say like Dan Westbrooke they won't recast her back to Melissa in a few years lol?

Kerry
07-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Oh I hate it when they recast people. Look at Tracey Barlow. Everytime she went to her room a new face came down

Callum
07-06-2010, 11:03 PM
I hate recasts so much. Look what happened with Sam, Kim Medcalf played her much better. Charlie Jones was annoying but I can't imagine anyone else being Ben, he made the character his own. Same with Melissa, she had that edge about Lucy that made her vicious, mean but also vunerable. Such a shame their being recast, I will give both a chance but if both fail to impress then I think that I will be switching off EE.