PDA

View Full Version : 2.6 Million tune into BB12 Launch

Jarrod
10-09-2011, 11:17 AM
2.6m According to Inside BB.

JohnnyBB
10-09-2011, 11:17 AM
2.6 million viewers at its peak tuned in too watch the launch of big brother 12, now were out of celeb mode let the killing of the show begin :bawling:

Jake.
10-09-2011, 11:18 AM
:(

Iceman
10-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Do you have anything positive to say? Most people enjoyed the launch.

Niamh.
10-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Don't be such a pessimist :nono:

Patrick
2.6 million viewers at its peak tuned in too watch the launch of big brother 12, now were out of celeb mode let the killing of the show begin :bawling:

:rolleyes:

armand.kay
I dont mind because it wasent realy like a launch it was a day after the finnal so im thinking of this searis and cbb as one big series od big brother ! :)

Jake.
10-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Shame as it derves much more last night was brilliant

Black Dagger
10-09-2011, 11:22 AM
This... the minute the ratings go to about 1.3m then I think C5 will start panicking and improving for the January series.

It was a great launch, looks like a great set of HM's and I think the ratings will stick at about 2m (hopefully)

joeysteele
10-09-2011, 11:25 AM
2.6 million is a good result, I feared down to 1.6 million could happen, in fact all but half a million have stayed with it for the launch. Good result to me.

Naturally would like to to be higher but that's hardly devastating or even really bad news.

Jake.
10-09-2011, 11:26 AM
^^ agreed and i think that because it carried on a day after the celeb one it wasnt as big a deal as normal. I think that the ratings will stick

Jarrod
10-09-2011, 11:27 AM
I've posted this. But it's a good result considering the series is back to back.

CaudleHalbard
10-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Realistically BB12 was always going to be an anticlimax coming so soon after CBB8. Big mistake on C5's part. The should have left at least a fortnight's gap.

The lineup is pretty dire as well. I can see this series dipping below the million mark by the time we get to it's weary end!

Tom4784
10-09-2011, 11:29 AM
It's to be expected, I don't think normal BB will survive after next year they'll cancel it and just keep the celeb version I think, although a million nightly would still be a triumph for C5.

daniel-lewis-1985
10-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Ooh thats bad

JohnnyBB
10-09-2011, 11:36 AM
ill tell you now im not even expecting it too stick in its millions at some point were gonna hit our 900k and it'll be a first! allright anything over million is blooody good considering its wasent a celeb episode.

Shaun
10-09-2011, 11:38 AM
I don't think there was enough advertising - I'd imagine if you asked Joe Public about Big Brother right now they'd still think Jedward and Kerry were in there. Plus starting a series 1 day after the last one is a shocking decision in terms of trying to build a buzz.

CaudleHalbard
10-09-2011, 11:40 AM
It's to be expected, I don't think normal BB will survive after next year they'll cancel it and just keep the celeb version I think

I think you are right. We are watching 'normal' BB in its death throws! In a celeb conscious society we would rather watch even Z-listers than ordinary members of the public.

joeysteele
10-09-2011, 11:43 AM
It's to be expected, I don't think normal BB will survive after next year they'll cancel it and just keep the celeb version I think, although a million nightly would still be a triumph for C5.

I am with you too on that one, in fact I think you may be spot on.

MeMyselfAndI
10-09-2011, 11:48 AM
I loved the launch and ahwell.
I think it will always get over 1.5m. The episodes will be like between 1.5m-2m i think, which is still good :).

Vladimir
10-09-2011, 11:48 AM
It's a shame, because the launch was really good.

Patrick
10-09-2011, 11:50 AM

That's a disgrace if they were to do that - get rid of the original format and just have celebrities, they'd run out of British Celebrities.

That would actually be a joke if that were to happen though - Celebrity BB is merely a spin off, this is the real deal.

It's all down to them rushing it.

I would of prefered them to just leave Big Brother until next year, no January Series either.

Just start BB12 in June and end it in August.

Because CBB8 was fantastic and they could of just left it at that for this year, it ended on such a high note.

Pronshi
10-09-2011, 11:55 AM
i just hope this year is like bb1 (ratings wise)
starts low and continues to rise and rise.
*fingers crossed*

really 2.6?
i find that hard to believe
however it did launch the day after CBB8 so what did u expect lol

CaudleHalbard
10-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Fewer viewers is likely to lead to less voting and ultimately less advertising revenue. The latter is why ratings are so important. Endemol is already a loss-making operation. BB12 could be what digs its grave!

Jarrod
10-09-2011, 11:57 AM
You lot think it was bad?

Big Brother came third in its slot between 9.30-10pm, with BBC1 and ITV1 tying at 4.0m viewers for Would I Lie To You? and Red or Black. In the 10pm hour Channel 5 was the second most popular channel, marginally behind BBC1 which had 2.8m during the hour.

Immediately before last night’s launch, Channel 5′s airing of Celebrity Big Brother: The Winner’s Story averaged 1.1m (4.6%) between 9pm and 9.30pm.

Big Brother managed to beat competition from Channel 4, with the former Big Brother broadcaster averaging only 1.4m (6%) for the Million Pound Drop Live. Big Brother also averaged more than BBC2 between 9.30-11pm, although BBC2 did sneak ahead for half an hour at 10pm with 3.2m (14%) for QI.

It beat Channel 4.

happybbfan
10-09-2011, 12:33 PM
whether we like the under 30's age range or the lack of diversity form areas outside England,or even the type of housemates we have this year,the fact still remains we have so little info from twitter and facebook to go on.Dare i mention it but with some live feed the launch would have been higher as viewers would have known it was there .
How the hell are we expected to know these people when C5 seem to think the viewers are the ones who should be told very little.

RichardG
10-09-2011, 12:55 PM
You lot think it was bad?

It beat Channel 4.

That makes me happy then because it seems like not many were actually watching tv last night, it did ok. Once Outnumbered finished more people tuned in and once Red or Black finishes tomorrow some of those viewers will probably tune in every now and then just to laugh at us who watch it, so it's ok. :p I think it will go below 2m sometimes (saturdays definitely) but should hopefully stay above 2m on most weekdays, and then the officals will be better as well.

Lostie!
10-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Am I alone in not slightly caring about the ratings?

BB IS ALIVE
10-09-2011, 01:06 PM
These viewing figures are calculated by some boxes ontop of about 5000 people's t.v's up and down the country, so extrapolating the results of 5000 people's viewing habbits to 26,000,000 t.v's is about 0.01% of people watching. It's like doing a survey for London and asking 5 people down Camden market what they think. I think Channel 5 will be weary but they will also focus on how much money they make from BB to base it's success, because higher ratings does'nt always mean more money.

I think load's more people watch big brother thank people think, but they won't be counted unless they have a BARB box, so I'd take these figures with a pinch of salt, The fact that C5 did'nt do launch advert's wont have helped though. :dance:

CaudleHalbard
10-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Am I alone in not slightly caring about the ratings?

Fair point to make, I guess. As long as BB fans are enjoying the show - that is the main thing.

We can worry about BB's future, if ratings are dire, at a later stage!

Marc
10-09-2011, 01:07 PM
That's probably the highest it'll get

TheManWhoLaughs
10-09-2011, 01:08 PM
That's probably the highest it'll get

Until the inevitable orgy episode

Jords
10-09-2011, 01:09 PM
I don't think there was enough advertising - I'd imagine if you asked Joe Public about Big Brother right now they'd still think Jedward and Kerry were in there. Plus starting a series 1 day after the last one is a shocking decision in terms of trying to build a buzz.

Completely agree, its over-kill... should have decided on a 4/5 week CBB or a full series of BB this year and that be that.

CaudleHalbard
10-09-2011, 01:15 PM
C5 has blundered by putting on BB12 immediately after CBB8. Very silly.

The mags etc are still catching up with the celeb version.

But let's be realistic for a moment (wot.... on TiBB??? :joker:). The BB format is now quite old and lessening in interest in inevitable. Doesn't matter which channel, what housemates, live feed or not etc.

Ratings will never be what they were in the early days. The general public wants something fresh. Maybe on the lines of BB but with a more imaginative format.

waterhog
10-09-2011, 01:24 PM
i loved the launch < brian was brill as normal and did not do to much talking which i think is great as it sort of spoils it if they dont stick to there words once they go in. but loved it < look out for my nut case poems on my best show < bye everyone

Toxic
10-09-2011, 01:28 PM
2.6 million is a good result, I feared down to 1.6 million could happen, in fact all but half a million have stayed with it for the launch. Good result to me.

Naturally would like to to be higher but that's hardly devastating or even really bad news.

This is a HORRIBLE result! why are people sugar coating it lol 2.6 million for the launch show...that is absolutely horrendus!

starry
10-09-2011, 01:29 PM
I think you are right. We are watching 'normal' BB in its death throws! In a celeb conscious society we would rather watch even Z-listers than ordinary members of the public.

I'm not sure that is true. However the way CH5 presents it these are tabloidy celebs and not normal people. That's the mistake. Marcus has now gone hyper, the music everywhere, the cheap looking eye etc.

Wildcat!
10-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Thats abysmal ratings people. Lets not pretend its all good and whatnot. And the drop off, will be significant.
Now, is it just because, only this many people interested in BB nowadays!! possibly. Lets face it, a of us dont consider BB must see TV like before, when you could choose to watch the housemates all the time.
Or it could be because its starting in september, maybe a lot of young viewers wont tune in, like they do in the summer. Either way, I am sure Ch5 dont care. They dont seem to worry about ratings, but have alterior motives for this show it seems. Especially given the chosen casts, of actors, models and such. I love all the pretty girls an everything, but its lame!

CaudleHalbard
10-09-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm not sure that is true. However the way CH5 presents it these are tabloidy celebs and not normal people. That's the mistake. Marcus has now gone hyper, the music everywhere, the cheap looking eye etc.

They are trying to re-arrange the deckchairs on the Titanic whereas what they need is a better ship! ;)

joeysteele
10-09-2011, 01:37 PM
This is a HORRIBLE result! why are people sugar coating it lol 2.6 million for the launch show...that is absolutely horrendus!

Gloom merchants on here even as well as outside the forum were saying on Channel 5, it would be lucky to get 1 to 1.5 million viewers full stop .

The fact it has averaged over 2.5 million over the CBB series and the fact it got 2.6 million last night, of course is a really good result,not the greatest result but a really good one as opposed to the doom merchants predictions before CBB and BB started.

Also add the fact Channel 4 always beat Channel 5 when they had Big Brother but over the CBB series Channel 5 has regularly beaten Channel 4s ratings for the same time slot and did so again even last night too.

Hardly by any standards a horrible result at all.

Novo
10-09-2011, 01:38 PM
I expected lower

CaudleHalbard
10-09-2011, 01:41 PM
It's got to be seen in context. By X-Factor standards it is dire.

By BBC2 standards it's pretty good and by C5 standards.... well, I expect Mr Desmond will be satisfied (depends what he has told advertisers of course!)

Callum
10-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Very bad ratings but I personally enjoyed the launch.

Gillian-73
10-09-2011, 02:07 PM
It deserved more, it was a great launch!

DigitalSid
10-09-2011, 04:14 PM
whether we like the under 30's age range or the lack of diversity form areas outside England,or even the type of housemates we have this year,the fact still remains we have so little info from twitter and facebook to go on.Dare i mention it but with some live feed the launch would have been higher as viewers would have known it was there .
How the hell are we expected to know these people when C5 seem to think the viewers are the ones who should be told very little.

:sleep:

I want live feed back too but live feed would not affect a launch show's ratings at all, it wouldn't be on between the finale and the launch.

It's only 400,000 less than predictions. It was never going to get 5 million. It was on right after the finale making it less of an event and confusing a lot of people who thought BB had finished (my sister thought it was a repeat of CBB's launch), it had no promotion, only the 3 million watching the finale and people who read the Star knew BB was starting and it was on against Red Or Black and Would I Lie To You (at 9:30 when most people are still watching the show they put on at 9)

CharlieO
10-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Yes obviously it did. Bad Show + Bad Channel = Bad ratings.

And don't give me this 'its good for 5' rubbish. They needed to out do post 8 channel 4 BB to even give it a little credibility. Just shows that 4 axed it at a great, thoroughly thought through time.

Omah
10-09-2011, 04:32 PM
It's very bad for a BB Launch - it's probably the audience average for the preceding CBB - things will only get worse over a 9 week run of HLs only - mid-series, at least another 1.3m will have disappeared .....

dizzy bint
10-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Gloom merchants on here even as well as outside the forum were saying on Channel 5, it would be lucky to get 1 to 1.5 million viewers full stop .

The fact it has averaged over 2.5 million over the CBB series and the fact it got 2.6 million last night, of course is a really good result,not the greatest result but a really good one as opposed to the doom merchants predictions before CBB and BB started.

Also add the fact Channel 4 always beat Channel 5 when they had Big Brother but over the CBB series Channel 5 has regularly beaten Channel 4s ratings for the same time slot and did so again even last night too.

Hardly by any standards a horrible result at all.

I absolutely agree. Plus, these are just the overnights. The officials will probably end up at 3 million or over.

Zippy
10-09-2011, 05:14 PM
And don't give me this 'its good for 5' rubbish.

it's not rubbish its commercial sense and basic logic. If a show pulls in more viewers for a channel than what theyre used to then it's a good thing. More viewers = more advertising revenue. Simple really.

CharlieO
10-09-2011, 05:16 PM
it's not rubbish its commercial sense and basic logic. If a show pulls in more viewers for a channel than what theyre used to then it's a good thing. More viewers = more advertising revenue. Simple really.

I know that obviously but any BB fan surely would care more about the show just than it makes some media mogul some money. I want care put into the show not just having the show there for monetary value.

Zippy
10-09-2011, 05:33 PM
I know that obviously but any BB fan surely would care more about the show just than it makes some media mogul some money. I want care put into the show not just having the show there for monetary value.

well you specifically questioned it being good for 5. What's good for 5 is more viewers.

Now whats good for the BB idiology or it's hardcore fans may be a different story. Truth is, there is no foolproof way to take the show now. It can never be what it was. So ch5 have to make a decision and go with it. Theyve clearly decided to go straight for the jugular of a young audience with short attention spans. But thats how TV generally has gone.

CharlieO
10-09-2011, 05:37 PM
well you specifically questioned it being good for 5. What's good for 5 is more viewers.

Now whats good for the BB idiology or it's hardcore fans may be a different story. Truth is, there is no foolproof way to take the show now. It can never be what it was. So ch5 have to make a decision and go with it. Theyve clearly decided to go straight for the jugular of a young audience with short attention spans. But thats how TV generally has gone.

I meant about the people saying its good ratings for 5 compared to 4, which it is not.

fingers
10-09-2011, 05:37 PM

Well, whoopty Doo for the Clearasil Kids!:joker:

iRyan
10-09-2011, 05:40 PM
It's not bad, considering the real launch was the night CBB started.

There isn't going to suddenly be 3 million more people tuning in than there were a week before. This means its kept it's audience from Celebrity Big Brother which is good.