PDA

View Full Version : Falling ratings

diane1
24-09-2011, 06:33 PM
i read that the ratings are really low for this series and i for one think so far it has been really good. i knew straight away that with all the young pretty things that they put in there that bitchfest would be the order of the day. i know this has been said many times, but will the producers not ever realise that the only way for big brother to survive is to bring back the live feed. many of us would pay for a series pass as i did myself one year. by the way funniest thing still alex and the spray tan.

Patrick
24-09-2011, 06:34 PM
awesome.

Scream
24-09-2011, 06:35 PM
sad times :(

iRyan
24-09-2011, 06:37 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/296g4t0.gif

GypsyGoth
24-09-2011, 06:40 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/296g4t0.gif

Is that Heidi?

bananarama
24-09-2011, 07:56 PM
i read that the ratings are really low for this series and i for one think so far it has been really good. i knew straight away that with all the young pretty things that they put in there that bitchfest would be the order of the day. i know this has been said many times, but will the producers not ever realise that the only way for big brother to survive is to bring back the live feed. many of us would pay for a series pass as i did myself one year. by the way funniest thing still alex and the spray tan.

Celeb BB was utter garbage worst ever series of CBB.

However thus far the main BB is proving to be interesting spoilt of course by the usual gathering of hate merchants who evict as always hell bent on stopping story lines from emerging.

CH5 biggest mistake is no live feed.......Without it public interest diminishes and the ratings will fail........

Jay_Roberts441
24-09-2011, 08:08 PM
WORST EVER SERIES = CRAP RATINGS Enough Said!!!!!

The only thing that will rescue BB now is LIVE FEED!!!!!!!!!!!

rsefitpro2011
24-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Big Brother has been a massive part of British Television for many years. The ratings are low because people are bored, they know what the shows about,it's been on for that long.

At the same time I would miss it if the show didn't return next year!, It's interetsing to watch, and if it did go, then theirs going to be a massive gap in the tv coverage!

cell
24-09-2011, 09:35 PM
miles ahead of last season (BB11)

Bubba
24-09-2011, 10:09 PM
No live feed and a specific age group has ruined BB this year. No good moaning about it though as C5 seem to have their sights set on " The way forward". They won't listen even though viewing figures are going down the pan. I stopped watching after the opening night because of this.

Samuel.
24-09-2011, 10:13 PM
No live feed and a specific age group has ruined BB this year. No good moaning about it though as C5 seem to have their sights set on " The way forward". They won't listen even though viewing figures are going down the pan. I stopped watching after the opening night because of this.

Well, you're missing out. Should have given it a chance before writing it off; best BB in years.

Bubba
24-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Well, you're missing out. Should have given it a chance before writing it off; best BB in years.

Well the viewing figures seem prove different. :hugesmile:

Omah
24-09-2011, 10:18 PM
miles ahead of last season (BB11)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/sep/14/big-brother-ratings

Big Brother ratings: is the party over?

Audiences for first five episodes on Channel 5 average 1.7 million viewers, down nearly 50% on last Channel 4 series

The Big Brother effect appears to be wearing thin on Channel 5, with audiences for the first five episodes of the reality show down nearly 50% on the last series on Channel 4.

Richard Desmond's channel enjoyed a ratings surge on the back of Celebrity Big Brother, but the regular edition of the show which followed immediately after has failed to match its appeal.

The first five episodes have averaged 1.7 million viewers, an 8.8% share of the audience, according to overnight figures.

This compares with an average of 3.2 million viewers, a 14.6% share, for the opening five instalments of the final run of Big Brother on Channel 4 last year.

Bubba
24-09-2011, 10:29 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/sep/14/big-brother-ratings

C5 are happier with lower viewing figures but this begs the question- why are they falling? Surely the producers of the show need to get together and remedy this before the next BB? The FB and Twitter is not the way forward for BB but a "back to basics" approach. If they don't do this then BB is dead.
Lifetime fan. :nono:

Samuel.
24-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Well the viewing figures seem prove different. :hugesmile:

Viewing figures don't prove anything in this instance. It being a autumn/winter BB instead of a summer one has a big impact for starters, with more competition on telly. It following 3 weeks of one of the worst CBB's ever hurts the ratings further. Being on channel 5 instead of channel 4 obviously doesn't help, as well as a lack of live feed and inconsistent airing times. There are a lot of reasons why it's suffering, but the quality of the show itself doesn't have anything to do with it.

Ask anyone here and they'll tell you this BB series has been the best in years.

Bubba
24-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Viewing figures don't prove anything in this instance. It being a autumn/winter BB instead of a summer one has a big impact for starters, with more competition on telly. It following 3 weeks of one of the worst CBB's ever hurts the ratings further. Being on channel 5 instead of channel 4 obviously doesn't help, as well as a lack of live feed and inconsistent airing times. There are a lot of reasons why it's suffering, but the quality of the show itself doesn't have anything to do with it.

Some might agree but i see that that having all under 30yr olds have spoiled it for me as we don't get the "age gap" arguments etc; I used to love watching the LF where the oldies in the kitchen were cooking for everyone and arguments would start there. Desmond has gone down the route he knows best- young and beautiful which doesn't work for me and probably for many others.

Omah
24-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Viewing figures don't prove anything in this instance.

Yes they do - they prove that over half the viewers who watched the last series of BB can't be bothered watching this one ..... :eureka:

I'm here - "this BB series has NOT been the best in years"

:nono:

Samuel.
24-09-2011, 10:43 PM
Some might agree but i see that that having all under 30yr olds have spoiled it for me as we don't get the "age gap" arguments etc; I used to love watching the LF where the oldies in the kitchen were cooking for everyone and arguments would start there. Desmond has gone down the route he knows best- young and beautiful which doesn't work for me and probably for many others.

That's fair enough, I can see why you'd be put off. I still believe you should have given it a chance, though.

I'm here - "this BB series has NOT been the best in years"

:nono:

You're in the minority.

Omah
24-09-2011, 10:45 PM
You're in the minority.

Where are your figures to substantiate that assertion ..... :puzzled:

kat26
24-09-2011, 10:52 PM

If it is so bad why do you want a live feed?

Samuel.
24-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Where are your figures to substantiate that assertion ..... :puzzled:

http://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185477

http://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185201

There are more threads like those, but I CBA to search the entire board. Practically everything I've read on here about the quality of the series has been really positive.

Doogle
24-09-2011, 10:57 PM
I don't think you can base this series on the ratings, lack of LF & the age group of the HMs. It's brilliant TV.

Better than an age group of like 18-60, with live feed, amazing ratings, but nothing ****ing happens and it's boring as ****.

Omah
24-09-2011, 10:59 PM
http://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185477

[url]http://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185201[/url

There are more threads like those, but I CBA to search the entire board. ]

Sorry, but those links are just opinions, not figures ..... :nono:

IMO, the absence of regular posters associated with former BBs is far more significant ..... :spin:

Practically everything I've read on here about the quality of the series has been really positive.

I suggest that you need to widen your reading experience ..... ;)

rusticgal
24-09-2011, 10:59 PM
We are missing too much interesting footage....LF gives the real fans great insight and causes topical discussion of the programme.Charge us....we will pay a reasonable amount.
Last night the after show showed us Jay questioning Aaron about some kiss he shared with Rebekah....was that even covered tonight??? NO...all we had to watch was the immature and sobbering mess of a 19 year old suckered in by a man eating monster....what street cred does he have now...and why do we want to see that drivel!!!

Samuel.
24-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Sorry, but those links are just opinions, not figures ..... :nono:

IMO, the absence of regular posters associated with former BBs is far more significant ..... :spin:

I suggest that you need to widen your reading experience ..... ;)

Basically, you have no argument.

Omah
24-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Basically, you have no argument.

Back at'cha ..... :wink:

Samuel.
24-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Back at'cha ..... :wink:

I've stated my reasons, shown you the facts. If you can't come back with your own and type something more substantial than a sentence or two, maybe I shouldn't have bothered in the first place.

This series is getting a lot of love, and you don't need to look far to see it. But if you'd rather moan about it, feel free, not my time you're wasting.

Omah
24-09-2011, 11:28 PM
I've stated my reasons, shown you the facts.

What "facts" ?

FACT : Last Saturday, less than 1m viewers watched "new" BB

PREDICTION : Last night, only 700m viewers watched "new" BB

CONCLUSION : The "majority" of viewers couldn't care less about "new" BB

:laugh2:

Samuel.
24-09-2011, 11:38 PM
What "facts" ?

FACT : Last Saturday, less than 1m viewers watched "new" BB

PREDICTION : Last night, only 700m viewers watched "new" BB

CONCLUSION : The "majority" of viewers couldn't care less about "new" BB

:laugh2:

Yes, because all of those people who couldn't be bothered to give it a chance know exactly how good this series is, despite not watching any of it in the first place.

Omah
24-09-2011, 11:39 PM
This series is getting a lot of love, and you don't need to look far to see it.

"a lot of love" - nope, the "love" has dropped right off and declining audiences (fact) substantiate that :

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gKo7X5Q-SnKZtAQ6WNNPunfFnnUQ?docId=N0515681316618828004A

New low for Big Brother ratings

Big Brother has hit a new ratings low - dipping below a million viewers for the first time ever.

The Channel 5 show recorded an average of 900,000 viewers for an hour-long edition - the smallest audience for the nightly round-ups of the programme since it launched in 2000.

The smallest audience for the show during its 11 series on Channel 4 days was 1.5 million in 2009.

The latest run launched on C5 less than a fortnight ago pulling in three million for its opening night, which settled to around 1.4 million for several shows.

But it dropped to its lowest level yet on Saturday night, the night following the first eviction which saw contestant Tashie Jackson bow out.

A spokeswoman for Channel 5 did not wish to comment on the viewing figures.

Omah
24-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Yes, because all of those people who couldn't be bothered to give it a chance know exactly how good this series is, despite not watching any of it in the first place.

"Basically, you have no argument."

:idc:

Samuel.
24-09-2011, 11:43 PM
"a lot of love" - nope, the "love" has dropped right off and declining audiences (fact) substantiate that :

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gKo7X5Q-SnKZtAQ6WNNPunfFnnUQ?docId=N0515681316618828004A

You're obsessed with viewing figures. Yes, they're important, especially to channel 5. But as I've said many times, they don't represent the quality of this series.

By that logic, X Factor is one of the greatest TV shows in the last two decades in terms of quality.

Samuel.
24-09-2011, 11:46 PM
"Basically, you have no argument."

:idc:

You just quoted my argument ;)

It's been fun, Omah, but I'm off to bed.

Omah
24-09-2011, 11:51 PM
You're obsessed with viewing figures.

Erm, that's the thread topic ..... :laugh3:

Yes, they're important, especially to channel 5. But as I've said many times, they don't represent the quality of this series.

I never said they did - YOU persist in making those unsubstantiated assertions - what the declining figures represent is OTHER peoples opinion of the series not YOURS ..... :spin2:

Omah
24-09-2011, 11:56 PM
You just quoted my argument ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument

An argument is an attempt to persuade someone of something, by giving reasons or evidence for accepting a particular conclusion

BIB - something you singularly failed to do ..... :whistle:

Kazakh
25-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Live feeds are not essential, interesting HMs are. As to whether this is the "worst ever", is it any different from the last few years?

Visage
25-09-2011, 09:51 AM
People's viewing habits are changing.

Some people view shows online some on catch-up and some people view shows through sky+

billy123
25-09-2011, 09:54 AM
People's viewing habits are changing.

Some people view shows online some on catch-up and some people view shows through sky+All of which are taken into account for the ratings.
Its a very poor series.
People keep saying it hasnt been given a chance i disagree people are simply switching off the ratings speak for themselves.

Omah
25-09-2011, 09:57 AM
All of which are taken into account for the ratings.
Its a very poor series.
People keep saying it hasnt been given a chance i disagree people are simply switching off the ratings speak for themselves.

Exactly - viewers are voting with their RC's ..... :thumbs:

Jake.
25-09-2011, 11:18 AM
They havent been taken into account yet :/ once an episode is aired, the official figures are released 2 weeks later.

billy123
25-09-2011, 11:26 AM
They havent been taken into account yet :/ once an episode is aired, the official figures are released 2 weeks later.So are you saying that the ratings havent fallen because its crap?.
Whether you look at overnights or officials its all relative it wont change the audience share.
The fact is people have turned off because they dont like what C5 have done it is ruined live with it! im hanging in and still putting up with it and that will account for a lot of its audience as well long term fans that arent happy but are trying to stick with it.

Raven
25-09-2011, 11:59 AM
The ratings speak for themselves.... from the people who started watching, over a third haven't seen anything interesting enough to keep watching. Crud about the figures not reflecting the quality is blinkered and denying the reality that dispite the person who said that maybe enjoying it, most are not else the figures would be at least staying the same if not gradulaly growing with people finding it interesting enough to stick with.

Jake.
25-09-2011, 12:56 PM
In MY OPINION, this is the best Big Brother in years, sure the ratings are crap for Big Brother but when you look at the rest of Channel 5's ratings then its not too bad

Visage
25-09-2011, 01:15 PM
All of which are taken into account for the ratings.
Its a very poor series.

So how do you explain why shows like Corrie and Eastenders have dropped from 19 million viewers to 8 million in the last couple of decades ?

Didn't the BBC cancel Eldorado because it was only pulling 10 million viewers?

billy123
25-09-2011, 01:40 PM
So how do you explain why shows like Corrie and Eastenders have dropped from 19 million viewers to 8 million in the last couple of decades ?

Didn't the BBC cancel Eldorado because it was only pulling 10 million viewers?
What in the living hell have audience figures from 20 years ago got to do with the price of fish?
The truth is nearly 80% of the audience have vanished in just over a month.
(cbb premiered with 5.1 million)
P.S. bb's audience share will suffer further in the officials due to their being a lack of +1 so let go of that little hope.

Name another show that has flopped so badly to lose nearly 80% of its audience in such a short time.

Im done with this thread the facts speak for themselves burying your head in the sand doesnt help anyone especially not c5 or bb.

This seems relevant :joker::joker::joker::joker:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JVYyc_J0W8E/TcmtLcTtZaI/AAAAAAAAAkg/Npk6INNfBeM/s1600/ComicalAli.jpg

starry
25-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Probably the worst set of HMs since the 8th series. Belo and Samanda would have fitted perfectly into this lot. As the 8th series showed most people want to watch HMs who they can feel at least some affinity with rather than just laugh at. CH5 have gone backwards to a failed approach.

Visage
25-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Just to explain a little further where my post was coming from. I am no expert on viewing figures, I really don't understand how viewers are calculated by surveys. I'm going by experience as I was once asked to take part in this survey.

My original post was that I believe people's viewing habits have changed over the years. Before technology such as on-line viewing and Sky+ was available, I assumed most people watched shows when they originally aired. I know I did and most of my family and friends did.

I have asked if online, catch-up and Sky + were included in the ratings and on many occasions I was informed they were not included.

What in the living hell have audience figures from 20 years ago got to do with the price of fish?

Living hell..?
Price of fish..?

While that statement might make you feel better I was genuinely asking a question over how (before Sky+ etc) the ratings were around the 19 million mark. I thought (or was hoping) you might have had another explanation for this decline.

The truth is nearly 80% of the audience have vanished in just over a month.
(cbb premiered with 5.1 million)

That's an interesting comment, do you have a link where I could view these statistics. Again I lack knowledge on this or where to begin looking, so a link would prove useful.

P.S. bb's audience share will suffer further in the officials due to their being a lack of +1 so let go of that little hope.

What is this +1 you speak of, is it the channel plus one hour ? If so was this available for the first week of BB if not, how will it suffer without it ?

Name another show that has flopped so badly to lose nearly 80% of its audience in such a short time.
I can't I was basing my original post on what I had seen over the last couple of decades.

Im done with this thread the facts speak for themselves burying your head in the sand doesnt help anyone especially not c5 or bb. That's a shame I was hoping you may have educated me more on the subject.

This seems relevant :joker::joker::joker::joker:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JVYyc_J0W8E/TcmtLcTtZaI/AAAAAAAAAkg/Npk6INNfBeM/s1600/ComicalAli.jpg

To who ? Are you implying I'm burying my head in the sand over my actual knowledge on the topic ? Because I'm far from doing that, where would that get me ?

Vicky.
25-09-2011, 04:26 PM

IMO this is FAR from the worst ever series.

Infact I would probably go as far to say its definitely in the top 5 for me.

(And before anyone tries to make out my opinion is wrong by throwing ratings and statistics at me...I really do not give a s**t :thumbs: )

Omah
25-09-2011, 04:32 PM
I have asked if online, catch-up and Sky + were included in the ratings and on many occasions I was informed they were not included.

http://www.barb.co.uk/about/faq?_s=4

What happens if you playback programmes from PVRs like Sky+? Is this included?

Yes, non-live viewing from PVRs like Sky+ and other recording devices such as DVDRs are measured and included in the viewing figures as timeshift viewing. If a programme has been viewed on the same day as the original broadcast the viewing will be included in the overnight files as VOSDAL data (see ‘What is VOSDAL data?’), otherwise, if it has been viewed in the 7 days after the original broadcast it will be included in the consolidated data.

Visage
25-09-2011, 05:03 PM
http://www.barb.co.uk/about/faq?_s=4

Cheers. :)

Jake.
25-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Officially CBB8 done well, infact some nights there were 400 k more viewers than the overnights

billy123
25-09-2011, 07:18 PM
To who ? Are you implying I'm burying my head in the sand over my actual knowledge on the topic ? Because I'm far from doing that, where would that get me ?
Firstly visage i will cut your post down to this just to say no it wasnt personally aimed at you burying your head in the sand if it seemed like that i apologise.
One of the first places to get the viewing figures all posted together is here if you are interested in them.
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1537335&page=42
After a fairly decent start the viewing figures have bombed pretty badly but that of course doesnt mean it cant be seen as good in some peoples eyes it just gives a general opinion of how other people are seeing the show.

Omah
26-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Cheers. :)

:thumbs: