PDA

View Full Version : Fatima Whitbread

chubbly
05-11-2011, 12:53 AM
So i bumped into Fatima Whitbread on thursday afternoon and after telling her how small she looks in person she replied telling me she is going to get even smaller than she is now.. I asked her why and she said she couldn't tell me but as she left she said "you don't eat much in the jungle"

It was amazing! :O

King Gizzard
05-11-2011, 12:54 AM
Welcome to the forums..lol

chubbly
05-11-2011, 12:56 AM
Heh thanks lol.

Just thought i'd share the info xD

Jase.
05-11-2011, 01:52 AM
Who?

chubbly
05-11-2011, 02:47 AM
She was an olympic Javelin champion :o
Also i spotted her on celebrity come dine with me a few weeks back :p

LaLaLand
06-11-2011, 02:48 PM
I love her name.

Vicky.
06-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Never heard of her..

LaLaLand
06-11-2011, 02:50 PM
You might be right there...

Other celebrities in the mix include ex-footie hero Lee Sharpe, former US teen singer Aaron Carter, pop babes Samantha Mumba, Shola Ama and Diana Vickers, veteran Olympic champions Daley Thompson and Fatima Whitbread and Kate Middleton’s uncle Gary Goldsmith.

Link (http://www.dailystar.co.uk/getmeoutofhere/view/217043/I-m-A-Celebrity-Cheryl-Cole-and-Katie-Price-could-see-ex-boyfriends-appear-on-show/I-m-A-Celebrity-Cheryl-Cole-and-Katie-Price-could-see-ex-boyfriends-appear-on-showI-m-A-Celebrity-Cheryl-Cole-and-Katie-Price-could-see-ex-boyfriends-appear-on-showI-m-A-Celebrity-Cheryl-Cole-and-Katie-Price-could-see-ex-boyfriends-appear-on-show)

Oooh...

Omah
06-11-2011, 11:22 PM
She was an olympic Javelin champion :o

Never an Olympic champion, but she broke the World Record with a throw of 77.44m in the qualifying round of the 1986 European Championships in Athletics (where she also won the final) and became World Champion in 1987. Her performances in 1987 led to her being voted winner of the prestigious BBC Sports Personality of the Year award.

Whitbread had won the silver medal at the inaugural World Championships in 1983. She finished in bronze medal position at the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles. In the 1988 Olympics in Seoul, Whitbread won the silver medal behind Petra Felke, who had broken the world record in the interim.

Omah
09-11-2011, 08:08 AM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/3923272/Im-a-Celebrity-contestants-are-eleven-and-hell.html

JAVELIN girl Fatima Whitbread is the latest star to join the I'm A Celebrity line-up.

King Gizzard
10-11-2011, 02:46 AM
http://static.unrealitytv.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/fatima-whitbread1.jpg

that's actually quite scary

Locke.
10-11-2011, 02:49 AM
Is that a woman :shocked:

King Gizzard
10-11-2011, 02:50 AM
Yup, it look's like Chico in 20 years

Kerry
10-11-2011, 02:52 AM
Know of her. Just. Amazing athlete. Must be skint though cos this is the second reality show she's done recently. She did Come Dine With Me too

She won't take any bollocks from anyone

King Gizzard
10-11-2011, 02:55 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1200711/Former-Olympian-Fatima-Whitbread-makes-tearful-plea-licence-caught-speeding.html

kind of explains her plight

Kerry
10-11-2011, 03:01 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1200711/Former-Olympian-Fatima-Whitbread-makes-tearful-plea-licence-caught-speeding.html

kind of explains her plight

:/

King Gizzard
10-11-2011, 03:02 AM
Think they've got her as the task trooper or something I can see her doing most bushtuckers

Omah
10-11-2011, 03:16 AM
I hope she does well and makes some money afterwards ..... :cool:

Kerry
10-11-2011, 03:18 AM
Think they've got her as the task trooper or something I can see her doing most bushtuckers

I doubt she'll bat an eyelid about tasks

King Gizzard
10-11-2011, 03:20 AM
http://twitter.com/#!/realdivafever/status/134430950963679232 lol

stewart64
14-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Is that a woman :shocked:

When she was introduces I did actually think it was a man. But fair play to her she did seem to muck in more than the others. She looks pretty unflappable.

parmnion
14-11-2011, 09:03 AM
She won't take any bollocks from anyone

She might have to if that's all that's on offer for dinner:dance:

Omah
14-11-2011, 10:54 AM
http://programmes.stv.tv/imacelebrity/jungle-gossip/278897-im-a-celeb-iron-woman-fatima-saves-stars-from-cockroach-cave/

This year’s nine plucky celebrities left their lives of glitz and glamour this weekend to face their worst nightmares in the I’m a Celebrity jungle.

After meeting at a swanky Australian mansion they said goodbye to creature comforts and hello to some less appealing creatures….

The nervous nine were dropped into the jungle by helicopter and found a map directing them to a clearing.

The celebrities’ first stop was a cave equipped with groundsheets where they were to make their base for the night.

Used to a life of luxury and all mod-cons, the stars had to go back to basics and light a fire, prepare a meal of rice and beans and sleep on groundsheets in the cave.

However some of the celebs were less keen than others to share their camping berths with the jungle’s famed four-legged friends. Pop star Dougie complained: "The cave smells like dead insects." Meanwhile Antony said that TOWIE star Mark was "petrified" of the stench.

Fear seemed to get the better of the stars and they refused to sleep in the cave. Hart to Hart legend Stefanie asked: “Can we sleep outside?”

Meanwhile pro-athlete Fatima took charge of the situation and led the celebrities to camp out under the stars on their first night in the Australian rainforest and avoid the cave.

Yeah, she just tore down a few branches, strung them together with twigs and covered then with leaves - instant "camp beds" ..... :cool:

Incensed
14-11-2011, 11:44 AM
She might have to if that's all that's on offer for dinner:dance:

:joker:

Lee.
14-11-2011, 03:00 PM
I think she may be my favourite at the minute...

She seems really pleasant and strong, both physically and mentally. She's been through a lot of **** in her life, so I hope she does well. :)

saigon
14-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Thought she was a guy for the first 45 mins of the show.

saigon
Still not totaly convinced she isn't tbh.

InOne
Yeah it's quite hard to tell D:

Lee.
14-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Still not totaly convinced she isn't tbh.

She definitely isn't.. she's given birth, which is physically impossible for a bloke to do. :)

Callum
14-11-2011, 03:48 PM
I quite like her so far

saigon
14-11-2011, 04:02 PM
She definitely isn't.. she's given birth, which is physically impossible for a bloke to do. :)

Tell that to this guy.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_q0H-znwsT0ernrUQFSp0eXV9zBz0Xr0cSO_9dgEAO1wQn5-xwTNGjMd-

Omah
14-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Thought she was a guy for the first 45 mins of the show.

Well, she isn't so no further comment regarding her gender is necassary ..... :nono:

Lee.
14-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Tell that to this guy.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_q0H-znwsT0ernrUQFSp0eXV9zBz0Xr0cSO_9dgEAO1wQn5-xwTNGjMd-

That's actually a transgender female though.. He has a womb and ovaries and other lady bits

saigon
14-11-2011, 04:18 PM
That's actually a transgender female though.. He has a womb and ovaries and other lady bits

I know it was a joke lol.

saigon
14-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Well, she isn't so no further comment regarding her gender is necassary ..... :nono:

Shut up you mug, ill talk about what i want.:blush:

Lee.
14-11-2011, 04:21 PM
I know it was a joke lol.

Oh yeah... sorry! I wasn't suggesting that you're thick or anything! :)

Omah
14-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Shut up you mug, ill talk about what i want.:blush:

Abuse will get you nowhere ..... :nono:

saigon
14-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Made me feel better so...

'Conor
14-11-2011, 04:28 PM
i like her :)

LeatherTrumpet
14-11-2011, 04:57 PM
he seems nice

Jords
14-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Im liking Fatima, she seems a really strong-minded person with good intentions :)

At first I did think she was a man though, have to be honest.

mr rochester
15-11-2011, 01:48 AM
Out of all the contestants Fatima Whitbread seems to be the one with true empathy. She has encouraged the others a great deal and has also been generous with her affection and good common sense. I really like her so far and if you look at her photo on her wedding day she looked really lovely. She's had a rough time of it lately it seems and she's to be admired for putting herself through this...imo...I suspect that public opinion of her will grow very much as this show progresses. She's not fake in any way - she's kind, says thank you - if I was in the jungle I think I'd really be glad to have her there...

Lee.
15-11-2011, 01:53 AM
Agree ^

HBB1508
15-11-2011, 11:24 AM
I think Fatima and Lorraine are my top two at the moment :)

Omah
15-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Her mother held a knife to her throat at the age of 13 as she was raped

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2061550/Im-A-Celebrity-2011-Why-jungle-holds-fears-Fatima-Whitbread.html#ixzz1dmF4XzjJ

Crushing adversity, poverty, terrible cruelty and maternal rejection are usually the staples of boxing biopics. With fists of iron, the subject smashes his or her — remember Million Dollar Baby — way to some kind of victory over the fates.

The Whitbread story is less bloody. It concerns a short, shy young woman who was rather good at throwing the javelin. Along the way she became world champion, world record holder, Olympic medallist, MBE and Sports Personality of the Year.

Today she is flexing her still muscular frame in a spotted bikini in the I’m A Celebrity jungle. It all looks rather jolly, if you like that kind of thing. But few middleweights from the wrong side of the tracks have suffered the upbringing that Whitbread had to endure before she found success.

Her birth ‘mother’ — Whitbread does not like to use such a flattering term, preferring ‘that woman’ — was Turkish Cypriot; her biological father came from the Greek community of that bitterly divided island.

Born in north London 50 years ago, Fatima was an unwelcome accident, which brought social disgrace. But for neighbours’ vigilance, she would have died of starvation while still a baby.

Her mother abandoned her in a flat, and it was only days later that someone, alerted by the child’s cries, called the police.

Fatima spent four months in hospital recovering from malnutrition, and her first 14 years in a series of children’s homes.

Occasionally, distressingly, her biological mother would re-enter her life. The first time they met was deeply shocking, not least because young Fatima had not been warned that the woman was even alive.

The pair were put in a car and driven to another children’s home, where Fatima’s half-brother and sister by her mother lived, and where little Fatima was to be moved. During the journey her mother barely spoke to her.

Fatima later recalled: ‘When we arrived, a house-parent told me: “Go into the garden and meet your brother and sister.” As I wandered into the garden, my mother grabbed me and said: “This is your sister, and if you don’t look after her I cut your throat.”

'This was my introduction to my biological mother, and from there things got worse.’

When she approached her tenth birthday, social services decided Fatima should start visiting her mother in preparation for a permanent reunion.

‘She turned up one day with some guys who were more or less pimps — they were there to take a look at me because by that time I was a big girl,’ she later recalled. ‘It was horrible.’

When she visited her mother’s flat, she was made to do the housework. Later, when she was 13 and on another visit, her mother’s drunken boyfriend raped her. Fatima screamed, but all her mother did was hold a knife to her throat and tell her to shut up.

Blimey ..... :eek:

exoticrosebud
15-11-2011, 04:18 PM
i would let her win! definately ! i wouldnt argue with her......got shes scary !!! lol good athlete and competitor..should do well....

Jezzy
15-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Fatima Whitbread is a credit to women. She's strong, has overcome a lot in her life, is (was) a gifted athlete and is just an all-round good person socially too. I hope she goes far on this, and makes herself a whole lot of new fans.

The jokes about her looks are a bit cheap. I would think she's heard them so often they'd just bounce off her.

Omah
16-11-2011, 08:53 AM
http://entertainment.stv.tv/tv/279461-im-a-celebrity-bookies-cut-odd-on-fatima-whitbread-win/

I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! contestant Fatima Whitbread has proved a huge hit with viewers.

Bookmakers have now decided to slash the odds on her being crowned Queen of the Jungle next month.

William Hill has dropped the former javelin champion's odd from 8/1 to 9/2.

The former Olympian is now is joint second favourite with Coronation Street star Antony Cotton.

Favourite to win the series is still The Only Way Is Essex star Mark Wright.

Hill's spokesman Joe Crilly said in a statement: "Fatima has become the mummy of her camp and she is endearing herself to the public as much as she is to her fellow campmates."

Fans were impressed as she calmly dealt with a rat crawling over her head while she was trying to get to sleep.

:cool:

stewart64
16-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Fatima Whitbread is a credit to women. She's strong, has overcome a lot in her life, is (was) a gifted athlete and is just an all-round good person socially too. I hope she goes far on this, and makes herself a whole lot of new fans.

The jokes about her looks are a bit cheap. I would think she's heard them so often they'd just bounce off her.

Post retracted.

Omah
16-11-2011, 12:05 PM
It would be wise not to make unsubstantiated assertions about Fatima :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2061550/Fatima-Whitbread-Im-A-Celebrity-star-raped-13-mother-held-knife-throat.html#ixzz1ds9Toi9Y

Snide remarks about her muscular physique and rumours linking her with performance-enhancing drugs dogged her career. She addressed these directly after she had retired. Her strength, she said, came from ‘incredibly hard work and amazingly hard eating’.

She explained: ‘I’m 5ft 5in and I was competing against girls of up to 6ft with a range of movement far greater than mine. To beat bodies like that, I had to make myself stronger, faster and more powerful than them.

‘I had to force-feed myself on a daily basis; large meals, then a high-protein drink with three eggs, bananas, ice cream and milk. A pint of that twice a day. I know it did strange things to me. My body didn’t function like a normal woman.

‘My breasts just disappeared beneath the muscle. I didn’t have periods for seven or eight years. I was told I couldn’t have carried a child because the lining of the womb had become too thin. Sure, it was strange. But it had to be done.’

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/533490.stm

Fatima joke proves costly

Former Olympic athlete Fatima Whitbread has accepted a public apology and undisclosed libel damages over "tasteless and offensive" comments made on the BBC comedy quiz They Think It's All Over.

Two panellists on the popular BBC One show, brodcast on 13 May and repeated five days later, suggested that during her career Ms Whitbread had unnaturally high levels of testosterone in her blood.

Her solicitor Graham Atkins told Mr Justice Morland in the High Court in London the panellists made a tasteless and offensive statement about Ms Whitbread, who he described as "one of Great Britain's most successful athletes".

;)

stewart64
17-11-2011, 08:45 AM
It would be wise not to make unsubstantiated assertions about Fatima :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2061550/Fatima-Whitbread-Im-A-Celebrity-star-raped-13-mother-held-knife-throat.html#ixzz1ds9Toi9Y

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/533490.stm

;)

Well I didn't actually make an assertion. I did actually say ''I do not know if she took these'', and ''if it was the case''. However, point well made, and post retracted.

She does seem very determined and I can imagine she could have gotten that physique through sheer hard work at the gym regarding her professional body building career. I was not speculating about her javelin career, which in any case was subject to exhaustive testing.

King Gizzard
17-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Ah yes, ''i'm skint let's sue them for libel''

Omah
17-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Well I didn't actually make an assertion. I did actually say ''I do not know if she took these'', and ''if it was the case''. However, point well made, and post retracted.

Fair enough ..... I've deleted my quote of your post in my reply ..... :thumbs:

stewart64
17-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks Omah.