PDA

View Full Version : Brian Dowling

Jords
11-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Had a whole 2 series of him now, are you keen on his presenting?

Unfortunately Im not, he cant speak to the house well and he comes across wooden when talking to us. He aint bad at interviewing though (which is why he should have been on BOTS).

Keep or rid?

Benjamin
11-11-2011, 11:00 PM
He rushed through the final tonight and I didn't really feel like we got any actual info from the finalists in their interviews at all.

Jords
11-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Was supposed to be Public not Multiple f/

dizzy bint
11-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Bit of a moot point really, he's already said he's back for CBB next year.

ourgus
11-11-2011, 11:08 PM
At least he,s fluent in English even if half the under thirties can only grunt to communicate and can,t understand him. Lets face it Davina (Million pound drip) can't string two sentences together.

reece(:
11-11-2011, 11:12 PM
hes the worst of the worst, makes live shows dull and pantomime like

Niamh.
11-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Love Brian! Can't wait to see him back soon :love:

Bollo
11-11-2011, 11:15 PM
What a plank

Callum
11-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Get Rid of Brian Dowling completely. I hope he emigrates to Australia

Jordan.
11-11-2011, 11:18 PM
I think he's more suited to BOTS.

Emmas interviews are always better and she comes across more professional & serious, get her on the main show.

Firewire
11-11-2011, 11:19 PM
I wouldn't get rid completely, stick him on the BOTS panel. With Emma doing main and Alice doing BOTS.

Livia
11-11-2011, 11:24 PM
I think he did well considering the verbal dexterity of the bottom-feeders he was interviewing tonight. The Jay interview was like watching someone pull teeth.

Vicky.
11-11-2011, 11:29 PM
I thought he was quite good in cbb. But this may have been just because he was new and not davina(who I couldnt stand towards the end)

But he has been dreadful for the main series :/

MTVN
11-11-2011, 11:36 PM
I think you might as well keep him as main presenter, I like Emma on BOTS, she fits the role better and if we had her as a main host we'd only get to see her about half an hour a week whereas atm she's on screen for nearly an hour almost every night

halfacrown
11-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Could never make my mind up about him for all these years until now: he actually is vile.

iRyan
11-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Sack him.

iRyan
11-11-2011, 11:42 PM
He rushed through the final tonight and I didn't really feel like we got any actual info from the finalists in their interviews at all.

Agreed, his questions are very vague and based on surface level observations.

Tregard
11-11-2011, 11:47 PM
I think if they're trying to make their own image for the show, they'd be foolish to change him, they may as well just give him the chance to develop his own style.

Firewire
11-11-2011, 11:50 PM
I think you might as well keep him as main presenter, I like Emma on BOTS, she fits the role better and if we had her as a main host we'd only get to see her about half an hour a week whereas atm she's on screen for nearly an hour almost every night

I think once a week would suit her better with the baby.

Tree-Of-Temptation
11-11-2011, 11:51 PM
He's ****e, get rid of him. Bring back Davina please. It's just not the same.

joeysteele
12-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Keep Brian as the main show presenter definately.

MusicMan
12-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Meh, he's ok... I just wish he'd stop saying "Yes!" after like every sentence...

ozzyshaggah
12-11-2011, 08:44 AM
i think he did a good job
he was rushed but that would have been the producers in his ear piece

he will only get better so lets keep him

starry
12-11-2011, 08:52 AM
He got more camp as the show went on making it even more into a trashy TV comedy show.

Patricia4
12-11-2011, 09:10 AM
I like Brian but he cant interview people.

thesheriff443
12-11-2011, 09:17 AM
brian does his best!, he is not a natural interviewer! or host!,he was hired to bring his fans and bb faithful to channel 5!,

lostalex
12-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Go back and look at davina's first series.... she was HORRIBLE. But she grew into it. I think Brian will grow into it, but he needs to be more confronting. He's definitely too nice, and he's afraid to confront them in the exit interview.

The most honest reaction from Brian i have seen all season was when Emma asked him tonight on BOTS if he was happy that Aaron won... and he couldn't say yes, and you could see on his face he HATED that Aaron had won. He should have given Aaron the same treatemnt that Davina gave Makosi.

Brian needs to be himself and put more of his own opinions and feelings into his interviewing. He should have been more confronting with Aaron about why no one wanted him to win.

The host of the show is meant to be OUR(the viewing public's) mouthpiece. He's meant to ask the questions that WE would want to ask them if we had the chance. But instead he seems more concerned about making the producers and the show and everyone happy.

When you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one.

Tom
12-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Go back and look at davina's first series.... she was HORRIBLE. But she grew into it. I think Brian will grow into it, but he needs to be more confronting. He's definitely too nice, and he's afraid to confront them in the exit interview.

When Channel 4 took the show on, they used Davina because she was cheap at the time and had done most of their other cheap shows. They didn't know it would be as big as it became.

On Channel 5, the ratings are sinking fast, they can't really afford to let anyone grow into the role because the eviction shows at the minute are just an unprofessional mess and Brian isn't helping at all. His interviwes have been OK but I've been looking forward more to Emma's interviews. She can act like an idiot but she knows when its time to get series. Her interviews last night were much better than the Brian ones.

The most honest reaction from Brian i have seen all season was when Emma asked him tonight on BOTS if he was happy that Aaron won... and he couldn't say yes, and you could see on his face he HATED that Aaron had won. He should have given Aaron the same treatemnt that Davina gave Makosi.

Brian needs to be himself and put more of his own opinions and feelings into his interviewing. He should have been more confronting with Aaron about why no one wanted him to win.

But then its just biased interviewing. Presenters should be impartial and although I was a big fan of Davina, it really annoyed me how one week she'd be nice to someone who'd just been booed and then the next week she'd be laying into someone who didn't do anything.

Dokes
12-11-2011, 10:23 AM
I liked Brian - he won me money both times that he won BB!

But i think everyone involved in the biased Aaron bashing should be chucked. Alice Levine for main show host!!!

Black Dagger
12-11-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm not sure, part of me says scrap him and Emma and part of me says keep him, I'l make my mind up after CBB9.

Sam:)
12-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Maybe Emma could co-host with him!

lostalex
13-11-2011, 07:38 AM
IS there any posibility we could have Davina back? That would be my preferred outcome.

Angus
13-11-2011, 08:02 AM
I thought Davina was a biased cow, but Brian beat her hands down. So unprofessional, he ruined eviction nights. Used to think he was okay, but realise now he's just another knobhead. He, Alice Levine and Emma Willis need to all be sacked, along with Jeff Brazier and his skanky sidekick, and please please please NO MORE of the gross Josie, she's as about as entertaining and funny as herpes.

lucyann
13-11-2011, 08:19 AM
I found Brian to be too biased. If he didn't like someone that affected the interview. Presenters should be impartial, yes ask the questions but remember that he is not speaking for us all when he says " we all thought". No we didn't all think. There are fans for each housemate so that is not fair in my opinion.

Scotty07
13-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Yes I want him to stay now, don't want them changing the presenter every year.

Niamh.
13-11-2011, 04:49 PM

The host of the show is meant to be OUR(the viewing public's) mouthpiece. He's meant to ask the questions that WE would want to ask them if we had the chance. But instead he seems more concerned about making the producers and the show and everyone happy.

When you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one.

No he shouldn't, Aaron had just been crowned the winner of the show, he deserved to be treated accordingly, it was bad enough that he came out to boos without an assault from the presenter as well :rolleyes:

WCR1942
13-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Ourgus
"Lets face it Davina (Million pound drip) can't string two sentences together. "
From someone who makes three punctuation errors in a couple of sentences, that is an outrageous calumny.
Davina is one of the most articulate, intelligent and quick witted presenters on British television.

Tom
13-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Ourgus
"Lets face it Davina (Million pound drip) can't string two sentences together. "
From someone who makes three punctuation errors in a couple of sentences, that is an outrageous calumny.
Davina is one of the most articulate, intelligent and quick witted presenters on British television.

Thats why I liked Davina, she was an intelligent middle class presenter on the trashiest show on TV. Although she acted like a complete idiot at times, she never lost her gravitas and thats something really missing from the show. I think Kate Thornton would be a good bet to host the show, shes got a very similar vibe to her but failing that, Caroline Flack is a lot like Davina 10 years ago.

Maia
13-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Get rid of him completely. He's not good enough to host the main show and he'd be way too annoying on BOTS. Let Emma host the main show and promote Alice Levine & Jamie East to the main hosts of BOTS.

dizzy bint
13-11-2011, 05:27 PM
He's already said he's doing the CBB next January. By extension, since C5 are only contracted to the show for two years he'll be doing next summer's BB too. :idc:

He's doing fine and outside of one or two forums I've seen very little opposition to him doing the job.

eezamana
13-11-2011, 05:42 PM
I think if they're trying to make their own image for the show, they'd be foolish to change him, they may as well just give him the chance to develop his own style.

I agree with this post, I love Brian, & think he should be given some time.

Alec McLeish was with Man U. for 4 seasons before he won anything & they mostly all love him now.

Plus get Alice Levine to do BBBOTS

eezamana
13-11-2011, 05:55 PM
IS there any posibility we could have Davina back? That would be my preferred outcome.

I couldn't stick Davina, she spoiled every eviction for me, (i eventually stopped watching them) with her gurnin & face pullin & completely put on voice.

+ she was very inconsistent when interviewing evitees

WCR1942
13-11-2011, 09:40 PM
eezamana
"Alec McLeish was with Man U. for 4 seasons before he won anything & they mostly all love him now."
It is great to use examples from other human activities. Even better if you could check your facts first. I suspect you meant Sir Alex Ferguson.

saigon
13-11-2011, 10:00 PM

This...

Also Emma on BOTS gets away with alot more than she would get in the main show.

showtime77
13-11-2011, 10:55 PM
I thought Davina was a biased cow, but Brian beat her hands down. So unprofessional, he ruined eviction nights. Used to think he was okay, but realise now he's just another knobhead. He, Alice Levine and Emma Willis need to all be sacked, along with Jeff Brazier and his skanky sidekick, and please please please NO MORE of the gross Josie, she's as about as entertaining and funny as herpes.

Sometimes I think you are reading my mind!:wavey:

saigon
13-11-2011, 11:34 PM

Shut up you clown.:hugesmile:

halfacrown
14-11-2011, 06:01 AM

Unfortunately, I think you are right. We deserve better presenters than the lot we've had. Is it asking too much for them to have a brain and a bit of insight? The biggest failure with Brian is that he didn't have the intelligence to comprehend that Aaron was the favourite with the public. All the egos got in the way on winner's night, where Brian's displeasure and Emma's confusion took centre stage. It was an insult to the majority who paid money to make Aaron the winner.

The same happened with Davina in the end. She became more and more ridiculous as the ego took over (remember the bikini incident), and she got in the way of the programme. All the face pulling, bias and efforts to be 'down with the kids' made her and BB hard to watch.

Mac Hiavellian
14-11-2011, 06:10 AM
I'd have prefered if Emma was the main host instead but after seeing Brian interact with the crowd before Tom's eviction I think he'd be a lot better if he had a bit more freedom and wasn't so scripted. He's better as a nautral entertainer cos that's how he won BB twice anyway

lostalex
14-11-2011, 08:04 AM
No he shouldn't, Aaron had just been crowned the winner of the show, he deserved to be treated accordingly, it was bad enough that he came out to boos without an assault from the presenter as well :rolleyes:

The host is meant to be honest, and his butt-licking interview with Aaron was pathetic. i felt bad for Brain. It's about integrity. And Brian just like everyone in that audfience knew Aaron didn't derserve to win, but instead Brian chose to pul the C5 line, and go soft on Aaron.

The host is m eant to represent us, he's there to ask the questions and say the things the audience want to ask/say. Brian didn't do that.

halfacrown
14-11-2011, 08:09 AM
The host is meant to be honest, and his butt-licking interview with Aaron was pathetic. i felt bad for Brain. It's about integrity. And Brian just like everyone in that audfience knew Aaron didn't derserve to win, but instead Brian chose to pul the C5 line, and go soft on Aaron.

The host is m eant to represent us, he's there to ask the questions and say the things the audience want to ask/say. Brian didn't do that.

Should have gone to Specsavers.

lostalex
14-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Should have gone to Specsavers.

Brian doesn't wear glasses *rolls eyes*

Black Dagger
14-11-2011, 10:08 AM

And he was honest, Aaron was a deserving winner and was a great game player, he didn't suck up to Aaron, he didn't exactly give Anton, Jay, Louise harsh interviews, so why should he Aaron?

10bagger
16-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Brian is a nice guy but was absolutely rubbish as the main BB presenter. His main problem is he doesn't listen and respond to what is said to him. He just races onto the next prepared question. I found his weekly interviews really painful to watch.

Emma was excellent though as was Alice Devine. As someone has already said, give Emma the main presenters role and let Alice front BBOTs. Stick Brian on the BBOTs panel
and drop that awful ****** Lauren. At least the cruel Pete Burns is funny.

What I've come to appreciate is you need a really quick brain to be a good presenter as you need to think on your feet. Poor old Brian just doesn't have the mental bandwidth.
A good presenter makes its looks so easy you begin to think you could do the job!

niley
17-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Brian is a nice guy but was absolutely rubbish as the main BB presenter. His main problem is he doesn't listen and respond to what is said to him. He just races onto the next prepared question. I found his weekly interviews really painful to watch.

Emma was excellent though as was Alice Devine. As someone has already said, give Emma the main presenters role and let Alice front BBOTs. Stick Brian on the BBOTs panel
and drop that awful ****** Lauren. At least the cruel Pete Burns is funny.

What I've come to appreciate is you need a really quick brain to be a good presenter as you need to think on your feet. Poor old Brian just doesn't have the mental bandwidth.
A good presenter makes its looks so easy you begin to think you could do the job!

you are a bit tough on Brian there. He has a quick brain as demonstrated on smtv and The Mint both live shows and other shows. BB is a different kettle of fish, more scripted and very short on interview time. Brian is instructed to ask the 5/6 questions that are scripted by the producers all in the space of 7- 10 minutes and this includes showing clips and their best bits. What is the point in discussing or picking up on something a housemate says when you have a list of producers questions to adhere to. There simply isn't time to dwell on this. On Bots theres an hour to fill and everything is far more easy going and relaxed so when Emma makes a balls of it she laughs or say for example when she interviewed Tom she had nothing at all to say to him after her first question so we... got her laugh .. then .... I love you Tom.... . I love you Tom.....then more laughs. That was basically the pattern of the interview. That doesnt make for a good interview. But the point Im making is its easier to be relaxed on Bots and listen more when you are not limited with time.
So no keep Brian . I think he's done a great job and had some very good interviews.