PDA

View Full Version : A really good article on yahoo! Must read!

Sawyer
03-04-2013, 12:28 PM
http://uk.omg.yahoo.com/gossip/the-juice/emma-willis-brian-dowling-as-big-brother-host-davina-mccall-channel-5-165739640.html

Read this article, it pretty much sums everything up about why Emma is the right choice to host the show. Honestly couldn't of put it better myself.

Sawyer
03-04-2013, 12:30 PM
http://uk.omg.yahoo.com/gossip/the-juice/emma-willis-brian-dowling-as-big-brother-host-davina-mccall-channel-5-165739640.html

Read this article, it pretty much sums everything up about why Emma is the right choice to host the show. Honestly couldn't of put it better myself.

Emma Willis was announced today as the new face of Big Brother, ousting current presenter Brian Dowling from the position.

After two years fronting the show, it seems that bosses has decided to shake things up, giving spin off show presenter Emma, 37, her dream role and leaving Brian, 34, out of a job.

But was this is a good idea?

We say yes, and here is why.

1. Experience

Brian was TV gold when appearing on Big Brother. His witty, excitable and likeable persona is exactly why he won viewers over not once, but twice. However, as a presenter this charm was somewhat lost. There was always something quite awkward and unnatural in the delivery of his lines – likely coming from inexperience as a scripted presenter.

Emma however has 11 years of experience under her belt. She not only makes reading off an autocue seem like a breeze but her patter with audience members and off the cuff wit will only enhance a Friday night eviction show in a way Brian failed to quite achieve.

2. Emma has super fan credentials

While Brian has been in the Big Brother house twice, therefore gaining a view of life in the house known to only a limited amount of people, self confessed super fan Emma sees the house from the point of view of a viewer. By seeing the show from our perspective she is instantly more relatable, putting her on an even keel with viewers.

3. Channel 5 needs to move on from the Channel 4 years

Brian Dowling was undoubtedly a great choice of host when Big Brother re-launched on Channel 5 two years ago. He was the reigning champion of the show after winning the Ultimate series. Having Brian as host meant that fans of the programme still had a sense of familiarity with the Channel 4 show, while allowing a fresher feel to proceedings.

Two civilian series and three celebrity editions on, the Channel 4 days are long gone and if Channel 5 wants to establish the Big Brother as its flagship show, it’s time to sever all ties with its past owner.

4. Interview technique

One of the most important aspects of being the host of an eviction night is having the guts to ask the really awkward questions. There will inevitably be contestants who need to be made accountable for their actions. Viewers want vindication.
Perhaps the most frustrating thing about Brian’s interview technique was that he couldn’t seem to stand an awkward silence. Rather than allowing the housemates the time to explain themselves, he would simply talk over them and move on to a lighter subject. Let’s not forget that viewers have invested a lot of time in the programme so keeping the interview fluffy just doesn’t cut it.

5. The Davina McCall factor

There is no denying that Davina McCall was Big Brother. The self proclaimed ‘Big Mutha’ made the terrifying prospect of an eviction that much more manageable for housemates, knowing she would be there at the bottom the stairs ready to offer support.

Making the show her own after ten years on the job was always going to be a tough act to follow. Brian did his best to change things up but never really hit the nail on the head. With Emma being older, a mother herself and possessing a presenting style not too dissimilar to Davina, it makes sense that the she would inevitably become her predecessor.

Tregard
03-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Points 3 and 5 seem pretty contradictory.

Headie
03-04-2013, 01:00 PM
I agree 100% with that article.

Jake.
03-04-2013, 03:08 PM
She's 37?!?

Sawyer
03-04-2013, 03:09 PM
She's 37?!?

She looks amazing for her age!

Jordan.
03-04-2013, 03:13 PM
I agree 100% with that article.

I agree 100% with this comment.

Had no idea Emma was 37 either, always thought she about late twenties :o

Jake.
03-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Can't believe her age, she looks so good!

EddyEagal
03-04-2013, 04:27 PM
So they're saying that Emma allows the show to cut all ties with C4, but then say that she's similar to Davina which is a positive. Doesn't really make sense does it?

But over all I agree with the article - Emma is a fantastic choice! Very excited! (Most excited I've been for a 'normal' series in a long long time)

Tregard
03-04-2013, 04:52 PM
So they're saying that Emma allows the show to cut all ties with C4, but then say that she's similar to Davina which is a positive. Doesn't really make sense does it?

http://www.indonesiamatters.com/images-2/hit-nail.jpg

SSL2012
04-04-2013, 11:40 AM
The jist of it, is that Emma is as close to another Davina as we will get (in terms of presenting), without it actually being Davina...meaning it bear's no resemblance to the C4 era, becuse it's a different person etc.