PDA

View Full Version : Would the show have grown momentum if it never went down the fun bollocks route..

JohnnyBB
05-05-2013, 06:23 PM
If Channel 5 from the start of the take over from ch4 had gone to its root core of socail experiment instead of this we have fun on channel 5 crapp, would the show have grown would it have been a success, and would raitings be hitting the 3mil mark?

Tony1111
05-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Probably. It got a great first week ratings compared to Channel 4 people were hopeful unfortunately Channel 5 flogged off BB11's mistakes. :p

Patrick
05-05-2013, 08:09 PM
They had the perfect chance to build on it and start fresh etc in 2011, and they ****ed it all up when they decided to be camp and fabuluz instead.

So yeah if they had of just listened to viewers and made CBB8/BB12 a more basic and less OTT affair, then yeah I'm pretty certain BB would of been alot more respected again by now.

mkbb
05-05-2013, 08:18 PM
If only they had brought it back as the USA style of BB I'm convinced the ratings would be up around 3 million especially with their being less HL shows. The competativeness and constant drama always makes it must see TV. Our channel 5 BB is very often boring with the exceptions of BB13 and CBB9.

BBDodge
05-05-2013, 08:51 PM
If only they had brought it back as the USA style of BB I'm convinced the ratings would be up around 3 million especially with their being less HL shows. The competativeness and constant drama always makes it must see TV. Our channel 5 BB is very often boring with the exceptions of BB13 and CBB9.

I think that would have killed it stone dead.

_Seth
05-05-2013, 08:56 PM
BB wouldn't be as dead if they gave it a much needed year's break and fresh return, back to formal editing and a psychological, experimental emphasis with people from cultured backgrounds and different age groups. It would have been the only reality show (from what I can think of) that has some class, which would make it stand out against the others.

But no, we get The Only Way is Elstree instead. :rolleyes:

Gstar
05-05-2013, 09:34 PM
I think BB12 definitely ruined it

Jords
05-05-2013, 10:10 PM
What it needed was a break and a big change in format... perhaps that like BBUS.

It will never gain the momentum it once had now.

Patrick
05-05-2013, 10:25 PM

YES. Completely. This.

Marsh.
05-05-2013, 11:34 PM
They already made a huge mistake bringing it back so soon no matter what they did with the format.

They should have left it at least two years.

mkbb
06-05-2013, 10:37 AM
I think that would have killed it stone dead.

More dead then it is already? At least with it being a completely different format it would have drawn more attention from the press. Explaining a new format on the first launch night may also have kept some of those 5 million viewers that tuned in for something different on channel 5.

lostalex
06-05-2013, 11:55 PM
I think it's the lack of live feed that killed it.

The editing of the main show has always been criticized, and they have been using big twists and game strategies for a long time, btu as long as there was a live feed it didn't matter that much.

24/7 Live feed is what makes Big Brother Big Brother.

I would say that BBUSA and BBCan are more Big Brother than BBUK now, because they still have live feeds, so you can still watch the social experiment. You get the game in the main show, and you get the social experiment on live feeds.

Bigest Brother Fan ever
07-05-2013, 06:40 AM
Even the House designs, Back in the old days, The house was designed to make housemates unconformable at times, And I may get shot for saying it, even the bb11 house was designed in a way in which housemates would feel unconformable example, Glass every where....No where to Hide.

But Channel 5 houses are just these glossy, tacky looking houses. I would love if they made a theme of evil, Spikes everywhere. Huge Open space, Nice long Pool REMOVED.

Bigest Brother Fan ever
07-05-2013, 06:44 AM

The editing of the main show has always been criticized, and they have been using big twists and game strategies for a long time, btu as long as there was a live feed it didn't matter that much.

I would say that BBUSA and BBCan are more Big Brother than BBUK now, because they still have live feeds, so you can still watch the social experiment. You get the game in the main show, and you get the social experiment on live feeds.
I really don't think it was, I personally dont think live feed was watchable anyway. You get an hour of birds whistling. And at night was the worst, from like BB9 all they did was sleep..in previous years they would stay up and get drunk, fight night..

Jamesy
07-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Even the House designs, Back in the old days, The house was designed to make housemates unconformable at times, And I may get shot for saying it, even the bb11 house was designed in a way in which housemates would feel unconformable example, Glass every where....No where to Hide.

But Channel 5 houses are just these glossy, tacky looking houses. I would love if they made a theme of evil, Spikes everywhere. Huge Open space, Nice long Pool REMOVED.

I agree with you entirely. The C5 houses have certainly felt more 'homey' and welcoming than the C4 houses. I think they need to realise it's a social experiment, and therefore the house itself must be an experiment year on year. How do people cope when they have literally no where to hide? How do they cope in small spaces?

Channel 4 seemed to have got this and made some interesting and unique house designs over the years. Channel 5 however have stayed rather the same with, to be honest, bland designs. I blame them for keeping the same house infrastructure mainly. They really need to gut out the whole house (including the diary room for gods sake, I've had enough of it being in the same place) and bring something in completely different.

Vanessa
07-05-2013, 10:12 AM
I think the House should be fun anyway. I hope the changes channel 5 has made helps to improve the ratings. The show deserves more viewers. :)

lostalex
07-05-2013, 10:15 AM
I think most people here are just remembering the glory days of BB5/6/7 but you can't go back! You can't just make the house look like a spaceship again and expect it to be like the glory days.

BB will never be what it once was, just like all Tv series, the novelty wears off.

It can still be good though. it can be good again, but it has to be good again in a NEW way, and unexpected way.

Part of what made BB so good was the feeling like ANYTHING can happen, there was an excitement that anything could happen. They need to get that feeling of anything can happen, danger, back again.

daniel-lewis-1985
08-05-2013, 07:11 PM
I remember us all saying they should give it a 2 year break back in 2011 and it sounded ages away back then but how fast have things flown by?

Nuts to think its been almost 2 years since it moved to Channel 5.

If they had left it and just brought it back it would have been an event again but instead Channel 5 decided to rush it all out and it still feels like they have been pulling it out of their arses ever since.

They saw the increase in ratings for BB11 which had tacky editing and music thrown over highlights and immediately thought that must be the reason why....Wrong.

I am actually hopeful about this year, things seem to be more serious...I can feel it in my pants.

Patrick
08-05-2013, 07:56 PM

This.

When watching BB CAN, I constantly kept saying 'This is how Big Brother should be.'
Because yeah, it may be different from ours - but at least it stays true to the point of the show, the way our version USE to before 2009, when they decided to be all cool and fun by breaking almost every single ******ing rule in the book and basically disrespecting their entire fanbase.

mkbb
08-05-2013, 08:10 PM
This.

When watching BB CAN, I constantly kept saying 'This is how Big Brother should be.'
Because yeah, it may be different from ours - but at least it stays true to the point of the show, the way our version USE to before 2009, when they decided to be all cool and fun by breaking almost every single ******ing rule in the book and basically disrespecting their entire fanbase.

It is true BBUS takes no information from the outside world rule so seriously, BBCAN less so. Its seems to me so stupid that fans get so upset that the cast isnt diverse enough or that they dont like the house/host, prefering vote to evict (why i dont know?) or that the housemates can talk about nominations when the main problem with BBUK has lost its core concept. Meddling with the nomination process/results, the lack of live feed and the constant information from the outside world is what is ruining the show. These three aspects of the show should never be altered.

Samm
08-05-2013, 08:13 PM
I really don't think it was, I personally dont think live feed was watchable anyway. You get an hour of birds whistling. And at night was the worst, from like BB9 all they did was sleep..in previous years they would stay up and get drunk, fight night..

Live Feed was always good