PDA

View Full Version : Did Jemima deserve her warning?

LemonJam
17-06-2013, 09:48 PM
IMO, it's possibly one of the worst decisions Big Brothers made. Absolutely ridiculous.

Vicky.
17-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Definitely not

And Gina should be ashamed of herself tbh, using something like that as an attempt to garner attention/sympathy. She has obviously never experienced real racism to take something like that so lightly tbh.

Ammi
17-06-2013, 09:52 PM
..I think she did, it wasn't racism up until the point she told Gina that she probably wouldn't go for white guys...?....why would she assume that, people see people not colour...that was a racist remark...

xpod8
17-06-2013, 09:53 PM
I don't think Jemima deserved that AT ALL, when did personal preference become a race issue?
IMO Gina should be reprimanded for pulling a race issue out of the air

Vicky.
17-06-2013, 09:53 PM
..I think she did, it wasn't racism up until the point she told Gina that she probably wouldn't go for white guys...?....why would she assume that, people see people not colour...that was a racist remark...

If that was the bit Gina took offense at, I could slightly see her point of view..even though I tink Jemima was backed into a corner after being labelled a racist and was desperately trying to explain what she meant. However she was screaming racism way before that point...

xpod8
17-06-2013, 09:54 PM
I don't think it was racist, I think it was an incorrect assumption.

LikeABoatOnWater
17-06-2013, 09:56 PM
BB producers are lame as ****.

karezza
17-06-2013, 09:58 PM
I hate Gina. Get the troll out!

thesheriff443
17-06-2013, 10:00 PM
it was not racist but I think bb is on high alert this year after what connor got away with last year.

GiRTh
17-06-2013, 10:01 PM
Stupid. Making a mockery out of racism.

Tom4784
17-06-2013, 10:03 PM
The first bit wasn't since, like she said in the Diary Room, it's just a preference like eye colour or hair colour. I could see why she could have gotten the warning with the white people comment though.

Macie Lightfoot
17-06-2013, 10:05 PM
No but this show's been a huge joke for quite some time so

thesheriff443
17-06-2013, 10:05 PM
it was not racist but I think bb is on high alert this year after what connor got away with last year.

Jords
17-06-2013, 10:06 PM
If Jemima said "I go for black guys instead of white guys" nothing would have been said.

I feel bad for Jemima and think Gina is a stupid twat now, dont care if she goes. People who fly these -ism tags about cause so much trouble.

Ammi
If that was the bit Gina took offense at, I could slightly see her point of view..even though I tink Jemima was backed into a corner after being labelled a racist and was desperately trying to explain what she meant. However she was screaming racism way before that point...

..I agree Vicky but she had her warning for the whole conversation which included what she said about Gina not going for white guys, whether she was manipulated in anyway by Gina or not, she still said it and I think they had to give her a warning....

Jords
If Jemima said "I go for black guys instead of white guys" nothing would have been said.

I feel bad for Jemima and think Gina is a stupid twat now, dont care if she goes. People who fly these -ism tags about cause so much trouble.

Vicky.
17-06-2013, 10:07 PM
The first bit wasn't since, like she said in the Diary Room, it's just a preference like eye colour or hair colour. I could see why she could have gotten the warning with the white people comment though.

If she came out with it randomly (the 'you wouldnt like white guys' thing) then I could understand the warning. However she was pretty much backed into a corner by that point after already being labelled racist. I imagine what one does when publicly accused of racism on tv for nothing is panic a bit. Stupid thing to say, but I understand it..

fruit_cake
17-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Stupid. Making a mockery out of racism.

this

Samuel.
17-06-2013, 10:14 PM
The white people comment wasn't even remotely racist. It was an ignorant assumption based on the fact she herself prefers males of her own skin colour (and tbf it seems most people do). End of.

Livia
17-06-2013, 10:15 PM
If she came out with it randomly (the 'you wouldnt like white guys' thing) then I could understand the warning. However she was pretty much backed into a corner by that point after already being labelled racist. I imagine what one does when publicly accused of racism on tv for nothing is panic a bit. Stupid thing to say, but I understand it..

More or less what I wanted to say.

And I agree with GiRTh... it makes a mockery of real racism cases.

fruit_cake
17-06-2013, 10:16 PM

very true!

Firewire
17-06-2013, 10:17 PM
I don't think she should have been warned. She's clearly not racist and didn't mean it in a racist way.

sampvt
17-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Gina is just a twat, playing the race card gets her noticed. Load of tosh. Bad decision on BB,s part but we are coming to expect that kind of crap anyway. The producers are the dregs of tv land, why cant they stop ruining the program with political correctness and leave the race issue out of it.

Marsh.
17-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Whether she meant it as a racist remark is not the issue.

But the fact is she said something that could be taken offensively. Had she put her brain into gear before thinking she would have known that.

To make an assumption that Gina wouldn't go for white guys because she is black is ridiculous.

Big Brother wasn't saying Jemima is racist but telling her to watch what she says because what she's saying could be offensive.

That said, I don't agree with Gina throwing the race card in Jemima's face to try and one-up her during a row. That was out of order.

ruiphillips
17-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Yes. She is secretly raciest and tonight showed.

MrBiolek
17-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Gina is just following the script that BB have given her, she's an unemployed model and BBs money is better than nowt!

MilkMaid
17-06-2013, 10:44 PM
I find BB's reaction more offensive than anything. Talk about over-sensitive...

It is also insulting that this is given the credence of being a 'race' issue when there are real hate crimes occurring all too frequently in the outside world.

Jemima was merely trying to clarify what she meant when she described the men she typically fancies the most as 'dark'! It is not exactly up there with the English Defence League's rhetoric.

Sophiee
17-06-2013, 11:37 PM
definitely not. I didn't find what she said racist in the slightest. she only got the warning because of gina's overreaction to the situation.

joeysteele
17-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Gina was already going on about Jemima being racist before Jemima even mentioned that Gina would 'probably' not rather than certainly not date white guys.

Absolutely not that Jemima deserved this silly warning in my view.
As Livia rightfully stated, it makes a mockery of genuine racist comments and activity.

Tulin
17-06-2013, 11:52 PM
I don't think Jemima deserved that AT ALL, when did personal preference become a race issue?
IMO Gina should be reprimanded for pulling a race issue out of the air

That has ALWAYS been my issue with PC-ism.

These days you can ruin somebody's life, personally, professionally, socially and so on by using the "R" word.

It is not unlike the Salem witch trials or the McCarthy trials of the '50's(look it up Gen Y). In fact, the similarities are terrifyingly similar!

Since we are APPARENTLY so enlightened these days, I would like to live in a world where the VERY accusation of racism or homophobia(and I am gay, so I am being completely fair here!)is treated akin to accusing somebody of being a murderer or child molester.

If the very accusation can destroy somebody's life, the wielding of that "power" should be treated as EXTREMELY serious. Likewise if the charge is found untrue or considered to be frivilous(as in this case), the accuser should be made to pay DEARLY and/or in some way have their own reputation impuned.

It should cut BOTH ways - I am SICK TO DEATH of people having a joke or expressing an opinion and made to feel like pariahs. Everybody should just bloody grow up and get tougher skins!

Jake.
17-06-2013, 11:53 PM
No way in hell

Adamw92
17-06-2013, 11:56 PM
No she didn't deserve the warning.

Marsh.
17-06-2013, 11:59 PM
BB didn't label her a racist, just told her to watch what she says because it can be deemed racist.

Assuming a black girl won't be attracted to white guys is a racist attitude.

Jemima needed a warning so she can think about how ignorant she is, maybe she'll put her brain into gear before speaking.

MrBiolek
18-06-2013, 12:01 AM
In fact, if BB have any decency ( or sense) they'd call Jemima back to the Diary room and make a public (plasma) apology! But then, again, pigs might fly!

Kizzy
18-06-2013, 12:01 AM
At worst the initial comment was insensitive, gina if genuinely offended would have handled the situation differently.
Jemima played right into her hands there, should have kept shtum at the first hint of provocation.

wendywillow
18-06-2013, 12:34 AM
2 formal warnings already, these people will be afraid to say anything, bb needs to let the hg's be

Jords
18-06-2013, 12:38 AM
2 formal warnings already, these people will be afraid to say anything, bb needs to let the hg's be

This is another reason why it shouldnt be done. BB is branding itself in all sorts of negative ways atm.

I just thought.. Maybe BB warned Jemima because BB warned Gina and didnt want her to feel targetted or something.

Rob!
18-06-2013, 12:53 AM
I'm sorry, but I voted for yes. Gina was completely and utterly disgusting tonight, but the fact that Jemima said to a black girl "you probably wouldn't go out with a white guy" COULD be taken as racist to SOME people. The producers HAD to give her a warning for it, otherwise to the people that WOULD find it offensive and I can guarantee there were viewers that did, it would be seen as the show doing nothing again. After the Conor incident they have to cover their backs. It's a shame, but that's the way it is. Blame the Great British public for that, not Big Brother.

Mrluvaluva
18-06-2013, 12:55 AM
I think it was a bit of a silly decision by BB and unfair. They try to cover their backside over every eventuality and the best thing Jemima could have done was walk away, but as has been said, you would try and fight your corner and some of the comments she used when retorting were just a bit wrong. Gina should learn some manners tbh and stop speaking to people like they were servants. She's not in The Savoy now.

Maneki-neko
18-06-2013, 01:28 AM
No. Well maybe. I think its better safe than sorry and I don't think Gina is stupid for being offended. Plus Jemima didn't help herself much at all though. She could have just explained to Gina calmly that she's not attracted to black men, not that she doesn't like them.

Ramsay
18-06-2013, 01:29 AM
yes, the dirty racist bitch

Jake.
18-06-2013, 01:30 AM
:joker:

Colbert-Bump
18-06-2013, 01:46 AM
Gina wanted to make an issue of it to get Jemima in trouble and it worked a treat.

Patrick
18-06-2013, 01:46 AM
Absolute disgrace. I'm ashamed in Channel 5 - that move was something I'd expect from Channel 4.

It's like Marcus and Sree all over again. All this because they've lost their bollocks after Jade Goody, it's been 6 odd years - move on.

swinearefine
18-06-2013, 01:57 AM
Kindof. I wasn't so much bothered by her initial comments about not going for black guys, but when she said that Gina wouldn't go for white guys, I found that to be racist. Maybe not worthy of a formal warning, but I can see why she got it.

GypsyGoth
18-06-2013, 02:09 AM

:laugh2:

the truth
18-06-2013, 02:35 AM
shame on the producers yet again, this banal idiocy is already enough reason to ensure I watch no more of this cretinous drivel...enjoy

MatthewS
18-06-2013, 03:34 AM
Finally watched the ep and WTF?! I can't believe that played out how it did!

Jemima was talking about her personal preference when it comes to the 'look' of her ideal bloke. Which happens to be "dark", "Mediterranean", "not black". HOW THE ****** CAN THAT BE CONSTRUED AS RACIST?! Is she not allowed to have a preference or something? I'm actually at a loss. It's like Marcus and Sree all over again, as was noted above. Complete over reaching PC garbage. And I thought we had it bad in Canada with this kind of stuff...

Not really surprised Gina played that card and then pressed it. Good on Jemima for sticking to her guns, but I would have liked to see her tell BB to ****** right off. I can't believe that's a warning. So beyond ridiculous.

Sidenote: I thought Gina was Asian until tonight. That's what happens when you cake on so many layers of makeup.

Ammi
18-06-2013, 03:43 AM

..LOL..how many ways do I love thee, let me count the ways....

Roy Mars III
18-06-2013, 05:56 AM
it was stupid, and just shows how terrible of a show Big Brother has become

joeysteele
18-06-2013, 06:39 AM
Finally watched the ep and WTF?! I can't believe that played out how it did!

Jemima was talking about her personal preference when it comes to the 'look' of her ideal bloke. Which happens to be "dark", "Mediterranean", "not black". HOW THE ****** CAN THAT BE CONSTRUED AS RACIST?! Is she not allowed to have a preference or something? I'm actually at a loss. It's like Marcus and Sree all over again, as was noted above. Complete over reaching PC garbage. And I thought we had it bad in Canada with this kind of stuff...

Not really surprised Gina played that card and then pressed it. Good on Jemima for sticking to her guns, but I would have liked to see her tell BB to ****** right off. I can't believe that's a warning. So beyond ridiculous.

Sidenote: I thought Gina was Asian until tonight. That's what happens when you cake on so many layers of makeup.

Exactly, also Jemima stressed she was on about personal preference as to going out with guys,so now just to please the pc brigade, white women cannot say they would not go out with a black guy.

It is this kind of one sided nonsense that actually causes problems and the warning, as you imply too, was way over the top and in my view totally wrong.

It is quite the most inappropriate warning ever given out on a BB series and the agitator all though was really Gina.

BigBrotherfan4ever
18-06-2013, 06:44 AM
No way

fruit_cake
18-06-2013, 07:39 AM
I think the poll says it all really.

joeysteele
18-06-2013, 07:46 AM
I think the poll says it all really.

It does indeed, in fact I am really heartened by this poll result so far.

karezza
18-06-2013, 08:12 AM
Big Brother needs to withdraw the warning and apologise to poor Jemima.

smeagol
18-06-2013, 10:23 AM
jem should of threatening to shove a eplilator up gina she would of got 50k then instead of a warning.

bb are a total disgrace for doing that. if i was jem i would of been ranting at bb and walked out. as that was just so stupid

Marc
18-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Terrible decision

Benjamin
18-06-2013, 10:36 AM
She did not deserve that warning. Gina has said far more offensive things in that house, and what Jemima said may be seen as offensive, but it isn't racist, nor was it warning worthy.

I think Gina has just shot herself in the foot by doing that though, she'll be out on Friday.

I also agree that BB should retract the warning and apologise, but they won't do that.

Vanessa
18-06-2013, 10:37 AM
She did not deserve that warning. Gina has said far more offensive things in that house, and what Jemima said may be seen as offensive, but it isn't racist.

I think Gina has just shot herself in the foot by doing that though, she'll be out on Friday.

I agree and that's a shame. Gina has a lot of potential as a housemate.

Black Dagger
18-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Yes!!! Get the bint out, she's awful anyway.

Vanessa
18-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Yes!!! Get the bint out, she's awful anyway.

Can't stand Jemima and she needs to leave poor Sam alone. he won't be her toyboy. :nono:

Benjamin
18-06-2013, 10:46 AM
I love that storyline. It's a car crash waiting to happen.

Vanessa
18-06-2013, 10:47 AM
I love that storyline. It's a car crash waiting to happen.

Sam can do so much better than her. :pipe:

daniel-lewis-1985
18-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Even Victor BB5 tweeted me saying it wasn't racist.

So glad the forum agrees it was ridiculous usually everyone jumps on the bandwagon and cries racism.

Gina was out of order calling someone a racist bitch.

Would she get away with calling someone a Nazi?

Benjamin
18-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Sam can do so much better than her. :pipe:

Probably, but he's just as creepy. Plus it makes excellent viewing as it is so cringey and just going to end badly.

Vanessa
18-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Probably, but he's just as creepy. Plus it makes excellent viewing as it is so cringey and just going to end badly.

I think he's a bit weird, but in a good way. He's just so sweet I want to give him a cuddle. Awww! :lovedup:

jet
18-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Whether she meant it as a racist remark is not the issue.

But the fact is she said something that could be taken offensively. Had she put her brain into gear before thinking she would have known that.

To make an assumption that Gina wouldn't go for white guys because she is black is ridiculous.

Big Brother wasn't saying Jemima is racist but telling her to watch what she says because what she's saying could be offensive.

That said, I don't agree with Gina throwing the race card in Jemima's face to try and one-up her during a row. That was out of order.

I agree with this whole post. Gina should NOT have jumped on Jemima with the race card - that was ridiculous - but once J said what she did about Gina not going for white guys she actually DID show a touch of racism. What other explanation is there for that remark? :nono:

Benjamin
18-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Just to put this out there, I know plenty of black girls who don't go for white guys, ever, and are not shy to let people know it. Gina just wanted to get one up on Jemima by playing that the way she did.

Vanessa
18-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Just to put this out there, I know plenty of black girls who don't go for white guys, ever, and are not shy to let people know it. Gina just wanted to get one up on Jemima by playing that the way she did.

I agree.

jet
18-06-2013, 11:10 AM

They aren't saying it in front of millions on BB though.

MilkMaid
18-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Well, I'm offended on behalf of Wolfy that Jemima assumed Gina wouldn't go out with a white MALE. No mention of white females.

Yes, I know that Gina is straight BUT what if she changes orientation in the future, eh? It's just typical of a bigot like Jemima to want to keep people straight!

In fact, I'm going to tell Channel 5 to tell Michael to tell Jemima what a prejudiced, homophobic racist she is right now. He can deliver it in the appropriate way because he's such a good actor. I may even suggest he becomes Prime Minister as soon as he leaves the BB house, which would happen because Channel 5 will be anti-Irish if it doesn't. Yes.

Benjamin
18-06-2013, 11:42 AM
They aren't saying it in front of millions on BB though.

Wouldn't matter. It's still not a racist slur.

CaudleHalbard
18-06-2013, 11:46 AM
It's really very little to do with Jemima and far more to do with BB being petrified of any suggestion they sat on their hands and did nothing.

Even though that may, arguably, have been the best course of action on this instance.

fruit_cake
18-06-2013, 12:21 PM
most of the Jem hate is fickle and based mostly only on her appearance as far as I can see

Kizzy
18-06-2013, 12:29 PM
They have been really canny have BB and put some very large personalities together that all have one thing in common they are all a big fish in a small pond...
In there own social circle they have huge influence, becoming a small fish in a big pond is hard for them.

Marsh.
18-06-2013, 12:37 PM
They have been really canny have BB and put some very large personalities together that all have one thing in common they are all a big fish in a small pond...
In there own social circle they have huge influence, becoming a small fish in a big pond is hard for them.

That's one of the things I love watching. The mean girls struggling for power. :laugh:

I'd say the alpha males too, but they all seem pretty passive compared to the ladies this year.

minty3
18-06-2013, 12:39 PM
i believe she deserved it because i feel she is secretly racist imo.

karezza
18-06-2013, 12:42 PM

You should work for Big Brother as a mind reader. Anyone you suspect of thought crimes could be given a warning.:spin:

Benjamin
18-06-2013, 12:54 PM

How so?

cassieparis
18-06-2013, 01:12 PM
I think it was deserved. Based on Gina's feelings insdie the house.
Gina expressed her feelings, which were that she felt she was the victim of racism.
I surmise that she felt this because of the tone in Jemima's voice when she spoke to her and the things that she said. Jemima had just spent the preceding 48 hours condemning Gina and pointing the finger. - Or at least that is what Gina expressed.
Gina is the only Black person in the house and Jemima along with Sallie and in energy Hazel have bad vibed her since she entered.
Bad vibes plus the sweeping statements about race maybe construed as racism. Hence BB's warning. To leave it would have opened them up to a fine.
I think alot of people would feel similiar to Gina in such a situation. However most people would keep stumm because upset about race is often met with don't be stupid comments or I've got loads of ........ fill in the blank..... friends.

MatthewS
18-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Just 'feeling' offended when the topic of conversation is race related doesn't mean that racism was at play. Racism is a VERY specific thing. Do you actually think Jemima's comment suggest she has a "hatred" towards black people?

Fish_Fingers
18-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Just 'feeling' offended when the topic of conversation is race related doesn't mean that racism was at play. Racism is a VERY specific thing. Do you actually think Jemima's comment suggest she has a "hatred" towards black people?

Steady on! Your idea displays a rather high level of common sense and intelligence, and requires critical thinking skills to take it seriously. Whereas this situation is all about the shrill, knee-jerk reactions of people who generally have no clue.

Livia
18-06-2013, 02:33 PM
.....................However most people would keep stumm because upset about race is often met with don't be stupid comments or I've got loads of ........ fill in the blank..... friends.

Not only have you used a Yiddish word, you've misspelled it. It's 'Schtum'.

You have offended me and Jews everywhere. I hope you're satisfied.

MatthewS
18-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Shall we issue a formal warning? :P

Livia
18-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Shall we issue a formal warning? :P

I think it's the only right thing to do.

Niamh.
18-06-2013, 02:39 PM
:laugh2:

MilkMaid
18-06-2013, 02:54 PM
I think it was deserved. Based on Gina's feelings insdie the house.
Gina expressed her feelings, which were that she felt she was the victim of racism.
I surmise that she felt this because of the tone in Jemima's voice when she spoke to her and the things that she said. Jemima had just spent the preceding 48 hours condemning Gina and pointing the finger. - Or at least that is what Gina expressed.
Gina is the only Black person in the house and Jemima along with Sallie and in energy Hazel have bad vibed her since she entered.
Bad vibes plus the sweeping statements about race maybe construed as racism. Hence BB's warning. To leave it would have opened them up to a fine.
I think alot of people would feel similiar to Gina in such a situation. However most people would keep stumm because upset about race is often met with don't be stupid comments or I've got loads of ........ fill in the blank..... friends.

Daley has left the house then? Or is he not black? Or maybe you haven't noticed him because he's behaving like a civilised person!

I think the reason people have been negative towards Gina is less to do with her race and more related to her obnoxious personality and superiority complex.

Patrick
18-06-2013, 03:50 PM
I'm actually still reeling at this.

mizzy25
18-06-2013, 03:52 PM
of course she didn't deserve it. it utterly ridiculous imo

flamingGalah!
18-06-2013, 04:32 PM
No, Completely OTT by BB & it made me go off Gina, wh until that point was one of my favourites...